Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Other than High Castle what other TV series do people recommend in prime?

I’ve said this earlier on the other thread but I really highly recommend Startup. Outlander is decent enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Are you using a website or a firestick?

I have the Prime app on my LG tv, set up for uk prime. I bought a fire stick recently for another room and have that set up too.

I can't share the revolut card page on my phone but if you go the the Bargain Alerts forum there is a thread in there on it. It is a big thread.

Re: what is on Prime, I haven't used it too much though I think some sports are on it. I am not subscribed to Prime, nothing on it for me other than odd film to rent.

I do notice some old bbc content on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Is it possible to set up your TV as UK and music as Ireland? I assume not, but just asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Marvellous Mrs Maisel & Goliath are brilliant Prime originals imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Bosch is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I thought Cliak and Dagger was great and Jack Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I like Vikings. And have started Into The Badlands

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vader ed

The Looming Tower
    Homecoming
    Mr Robot
    The Exorcist
    The Tick
    Startup
    Sneaky Pete
    Goliath
    Ray Donovan
    The Americans
    Bosch
    American Gods
    The Good Fight
    Patriot
    Hand of God

• Registered Users Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Halt & catch fire is excellent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Bosch
    Homecoming
    Startup
    Marvellous Mrs Maisel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Would it be fair to say that Amazon Prime menus etc are not as slick as Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vader ed

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that Amazon Prime menus etc are not as slick as Netflix?

Yeah I agree. I'm using Price through Nvidia shield which updated recently and is an improvement but still not as nice as Netflix to browse.

Browsing the movies & TV shows is a joke on Prime. Flicking through around 30 b-movies from the 70's, 80's then in middle they have Heat. Browse another 20 trash and there's Fight Club.

The search results and browsing just appearing on one never ending row is a drag too.

I think they have an Oscar winning category that just had 10 movies in there or something similar.

There is some really good stuff but just more difficult to come across using the app.

I did find it easier to browse using the PC and add movies/shows to watchlist there. Using the mouse keyboard might be the difference rather than the Nvidia remote though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Halt & Catch Fire - Really enjoyed this and ends on a high note too, unlike many shows

Patriot - Excellent dark comedy. Haven't yet got to watching the second season but fully intend to.

Homecoming - Intriguing drama. Handy to watch at 10 half-hour episodes.

Mr. Robot - Like this, although it will be a bit of a Marmite show. Finally a show that does computer hacking correctly.

The Tick - Easy 30-minute episodes. A funny superhero show.

Sneaky Pete - Only watched the first season but quite entertaining. The shows above would be better IMO.

And on the strengths of posts above, I just finished the first episode of 'Startup'. Strong opener - hope the quality keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ixoy wrote: »
    Halt & Catch Fire - Really enjoyed this and ends on a high note too, unlike many shows

Mr. Robot - Like this, although it will be a bit of a Marmite show. Finally a show that does computer hacking correctly.

Yeah, when all your services are being hacked you should deffo fly some lad halfway across the continent in a private jet because he needs to be on site in the data warehouse to do anything. :o

I stopped watching after the first episode, ****ing daft stuff.

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah, when all your services are being hacked you should deffo fly some lad halfway across the continent in a private jet because he needs to be on site in the data warehouse to do anything. :o

I stopped watching after the first episode, ****ing daft stuff.
    I don't recall that in 'Mr. Robot' which though genuinely does get it correct (slightly compressing some time frames) - enough that they'll go online and discuss the hacks and have them checked by other hackers at times. The writers know what they're doing here. Even the Reddit nerds validate the accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Does anyone know what is going on with the series Bones?!? Season 1-11 are listed on there but seasons 3 and 5 aren't available?

Yeah this is an ongoing issue that happens sometimes when they add a new show. It normally gets resolves a few days after they add it but if not contact support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Theres a 3 month free trial of Starzplay on Prime at the moment. Ive been wanting to watch Counterpart and Castke Rock for a while, so its handy for anyone interested in those

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Theres a 3 month free trial of Starzplay on Prime at the moment. Ive been wanting to watch Counterpart and Castke Rock for a while, so its handy for anyone interested in those

Is this just for UK customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

den87 wrote: »
    Is this just for UK customers?

You need a UK card, so it works with Revolut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ixoy wrote: »
    I don't recall that in 'Mr. Robot' which though genuinely does get it correct (slightly compressing some time frames) - enough that they'll go online and discuss the hacks and have them checked by other hackers at times. The writers know what they're doing here. Even the Reddit nerds validate the accuracy.

First episode, sperg boy gets flown to a server farm rather than just open up a ****ing console.

I know its episode 1 because I stopped watching after that crock of ****. :D

Bambi wrote: »
    First episode, sperg boy gets flown to a server farm rather than just open up a ****ing console.

I know its episode 1 because I stopped watching after that crock of ****. :D
    I can't recall the specifics of that episode, but certainly after that it's generally very accurate given having to work in the medium of TV - the shows consultants do know what they're talking about (their blogs are interesting reading).

Anyway, that's a tangent to it all - I like the show, it did receive a lot of praise, but it wouldn't be for anyone. You'll know within the first couple of episodes if you're going to like it. Season 2 is a fair bit weaker but it picked up again in its third season and the fourth, and final, season is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

Signed up to the 7-day trial of PrimeVideo there a few minutes ago. €2.99 for first six months, and €5.99 from then on.

I used the hisense tv's app to connect to Prime and at first it said bandwidth is too low to play anything. TV is hardwired to Sky ultra fibre modem and speedtests have been giving me 700mbs or there abouts, so I was skeptical of Prime's claim of bandwidth issues. Quickly switched over to netflix and I can stream 4k absolutely no problem.

Restarted the TV and now Prime can play video, no delays or buffering but content doesn't quiet look 4k time to time. I was trying new Grand Tour Season 3 Episode 1 that is just out (main reason for signing up to Prime Video really).

Anyone know how reliable is Prime streaming, has anyone had any issues recently? Long shot but would anyone know if Hisense TV's particular prime app is any good? I don't have any other devices / streamers to try prime unfortunately (other than the PS3 which doesn't do 4k).

Just as an update (if anyone is reading) - Apart from The Grand Tour and a few own titles, everything else I have tried so far is coming up as 'Not available in your region' and gives me choice to rent / buy at additional cost. Almost no free content apart from a few Amazon's own shows. Perhaps some content are only available if I have 'Amazon Prime' which I don't. So yeah, I will be cancelling and trying to 'source' Grand Tour in other ways! :/

positron wrote:
    Just as an update (if anyone is reading) - Apart from The Grand Tour and a few own titles, everything else I have tried so far is coming up as 'Not available in your region' and gives me choice to rent / buy at additional cost. Almost no free content apart from a few Amazon's own shows. Perhaps some content are only available if I have 'Amazon Prime' which I don't. So yeah, I will be cancelling and trying to 'source' Grand Tour in other ways! :/

You need to set it up as if you live in the UK not Ireland to get all of the content..

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You need to set it up as if you live in the UK not Ireland to get all of the content..

But that entails a UK credit/debit card? Or a Revolut card or something similar which adds to the cost?

I paid for the Express VPN and it worked perfectly from Ireland on Amazon.com Prime Video in America, but it never worked on Amazon.co.uk (and, yes, I changed all the servers and did the various suggested changes). Everything I've read says that's because you need a UK address on your credit/debit card to access Amazon.co.uk Prime Video. I'd be happy to find out differently.

Amazon Prime's video offerings to Irish viewers is a complete embarrassment.

But that entails a UK credit/debit card? Or a

Only if you want to buy or rent content. You don't need any of the above for the full UK content that comes with prime video.

You need to change your amazon account to UK rather than Ireland. Under EU law you will be a to use your UK content in any EU country. This will change after Brexit but Brexit is looking like July at the earliest. I have UK content without vpn. They know that I am in Ireland but I still get it. Instructions on how to set it up are on this thread. Unfortunately the thread has been merged with others so I don't know how far you have to go back to find it.

Once you have amazon set to UK rather than Ireland get on amazon live chat & they will set you up in minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I never looked into that as I thought it would involve VPN messing, but if it doesn't then it could be worth a try. I already have a Revolut.

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I changed default address in Amazon to ParcelMotel and unregistered and reregistered the TV and most shows / movies are still 'not available in your region'. However - when I got to primevideo.com on my laptop / PC the same content seems to play no problem.

Have to check the region setting in TV and see what's up with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

You still need to contact Amazon Web Chat and ask them to switch your prime video location to the UK. They should do this with no questions asked.

On a browser Prime Video UK is accessed through the prime video link on the amazon.co.uk website not primevideo.com. Primevideo.com is is used for Prime Video Ireland only.

Advertisement