Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Know Your Veg*ns (Pictures and info!)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hey rosy, welcome aboard. :)
    Tis a long time you are veggie!
    Well, have a read of some of the threads and you should have a good feel of what goes on here. It's anything veggie related, as well as just general chat. You can swap recipes, tips, whatever your heart desires. Feel free to ask any questions. We do meet up too, from pizza to drinks to camping, whatever you are into. I hope you enjoy your stay and will help however I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rosym

Thanks for the welcome, i will get cracking on reading the thread- theres 34 pages!!! Got a pot of coffee on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

He he! Yes, 34 pages of wisdom (and sillyness); myself and Tar.Aldarion have been here since the forum began so we remember it all :D Welcome!

Well ye all sound like a nice bunch!! So Im 29, live in galway, studied history, soc & pol and then h dip in business studies in NUIG, working as a trainee accountant now. Been a veggie for yonks, i never really liked meat all that much when i was young, and when i realised that the pet lambs were not going up the country "on holidays" then i decided to forsake meat forever!! Also some of my aunties and cousins were veggies, so it seemed like the cool thing to do!!
    Galway isnt a bad place to be for a veggie, the market is pretty good, there are 2 restaurants that i find pretty good for veggie options, Artisan and the spud house- used to be gabhar orga opp AIB. Wouldnt mind though if anyone has any suggestions of other restaurants where there are nice veggie options.
    Off to bed night, as am exhausted from reading 34 pages of posts! you are a busy lot!;)

Hi Rosie, nice to have you here!
    We meet sometimes. I'm hoping we will have some jaunts in the summer.
    I miss an gabhar orga!!! It must be closed donkeys years now though.
    They used to do savage smoked cheese baked potatos.
    I grew up on a farm too, I never got the line about the farm up the country though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Rosym wrote: »
    Well ye all sound like a nice bunch!! So Im 29, live in galway, studied history, soc & pol and then h dip in business studies in NUIG, working as a trainee accountant now. Been a veggie for yonks, i never really liked meat all that much when i was young, and when i realised that the pet lambs were not going up the country "on holidays" then i decided to forsake meat forever!! Also some of my aunties and cousins were veggies, so it seemed like the cool thing to do!!
    Galway isnt a bad place to be for a veggie, the market is pretty good, there are 2 restaurants that i find pretty good for veggie options, Artisan and the spud house- used to be gabhar orga opp AIB. Wouldnt mind though if anyone has any suggestions of other restaurants where there are nice veggie options.
    Off to bed night, as am exhausted from reading 34 pages of posts! you are a busy lot!;)

Hello, fellow Galway veggie :)
    I have never been to either Artisan or Spud House... I think I remember Artisan's menu being expensive... Whereas Spud House has eluded me because I'm never anywhere near it!
    The Pizza and Pasta place down from Neachtains on Cross St has good vegetarian stuff. Also, if you get the marinara pizza without the anchovies it kind of classifies as a vegan pizza, which is cool.
    I don't remember An Gabhar Órga but have heard talk of it.
    I do dream of a great veggie café in Galway but I think it's too beyond me! Someday :p
    Anyway, welcome to the forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Never actually posted a decent picture, so here it goes =]

392.jpg

I'm the one on the left. And no I'm not underage >_<

Yeah that's the dress that I allowed her to wear on the condition that it was HAND WASHED an put back in my wardrobe asap. Weeks later, no sign of dress (and i KNOW that it hasn't been washed yet eww). :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Oh and yeah, the dress is from Jane Norman. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hello fellow nuig person so! Love galway I do, miss it. The market is great, Matar Paneer, samosas, Curry, Falafels, crépes, ok..I'm starving now.

I love the spud house. Anybody that knows me would agree, oh potatoes....mmm :D
    izzyflusky wrote: »
    Yeah that's the dress that I allowed her to wear on the condition that it was HAND WASHED an put back in my wardrobe asap. Weeks later, no sign of dress (and i KNOW that it hasn't been washed yet eww). :mad:
    izzyflusky wrote: »
    Oh and yeah, the dress is from Jane Norman. :)
    hahaha, miss Bruna just got so busted!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the welcomes guys!! Mmmm having hangover munchies, falafels from the market sound great, altho that you mean actually leaving my apt, which i am not so keen on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I've never actually really posted here before, but I figure since I'm a veggie I'll a start having a wee look in this direction! :)

I'm 24 next month and I turned veggie 15 years ago when I was 9. I saw my father eating a really bloody steak and it made me sick, and since then I just decided I wasn't eating meat anymore! I'm not vegan but I don't eat eggs,butter,cheese or milk - I'll eat them if they're in something and I can't taste them but I really just can't stomach them.

So, I'm not a major animal lover, and I wear leather etc., but just the thought of eating anything that was alive and moving makes me physically ill!!

I'm extremely healthy about what I eat, don't eat junk food/takeaways etc. But the main problem I've run into lately is that I'm doing alot of weightlifting and probably not getting enough protein so I've had to look into getting protein shakes to sort that out. See I can't eat tofu either as it looks like meat! See..I'm a crazy...:pac:

Other than all of that, I absolutely LOVE the food in Govindas and the Chimichangas in Cactus Jacks are to die for!!:D

Oh and I can't do the linky thing with the pics!! :(

G86 wrote: »

I'm extremely healthy about what I eat, don't eat junk food/takeaways etc. But the main problem I've run into lately is that I'm doing alot of weightlifting and probably not getting enough protein so I've had to look into getting protein shakes to sort that out. See I can't eat tofu either as it looks like meat! See..I'm a crazy...:pac:

Other than all of that, I absolutely LOVE the food in Govindas and the Chimichangas in Cactus Jacks are to die for!!:D

Great to see you here G86. I never knew you were a veggie too!
    I want to start weight lifting too.
    Tofu is actually soy cheese. It is honestly absolutely nothing like meat, because it totally lacks the taste and texture.
    I used to be skeptical about it too. The idea of meat like things grosses me out.
    I look forward to seeing you around some more :)

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Great to see you here G86. I never knew you were a veggie too!
    I want to start weight lifting too.
    Tofu is actually soy cheese. It is honestly absolutely nothing like meat, because it totally lacks the taste and texture.
    I used to be skeptical about it too. The idea of meat like things grosses me out.
    I look forward to seeing you around some more :)

Ah thanks for the welcome :) I meant Quorn:o
    ..but tofu still grosses me out!

Good luck with your training!

I've never actually really posted here before, but I figure since I'm a veggie I'll a start having a wee look in this direction! :)

I'm 24 next month and I turned veggie 15 years ago when I was 9. I saw my father eating a really bloody steak and it made me sick, and since then I just decided I wasn't eating meat anymore! I'm not vegan but I don't eat eggs,butter,cheese or milk - I'll eat them if they're in something and I can't taste them but I really just can't stomach them.

So, I'm not a major animal lover, and I wear leather etc., but just the thought of eating anything that was alive and moving makes me physically ill!!

Hey G86, welcome! Enjoy oyur time here!
    Was in lovely Govindas last night, mmmmmmmmmm. Must try out cactus Jacks.

Hey G8, Beans and pulses are a great source of protein, If you like spicy food, you could make a veggie chilli, and add some kidney beans to it. Hoummous and Falafels are made from chickpeas so they are a good source of protein. I think you are probably thinking about soya protein- thats made sometimes to look like meat, eg mincemeat, chicken- not wild about that stuff myself, but tofu is ok, it has a texture kinda like scrambled eggs, tastes ok too. They sell it in evergreen, you could try it in a stir fry? Or if you go to the noodlehouse(Da Tangs) in town, alot of their dishes have tofu- quite tasty!!!

• Advertisement

Hey- did anyone notice the supermacs ad on this page for burgers!!! Think they are targeting the wrong audience here ;)

haha I switched off ads but that's a good one. Trying to get us back in the fold :p

Ah thanks for the welcome :) I meant Quorn:o
    ..but tofu still grosses me out!

Good luck with your training!

I can't help you there....I'm scared of quorn myself. :o
    Hey- did anyone notice the supermacs ad on this page for burgers!!! Think they are targeting the wrong audience here ;)

:P

They monitor where you have been online, and tailor the ads specifically for you. To try have a better chance of selling you stuff.
    What have you been googling Rosy? :P

Cheers for the welcome guys! :) I love kidney beans! I usually make a mixed bean salad with cous cous to take in to work and it's yum :) I really do need to expand my diet though, see I try to keep carbs lowish so I end up tending to stick to the same things all the time!

Oooh veggie chilli...yum...I've had that before but I've never made it myself.

I can't help you there....I'm scared of quorn myself. :o

They monitor where you have been online, and tailor the ads specifically for you. To try have a better chance of selling you stuff.
    What have you been googling Rosy? :P
    Yeah, what type of meat :p
    Cheers for the welcome guys! :) I love kidney beans! I usually make a mixed bean salad with cous cous to take in to work and it's yum :) I really do need to expand my diet though, see I try to keep carbs lowish so I end up tending to stick to the same things all the time!

Oooh veggie chilli...yum...I've had that before but I've never made it myself.
    mixed beans + cous couse is so great nom nom.
    I'm terrible for sticking to the same things, but I do love them!

• Advertisement

Yeah, what type of meat :p

mixed beans + cous couse is so great nom nom.
    I'm terrible for sticking to the same things, but I do love them!

This girl I work with is always commenting on my lunches, like she'll sit there with her 'death by cholestorol' lunch and look at my cous cous or whatever and go 'oh so not mixing it up today then G no?'

Argghhh:rolleyes::pac:

The way I see it is if I like it then why wouldn't I keep eating it? :)

Exactly! nomnom! I don't get tired of things easily. I do the same with songs and everything though, listen to the same one a hundred times. heh.

What have you been googling Rosy? :P[/QUOTE]

Er very strange, can honestly say i havent been googling chicken burgers!!! Altho have been known to order the pizza papa johns do- its savage!!

Oh meant to ask- wheres govindas?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

Wheee!!
    Fizz! Bang!

Just said I'd pop by, see whats what, spread the good wishes and ask how did the meet up go?
    :D

Yaay Easter bank holiday!! :D

Also wagamamas totally tested now and thoroughly approved! :D

Oh meant to ask- wheres govindas?
    Visiting for it are we? :p
    I'd kill for the stall in galway, his mataar paneer is so good.
    Wheee!!
    Fizz! Bang!

Just said I'd pop by, see whats what, spread the good wishes and ask how did the meet up go?
    :D

Yaay Easter bank holiday!! :D

Also wagamamas totally tested now and thoroughly approved! :D

Still have to try that one out myself, nomnom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pandora_mole

Hi everyone - as you can see this is my first post on boards, even though I've read stuff on the site for quite some time.

So here goes - I'm 27, a Parsi (if anyone knows what that is) originally from India and have lived in Dublin since 2002. I've been vegetarian since I was 13 and saw chickens being slaughtered in a market in Lonawala. Parsi cuisine is made up of some unbelievably tasty non-veg food, as is Persian cuisine, but thankfully, being in India, going veg was not a problem as cooking is something everyone girl has to learn when still young!! Not that I was complaining....!

Nearly fourteen years later, my entire family back in India is vegetarian, and OH who is Irish has reduced meat consumption dramatically.

I'm nearly vegan as I never liked milk or dairy products, except for cheese on pizza as a treat. As for leather etc, again seeing how cows are treated in India for their hide, I would never wear leather.

I have not managed to make many friends in Ireland, because of my job (which is quite isolated - that of a classical musician/piano teacher) and because I am really hopeless at small talk, even though I'm extremely talkative with people I know well, and trust! Also because I prefer the company of cats and dogs to human beings :P Except the OH and two or three friends :)

I actually typed "vegan" into boards, so I could find some interesting recipies, but I read most of this thread, and thought that I should add my crazy ramblings to the post!

I love Govindas too!! :D

I don't know how to post a photo on boards - does it have to be uploaded to another website?!

Hi everyone - as you can see this is my first post on boards, even though I've read stuff on the site for quite some time.

So here goes - I'm 27, a Parsi (if anyone knows what that is) originally from India and have lived in Dublin since 2002. I've been vegetarian since I was 13 and saw chickens being slaughtered in a market in Lonawala. Parsi cuisine is made up of some unbelievably tasty non-veg food, as is Persian cuisine, but thankfully, being in India, going veg was not a problem as cooking is something everyone girl has to learn when still young!! Not that I was complaining....!

Nearly fourteen years later, my entire family back in India is vegetarian, and OH who is Irish has reduced meat consumption dramatically.

I'm nearly vegan as I never liked milk or dairy products, except for cheese on pizza as a treat. As for leather etc, again seeing how cows are treated in India for their hide, I would never wear leather.

I have not managed to make many friends in Ireland, because of my job (which is quite isolated - that of a classical musician/piano teacher) and because I am really hopeless at small talk, even though I'm extremely talkative with people I know well, and trust! Also because I prefer the company of cats and dogs to human beings :P Except the OH and two or three friends :)

I actually typed "vegan" into boards, so I could find some interesting recipies, but I read most of this thread, and thought that I should add my crazy ramblings to the post!

I love Govindas too!! :D

I don't know how to post a photo on boards - does it have to be uploaded to another website?!
    Hello Pandora mole - funny name, welcome to the forum! Thanks for the detailed post. :)
    I thinka parsi is somebody descended from persians in India or members of some religion beginning with a Z, I don't really know as you can see. :p
    I like your job, always wanted to learn the piano. I'm sure if you go to teh veggie meetups you would make pals out of some of us
    Govindas is indeed great. :D

You cn either upload it to another site like I outline in teh first post of this thread or simply go to 'advanced' when making a post and you can attach one there.

Welcome! Lovely first post on boards :D I hope you'll be joining in our other threads and maybe even our freshly started cooking club! Those cookies sound delicious...

To post a picture, go to reply, click "Go Advanced", go to "Attach Files" (in the Additional Options box) and manage attachments :)

Edit: I see Tar got there first with the advice ;)

Hello again :) Thank you for the replies!! Okay - figured the photo thing out. Hopefully I can edit the damn thing out if need be, yes?

Yes, Zoroastrianism is the religion, even though I'm possibly the least religious person on the planet! :D I always say, same race/religion as Freddie Mercury just to keep it simple! :rolleyes:

Pandora Mole - the name comes from the Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend - Pandora was the Adrian's first love! Yes, I'm a bit of an idiot! :P

Thank you both once more! :D

• Advertisement

Hello again :) Thank you for the replies!! Okay - figured the photo thing out. Hopefully I can edit the damn thing out if need be, yes?

Yes, Zoroastrianism is the religion, even though I'm possibly the least religious person on the planet! :D I always say, same race/religion as Freddie Mercury just to keep it simple! :rolleyes:

Pandora Mole - the name comes from the Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend - Pandora was the Adrian's first love! Yes, I'm a bit of an idiot! :P

Thank you both once more! :D

Oh hello there new face. You can edit it out for 48 hours, and then you can't. If you ever want to remove it from the net just ask me and I can do it. Yeah the one with the Z, I was so right haha. Do you get nods, 'ah freddie mercury, yes, yes I see'. :p
    Ah no, it's a good name, it sounds funny. I had imagines of the box in pandoras box being a mole and running about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Lurker here, Jeremiah is my name (as if you haven't guessed).

I have been thinking of trying vegetarianism for awhile, but I can't give up chocolate at the minute, never mind meat. Do people wean themselves off it or just a sudden sharp shock?

I guess its kind of for moral reasons that I want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I have been thinking of trying vegetarianism for awhile, but I can't give up chocolate at the minute, never mind meat. Do people wean themselves off it or just a sudden sharp shock?

It's upto you and what kind of personality you have. Most people would prefer a gradual change to a sudden thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

I suppose I’ll join in! I’m a Dun Laoghaire gal, been vegan for the past 3 years and was vegetarian for 6 years previous to that. I am currently doing a PhD in the field of chemistry... And I absolutely love to bake vegan cakes; you try and stop me! Mmmmm vegan doughnuts, profiteroles, sticky toffee pudding, cookies, orange chocolate muffins, chocolate mousse... :D

Hey Sweet Rasmus, how do you make doughnuts and profiteroles without eggs. Care to share the recipe?

Up to you, sounds like you should take it slow. I know a few people that are currently doing jsut that atm. I went cold turkey, harhar. Didn't eat much for a few weeks. :p

Maglight wrote: »
    Hey Sweet Rasmus, how do you make doughnuts and profiteroles without eggs. Care to share the recipe?
    Well, where egg is needed, I just use:
    no-egg.jpg
    It costs about €3.60 in your local health food store :) Mind you, for profiteroles, let the roux cool a bit before adding the 'no egg', because I find that stuff goes hard and lumpy if you add it to hot mixtures. I used oatmilk, pure spread and soya whipping cream in the recipes too. I just followed a recipe cook books for both.

I think that once you have a strong conviction about something, that is enough to drive you. If the reason isn't there in your mind, then it's a much harder task. I think the main thing you can do is to start cooking vegetarian meals at home, and see how you do. There are lots of ideas around this forum, as I am sure you have seen. Once you have mastered your diet at home then it's easier to master it when out with friends etc. And you have us all in the forum to chat to as you go along too :)

I think that once you have a strong conviction about something, that is enough to drive you. If the reason isn't there in your mind, then it's a much harder task. I think the main thing you can do is to start cooking vegetarian meals at home, and see how you do. There are lots of ideas around this forum, as I am sure you have seen. Once you have mastered your diet at home then it's easier to master it when out with friends etc. And you have us all in the forum to chat to as you go along too :)

I couldn't agree more. Call me old fashioned, but I've never really been able to stomach the idea of eating meat, or animal products once I realized that a fish or chicken or goat was no different to eating cat or dog. Over the years I've heard some RIDICULOUS reasons that people justify eating meat like "oh the cow is a useless animal"....but yes, it's much easier if you know others who are also vegetarian. I found it very tough initially in Ireland, as my in-laws even now do not understand it, but to each their own:) This is a great forum! :):D:D

Pandora's pet mole.

Oh hello there new face. You can edit it out for 48 hours, and then you can't. If you ever want to remove it from the net just ask me and I can do it. Yeah the one with the Z, I was so right haha. Do you get nods, 'ah freddie mercury, yes, yes I see'. :p
    Ah no, it's a good name, it sounds funny. I had imagines of the box in pandoras box being a mole and running about.

Damn, I'm so slow to cop on to this whole quote thing!!!

yes I get knowing nods all the time! It's quite endearing really !!:):cool:

• Advertisement

Ah no, you seem to be quicker than a lot of people at the start heh.
    Pandora's pet mole - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

:) meat is easier to avoid than chocolate!

I just went cold turkey, if you eat a lot of veg anyway it shouldn't come as too much of a shock to the system. Plus! there's lots of meat alternatives that kinda have a similar texture like Quorn/Linda McCarty etc to help you just substitute straight away! :D
    Call me old fashioned, but I've never really been able to stomach the idea of eating meat, or animal products once I realized that a fish or chicken or goat was no different to eating cat or dog. Over the years I've heard some RIDICULOUS reasons that people justify eating meat like "oh the cow is a useless animal"....
    Pandora's pet mole.

lol! yes or "cows would die out if we didnt use them, we're keeping a species alive!" lets say pffff! to those reasons :3

also i'm imaging professor layton finding you as a tiny mole! :D

jailbait
    25305_414005725490_512260490_5509406_6013156_n.jpg

jailbait
    Care to explain to all? Unless this more suited to the Grapevine...

It's a picture of me.

It's a picture of me.

Um :o
    Your not the seedy oul fella are ya?

• Advertisement

Haha I'm on the left, other two are two of my brothers.

I was just formulating an elaborate chocolate avoiding strategy for you.
    When it occured to me, that it might be the meat you want to give up. :o

I phased things out slowly and gradually. I didn't really even notice myself becoming a veggie.
    You could start by cutting out things that are more ethically objectionable.
    Like factory farmed meats. And go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I was just formulating an elaborate chocolate avoiding strategy for you.

Well, I'll take that strategy too, though it may be off topic here. Just finished an Easter Egg on my own.

When it occured to me, that it might be the meat you want to give up. :o

I phased things out slowly and gradually. I didn't really even notice myself becoming a veggie.
    You could start by cutting out things that are more ethically objectionable.
    Like factory farmed meats. And go from there.

Yes, that is a good suggestion actually. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

If i can figure out this mobile phone internet dealy i'll post some pics of me. I haven't been contributing to this thread much

Yeah and we are still waiting on pix from the last night out. :p

you know how to get em on your comp yeah?
    Still dunno what song you are on about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement