Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World - II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭metime

jlm29 wrote: »
    I joined SW a few weeks ago, and have lost five pounds. This is pretty crap, considering that I have a nice bit to lose, so I should really have lost a bit more by now. I wouldn't mind my weight loss being slow if I knew I was following the plan, but I just can't get into it. My meals, by and large are fine- not perfect, but not bad. My problem is that I cannot seem to get a handle on my between meals snacking. It's totally mindless, unconscious snacking. If I don't know the syn value, I practically treat it like a free food.
    i need to get myself into line- I haven't really got €9/wk to waste, but I don't want to give up either!

Well done on losing 5 lbs :-D
    It sounds to me like you are sabotaging yourself through lack of research / knowledge / looking at your book... your meals are fine but they are obviously not the best choices if you feel your losses are slow. Some simple things that help me that might be of use for you ... measuring hex a's and hex b's.
    doing the right shopping to give myself a good chance, making sure i replace usual snacks with healthier options when at all possible (picking a lower syn version of chocolate, buying snack packs rather than big packs). it all ads up. Speaking from my own experience if you don't know the syn value of something, find out - BEFORE you put it in your mouth! i nearly made a BIG coconut milk pudding blow out mistake the other night but when I saw the syns it just was not worth it. Glasses of water can help, mandarins are great and grapes too. Binge and snack on free foods!
    What were you expecting to have lost by now?
    Have you an end goal you'd like to reach?
    Hope this doesn't sound preachy or annoying I just want to help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Down 4 stone and a 1/2 pound. Going for another 10 pounds of so but I reckon I'll know when I want to stop. Had a week off plan and probably up a few pounds. Giving myself another week on plan before weigh in to get it off. I can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭metime

Valyawl wrote: »
    Week 22 down 2lbs = 47lbs lost. Onwards and downwards...

you are doing really great - i have just read back a good few pages and your losses are consistent and averaging over 2lbs a week. I'm really really eager to get this average loss and wonder if you could share some tips about what way you go about it as it seems to obviously be working well!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    I signed up last week and didn't get the book either, still didn't get it this week but didn't see anyone else with it either. I'm a wuss too so said nothing ... hoping she just hasn't got them in yet! Well done on your weigh in!

Just found this thread I have been going to SW since June after other half keep on at me about it. To date I have lost 3 stone. I signed up for the 12 week countdown and I got the book the following week. We both love the book with all the slow cooker recipes. It has been a god send with both of us working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

@metime, thank you for your message. As of last week i was down 58.5lbs which as you say is an average of 2 lbs per week. I have not gained or maintained during this time my lowest loss was .5 and my highest loss just 3lbs. I use my syns mostly after weigh in Wed, thursday and friday. I try to to use only minimal syns for the other days as I have them used across the other days! I cut out red wine drinking at home as this usually led to bag of doritos chocoolate and ice cream!
    I only started walking a few weeks ago and this is mostly for my headspace rather than exercise however it has toned me up. For breakfast during work I would have 2 boiled eggs, plenty of speed before lunch, homemade soup and chicken/ham salad for lunch. Dinner is usually chicken or steak all cooked in fry light, homemade roast potatoes or chips with plenty of salad or veg. I have bought the JD seasoning online for chips they are lovely and free. I buy the aldi sandwich thins and bacon medallions for the weekend breakfast. I have also bought meat from the naked meat company . I did an experiment one week where i Used little or no syns for one week and I still only lost 2lbs! So I would say use your syns. I don't really stay to the meetings maybe the odd one as I get lots of information online. I'm just back from edinburgh looks like 2lbs on so I'm back on plan until weigh in next Wednesday, hope this helps. Val

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

What are the naked meat company products like? Worth it?
    I have started using the JD Seasoning products in the last week or so and find them really good and handy!

I think the food is lovely, I have just placed an order for delivery here on Saturday. I usually buy the chicken marylands (i.5 syn) the sausage pattis (1 syn) the 98% burgers are lovely (free) plus I have bought the naked curry chicken pack (4 chicken fillets, mayflower curry powder, peppers/onions plus chips) all for 6.99. I follow her on snapchat too under the naked blondie along with a few of the other guys Slim With Derek, Slim with Fiona, Slim with Lynne, Slim with Emma, Slim with Claire, I find they give lots of tips for SW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have unfollowed her on Snapchat as the constant bombardment of advertising was too much. I hope she makes a go of her company, but I got tired of seeing the same posts over and over and over again. The meals she makes always look lovely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

First weigh in last night since hitting target three weeks ago, up 3lb. I'm still within the 3lb+/- allowance thankfully!

I was fully expecting it, was in New York for a week (was up 10lb on my home scales when I got home :o ) & then had my Nieces birthday last week. 100% back on track now, hopefully by next week I will be back to target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

First weigh in since October 11th. Thought there would be a huge gain as I haven't exactly been on plan but was down 1 pound. Treat day today then back on 100%. Hoping for a 2lb loss this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Joined slimming world online yesterday after reading through the threads here on Boards. After spending a while reading the food lists, I realised most of my diet is from the syn list. :( I am pretty good at each veg with most meals but obviously the syns are the reason I can't shift weight.

What do people find good for snacking, it's my big downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Humour Me wrote: »
    Joined slimming world online yesterday after reading through the threads here on Boards. After spending a while reading the food lists, I realised most of my diet is from the syn list. :( I am pretty good at each veg with most meals but obviously the syns are the reason I can't shift weight.

I find when I fill up my meals with speed that I don’t tend to snack much at all.. if I do it would be fruit, a hifi bar or a yogurt.. I am a target member nearly 2 years and I have found I really don’t want the chocolate I would have previously. I’ll save my syns for a bar of chocolate if I really want it, otherwise I’ll use my syns on things like mayonnaise or cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

Hi! I've recently started re-following SW, but I'm doing it by myself and not going to classes (I have all the books and knowledge from last time), but I've forgotten some syn values. Does anyone know how many syns are in a Pat the Baker ProteinPlus Slimbo?

Humour Me wrote: »

It's quite easy to make syn-free versions of your favorite meals, you will surprise yourself at how inventive you get once you get used to it!
    There is loads of websites with recipes, I usually just google whatever I want to make & just write syn free first, there is always loads of links.
    Pintrest is great for syn values, especially snacks...

Hi! I've recently started re-following SW, but I'm doing it by myself and not going to classes (I have all the books and knowledge from last time), but I've forgotten some syn values. Does anyone know how many syns are in a Pat the Baker ProteinPlus Slimbo?

5.5 syns or Healthy Extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

5.5 syns or Healthy Extra
    I was guessing 6, good to know! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BeeBeeBui

Hi. I'm thinking of joining SW. I'd love to lose about a stone and a half. The only part I find a bit off-putting is the public announcements of weight loss/gain and I saw some reference to clapping etc. Is this true?

BeeBeeBui wrote: »
    Hi. I'm thinking of joining SW. I'd love to lose about a stone and a half. The only part I find a bit off-putting is the public announcements of weight loss/gain and I saw some reference to clapping etc. Is this true?

Don't let that put you off, You can ask your consultant not to call on you...
    Plus, after a couple of weeks it wont feel as daunting! You may even want a round of applause after a really good loss :)

I'm only sorry I waited so long to join up!

Also I'm a vegetarian, I presume that won't be a problem...I think I'll go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

BeeBeeBui wrote: »
    Also I'm a vegetarian, I presume that won't be a problem...I think I'll go for it!

I’m more or less a vegetarian and it’s really not a problem, there are so many veggie recipes out there and even the meat ones can be easily adapted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I didn't bother going to WI last Thursday. I've been soooo off plan. I got on my own scales and was up about half a stone! Thought that would stop me but it hasn't. I'm thinking by Thursday I'll probably be up 10lbs in the two weeks. It's absolutely disgusting! I've put up more than I'd lost. Going to face WI anyway. Don't think I'll bother staying. Don't need any of her "insights". I gained because I've been a little piggy lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I didn't bother going to WI last Thursday. I've been soooo off plan. I got on my own scales and was up about half a stone! Thought that would stop me but it hasn't. I'm thinking by Thursday I'll probably be up 10lbs in the two weeks. It's absolutely disgusting! I've put up more than I'd lost. Going to face WI anyway. Don't think I'll bother staying. Don't need any of her "insights". I gained because I've been a little piggy lol

I thought about waiting until Saturday to weigh this week- one of my kids had a birthday party the other day, and I ate everything but the children!! Went to face it today, and was the same, so happy out with that. I’ll sit down in the morning and make a meal plan for the week, and try and have a few good weeks running up to Xmas. I didn’t stay to group either today, there was a massive crowd, and I knew I’d be there all day

Week 29 down 1.5lbs = 60lbs lost. Onwards and downwards.delighted with that after my trip to Edinburgh . I'm going through some personal stuff right now so I'm trying to keep out of the red wine , chocolate and crisps ( low fat!)

Went to my first weigh in on Wednesday night. It was great. Consultant very nice and encouraging. Stayed for the group....a very new experience for me but I can see how it works. About half the members just weighed and left but I've been advised to stay for group for the first few weeks at least.
    As for the plan it was all a muddle in my head as I left but by now I think I have it sussed. Ordered the vegetarian recipe book which looks fab.
    It really makes you stop a think before you eat but doesn't stop you eating!
    Weigh in next Wed will be interesting 😊

Weighed in Thursday, was down 2lb which is still withing my target range.

I'm being less strict on myself since becoming a target member, I do need to be careful though.
    I went food shopping after group & decided I needed to treat myself to a tub of Haagen-Dazs Salted Caramel since I am a month at target. I told myself I would only have a little bit, I didn't have any syns that day so it was ok... I accidentally ate half the tub. Then last night when I got home, I was sitting on the sofa & the rest of the tub jumped out of the freezer, along with a spoon... so I ate it. That is 60 syns on ice-cream in two days!! :o

There must be something in the water.... I have gone over my syns the last 3 days so now need to "cop on" 60 syns last night on crisps and chocolate and same the previous 2 nights yikes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Weighed in Thursday, was down 2lb which is still withing my target range.

I'm being less strict on myself since becoming a target member, I do need to be careful though.
    I went food shopping after group & decided I needed to treat myself to a tub of Haagen-Dazs Salted Caramel since I am a month at target. I told myself I would only have a little bit, I didn't have any syns that day so it was ok... I accidentally ate half the tub. Then last night when I got home, I was sitting on the sofa & the rest of the tub jumped out of the freezer, along with a spoon... so I ate it. That is 60 syns on ice-cream in two days!! :o

I have also been that soldier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I joined again last week. Lost 1.5 lbs first week without really giving it everything. Came out determined to follow it religiously this week. Five ciders, bag of Tayto AND bag of peanuts topped off by burger and chips last night. I am guessing I won't be Slimmer of the Week this week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I was affected by whatever is in the water this week as well. Last night I had 2 bits of dark chocolate at 7 syns each, a few cream cracker and god knows what else. I'm usually not one for going over my syns and being surrounded by food doesn't affect me anymore...until last night. I basically sent myself to my room and away from the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Does anyone know if McCambridge bread is on plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Does anyone know if McCambridge bread is on plan?

Just looked on the app and it seems 1 slice of the gluten free McCambridge soda bread is a HeXB

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Just looked on the app and it seems 1 slice of the gluten free McCambridge soda bread is a HeXB

Thank you. Your so kind for checking. I was rushing around this morning and in Tesco and I googled it but there was no straight forward answer.
    I must download the app and get myself in gear properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Whats everybody using for batch cooking ? What containers ?

For stir frays I use ziplock freezer bags and same for soups

I was down 1.5lbs last night bringing me to 3 stone 8lbs! Delighted to have received my 3.5 stone award. I'm going back to basics this week and wiring down everything I eat and getting my water in. I started pilates last night and I have yoga tonight. I'm determined to fix my back problem so I can try and get back to my couch to 5k app. I'm close to being half way with my weight loss which makes me feel amazing. It's a great feeling leaving all my bad weight memories in 2017 and focusing on reaching target in 2018!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Well done areas. I am at the start of my journey 5th time) but reading stuff like that can help motivate.

Week 30 down 1.5lbs = 61.5lbs lost. Onwards and downwards.delighted with that after eating 2 full weeks of syns across 4 days! I have been good since Sunday though to try and undo some of the damage! My luck will surely run out!

First weigh in tonight...down 4 lbs. Delighted! Could be beginners luck though....this week will tell a lot. Meal out booked for Saturday, birthday early next week...looking dodgy but I'm buoyed by the week just gone.

I was down 1.5lbs last night. Which brings me to 3st 9.5lbs so far!

• Advertisement

Week 31 down 3lbs = 64.5lbs lost. Onwards and downwards.delighted with that as I was off plan again for 5 days, only thing is I've upped my walking maybe that's saving me !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi folks, does anyone know what difference breast feeding makes to SW, are you allowed extra sums for the extra calories burned?

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi folks, does anyone know what difference breast feeding makes to SW, are you allowed extra sums for the extra calories burned?
    You are, depending on the age of your baby. There’s a leaflet they give out at class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

He's 5 months and he's EBF. I am going to join a class, but I won't be able to for a couple of weeks. I have all the other info from when my husband went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

ncmc wrote: »
    He's 5 months and he's EBF. I am going to join a class, but I won't be able to for a couple of weeks. I have all the other info from when my husband went.
    You get more Healthy extras up to 6 months old, after that you’ve to reduce so it would be worth chatting to a consultant.

It’s six healthy extras up to six months, at least 3 (or mayvec4) of which should be As. It reduces at 6 months, but I can’t remember the details!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Changed job, moved house and missed 6 weeks of group and went up 10.5 :o

Oh it was a struggle going back but glad I did and I asked to redo new member talk to get back on track. Down 5.5lbs my first week back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Long shot, but anyone have experience of a group around the Dublin 18 area (Sandyford/Leopardstown).

I know there are groups in Stepaside and Sandyford but would travel for a really good one. Member for 2 years, just relocating.

thanks

I was up half a pound last night. I wasn't really on plan this week but I'm back on it this morning and I have my water bottle next to me at my desk and I'm drinking away! I neglected the water over the past few weeks and I believe that made a big difference.

Long shot, but anyone have experience of a group around the Dublin 18 area (Sandyford/Leopardstown).

I know there are groups in Stepaside and Sandyford but would travel for a really good one. Member for 2 years, just relocating.

thanks

I moved to the one in Olaf's gaa club a couple of months back, Janet is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I moved to the one in Olaf's gaa club a couple of months back, Janet is lovely.

Thanks, that's as close as any to me, but a good consultant makes all the difference. I wont make this week but will try get across next Thursday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement