Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bus cancelled so one of my mates a donegal lad in Sligo is going to drive.

Anyway, I've had a rethink....

If everything goes as expected this weekend and Tyrone, Donegal, Kerry, Dublin all win then the route to the final is clear for all teams.

QF - Mayo Vs Donegal
    QF - Monaghan Vs Tyrone

SF - Kerry Vs Tyrone/Monghan
    SF - Dublin Vs Mayo/Donegal

Final - Winner of the two semis.

Donegal beating Galway gives Tyrone a very good outside chance of getting to the final. I think we'd have a much better chance against Monaghan and Kerry than we would the other route with Mayo and Dublin in the way.

Monaghan and Kerry are both teams we could get at. Monaghan beat us well in the first game in the league 0-7 to 1-13 but they only beat us by a point last year in the Ulster championship and we beat them two years ago in the AI 1/4 finals by two points. Very evenly matched teams and we've been improving all the way though the championship.

Kerry at Croker would be next in the semi's and that would be a mouthwatering game. We drew in the league this year in a very good game up in Omagh. They beat us by ten points in 2012 and you'd have thought they won 3 AI's at once the way they celebrated. Before that it was 2008 when we last met in the Championship and we beat them in the final. In the 6 years before that we beat them 3-4 times in Croker.

I'd go into the next few games with some confidence that we can put in a really good performance and hope that we can get wins. This is the first time in a few years I've felt like this late in the year.

I still can't see us getting past a Dublin or Mayo in the final but if Donegal scraped though I think we'd beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

I'm genuinely surprised and delighted with our current position. I don't think we will progress that much further this year. But with this football team and our recent success with our hurling team I can finally see us back on an upward curve within the county.

mallards wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised and delighted with our current position. I don't think we will progress that much further this year. But with this football team and our recent success with our hurling team I can finally see us back on an upward curve within the county.

We have every chance of beating Monaghan if we get there. I'd say that's a 50/50 game. If we can go that far then it's a semi-final with a relatively young team with a load of excellent U21's coming after them. I'm more optimistic about the future than I've been for years.

We'd all have taken a semi-final at the start of the year I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

so if tyrone reach the q final or even semi final would this mean harte will be safe in his job for next year? or will the county board move against him regardless?

so if tyrone reach the q final or even semi final would this mean harte will be safe in his job for next year? or will the county board move against him regardless?

Hard to know. I think someone said his contract is up this year so maybe he was sacrificing the league to try to give the championship one more big push before going himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Jayop wrote: »
    Hard to know. I think someone said his contract is up this year so maybe he was sacrificing the league to try to give the championship one more big push before going himself?

Sacrifice the league??????!!!
    So what he sent players out to lose.

JB81 wrote: »
    Sacrifice the league??????!!!
    So what he sent players out to lose.

No, I mean they would have been timing the training more towards this time in the year rather than bursting for the league. Also trying out players and combinations to use now.

Sure all teams try out new players in the league, and aim to peak later in the year, so does that mean they all sacrifice the league.
    Cause if that's the case Dublin are crap at it, imagine the disappointment when they won it!!

Sure all teams try out new players in the league, and aim to peak later in the year, so does that mean they all sacrifice the league.
    Cause if that's the case Dublin are crap at it, imagine the disappointment when they won it!!

I think you're missing the point. I'm by no means trying to say that we've intentionally gone out to lose games or to do badly, but it's quite plausible that in past years when we've given the league and Ulster a really good push we've seen players burnt out and injured come August. It's pure conjecture, but we've been told for years that Kerry don't get going until August and that's pretty easy for them given they've usually only ever got one game of note in Munster to prepare for. My point is that we've perhaps trained a little easier than previous seasons at the very start of the year so the lads are as fresh as possible at the business end.

Baloney

• Advertisement

Possibly. Like I've said, it's pure conjecture.

Teams trying to time their peak is a very real thing and historically it's been detrimental to Ulster teams because getting though Ulster was so difficult they had to be at peak sooner so when they got to the semi's it's been too tough. It's no coincidence that since the back door came in Ulster has fared much better in terms of AI's won and appearances in finals.

Or maybe teams train hard early in the season to build up their fitness ready for battle, and later in the year train less aggressively in order to maintain fitness without being over tired for next match and concentrate on tactics for any given match

You seem to be dismissing the fact players can get burnt out through too much training and too many games. Injuries care also more prevalent in this instance too.

Anyway, I'm not going to go round in circles about it as it's nothing more than me speculating on very little evidence apart from our terrible league campaign and our gradual improvement along the qualifiers.

Just giving my opinion.
    And i don't think we had a terrible league campaign.

I thought we competed pretty well considering, as I would not rank us in the top 5/6 teams in the country at the moment. Hopefully they will prove me wrong in the coming weeks, but i think we will find it very tough against Mayo or Monaghan providing we get past sligo.

We drew with Dublin, Kerry and beat Mayo, Cork beat us by a point ( although after last week doesn't say much ), and the two poor results were a draw with derry and donegal gave us a good beating, Monaghan as they have shown are pretty decent.
    We were close to staying up in a very competitive league in which at least 5 if not 6 of the other seven teams i would rank as better teams than us.

Fine margins, bear in mind if we had beat Kerry by two they were relegated and we stayed up and if they had beat us by one they would have been in the semi finals.

I don't think we have anything to fear facing Monaghan or Kerry if we progress that far. Neither team are too far ahead of us when you look at the last few meetings between the league and the championship. Mayo and Dublin are the only two sides I would really be worried about meeting now.

I agree that we shouldn't fear them, i just feel on their day they would be favourites as I think they have more to them and are better teams/panels.

Anyway we are all shouting for Donegal on Saturday then i take it

I agree that we shouldn't fear them, i just feel on their day they would be favourites as I think they have more to them and are better teams/panels.

Anyway we are all shouting for Donegal on Saturday then i take it

110%.

Are you going to the game? Got my ticket yesterday for the lower Cusack. Apparently up at the end but I'm sure I'll be able to grab a seat closer to the halfway line.

Won't make it.
    Will be in Cork for the weekend, will be watching somewhere in the city

Tyrone:
    N Morgan,
    A McCrory,
    R McNamee,
    R Brennan,
    R McNabb,
    Joe McMahon,
    P Harte,
    C Cavanagh,
    M Donnelly,
    T McCann,
    M Bradley,
    C Meyler,
    D McCurry,
    S Cavanagh,
    C McAliskey.

Surprised to see Brennan in ahead of say Justin Mc'Mahon ( who may not be fully fit though ). Otherwise team almost picks itself, i still think O'Neill is a better keeper. And if i see Morgan going up to hit a free i will be disgusted, he was 0 for 4 ( if not 5 ) against Tipp.

To be fair he only missed one from inside the 45 and that was his last one which hit the post. I'd say confidence was shot at that stage.

He seems the kind of lad that needs to put the first one over to have any chance of getting the rest of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I'd rather see Cavanagh take them, or else take a short one and try and work it closer to goals. If we get to the latter stages, we can't be wasting frees like we have been.

Good to hear Brian McGuigan on Off the Ball last night. Nearly forget how many class players we had back in the day. Must keep an eye on our half forward line on Saturday, see how they perform. They were pointing it out as an area where we've been chopping and changing a lot.

Lining up like this according to the Tyrone Twitter account.
    Morgan;
    McCrory,McNamee,RBrennan;
    McNabb,JoeyMc,Harte;
    ColmCav&MattyD;
    TMcCann,Bradley,Meyler;
    McCurry,SeanCav,McAliskey

Cav in full forward was probably the most predictable move in the history of the GAA. Correct like, but predictable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Bit of a mixed bag today. Did what they had to do (still never lost a 4th round qualifier) but won't be giving Monaghan any sleepless nights. Couple of goals would have been nice, but at least we're creating chances. Still think we'll beat them next weekend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Couple of goals would have been nice
    I think if you really needed them it would have been a different story. Thought Tyrone took points when goals were on, at least twice in the second half.

Yeah and I was happy enough that we created a few goal chances.

Sligo were poor do we still don't know where Tyrone are but Monaghan is a great test.

Marty Duffy is ref for the monaghan game. He's always good for at least 5 points against tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jayop wrote: »
    Marty Duffy is ref for the monaghan game. He's always good for at least 5 points against tyrone.

Every county thinks that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »

Marty did a good job for Kildare v Cork.

So good that he did not make it into Corks "aring of grievances" this week

keane2097 wrote: »

They do but I really mean it. He's always woefully anti-Tyrone. I live in Sligo so I get the pleasure of seeing him in lots of club games and even the Sligo heads I talk to say the same thing about him and Tyrone.

Fingers crossed he'll be excellent on Saturday as he was a week or two ago in a game I watched (can't remember which one but I remember commenting on it).

• Advertisement

Marty did a good job for Kildare v Cork.

So good that he did not make it into Corks "aring of grievances" this week

That's the game I'm thinking of.

Advertisement