Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I also find that it did not give me the rested sleep or energy levels I was hoping for. I do feel slightly worse and more groggy in the mornings when I don't wear the mask, so it is having some mild benefit. But I wonder sometimes if there is more than just my sleep apnea going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was recently in hospital for a few nights and was fortunate to have a bed that was both very comfortable and could slope up at the top end. I left the top sloping up a bit with my pillows on it and had the best night's sleep I had had in a long time. So now at home I have 3 pillows with a folded blanket in front of them making a similar wedge shape, while I try to organise a wedge pillow (which is easier said than done). I sleep on my side. I feel I have been sleeping better like this. Its not just a matter of having a pile of pillows, you need to lift your ribcage a bit.

This might not work for anyone else but I feel it has helped me.

As to purchasing the machine, if you enquire with Resmed you might be able to purchase the machine you are using for considerably less than a new one would cost. I was offered my previous machine for €300, which I felt even then was a bit cheeky as I had had it for a number of years and it was well out of date. After 6 years yours should be paid for and then some. Of course you are getting the rest of the service as well, but even so it might be worth asking. I find after 3 years with the app I don't look at it nearly as often these days as I did at the start, but it does give an incentive to be consistent using the machine.

Bit of a long shot here, but I have 3 new, still sealed, Airtouch F20 cushion mask inserts in Large size that were sent to me in error (I use Medium) and they didn't want them back. If anyone can use them I would be happy to send them on. I hate to just throw them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

• Advertisement

PM me your name and address and I will send them on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Quiksilver

Hey all, on CPAP for a few months now and hoping someone can give me a little advice.

I'm currently renting a G3 A20 Auto CPAP System, for €100 a month, i'm going to but a machine i think. I'm quite comfortable using the cpap so i don't see the point in renting anymore. The company i'm rent from from will sell the machine for €1000 but a few online shops have G3 A20 for about €575 which is much cheaper. How long are people getting out of their heated tubes and masks? If they aren't physically damaged surly they could be cleaned with a dilute mixture of Milton and water to kill any bacteria? Perhaps having two tubes and masks as to clean one and having another to use while the cleaned one dries out and lets residual fumes evaporate out. It seems a shame to be throwing out a mask of tube that isn't physically damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Just started. Same machine. My company will rent at €104 pm or sell for €1600!

Yes, it can be sourced for €500.

I assume those selling at €500 are making a profit, so let's assume worst case base price is €400.

That means the (consultant prescribed) Irish crowds have a 4 month return on investment.

Private patients paying through nose (excuse pun), the taxpayer funded health service being exploited as it is the drug refund scheme or medical cards paying also.

The hospital stay sleep studies and their costs!! Don't get me started. Nothing in the technologies used that is not being offered as home analysis in other countries.

Sleep apnoea treatment keeps hospital beds empty in short to medium term. Yet in this country it has become a cash cow for some. If you can't pay, join the public queue for an analysis.

Would love to see some investigative "follow the money" journalism on the topic.

Sorry. Just noticed that I hijacked your post for my rant. Will be doing more research myself on masks, as this one keeps waking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone else get a recall message from the supplier in relation to magnets used in masks?? Philips recalled machines last year and now they arerecell masks it seems. Something to do with the facemask magnetic clips giving off a magnetic field that can have an influence on electronic devices in the area.

• Advertisement

Are CPAP rentals now included under the drugs payment scheme?

Reason I ask is my rental provider included a DPS claim form with my invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hey Guys...... I have been out of contract for over 16 months now and feel that I need a replacement Nose-Mask.

Any recommendations of where to get one on-line (Ire or EU preferrably)

I am using an ESON 2 as below ......ALl help greatly appreciated.

PS... will probably need all teh parts replaced.... headgear a bit battered at this stage too

I see them on cpapstore.eu at 89.

Hungary based company. From research, legit crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Been using boiled tap water the last 3 years for my CPAP but someone recently said I should be using distilled, any advice here?

I use boiled water (from a well) in mine, also about 3 years. I do have a tiny bit of limescale build up in the tray which I treat with vinegar and water at intervals, but haven't had any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I just fill up with tap water, not boiled. Any issues with this??

You should use pure or distilled.

Boiled or well water does not remove contaminants.

5 litre pure from chemist about €6.

If not, it will leave residue. What issues this residue will cause I cannot quantify, but it is a costly piece of kit, so best take steps to avoid scale and residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

CPAP rental has been covered under DPS for years. I save up my DPS receipts and my CPAP receipts for about 6 months and then send them all in with the forms, it takes about 2 months to receive a cheque from them but it's like a handy little savings account that pays out occasionally 😀

Never knew that, wonder how many years you can go back?

• Advertisement

I have to claim mine back for the last few years. Will do it some day over Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I’ve checked the claim form and there’s no time limit listed. You need your DPS receipts from your pharmacy purchases as well as the CPAP receipts to claim back any money.

You can only claim for the amount spent which is over the monthly cap. Presumably now that they have lowered the cap to €80 you could claim for the rental cost about this (ie if your rental is €100 you could claim €20 a month) even if you don’t have pharmacy purchases under DPS. Up until recently the monthly cap was higher so if you only have the CPAP costs there was nothing to claim.

I always spend the full cap on prescriptions in the pharmacy every month so the cpap rental is fully refunded for me.

Details here -https://www2.hse.ie/services/schemes-allowances/drugs-payment-scheme/refunds/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

HI All.... did anyone respond last year to Phillips re their recall of their Responsics machine whereby you were asked to submit your serial number to see if it was up fore recall due to a possible fault??

Anyway - I sent in my serial number and just got an email to say that ' a swap has been arranged for next Thursday at my home address' .....

That's great for me.... a NEW machine for my 3 yr old one!!!! BUT is it TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE????

Anyone ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Yes I got the same, my machine was 10 years old though so I replaced it myself when that notice went out. I'm interested to see what will arrive and if they actually want the old one back. I think its in the attic somewhere in case it was ever needed again!!

They gave me a new machine, looks the very same as the old model can see no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

What model did you get and did they want the old one back?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wrong thread post!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Recliner

Hi

Quick question.

Is there any type of electricity credit available because of having to use the CPAP every night?

I don't use one, my OH does, but we've never considered the financial cost of running it 365 nights a year.

• Advertisement

Maximum CPAP power seems to be max 0.06kW.

So eight hours (lucky him if so) would be about 0.5kWh.

If you are paying a rate of 40c / kWh (safe estimate), that equates to about 20c per night, so about €73 per annum.

Never heard of any credits available.

Advertisement