Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

It's still cool to order from uk now as long as it's delivered before Jan 1st....right?🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

py2006 wrote: »
    It's still cool to order from uk now as long as it's delivered before Jan 1st....right?��

If we take revenue's info to the letter, if you buy it before Dec 31st but it only arrives after Jan 1st, it shouldn't incur VAT/customs:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/buying-goods-online.aspx

However this would be extremely hard to prove, so yes, it's safer to ensure items shipped from UK arrive before Jan 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I guarantee the UK will sign a trade deal with the EU over the next week and sign it into law..we might have to wait until at least january for the EU to ratify but at least it will be done.

So besides Komplett (ships from NL/NO?), what other computer parts Irish shops are there that do not ship from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

TheRover wrote: »
    So besides Komplett (ships from NL/NO?), what other computer parts Irish shops are there that do not ship from UK?

There are computer parts Irish shops?

Joke aside, I think Elara qualifies as an Irish shop that should be working after Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Parcel motel has suspended its virtual address from the 28th, just a heads up.

‘ Following the Brexit impact, we would like to share with you that as of December 28th, our virtual address services in the UK will be temporarily suspended. This means that from this date, we will no longer accept deliveries at the UK virtual address: 1a McKinney Road, Newtownabbey, UK. We are working diligently to update our product offering in order to adapt to the latest trade requirements as they come to conclusion and better serve your shopping needs. You will receive further updates in the coming weeks’

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

JoyPad wrote: »
    There are computer parts Irish shops?

Joke aside, I think Elara qualifies as an Irish shop that should be working after Brexit.

Elara's shop price for RTX 3080 models keeps increasing even while they don't have stock.

Was €875 last week; €917 now :rolleyes:

source

Following the Brexit impact, we would like to share with you that as of December 28th, our virtual address services in the UK will be temporarily suspended, until such time as a final Brexit decision has been implemented and our services have been adapted to meet the new requirements.

Q&A

What will happen to my parcel if it is delivered to 1A McKinney Road on or after December 28th?

We will no longer be accepting deliveries at our depot in Newtownabbey, therefore if a carrier arrives with a delivery it will be refused by our staff and returned to the carrier’s depot. Most carriers return any refused deliveries to the sender but this will depend on the agreement between the shipper and carrier. Please make sure to update all websites where you use the UK virtual address as your default delivery address.

I have a Ryzen 7 on its way - hope it gets there before the cut-off date!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Parcel motel has suspended its virtual address from the 28th, just a heads up.

‘ Following the Brexit impact, we would like to share with you that as of December 28th, our virtual address services in the UK will be temporarily suspended. This means that from this date, we will no longer accept deliveries at the UK virtual address: 1a McKinney Road, Newtownabbey, UK. We are working diligently to update our product offering in order to adapt to the latest trade requirements as they come to conclusion and better serve your shopping needs. You will receive further updates in the coming weeks’

Bit a of a mess! I got stuff ordered and their delivery dates are 30th, and 31st.

Sent an email right away to the company, hoping they can change the order to my UK Address Pal in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've a couple of bits on the way that seem to have gotten caught up in Royal Mail's backlog that were on their way to parcel motel, hope it's not a nightmare to get them now if they're further delayed.

Seems like they just left everything till the last minute in the hopes of a deal getting done and not putting any measures in place for the worst case scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anybody have any idea where I can get a 5700xt? Seems to be out of stock everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They stopped making the 5700 series a couple of months back.

Second hand would be your best bet or wait for the 3060 or 6700 coming early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They stop making it and its instantly out of stock everywhere, that seems a bit unusual. I don't want the newer generation, I don't need it and its too expensive.

I actually can't find any website website that sells graphics cards and ships to Ireland that has anything at all in stock. What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Not instantly but over the last 2 months yes.

No new supply, all current stock sold out as there's also no new next gen mid range cards to replace them yet, and the November/December months see's most of the yearly sales on parts like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

MadYaker wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea where I can get a 5700xt? Seems to be out of stock everywhere.
    Have you tried Geizhals.eu?

MadYaker wrote: »
    They stop making it and its instantly out of stock everywhere, that seems a bit unusual. I don't want the newer generation, I don't need it and its too expensive.

I actually can't find any website website that sells graphics cards and ships to Ireland that has anything at all in stock. What is going on?

The 5700 XT came out 1.5 years ago and was 400 squid; best price was earlier this year when they were down to 300-odd.

Right now, the after-effects of COVID have completely disrupted all supply lines for GPUs as air freight & production in China have taken massive hits.

So all you can do is buy used, or hold on until the RX 6700 / RTX 3060 come out in January/February.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Luck100 wrote: »
    I think there's a chance Amazon is ready to roll out an Irish webfront if there's a no-deal Brexit that affects UK/EU web commerce long term. They already have offices and workers here, and they seem to be warehousing a substantial number of Amazon UK products in Ireland. I've gotten next-day delivery on some items recently (Dublin).
    it will be irish prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Why would it be "Irish" prices? The other Amazon EU storefronts are already competitive (and sometimes cheaper) on price with UK.

As Amazon UK already charge us Irish VAT, goods under €150 in value won't incur any duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I assume it doesn't matter what the web page handle is,be it . de or. es or. fr or. ie, the only thing that matters is where the stuff is shipped from.

There's already loads of UK based shops using .ie webstores but the stuff still comes from the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mailbox.de was mentioned earlier, is buying from mindfactory and using them feasible? in my head i;ve some recollection of there being a problem with that?

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    mailbox.de was mentioned earlier, is buying from mindfactory and using them feasible? in my head i;ve some recollection of there being a problem with that?

Biggest issue I see with mailboxde is the size limit... can't buy a monitor for example. I guess amazon.de and amazon.fr will still be the best places for that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When you do over 50k in sales to Ireland, you have to register for VAT here and charge the customers the Irish VAT rate at checkout, then give it to revenue with all the quirks of our taxation system.

Most companies never seem to want to bother, so they end up killing delivery's here when the Irish tax man eventually comes knocking. Ebuyer, mindfactory and probably others over the years have all done this.

Amazon will happily do so from their other shopfronts. But the other English companies I suspect will be very uncompetitive after brexit because it will effectively be double taxation.

I've got three deliveries from mindfactory in the last month. One was two separate builds that I consolidated and one was Graphics card.

I used their midnight shopping (free local DHL delivery).
    TheRover wrote: »
    Biggest issue I see with mailboxde is the size limit... can't buy a monitor for example. I guess amazon.de and amazon.fr will still be the best places for that

I don't think it's a size issue, as opposed to monitors/TV's. They won't ship them as they are more likely to break even when in decent packaging. MyGermany offered it for a while but their shipping was expensive.
    I have found amazon Spain good for monitors in the past also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

cheers for that, my build before this one was all from mindfactory, but i used UK for this latest one. eyeing up a processor now and their prices are good

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

Are we sure that computer parts are not actually exempt from customs duty?
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

That's interesting, well spotted! So as long as Amazon continue to charge Irish VAT, no additional fee should be payable on electronic imports from Amazon UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

fredotf2 wrote: »
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

Thanks I was going to rush and buy parts before the end of the year but I'll wait it out a bit longer and hope stock levels improve

fredotf2 wrote: »
    I saw that the other day and didn't pay much attention to it. Good to know.

https://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/press/index.cfm?id=1522&title=EU-removes-customs-duties-on-IT-equipment

I have ordered parts from the U.S. before and got hit when they arrived (expected it), including Raspberry Pi's.

So I am guessing that I was incorrectly charged? Or did I misread something..

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

MugsGame wrote: »
    That's interesting, well spotted! So as long as Amazon continue to charge Irish VAT, no additional payable will be liable electronic imports from the UK.

If moneybuyingguide is actually correct then yes I think that would be the case.

I've also reached out to Overclockers UK to see if they've registered for VAT in Ireland and to see if they are currently charging Irish VAT for their Irish orders as I have a preorder in for an RTX 3080 with them so I'll let you know how they respond.

In terms of where moneybuyingguide is getting their info on this and if they're actually correct, I've tried to do more research:

The EU Tarifs and Taxation database is here: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

Unfortunately, you need to know the product's Commodity Code to get tariffs info on the product you're looking for and their textual search for products was fairly useless.

Luckily the UK actually has a good trade-tariff website that allows for you to more easily search for product types and get their corresponding Commodity Code.

It looks like computers and perhaps some computer parts fall under code 8471. https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/8471?currency=EUR

That code is broken down further into underlying commodities such as Processing Units, Storage Units, etc. although the descriptions are all fairly confusing.

EU tariff information for that code is available here: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20201223&Area=&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8471&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

Again, it's hard to work out what actually falls under these descriptions but for example, if you put 'Graphics Card, Computer' into https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/ search bar, 8471 is what comes up.

Looking further into 8471, it seems everything that falls under 8471 has 0% third country duty (or in other words 0% customs duty) according to the UK and EU tariff websites.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems that moneybuyingguide are right?

It could be that Computer Parts are actually covered under 8473 which is '‘Parts and accessories (other than covers, carrying cases and the like) suitable for use solely or principally with the machines of headings 84 70 to 84 72.’': https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20201223&Area=&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8473&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

But again, everything that falls under 8473 has 0% customs duty.

Everything I know about computer and computer parts trade tariffs I've learned about in the last 2-3 hours so if anyone knows anything more about trade tariffs that I'm missing here that completely debunks this theory feel free to call me out on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Overclockers have always charged Irish VAT rates for goods coming to here. So it seems they are indeed registered for Irish VAT. Put anything in your basket and watch the price increase when you tell them its coming here. They are always way more expensive than Amazon anyway so it'll be Amazon for me where possible.

Advertisement