Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

1181920212224»

Comments

• Strange request.... but I have an in-law working in Hong Kong and he due to come home in August for a months holidays. Was gonna ask him to source a few replacement masks for me and bring them home in his luggage.

Anyone on here deal with a HK supplier that I can put him in touch with

Told u it was strange!!

• Not sure if it’s allowed but I’m selling a CPAP machine. Brand new, never used. Pm me if interested. Thanks

• Sorry if this has been asked before; do Revenue accept CPAP as medical appliance for tax relief? (Purchase not rental)

I read the info on Revenue website, cpap isn't listed, though they do say it's not an exhaustive list.

Has anyone here claimed tax relief?

• Sorry if this has been asked before; do Revenue accept CPAP as medical appliance for tax relief? (Purchase not rental)

I read the info on Revenue website, cpap isn't listed, though they do say it's not an exhaustive list.

I haven’t claimed tax relief as I rent a machine (I’m already over the monthly limit for the Drug Payment Scheme so it’s not worth it for me to buy) but it looks like it should be covered so long as you have a prescription/letter from a medical practitioner saying that you need it:
    3.4 Surgical, Dental or Nursing Appliances Relief is allowed on the costs incurred on the:
    • supply,
    • maintenance, or • repair
    of any medical, surgical, dental or nursing appliance used on the advice of a practitioner.
    Appliance Confirmation
    Where there is any doubt that the appliance in question is a medical, surgical, dental or nursing appliance, a certificate from a medical practitioner should be obtained which:
    a) states the nature of the patient's illness,
    b) confirms that the appliance is being used on the advice of a medical
    practitioner, and
    c) outlines how the appliance will help to prevent, diagnose, alleviate or treat
    the ailment, injury, infirmity, defect or disability from which the patient is suffering.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-15/15-01-12.pdf

• Got an update on delivery today from cpapstore.eu.

Yes it is shipped from Greece!

Thanks for reassurance, its a big chunk of change & I was starting to worry.

• Advertisement

You should get it for purchase, I get it for rental. With tax back and €200 refund from Laya along with a replacement mask in my agreement it’s effectively cost neutral.

• Talking about replacement masks,how often do they have to be replaced.

• What sort are they? Memory foam ones have to be changed each month.

• looksee wrote: »
    What sort are they? Memory foam ones have to be changed each month.

I've found that if I clean them carefully, I get a lot more out of them (up to 6 months) with no impact on seal.

• What do you use to clean them? I have wiped mine with water wipes but didn't find any improvement. Also I imagine the pressure level would make a difference. I find I need a new one each month.

• Advertisement

What do you use to clean them? I have wiped mine with water wipes but didn't find any improvement. Also I imagine the pressure level would make a difference. I find I need a new one each month.

I soak em in warm water, squeeze out as much as I can, and let them hang to dry. I think I'm at pressure 12, perhaps if you are a lot higher you need a better seal.

What do you use to clean them? I have wiped mine with water wipes but didn't find any improvement. Also I imagine the pressure level would make a difference. I find I need a new one each month.

I fill sink with hot water and put in some some Milton Sterlising fluid... same stuff as used in babies bottles. Then steep mu silicon mask, tubing and straps into same and leave a while. Ten rinse out with cold water and hang to dry

Same with water container.....

• After a good deal of argument I have the pressure down to 16, I find I can mostly keep the seal at that level, using the memory foam masks.

• wanted to update that my delivery arrived safely today!

I don't want to mention the company by name, but I did try and purchase this from a local supplier here in Ireland; I made three phone calls, asked for more information, and I'm still waiting for a call back from them.

• Great specific details discussed in this thread. Useful.

• https://mwmlegal.ie/sleep-apnoea-a-blow-for-sufferers-as-philips-issues-recall/

• I’m affected by this. Had no clue it was an issue. Really annoyed my supplier only told me today months after it became known. So now I have no useable machine and no clue for how long

Advertisement