Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Xofpod wrote: »
    Hmmm. Is it fully 2D with cut scenes or some hybrid 2D/3D model? And is this a different game entirely to Metroid Prime 4? Guess so...

It's what you'd call 2.5D, so it's 3D assets, but you only move on a 2D plane (IE left/right/up/down).

Completely separate from the Prime games. The Prime series, chronologically, come between Metroid and Metroid: Return of Samus (or between Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid: Samus Returns with the remakes).

Metroid Dread is Metroid 5. So the whole series would go:

Metroid / Metroid: Zero Mission
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Metroid Prime 4
    Metroid: Return of Samus / Metroid: Samus Returns
    Super Metroid
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Dread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Star Lord wrote:
    Metroid / Metroid: Zero Mission Metroid Prime Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Metroid Prime 4 Metroid: Return of Samus / Metroid: Samus Returns Super Metroid Metroid Fusion Metroid Dread

The challenge is now on to revisit all those before Dread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny to read about a chronology for Metroid, as it's one of those games I never really consider as having a plot in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Alex Kidd in Miricle World DX €18 on eshop or currently €34.99 to preorder on Smyths releases June 25

Alex Kidd in Miricle World DX €18 on eshop or currently €34.99 to preorder on Smyths releases June 25

even 18 euro seems expensive for a janky old platformer that retains the jankiness in this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZZ0BZiDKE&t=166s

Thats everything I could hope for and more looks an absolute bargain at €18 to me

Well for people who said that they were going to pick up Balan Wonderturd I suppose that it's like breadth of the wild in comparison

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

glasso wrote: »
    Well for people who said that they were going to pick up Balan Wonderturd I suppose that it's like breadth of the wild in comparison

That's a little unfair, Balan holds a certain attraction because of it's roots, if you had played and enjoyed Nights or Burning Rangers you might understand that it's imperfections aren't as critical, though they are undeniable. I'd probably get the PS4 version though.

Plus, this game, Alex Kidd, appeals to those who have had a great time with the original, as well as those looking for an uncompromising platformer.
    And it looks fantastic.

Haven't played Balan myself so can't comment in the most informed manner I suppose!

But nostalgia can only go so far sometimes and its effect may very rapidly dissipate in the face of general muckness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Haven't played Balan myself so can't comment in the most informed manner I suppose!

But nostalgia can only go so far sometimes and its effect may very rapidly dissipate in the face of general muckness.

Oh, as an avid collector of games and consoles from the 70s until the present day I agree completely.
    A lot of games have aged poorly, but then it doesn't tend to be an even deterioration.
    Some games may look rough, but play well, such as the original Daytona port on the Saturn.
    Others look well but are quite shallow, such as Crash on the PS.
    Burning Rangers was a complicated last ditch title on the Saturn, but had enormous scope and was very interesting indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Castlevania Advance Collection listed in Australia.

https://www.destructoid.com/castlevania-advance-collection-rated-australia-my-wallet-is-ready/

This would be Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

I'd buy this collection in a heartbeat. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Castlevania Advance Collection listed in Australia.

https://www.destructoid.com/castlevania-advance-collection-rated-australia-my-wallet-is-ready/

This would be Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

I'd buy this collection in a heartbeat. :)

all good games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

even 18 euro seems expensive for a janky old platformer that retains the jankiness in this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZZ0BZiDKE&t=166s

Don't you mean Jankenness?

I'll see myself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

New SMT V Demon Is Irish Folklore Hero Fionn mac Cumhaill

https://www.siliconera.com/new-smt-v-demon-is-irish-folklore-hero-fionn-mac-cumhaill/

His power from the Salmon of Knowledge aren't explained very well above.

Here's the Japanese video.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QkrT-nHXtUc

The pronunciation of his name is atrocious, let's see how it is in the English version. It's cool to see Irish folklore in the game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For a Japanese pronunciation he did a decent job of pronouncing the Finn McCool version.
    Did that article also say Cú Chulainn is in it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plenty of the Fianna have been in the SMT games. Loving these demon showcases. The game looks absolutely stunning and all the demons have been remodelled and animated. Pretty sure they are setting up SMTV as the base for all future SMT games which will be on Unreal. Hopefully it means there's no more ridiculous development times like with Persona 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Did anyone post about this???

In other news the Super Mario Bros one is down to €34.99 in Smyths (only available outside Dublin it seems)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Star Lord wrote: »
    It's what you'd call 2.5D, so it's 3D assets, but you only move on a 2D plane (IE left/right/up/down).

Completely separate from the Prime games. The Prime series, chronologically, come between Metroid and Metroid: Return of Samus (or between Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid: Samus Returns with the remakes).

Metroid Dread is Metroid 5. So the whole series would go:

Metroid / Metroid: Zero Mission
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Metroid Prime 4
    Metroid: Return of Samus / Metroid: Samus Returns
    Super Metroid
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Dread

Cheers. Are you leaving out Other M as a matter of principle......

Thats everything I could hope for and more looks an absolute bargain at €18 to me

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/alex_kidd_in_miracle_world_dx

a D minus 5/10 grade from the usually overly-generous Nintendo Life
    We can't pretend this isn't a disappointment. After promises of updates and improvements to this classic title, what we've got is something that we'd honestly not recommend to either prospective new fans or enthusiasts of the original Alex Kidd. We're inclined to think this may have been something of a rushed release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/alex_kidd_in_miracle_world_dx

a D minus 5/10 grade from the usually overly-generous Nintendo Life

8/10 from Switch Corner
    85% Switch Up

And two pretty positive reviews to go with that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

well seems to be divisive - if the original janky gameplay and imprecise control appeals then seems to get a favourable review if not the opposite

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/alex-kidd-in-miracle-world-dx/critic-reviews

as the other poster above intimated Jankenteam was an apt developer choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

well seems to be divisive - if the original janky gameplay and imprecise control appeals then seems to get a favourable review if not the opposite

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/alex-kidd-in-miracle-world-dx/critic-reviews

as the other poster above intimated Jankenteam was an apt developer choice really.

It's really strange seeing the usually very positive Nintendo Life as a games sternest critic (well almost)!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

It's really strange seeing the usually very positive Nintendo Life as a games sternest critic (well almost)!

that is odd alright

they are usually a bit over-generous on reviews I would say

seem to have taken particular offence to some changes put in and supposed inaccuracies - true aficionados in this case it seems.

Maybe they can't accept Alex Kidd on a Nintendo system. Still getting used to Sonic.

I've been enjoying my purchase €18 well spent it's more fun trying and buying games and playing them rather than spouting nonsense reviews as canon.

The calypso guitar soundtrack is so refreshing.

• Advertisement

Knock yourself out.

but I'm not the only one who'd have less than zero interest in a remake of a game that was very unrefined to start with and that has aged worse than Matthew Perry!

Buy game
    Play game
    Enjoy game
    Repeat

Tinfoil hat time, but Nintendo UK posted this to Twitter earlier today

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1407277211154067457?s=19

Today is the 20th anniversary of the GBA in Europe, and the score from the screenshot can be rearranged to 2021623 (tomorrow). GBA for Switch tomorrow?

Zack from Switchforce thinks it hints at N64 too (Yoshi egg and 96).

We will see tomorrow I guess.

There was no Yoshi egg in Mario Advance, was there?

Nope. Hence the N64 connection.

• Advertisement

I would kill for gameboy advance games on switch

Golden Sun
    Minish Cap
    Pokemon Emerald
    Metroid Fusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Today is the 20th anniversary of the GBA in Europe, and the score from the screenshot can be rearranged to 2021623 (tomorrow). GBA for Switch tomorrow?

Is this the first version with no backlight?

I remember sending mine off to some bloke in the UK to fit a backlight and it came back in perfect condition with absolutely no dust... great job.

that is odd alright

they are usually a bit over-generous on reviews I would say

seem to have taken particular offence to some changes put in and supposed inaccuracies - true aficionados in this case it seems.

If you are going to make a feature in a game, in this case that it is a true port of the original, then you are going to have to trust those who are most aware when they say they weren't quite successful.

This would be nice though, thanks to emulation, I've lots of ways to play both my real and virtual GBA titles.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you are going to make a feature in a game, in this case that it is a true port of the original, then you are going to have to trust those who are most aware when they say they weren't quite successful.

not sure what you're saying exactly here but those NL punters do seem to have a detailed knowledge of that game in fairness.

New Skyward Sword HD overview trailer:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This doesn't tie in with my normal gaming position

Gamer_couch_550.jpg

1 - Still perfectly easy to play the game in that position.

2 - That slouching won't do your back any favours :pac:

UNSIGHTED - Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2q4D7v9b65U
    After a long war with the humans, the few androids that remain in Arcadia are running out of Anima, the energy that gives all robots consciousness.

It's up to you, Alma, to find a way to recover your memories and save your friends from becoming UNSIGHTED. Explore the vast ruins of Arcadia, using every tool you can find.

They need you, Alma. Every decision you make affects their fate! But remember, the clock is ticking in this unique RPG by Studio Pixel Punk!

Looks pretty good.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Is this the first version with no backlight?

I remember sending mine off to some bloke in the UK to fit a backlight and it came back in perfect condition with absolutely no dust... great job.

Yep. I had one of those light attachments. Sold to secondhand shop to find the SP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They were called Afterburner kits, did one myself back in the day.

You could finally see the picture but Christ were the colours washed out :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Found out in a digital foundry video the other day that the great bullet hell shooter Mushihimesama was suddenly released during E3. Went to download and it was gone. Seems to only be a temporary issue at least:

https://twitter.com/livewire_pr/status/1407342654741008386?s=21

The good news is more Cave games are also on the way - the excellent Espgaluda II (which hasn’t had a digital release in the West at all as far as I know, only a Japan-only 360 release) and DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu (which is already on Steam, like Mushi). Would particularly love to see the magnificent sequel Mushihimesama Futari (my favourite of the Cave shooters) make an appearance, as that’s also only had a 360 Japanese release as well. Or Death Smiles 2, which I haven’t played at all.

Cave shooters, so much goodness.
    I'd love to buy them all as they are digitally released, but I REALLY want them in physical form, though I do have a number of them on other formats, like the 360.
    It was odd for a console as unpopular in Japan as the 360 to have a genre so beloved in Japan being so we'll represented.
    I still regret selling my copy of Ibara for the PS2, though I do have a lot, including Deathsmiles, MuchiMuchiPork/Pink Sweets

Still no new features apart from the amiibo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Still no new features apart from the amiibo

Did they promise any new features?

There were reports about changes to things like tutorials and dialog so less interruptions every time you pick something up and less Fi

Don't remember hearing those, but it's certainly what we'd all like to be the case!!! :D
    Hopefully they've made those changes, as they were the biggest irritations in the game.

Mario Golf: Super Rush review scores are coming out. The IGN Tweet below highlights what I was worried about.

They gave it 6/10. It has an average score of 75 on Metacritic.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/mario-golf-super-rush/critic-reviews

Take out the bloated scores from unknown sites and it would be much lower. Most of the recognisable sites have given it 6 or 7 out of 10. It's very disappointing, for a series I really like and hasn't been available to play on TV since the Gamecube. I know there's a few post launch DLC courses coming, but 6 at launch is terrible. Tiger Woods on the Wii well over a decade ago had 23 courses and a load of extra modes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

sligeach wrote: »
    Mario Golf: Super Rush review scores are coming out. The IGN Tweet below highlights what I was worried about.

They gave it 6/10. It has an average score of 75 on Metacritic.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/mario-golf-super-rush/critic-reviews

Take out the bloated scores from unknown sites and it would be much lower. Most of the recognisable sites have given it 6 or 7 out of 10. It's very disappointing, for a series I really like and hasn't been available to play on TV since the Gamecube. I know there's a few post launch DLC courses coming, but 6 at launch is terrible. Tiger Woods on the Wii well over a decade ago had 23 courses and a load of extra modes.

Mario Golf: Super Rushed apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭McFly85

Very similar vibes to Mario Tennis, then. Core gameplay is fun, but shockingly little actual content. One to get once all the DLC is released and it's on sale at a reasonable price. Back to Advance Tour for the time being!

Advertisement