Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

I signed up for the free trial on the AppleTV app last night.

I started Jack Ryan and was surprised to get poor picture quality. I tried other series and a few movies and nothing is in HD. I'd class it as DVD quality at best.

My internet is strong and Netflix and iTunes are both playing HD no problem.

I was just on Amazon live chat and the guy was no help. The help pages tell me I should be getting HD so can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

EDIT: I'm being too kind comparing it to DVD - Walking Dead and Night Manager are less than VHS quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

ElNino wrote: »
    You still need to contact Amazon Web Chat and ask them to switch your prime video location to the UK. They should do this with no questions asked.

On a browser Prime Video UK is accessed through the prime video link on the amazon.co.uk website not primevideo.com. Primevideo.com is is used for Prime Video Ireland only.

I tried this and they got all curious and technical about IP location and digital rights, and yet couldn't explain how I could view everything on the PC / laptop but not the TV.

Probably just a wrong agent - will try once again, but I am happy enough with Netflix and wouldn't have bothered about Prime at all if it wasn't for The Grand Tour. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I signed up for the free trial on the AppleTV app last night.

I started Jack Ryan and was surprised to get poor picture quality. I tried other series and a few movies and nothing is in HD. I'd class it as DVD quality at best.

My internet is strong and Netflix and iTunes are both playing HD no problem.

I was just on Amazon live chat and the guy was no help. The help pages tell me I should be getting HD so can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

EDIT: I'm being too kind comparing it to DVD - Walking Dead and Night Manager are less than VHS quality.

i have an apple 4k tv and the picture is excellent , 4K HDR on a lot of the new shows

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I wonder if something is wrong with the Apple TV. I have android TV & get full HD, HDR and 4K without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I signed up for the free trial today thinking season8 & 9 of Walking Dead was available but it turns out it is UK only. :P
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I wonder if something is wrong with the Apple TV. I have android TV & get full HD, HDR and 4K without any issues.

He said Netflix and iTunes were streaming fine so it can't be the AppleTV.

• Advertisement

It could be the amazon app. It would be worth uninstalling & installing again

The aul turn it off and on again ;)

The aul turn it off and on again

Solves half of the world's problems. A friend had an irregular heart beat. How did they fix it? Stopped the heart & started it again. :)

Solves half of the world's problems. A friend had an irregular heart beat. How did they fix it? Stopped the heart & started it again. :)

I’ve tried a few titles on Prime ON AppleTV and the image quality varies.

Animation looks great. Bad Moms is crystal clear while Equalizer is not - and I don’t believe it is down to cimatography.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. looked okay at first and suddenly the picture improved.

Night Manager looked bad the other day but much better today.

I’ve been watching Walking Dead for years on laptop and phone and I know there it is meant to be grainy but on AppleTV it has a LOT more grain. Is it supposed to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

The Terror (series) was added yesterday if anyone’s interested.

den87 wrote: »

I am indeed. ;)

den87 wrote:

Never heard of it but if you went to the trouble of posting I assume it's worth a look

den87 wrote:

I searched for this. It's on amazon alright but its coming up as not on prime. 15.99 for season one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I searched for this. It's on amazon alright but its coming up as not on prime. 15.99 for season one

Do you mean on primevideo.com? I see it there, all 10 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Same here.

Amazon UK & on the Prime video app. Pripevideo.com is USA right?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B07KX6MY57/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_2LIVgA_3_1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Showing €15.99 fir S1 on amazon.co.uk for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If I log into Amazon.co.uk it and search for it, yes, you've to pay for the episodes. It also says "Some videos may not be available to watch from your location. Go to PrimeVideo.com to see the video catalogue in the Republic of Ireland." Click on that and The Terror is there without any cost attached. Same on the Prime Video iOS app...no price mentioned. I'm not using a workaround, just ordinary Irish broadband.

If I log into Amazon.co.uk it and search for it, yes, you've to pay for the episodes. It also says "Some videos may not be available to watch from your location. Go to PrimeVideo.com to see the video catalogue in the Republic of Ireland." Click on that and The Terror is there without any cost attached. Same on the Prime Video iOS app...no price mentioned. I'm not using a workaround, just ordinary Irish broadband.

Ah OK. I see what's wrong my end. I have my location set to UK for the larger content

Problem is for me to change location back to Ireland I will lose the UK content.

• Advertisement

If you look back at the early pages of the thread there was a bit of frustration about the range of selection and access upon launch. I'm not sure how much it has improved since.

Started High Castle's third season last evening. Always disturbing to see a child lead a room of people with the Nazi salute.

If you look back at the early pages of the thread there was a bit of frustration about the range of selection and access upon launch. I'm not sure how much it has improved since.

I'm afraid to go back to the Irish version just yet. Come Brexit I will no longer be able to get UK prime. I think I'll wait till then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Started High Castle's third season last evening. Always disturbing to see a child lead a room of people with the Nazi salute.

That show is the only real reason I subscribe.

There’s a few good things on it, Bosch, High Castle, Homecoming. Few good films too. I’m holding out hope they’ll put Counterpart on it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Are all the series of "The Expanse" on it? By that I mean the Irish one etc.

beauf wrote: »
    Are all the series of "The Expanse" on it?

Feb 8th I think

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

den87 wrote: »
    There’s a few good things on it, Bosch, High Castle, Homecoming. Few good films too. I’m holding out hope they’ll put Counterpart on it soon.

Counterpart is on starz. Amazon were giving a free 3 month trial for some of its channels recently. I picked up starz and mgm. Started into counterpart on that. Very good alright.

I don't know of the free 3 months is still there. Fyi my region is set to uk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think amazon prime has improved a lot since it started (it was genuinely pointless at the start) I still switch regions but watched a few shows I hadnt really heard much about before, I especially love fresh off the boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

So my problem now is with Hisense.

I have Amazon Prime account for ROI users - which is PrimeVideo.com.

There's plenty of content in there. I can stream loads of movies on a PC / laptop (and other streaming devices presumably).

The Hisense TV I bought from Argos has an Amazon Prime app. And almost all titles comes up as 'Not available in your region' in the app. I spoke to Amazon and it turns out this is because the TV is connecting to and displaying Amazon Prime UK catalog rather than PrimeVideo catalog that my user account is for.

In Hisense TV settings > Location > There's no Ireland. They have UK, Germany, France etc but no Ireland.

So I contacted Hisense Customer Support, and after getting past their usual 'reset to factory default' and all that script, they have finally come back with this:
    Unfortunately, I have discussed this case with our head office team, who have advised no tests or certification have been completed for use in Ireland. Therefore, Hisense TV's do not support any programs in Ireland. The best I can advise is using an external streaming device.

I am not really all that bothered about Amazon Prime to be honest - BUT - How can Hisense get away ignoring a whole country? Also, false advertising? Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Contact Amazon on Live Chat and ask them to change your Prime country to the UK. Problem solved :)

Advertisement