Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying options (post Brexit)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sorry if this has already been asked.

If I pay Vat on a UK good. Then have to pay Vat on arrival to Ireland, can I claim a Vat refund from the UK?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sorry if this has already been asked.

If I pay Vat on a UK good. Then have to pay Vat on arrival to Ireland, can I claim a Vat refund from the UK?

SFAIK, you'd have to claim it from to UK government which could be problematic without being registered for VAT in the UK

Not sure what the story is from UK to Ireland, but goods from the EU to the UK are still zero rated for VAT so I would have thought the reverse would also hold. See http://brexitlegal.ie/exports-from-eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

smacl wrote: »
    Yep. Had some bits I'd planned to order on Amazon prime via amazon.co.uk, just switched it all over to amazon.de and all good with my prime account and company VAT number automatically picked up. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get here, bought yesterday dispatch notice this morning.

Some components seem to be cheaper in amazon.fr than in amazon.de, but unsure how shipping works in both cases

TheRover wrote: »
    Some components seem to be cheaper in amazon.fr than in amazon.de, but unsure how shipping works in both cases

https://www.hagglezon.com/ - useful site to compare something across fr, de, it, nl and uk sites.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

surprised at uk prime working for germany, it's been confirmed several times all the primes are sepreate subs and you need a seperate one per country. maybe they have changed something due to brexit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,735 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

unkel wrote: »
    €638, in stock and including free delivery tomorrow to NL. By far the cheapest and quickest option I could find. Will cost an additional €23 to get it shipped (insured) from NL to Ireland.

For anyone interested, this was from megekko.nl, a webshop with a good reputation

Delivered in NL next day, like they promised. Seems a very good site with excellent prices (better than Amazon)

Another thing some people might not realise: No VAT is charged (until July) on any package coming into the EU worth €22 or less.

In other words, if you have prime free delivery, you could order a GBP17.99 120GB SSD from Amazon.co.uk, like I just did. At checkout, the price will be ex-UK VAT, so GBP14.97. This is what you pay! No shipping, no VAT :cool:

Delivered in NL next day, like they promised. Seems a very good site with excellent prices (better than Amazon)

All it's missing is a "this site in English" button :D

Another thing some people might not realise: No VAT is charged (until July) on any package coming into the EU worth €22 or less.

In other words, if you have prime free delivery, you could order a GBP17.99 120GB SSD from Amazon.co.uk, like I just did. At checkout, the price will be ex-UK VAT, so GBP14.97. This is what you pay! No shipping, no VAT :cool:

Wanted to do the same with Arctic P12 case fans... except that amazon are charging almost twice the price of scan, so I might wait for scan to get back to normal ;)

• Advertisement

Is "i7 10700k" written differently in Dutch than it is in English? :p:D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Is "i7 10700k" written differently in Dutch than it is in English? :p:D :pac:

No, but it might be hard to see the difference between "In Stock" and "Delivery Date Unknown".

Tried ordering from overclockers, I now get "Your delivery method is not available"

JoyPad wrote: »
    No, but it might be hard to see the difference between "In Stock" and "Delivery Date Unknown".

Have you heard of Google Translate? :)

Stock availability can also be an issue. I was hoping to get a couple of 2TB Samsung Evo 970s and ended up with the PNY alternative as the nearest in-stock equivalent. A lot of the stuff advertised as in stock actually comes up as stock expected in a couple of weeks when you go to order it. Haven't used the .fr site before but have used the .es site and had no issues. The .de site has an English language version which is handier though no big issue with Google translate as Unkel pointed out. Must try that hagglezon site next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Is there a NL parcel motel type service?

Every foreign language website I visit is automatically translated using chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

7eb8f72cf6.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

things getting worse. not only the sellers now. DPD pausing all outbound deliveries from the UK due to what a $h&Tshow it all is

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/0108/1188437-brexit-deliveries/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Has anyone purchased anything from https://www.alternate.de/?

I tried to buy a G.Skill RAM kit which is nearly €100 cheaper there than Amazon UK and I'm waiting for them to mail me an 'offer'...

The RAM in question in case anyone is interested: https://www.alternate.de/G-Skill/DIMM-32-GB-DDR4-3600-Quad-Kit-Arbeitsspeicher/html/product/1584637?campaign=DDR4/G.Skill/1584637

DPD pausing deliveries from UK to Ireland over Brexit

Read More...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Revenue temporarily eases some customs requirements

Read More...

• Advertisement

ronivek wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased anything from https://www.alternate.de/?

I tried to buy a G.Skill RAM kit which is nearly €100 cheaper there than Amazon UK and I'm waiting for them to mail me an 'offer'...

The RAM in question in case anyone is interested: https://www.alternate.de/G-Skill/DIMM-32-GB-DDR4-3600-Quad-Kit-Arbeitsspeicher/html/product/1584637?campaign=DDR4/G.Skill/1584637

Your link has the G.Skill Trident Z 32gb 4x8 3600mhz Ram kit at €374, sellers on amazon.de list G.Skill Trident Z 2x16 3600mhz Ram kit from €198, see https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/offer-listing/B07VNJFR67

We're all fooked now!

Read More...

guess my package hadn't made ireland after all. got the below update just now from Overclockers: and i don't think this is any way related to the value but to the DPD announcement i linked to above

We are really sorry to inform you that your delivery has been held by DPD and will be returned to Overclockers UK due to issues with new processes following Brexit.

When we receive the parcels back from DPD we will be able to send them to you again, or alternatively you can choose to receive a full refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Now I can't return that faulty GPU, and then won't be able to send it back!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SomeRandom NameBoy

OverClockers.co.uk really shafted me the last few days - accepting orders, cancelling them, jacking up prices etc. Really nasty experience. So... any recommendations for suppliers (CPU, fans, PSU, NVME) who'll ship to Ireland? First time builder so don't know who's reliable at all! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

OverClockers.co.uk really shafted me the last few days - accepting orders, cancelling them, jacking up prices etc. Really nasty experience. So... any recommendations for suppliers (CPU, fans, PSU, NVME) who'll ship to Ireland? First time builder so don't know who's reliable at all! Thanks.

worst possible time to build a pc that i have seen..even worse than 2016..with scalpers and brexit and now china adding its own tariffs to electronics manufactured there its a perfect storm of ****e
    But if i actually had to buy components i would stick to the amazon EU sites like .de .be. fr .it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hmmmm, I'm in market for an i7 9700K and new Gigabyte Aorus motherboard to match. Prices are ok on Amazon de but they've been lower. What do people reckon? The only way is up or the prices will come back down soon?

Your link has the G.Skill Trident Z 32gb 4x8 3600mhz Ram kit at €374, sellers on amazon.de list G.Skill Trident Z 2x16 3600mhz Ram kit from €198, see https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/offer-listing/B07VNJFR67

Cheers for the heads up!

The RAM I linked is the higher performance CL14 version. Not really worth the difference in price but I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose.

I'm a long time customer with an embarrassing amount spent there and it is pretty frustrating alright. However I don't think any retailers are coming out of this smelling like roses; between part supply shortages, Brexit, and Covid it's a bit of a disaster for anyone trying to sell computer parts.

Personally I've just ordered a few bits from amazon.co.uk and they're giving delivery dates towards the end of January for items which are in stock.

I've also ordered a few bits from https://www.computeruniverse.net/ although I've never used them before.

The biggest issue I have now is the case. I had my eye on a Phanteks 500a but with tempered glass in it I really don't fancy shipping it from mainland Europe; and I can't find it anywhere I'm comfortable ordering.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I'm in market for an i7 9700K and new Gigabyte Aorus motherboard to match. Prices are ok on Amazon de but they've been lower. What do people reckon? The only way is up or the prices will come back down soon?

Needed a couple of new PCs for the office, nothing special in terms of spec. For the kit I was after buying complete PCs currently is coming out cheaper than buying parts and building. Wouldn't be my first choice as you can end up with sketchy PSUs and other parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I've also ordered a few bits from https://www.computeruniverse.net/ although I've never used them before.

The biggest issue I have now is the case. I had my eye on a Phanteks 500a but with tempered glass in it I really don't fancy shipping it from mainland Europe; and I can't find it anywhere I'm comfortable ordering.

I got a Phanteks 400 with glass and it was well packed from Amazon Germany, got a GPU from computeruniverse and they were fine, not the fastest but ok tracking etc. at least until it got to Ireland and then it was An Post then it just appeared at the door without notice :rolleyes:

Fionn wrote: »
    I got a Phanteks 400 with glass and it was well packed from Amazon Germany, got a GPU from computeruniverse and they were fine, not the fastest but ok tracking etc. at least until it got to Ireland and then it was An Post then it just appeared at the door without notice :rolleyes:

Yeah I get the impression the availability status on computeruniverse might be a little iffy; many of the complaints I’ve heard about them are about overall order times. It doesn’t really bother me too much and out of all the sites I tried theirs was the easiest to figure out Irish delivery charges.

For now I’ve amended my existing Overclockers order and hoping DPD sort themselves out before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

I'm watching on an order from overclockers and received this email yesterday 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I got an H500 with tempered glass a couple of years ago, it shipped from mainland EU (don't remember if Poland or Germany) and got here without issue - packaging was basically worthy of a tank.
    I'm watching on an order from overclockers and received this email yesterday ��

Let's be honest and straight here: the fact retailers and delivery companies are utterly unprepared is a complete travesty; This is a spectacular case of "you had one job!", and they had known since bloody 2016. It's very clear by now they were just sitting there betting a free trade deal.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Let's be honest and straight here: the fact retailers and delivery companies are utterly unprepared is a complete travesty; This is a spectacular case of "you had one job!", and they had known since bloody 2016. It's very clear by now they were just sitting there betting a free trade deal.

Agreed, thoough to be fair, the covid outbreak has added another spanner into the works. I also doubt that many of the computer parts sellers and major hauliers consider the Irish market as the most important part of their business.

Tracking for the stuff I ordered on amazon.de on Monday is showing as due for delivery on Friday. Be interesting to see if it shows up on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

I have been looking at buying a new car in the UK for a few weeks now.
    I think I'll have to wait until the end of the year before I can buy it here.

Tracking for the stuff I ordered on amazon.de on Monday is showing as due for delivery on Friday. Be interesting to see if it shows up on time.

2 weeks? folk on boards.ie will have a meltdown, there was freak outs over 2 day shipping from UK

mossym wrote: »
    2 weeks? folk on boards.ie will have a meltdown, there was freak outs over 2 day shipping from UK

Expectations may have to change for the short term so ;) Lot of stuff being returned to suppliers and not getting through at all over the Christmas break. I send a small package, priority tracked, via an post on the 22nd to NL and it still hasn't got there. Similarly waiting for other stuff ordered before Christmas from Germany. Whole thing is an utter shambles at the moment, i really hope it gets sorted in the next month to six weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The stickies need to be updated tbh

• Advertisement

Fionn wrote: »

In the same boat, looking for a white BeQuiet 500DX. amazon UK don't have, UK shops that have it aren't shipping, a bit afraid to try shops farther away

In the same boat, looking for a white BeQuiet 500DX. amazon UK don't have, UK shops that have it aren't shipping, a bit afraid to try shops farther away

Certainly wouldn't be any more concerned about using any reputable mainland Europe seller over a UK one. Delivery times may be an issue currenly but the same is true of the UK.

Certainly wouldn't be any more concerned about using any reputable mainland Europe seller over a UK one. Delivery times may be an issue currenly but the same is true of the UK.

My issue is, what if something arrives broken?

If it comes from amazon UK, returns are free
    If it comes from anywhere else in the UK, worst case scenario returns will be 20 euro or so
    If it comes from FR/DE/etc ... God knows how high returns will be. And we're talking about an item with a glass panel

My issue is, what if something arrives broken?

If it comes from amazon UK, returns are free
    If it comes from anywhere else in the UK, worst case scenario returns will be 20 euro or so
    If it comes from FR/DE/etc ... God knows how high returns will be. And we're talking about an item with a glass panel

Pretty much the same as from the UK. From Amazon.de website returns page
    - We will guide you through our return process. If you want to return an article within Germany, Belgium, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland or Portugal, we even supply you with a pre-paid return mailing label ("vorfrankiertes Rücksende-Etikett").
    - In the following cases the return of the items is free of charge: (i) Amazon has delivered a wrong, damaged or defective item. (ii) You are cancelling the purchase of an item within the right of withdrawal period of 14 days and the price of the item to be returned amounts to more than 40 Euro (please note: The amount of 40 Euro refers to the price of the single item to be returned and not to the sum of all items to be returned). For more information please visit our Terms and Conditions page (in German). (iii) You return an item from our clothing or shoes shop within our voluntary 30 day return policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Coyler

Did Amazon.de always do for all purchases over €29? And they are highlighting their shipping return policy on the actual items page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Coyler wrote: »
    Did Amazon.de always do for all purchases over €29? And they are highlighting their shipping return policy on the actual items page.

Do free returns or free delivery?
    I have used all EU Amazons for a while and I have always had free returns on all of them, not sure if that is still the case as I haven't had to return anything in a while. If asking did they always offer free shipping for purchases over €29, - no, and if that is what you are saying, that imho makes them a hundred times better than UK, as prices are usually much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Coyler

Sorry, free delivery on purchases over €29.

And I was wrong. Glanced at it during work today but wasn't logged in. False alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I got a reply from Scan today regarding orders to Ireland and if they could charge Irish VAT instead of UK VAT

" For the time being we have had to stop all orders to Ireland. Once they resume you will still need to pay 20% vat as normal"

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Looking for replacement computer at the moment and while looking at amazon.de i found this

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08R93SFCC/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1
    for 699 euro
    However when i went to pcpartpicker and speced up a similar parts list for a buildthe parts alone (using cheapest parts on the site)

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#U=4&Z=16384001&S=3000,3600 the bill came to 738 euro.

Amazon price too good to be true or parts prices gone to mental levels?
    Or is it a mixture of both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Altreab2 wrote: »
    Looking for replacement computer at the moment and while looking at amazon.de i found this

for 699 euro
    However when i went to pcpartpicker and speced up a similar parts list for a buildthe parts alone (using cheapest parts on the site)

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#U=4&Z=16384001&S=3000,3600 the bill came to 738 euro.

Prices gone mental, assuming you can even find stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

Altreab2 wrote: »

for 699 euro

The seller only has 84% positivity rating so that's usually a red flag for me sadly - if something is too good to be true..

I've sadly been debating https://www.currys.ie/ieen/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-pcs/asus-rog-strix-g15-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-rx-5700-xt-1-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-10205935-pdt.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement