Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,820 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's also not a lot of fun.

Thought it would be a follow up to super turrican 2. But what it is is a bad euro shooter that is worse than any of the turrican games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Inviere wrote: »
    Rendering Ranger R2 is outrageous....I'd never heard of it before seeing it in the below video. Absolute voodoo coding :eek:

Rendering Ranger R2 looks amazing! I dont think I've ever come across that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,247 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Rendering Ranger R2 looks amazing! I dont think I've ever come across that one.

It was stupidly expensive when I went to buy it about ten years ago so I'd say you'll need a mortgage now!

o1s1n wrote: »
    It was stupidly expensive when I went to buy it about ten years ago so I'd say you'll need a mortgage now!

Yeah, just had a look around. Seems to be about €800 cart only, €1500+ complete :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cough... cough... Everdrive... cough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah, just had a look around. Seems to be about €800 cart only, €1500+ complete :eek:

Ouch!

It's incredible what the coder managed to do with it, and hard to believe it's running on a Snes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You would all love Elusive stuff over here, make some new beers too

Overdrive+Cask_17.jpg

450x450.jpg

Hmm,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone know if Metal Slug XX is worth a punt if you've already played 7 on the DS?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,820 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm,

Finally, these games can shine for the.... perfectly acceptable slices of mediocrity that they are.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Finally, these games can shine for the.... perfectly acceptable slices of mediocrity that they are.

You're being very generous there...

Master of the Universe

Speaking of Zelda games, I gave my missus A Link Between Worlds to play last weekend as I thought she might like it. She hasn't played a Zelda game since Link's Awakening when she was a kid.

Played it for 10 hours on Saturday and 9 hours on Sunday. :eek: Almost got through the whole game. I felt like a proper videogame widower!

Is now asking me for something else to play, I have suggested Luigi's Mansion 2... will see how it goes!

I thought it would be cool to play through Triforce Heroes but I see you can't play it two player, such a shame.

You're being very generous there...

Hey, it's not my fault you are a Zelda CDi scrub that couldn't master the complex mechanicals of the glorious CDi joypad or Zelda CDi's complex RNG enemy spawning.

Speaking of Zelda games, I gave my missus A Link Between Worlds to play last weekend as I thought she might like it. She hasn't played a Zelda game since Link's Awakening when she was a kid.

Played it for 10 hours on Saturday and 9 hours on Sunday. :eek: Almost got through the whole game. I felt like a proper videogame widower!

Is now asking me for something else to play, I have suggested Luigi's Mansion 2... will see how it goes!

I thought it would be cool to play through Triforce Heroes but I see you can't play it two player, such a shame.

I really need to play a link between worlds. I heard it's incredible. I'll have to dig it out of the attic next time I'm home in the parents but it's currently under lockdown!

I really need to play a link between worlds. I heard it's incredible. I'll have to dig it out of the attic next time I'm home in the parents but it's currently under lockdown!

It's very enjoyable. Back in the halcyon days of Zelda games having actual dungeons...

Master of the Universe

You mean to tell me you've spent the last seven years playing Shin Megami Tensei extra Obscure Otaku Version and Tokyo Pigeon Sexy Dating Game Simulator but you haven't gone near A Link Between Worlds?? :eek:

Well saying that... I've not beaten Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse either.

Anyway, come back to me when you have 96 exits in super mario world :P

Anyway, come back to me when you have 96 exits in super mario world :P

Don't forget his Super Mario Bros. warpless run too.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

May have posted about this ages ago but popped into my head again lately for no reason whatsover.

Trying to remember the name of an arcade game I played during mid 90's. It was a side scrolling beat em up of sorts but more like Altered Beast than Streets of Rage. I think you start as a wizard or a sage like character and have just a simple weapon and you walk along dispatching enemies, when you come to the end of the first level I think you dropped down into an underground sort of level and carried on. It wasn't great or anything, just can't remember the name or all that much else about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Corholio wrote: »
    May have posted about this ages ago but popped into my head again lately for no reason whatsover.

Trying to remember the name of an arcade game I played during mid 90's. It was a side scrolling beat em up of sorts but more like Altered Beast than Streets of Rage. I think you start as a wizard or a sage like character and have just a simple weapon and you walk along dispatching enemies, when you come to the end of the first level I think you dropped down into an underground sort of level and carried on. It wasn't great or anything, just can't remember the name or all that much else about it.

Or maybe metamorphic force which is like an updated altered beast

Check out the music on the first level, proper metal riffs and very catchy. Level 5 music is cool too, colosseum.

Magician Lord?

Just a couple guesses anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gradius wrote: »

Or maybe metamorphic force which is like an updated altered beast

Check out the music on the first level, proper metal riffs and very catchy. Level 5 music is cool too, colosseum.

Magician Lord?

Just a couple guesses anyway

None of those unfortunately, althought the first two look great. Gonna check them out further.

The one I'm thinking of is a 2D sort of side scroller, unlike Streets of Rage you couldn't go up and down the background, just left or right.

Edit: Wow. After watching the video of the Dungeons and Dragons one on youtube there was recommendations on the side, I clicked on one that looked vaguely similar.......and it was it!! It was called 'Cadash'. That's done my head in for years trying to remember it :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If anyone is after a box that will allow HDMI gaming streaming to online services (yea know, like the youth do), I might have one to sell :) A&R discount of course will be given.
    Didn't think it was retro enough for market place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

https://www.twitter.com/terraonion/status/1312801146688483328

Terraonion announce PS1 support with the Mode ODE.
    Add-in kit gonna be needed though.

PSX kit will include a pcb, cable and custom mounting bracket for MODE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone around Dublin that'll still repair a PS3 by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Might need a new ps2 controller, friends giving me lend of one to test, was trying to stream and one of the buttons kept pressing on it's own.

Any recommendations on where to get one?

Might need a new ps2 controller, friends giving me lend of one to test, was trying to stream and one of the buttons kept pressing on it's own.
    Might just need opening up and cleaning of the button contacts

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Might just need opening up and cleaning of the button contacts
    Hopefully but might need a backup incase I bork it :pac:
    I'm hoping it is the controller and not something else, can't find a ps1 controller either, I think I've 3 ps1s and no controllers, disgustang

Master of the Universe

I'm still happily using a cheap Chinese wireless PS2 controller I picked up last year that's far better than it has any right to be.

Think it was one of these;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114243568714

I'm still happily using a cheap Chinese wireless PS2 controller I picked up last year that's far better than it has any right to be.

Think it was one of these;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114243568714

Thanks so much!
    My friend lended me one it was the start button kept pressing on it's own. I eventually found my ps1 controller with my PS one I put away, my heart, I knew I wouldn't have binned it it was driving me mad

• Advertisement

Just doing some final testing/config on Ciderman's Emulation PC....good lord the Sharp x68000 is a sensational machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just doing some final testing/config on Ciderman's Emulation PC....good lord the Sharp x68000 is a sensational machine.

Sooo excited for this!
    I'm off tomorrow...
    Just saying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Maybe a bit tenuously arcade related but the channel is so good, and a lot of us are of a certain age I thought someone might find it interesting, they fix so many Tomy toys I used to look longingly at in Argos or TV adverts. .

*And by all means delete if it doesn't really fit here.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Maybe a bit tenuously arcade related but the channel is so good, and a lot of us are of a certain age I thought someone might find it interesting, they fix so many Tomy toys I used to look longingly at in Argos or TV adverts. .

I don't see why not. This is primarily a chat thread, anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've seen them do videos with 8 Bit Guy on youtube so had subbed a while back , but nice one!:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Thanks so much!
    My friend lended me one it was the start button kept pressing on it's own. I eventually found my ps1 controller with my PS one I put away, my heart, I knew I wouldn't have binned it it was driving me mad

if you cant get one , let me know , have a few spares knocking about I can sort you out with .

• Advertisement

Dr Bob wrote: »
    if you cant get one , let me know , have a few spares knocking about I can sort you out with .
    Thanks so much! He said I can hold onto it he doesn't use the PS2 at all he's busy learning to speedrun Trials of Cold Steel atm. I wanted it for streaming playing Rule of Rose since it's spooky month.

I really should think about getting more controllers for everything, always think "sure I'll never play 2p" instead of it thinking of it busting and being stuck.

Thinking of playing a bit more master system over the next few days. I've not much experience with it, mostly watching other kids play it who wouldn't let you have a go of it.

There's not a whole lot of games in the library worth playing either so shouldn't take too long to get through most of them.

I started Jumping Flash as well and mean to beat it this time. It's a very rough early PS1 game but it's amazing how right it got a lot of things. The levels are totally chaotic but it's just so much fun to move through them all. It's amazing that a first person platform game came out so early in the PS1's life cycle and got first person platforming so right yet it took years, probably metroid prime, before other games caught up.

Also each level is a mini sandbox where you find 4 items and then go to the exit. I really can't see how Nintendo weren't inspired by this game when making Mario 64 as that game feels like an expansion on that.

The game does some clever things as well like missions that feel like first person shooter dungeons and effectively remove the ability to jump.

Short enough as well. I'd say it will take me less than 2 hours to beat.

I started Jumping Flash as well and mean to beat it this time.

When the ps1 came out my uncle lived near by and I used to play the hell out of the Jumping Flash demo!

I bought Jumping Flash on release and, I remember, I was on nights somewhere... a very quiet spot and ended up finishing it in a couple of hours.
    It really was 3D platforming perfection, at least at the time.
    The second one is also great, more of a mission pack really.
    I have the Japan only third title in the series but I have yet to spend any real time with it... might have to fix that!
    It does look like a bit of an evolution over the first two games though.

• Advertisement

I think it was an early preview of 'Jumping Flash' which made Psygnosis (some dev from a games studio, maybe Sony ImageSoft?) jump to develop for the PS1 before launch. Talking about the first game they had seen that truely breakdown the 2D platformer into a true 3D game. Noted in the "From Bedrooms to Billions: The Playstation Revolution" documentary.
    Hopefully that made them jump from ImageSoft :D

I'm playing jumping flash through emulation and just to note there's issues with emulation. The game seems to hang for a second every so often. It's weird. I'm using the Beetle Core. I can live with it, it's no where near as bad as the sound issues on PSP.

32-bit emulation and up just is not great, been having nothing but issues with every game I've tried. My tastes would lie outside the main stream games and since the emulation is so high level it has to be optimised for every game meaning the oddities and curiosities get neglected.

I'm playing jumping flash through emulation and just to note there's issues with emulation. The game seems to hang for a second every so often. It's weird. I'm using the Beetle Core. I can live with it, it's no where near as bad as the sound issues on PSP.

^^ Looks fine to me?

The hardware you use GREATLY affects the emulation experience. In the above video, the uploader suggests he has used the Beetle option to overclock the PS1 cpu...so perhaps look at doing that, and then saving the config as game-only override...so it'll load that overclock automatically from then on, and only for that game.

There's also Beetle HW too, have you tried that? What are your cd-loading settings (default, async, preload)? There's options you can try, and once you figure out the issue...the beauty of retroarch is allowing you to save those options as a game only override, meaning no more config from then on.
    32-bit emulation and up just is not great, been having nothing but issues with every game I've tried. My tastes would lie outside the main stream games and since the emulation is so high level it has to be optimised for every game meaning the oddities and curiosities get neglected.

Can't say I fully agree there. I recently enough played through Twilight Princess HD via Cemu and there was a single extremely minor texture glitch in a single area of the map....and that was it. Granted, as you say moving away from popular stuff might expose some current shortcomings that have yet to be resolved via emulation, but luckily in my experience they've been few and far between.

You're really only ever going to see high level emulation (HLE) for 32bit and beyond. Considering you need a 4Ghz cpu to run Bsnes (cycle accurate low level snes emulator)...Id imagine the computational requirements to run something like PS1 & PS2 via LLE probably don't exist yet in the consumer space. It's the same for FPGA....anything 32bit and above, good luck.

There doesn't exist a one size fits all approach for emulation. You often need to tailor settings for 32bit systems. As I say though, once you nail the settings, they can be saved and will never have to be touched again.

Master of the Universe

This evening I decided to replace the drifting analogue stick in one of my switch joycons.

Open the joycon up and took out the old analogue stick, replaced it, put it all back together - fiddly but not difficult.

Seemed to work so I decided to play a game. Started drifting again after five minutes.

Then I looked down at the bag the new analogue stick came in - it was still sealed. I'd taken the old stick out and put it back in again!

Ha :) Are Nintendo going to do some swap out of those since they admit its their issue now?

Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Ha :) Are Nintendo going to do some swap out of those since they admit its their issue now?

Apparently they're changing them for free?

I wouldn't bother though, sticks are cheap on eBay (I think mine was under a tenner) and it only takes about twenty minutes to swap out (40 if you do it twice like me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Apparently they're changing them for free?

I wouldn't bother though, sticks are cheap on eBay (I think mine was under a tenner) and it only takes about twenty minutes to swap out (40 if you do it twice like me!)

Got two joycons fixed for free a few months ago, both well out of warranty. Only took a few weeks. I'd probably replace them myself next time though, I have the replacements ready to go (had them bought when I didn't know how much Nintendo might charge).

I don't really use the joycons now though unless we're out and about.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

One of the lads I follow on Twitter started a series looking at lesser known games on YouTube

^^ Looks fine to me?

The hardware you use GREATLY affects the emulation experience. In the above video, the uploader suggests he has used the Beetle option to overclock the PS1 cpu...so perhaps look at doing that, and then saving the config as game-only override...so it'll load that overclock automatically from then on, and only for that game.

There's also Beetle HW too, have you tried that? What are your cd-loading settings (default, async, preload)? There's options you can try, and once you figure out the issue...the beauty of retroarch is allowing you to save those options as a game only override, meaning no more config from then on.

Update on this. Seems I was using ReArmed which isn't a great core. I moved to Beetle which took a while to get running (eventually found I wasn't on the Windows 10 Retroarch).

So I loaded up Beetle and was greeted with an absolute glitchfest. Textures not displaying right, looked atrocious. Would have given up if I didn't see the video above. Anyway I had to faff about with some settings to get it to display right, seemed to have to mess around with vertex depth, I imagine that the unique way the PS1 displays polyons without a z-buffer on a 2D height grid is emulated extremely poorly and has to be majorly fudged.

Finally got it working properly but by that time it was almost bed time so didn't get to play it. Not exactly a great emulation experience for me I have to say!

I tried a few other games before I went to bed and noticed issues in nearly all of them, Parappa's shadows not displaying quite right. I might have to tweak that. At least incredible crisis ran great so enjoyed a bit of ska music before bed.

I'll stick with retroarch as it's nice to have everything on the PC for now but serious looking at a terraonion for the PS1.

It's the same for FPGA....anything 32bit and above, good luck.

FPGA should have no problem with 32-bit and above, the issue there is custom chips. People just don't fully understand how the chips work yet so it's tough to figure out how they work when it's not fully documented. The other option is to get the electromicroscope out and image the chips but that is hugely expensive and time consuming and once the chips get complicated it becomes a herculean task.

Master of the Universe

Got two joycons fixed for free a few months ago, both well out of warranty. Only took a few weeks. I'd probably replace them myself next time though, I have the replacements ready to go (had them bought when I didn't know how much Nintendo might charge).

I don't really use the joycons now though unless we're out and about.

I completely keep forgetting the Switch pro controller exists! Just assume everyone's been using joycons and that's it. Are they known for drift at all?

If you are ever fixing the stick, the guides tell you to disconnect the battery connector, as well as the ribbon cables for the shoulder buttons and another ribbon cable so it completely comes into pieces - do not do this!

The ribbon cables are incredibly finnicky, tiny and a pain in the arse to get back in.

They seem to include it in the guides so people don't break the ribbon cables, however you'd nearly break them or worse, the connectors on the PCB trying to put them back in.

The second time I replaced the stick, I tried to keep as much connected as possible to see what you can get away with.

Here's all you really have to do:
    • Disconnect the back cover and separate the outer shell pieces
    • Lift the battery out (don't bother disconnecting it)
    • Removed three screws for the inner plastic plate covering the PCB
    • Flip that inner plate forward, being careful of the ribbon cables, especially the thin one for the shoulder buttons
    • You'll then see the underside of the analogue stick - Unscrew two screws, then disconnect it's ribbon cable (this is the only ribbon cable you need to disconnect)

And that's it. just reassemble and you're good to go. You could get the above done in under 10 minutes.

One of the lads I follow on Twitter started a series looking at lesser known games on YouTube

That looks really excellent, I'll give it a watch. I really want to get back into the PS1. Kind of tempted to get some kind of SD card loading thingy - I'm afraid to go near the pile of 50hz PAL games in my attic :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement