Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cool read about Arcade Club in the Uk: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-13-meet-the-man-behind-the-astonishingly-successful-arcade-club

Sounds similar to Token, but goes all out with the weirder, more obscure games (modern and retro) too. Looking at photos they have a full Darius Burst widescreen cab, Cave shooters and (as mentioned in the article) the weird Monster Hunter ‘pig slapping’ cabinet :pac:

Aren't they the lads that recent raided that arcade in Sherries?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »

Games console, DVD player, drug stash, the PS2 really had everything, didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Aren't they the lads that recent raided that arcade in Sherries?

I'd say a book could be written about all the tantrums, backstabbings and shenanigans involved with the UK (and Irish to some extent) arcade scene

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spooch

Any tips or tricks to bidding on ebay? Been sniped on almost all my bids so far. Fairly new to the site so wondering is it just a case of massively bidding in the final few seconds or what?

• Advertisement

It's turned into that the last few years alright....I usually throw my max bid down about 7-9 seconds before the auction ends

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    Not fully retro but a Wii is £25 in Cex over here atm. Worth a purchase? I only played sports on it back in the day.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=swiiwiie005&categoryName=wii-consoles&superCatName=gaming&title=wii-console-white-%28no-game%29-discounted

It is worth it. Loads of amamzing games on the Wii and a very underappreciated console. Plenty of big nintendo games but outside of that it's a treasure trove of the weird and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Spooch wrote: »
    Any tips or tricks to bidding on ebay? Been sniped on almost all my bids so far. Fairly new to the site so wondering is it just a case of massively bidding in the final few seconds or what?

Check completed listings to get an idea of what the item normally sells for, condition and completeness is everything regarding prices. Decide what your maximum bid is going to be and stick to it.

Just make one bid when there's about a minute left, pause on the review bid screen, wait till there's about four seconds left and confirm the bid. You may need to confirm slightly earlier or later depending on your connection speed. Don't get carried away, if someone is prepared to pay over the odds let them, there'll always be others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Check completed listings to get an idea of what the item normally sells for, condition and completeness is everything regarding prices. Decide what your maximum bid is going to be and stick to it.

Just make one bid when there's about a minute left, pause on the review bid screen, wait till there's about four seconds left and confirm the bid. You may need to confirm slightly earlier or later depending on your connection speed. Don't get carried away, if someone is prepared to pay over the odds let them, there'll always be others.

A great trick to getting some suprprisingly decent games at low prices is to sort by 'ending soonest'. You'd be amazed at how many items slip through the cracks with 0 bids on them about to expire. I've bought loads of PS2 & Original Xbox games for €2 or less by doing this.

Master of the Universe

Or another great one is going 'buy it now' - newly listed. And keep refreshing.

Sometimes people list items at ridiculously low prices and you can snap them up BIN before anyone else gets to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I'd say a book could be written about all the tantrums, backstabbings and shenanigans involved with the UK (and Irish to some extent) arcade scene

I'm sitting on a treasure trove of mad stories and just generally interesting stuff about the Irish arcade scene. But if I were to spill it, it would backfire now. But the info will come out...

D5-Se-WBJWw-AEov6h.jpg

As for eBay it's a bit of a joke. It's a game of chicken all within the last few seconds and sometimes you get lucky, most times you don't :/

Gradius wrote: »
    I'm sitting on a treasure trove of mad stories and just generally interesting stuff about the Irish arcade scene. But if I were to spill it, it would backfire now. But the info will come out...

D5-Se-WBJWw-AEov6h.jpg

As for eBay it's a bit of a joke. It's a game of chicken all within the last few seconds and sometimes you get lucky, most times you don't :/

Go on Joe Duffys some morning and let it all out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Spooch wrote: »
    Any tips or tricks to bidding on ebay? Been sniped on almost all my bids so far.
    just use sniping software.

I have not used it in years but used to do this one, I have no way to really prove it but am pretty sure I saved a lot of money, going by other completed auctions.

https://snip.pl/

And put in your true maximum of course, which should be a little above a round number, e.g. €106.20 instead of €100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Go on Joe Duffys some morning and let it all out :D

"C'mere and I'll tell you Joe about deh cabinet.."

"Ah jayyysus dats terrible!"

Master of the Universe

rubadub wrote: »
    just use sniping software.

I have not used it in years but used to do this one, I have no way to really prove it but am pretty sure I saved a lot of money, going by other completed auctions.

https://snip.pl/

And put in your true maximum of course, which should be a little above a round number, e.g. €106.20 instead of €100

Sure where's the fun in that! :D

Fairly sure half the reason I use ebay so much is for the adrenaline kick in the last 60 seconds!

I always do an odd number too

I won a figure a few weeks ago for £8.67 which was my max bid....I bet whoever lost that one was cursing me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

When I got back into eBay a few years ago I was trigger happy with bids. I won games where another listing sold for €10-20 less an hour or two later. The rush of winning was quickly lost!

After I check sold listings for pricing I'll sort low to high with what I'm looking for, quite a few of my last purchases have been buy it now sitting at a low price.

Also set up email notifications for specific searches/keywords. I got R-Type on the Master System that way, the few listed were €25-30 but some were selling for €20 or less, just needed to be patient. Also allowed me to jump in on low priced buy it now listings for less common games.

Also make sure to use parcel forwarding. I foolishly overpaid for my shipping. Lots of UK sellers slap on a €10-14 fee to Ireland when you could have €4 shipping plus a €4 parcel forwarding fee (Parcel Motel, AddressPal etc) that saving adds up. Even better if the UK shipping is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dav09

I decided to take the plunge with my first US import cab recently.

IMG-20200914-142044.jpg

And it arrived today upside down :D

The base & part of the insides decided to cave in at some point on transport so gonna have lots of fun restoring this one :pac:

Does/ would anyone in Ireland/UK do a good board repair on a Tron PCB? (just the main board, not the mcr powersupply/ other boards), thankfully the main board survived the journey fairly well.

Jesus Christ who even ships a game like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah ffs what a bunch of clowns. Hope all the bits are intact, very pricey cabs these days when complete.

Ah ffs what a bunch of clowns. Hope all the bits are intact, very pricey cabs these days when complete.

Yeah it was sold as a "rough Tron project" but I didn't expect that rough! Has no CRT (as described) but I should have one for it anyway, cost a couple of hundred quid but it adds up quite a lot once you add in shipping to UK, then to Ireland, then import tax. Along with the cost of repairing it, it will be quite the project, spent the day today working on a new base.

Spinner and stick seem good along with the boards in it, looking at the PCB looks like it won't run just after visually looking at one or two components but that was to be expected, still not in too rough shape. It seems pot luck when buying from American what way they arrive particularly depending on the seller.

Master of the Universe

How in god's name does something like that end up shipped upside down?? :confused:

Imagine importing a car and it arrives on its roof.

How in god's name does something like that end up shipped upside down?? :confused:

Imagine importing a car and it arrives on its roof.

The middle man asked me if it was okay to ship it that was as he said it would fall apart (even more than it already had) otherwise! It got quite the battering at some point in the shipping process but it is what it is I guess.

Master of the Universe

I see someone developed a drink specifically for Ciderman

y7olnv30qun51.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I see someone developed a drink specifically for Ciderman

y7olnv30qun51.jpg

You sick b@stard...
    You know, I would drink it but I would hate myself...

The only way it could be worse is if I had to drink a six pack of them while having to play Streets of Rage...

I thinkk we have the theme for the next Beers...

How could anyone call a cider that and not have the can artwork themed around the game!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You sick b@stard...
    You know, I would drink it but I would hate myself...

The only way it could be worse is if I had to drink a six pack of them while having to play Streets of Rage...

I thinkk we have the theme for the next Beers...

I had to do a double take when I saw the name on it, the fact that it was a cider too was just the icing on the cake :D Wonder can you get it over here?
    How could anyone call a cider that and not have the can artwork themed around the game!

Yeah it almost seems criminal! Sure people google the potential names of items before slapping them on labels?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Might be worried about trademarks/licencing.

They certainly know of the game, as this is another in their range

Round+2-+Fight%21.jpg?format=750w

https://www.kaijubeer.com.au/products-1

https://www.kaijubeer.com.au/news/mortalwombat

Round+1+-+Fight%21.jpg?format=1500w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Inviere

Rendering Ranger R2 is outrageous....I'd never heard of it before seeing it in the below video. Absolute voodoo coding :eek:

Advertisement