Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

Started back with a cpap machine a few days ago. Its the airsense 10. I initially tried it a few years back but couldnt get used to it. I had no choice but to try it again.
    Despite receiving decent scores on the app, I dont wake up feeling any better or refreshed.
    Gonna stick with it though and hopefully things improve

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a bit of a breakthough recently. I was put on permanent pressure rather than demand pressure, set at 19 - which is high - as I was not responding adequately to demand pressure. It didn't seem to be making a lot of difference, and I had tightened the mask to keep it on. Then I found the foam seal was splitting so I contacted Resmed and got an appointment with their nurse/technician. She said that I was getting a lot of events in the half hour ramp period so she removed the ramp. There was also another issue related to exhaling, that I didn't understand but she changed. It made a lot of difference. The immediate high pressure is a bit unnerving at first, but I have got used to it, and I have been getting much better scores, including a couple of 0.0, which I have never got before. I still get high numbers if I lie on my back but I mostly have trained myself not to do that and its only occasional. I am still not getting much better than 5 hours sleep, but I have some ideas to try and improve that.

This kind of proactive approach by the technician is way more than I have ever had from a consultant, they never seem to manage more than fiddling with overall pressure or moving from demand to permanent pressure, and in fact some of the stuff some consultants have told me amounts to pure nonsense.

Which mask are you using? I have been trying to figure out if the nasal mask or this newer pillow one works better, its the airfit n30

I have the Airtouch F20 cushion, full face, they have to be replaced every month.

I tried that one in the past. Once a month? Does the seal break or what? I would have thought you would get longer out of it

• Advertisement

It has quite a delicate foam/sponge seal on it that cannot be washed so after a month it becomes ineffective because of the build up of facial oils. I can often get it to go to 5 weeks but on average it lasts a bit over a month. I use one until I get excess leakage from it then change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

I found that I can extend the life of the F20 cushion mask to 2 - 3 months by cleaning my face before bed with a baby wipe and cleaning the mask with a wipe in the morning. They're expensive but worth it for comfort and seal so the longer I can get out of them the better!

Advertisement