Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I do think you are one of that GUST lot. If you know so much care to enlighten us?

Long story, but no, I'm not one of them. I'm just saying that things are being assumed without anything to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Why are we all assuming that Gleeson was dropped and that he didn't leave of his own accord?

He didn't leave of his own accord. It was entirely Dunne's decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

He didn't leave of his own accord. It was entirely Dunne's decision.

Which is normally how things work. Or does Galway have a Director of Football that controls comings and goings Civis?

Which is normally how things work. Or does Galway have a Director of Football that controls comings and goings Civis?

Pinturicchio probably knows what he is talking about. Doesn't often happen, but true in this case :D

There is no director of football. Tommy has complete autonomy on the playing side, as long as he stays within his budget. As it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

5 goals from set pieces in the last 2 games. Awful stuff. Sam Oji was heralded as a big signing at the start of the season but he isn't up to much from what I've seen so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Any video from this , goals, highlights etc ? Only home game missed this season with work commitments.

youngrun wrote: »
    Any video from this , goals, highlights etc ? Only home game missed this season with work commitments.

There's an embargo on highlights until after Soccer Republic airs on Monday nights.

There will be short (usually) highlights from it on Soccer Republic tonight. Programme starts at 11.05pm.

More substantial highlights from Galway United TV usually go up that night or in the couple of days that follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    5 goals from set pieces in the last 2 games. Awful stuff. Sam Oji was heralded as a big signing at the start of the season but he isn't up to much from what I've seen so far.

He's been a liability since day 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Intifada wrote: »
    He's been a liability since day 1

Hopefully he'll hit his stride sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

The defending for the two Rovers goals looked bad on the night but truly awful when watched back on Soccer Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Champions are coming to town tonight for a refixed league game because they're playing Champions League next week. Should be a good game. Looking forward to seeing Daryl Horgan and Stevie O'Donnell at Terryland Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Despite the result last night, I think it's worth highlighting what an honest and gutsy set of players Galway have this year. They always try to play football the right way and that's why I go to the games as often as I can.

To pull it back from 3-0 down to 3-2, and then almost snatch a draw against the best team in the country, showed great resolve. If Shanahan had pulled the trigger a bit quicker on that late chance it could have been a truly unforgettable night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya it was a great comeback, great heart and effort shown, we really should have levelled too. Wish TD had set the players up to have a go rather than just sitting back for the first hour too though, let them play I say.

Surprised not to see any mention of this, should be a good crowd and I hope we can making a lasting impression on supporters that may not venture to Eamonn Deacy Park often.

Kick off brought forward so there is no clash with the GAA at 5pm at Pearse.

CKL6opgWEAAbKIn.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

I understand the importance of this game to the coffers but personally i had no interest in watching a load of teenagers who will end up playing for Chesterfield and Rochdale. Look forward seeing the lads knock a few past Bray the next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,033 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

deisedude wrote: »
    I understand the importance of this game to the coffers but personally i had no interest in watching a load of teenagers who will end up playing for Chesterfield and Rochdale. Look forward seeing the lads knock a few past Bray the next day

Bit harsh that. In 2010 when Liverpool last played here, of the players that played that day 1 is currently playing fro AC Milan, 2 are playing first team for Liverpool and 6 others all played Premiership football at some stage after the game.

Saying that, I just looked at the team that played Saturday and there were not too many of the more 'household' youth players but to be fair they did have 3 games in a few days - they played Waterford & UCD also in the last couple of days.

What were the numbers like? Hopefully the got a nice turn out and more people can go to games. Would have gone myself but was out of the county for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Chance tonight to go 9 points clear of the playoff spot. Gave Bray a 5-0 thrashing last time we played them. Bray are on the up however and 3 wins from their last 3 will mean it will not be as straightforward as last time we played them. I predict goals but a narrow win for Galway 3-2. Hoping for a high turnout tonight, weather is good and should be an entertaining game.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Chance tonight to go 9 points clear of the playoff spot. Gave Bray a 5-0 thrashing last time we played them. Bray are on the up however and 3 wins from their last 3 will mean it will not be as straightforward as last time we played them. I predict goals but a narrow win for Galway 3-2. Hoping for a high turnout tonight, weather is good and should be an entertaining game.
    A bit of a strange one, without playing a game, United moved up to 6th in the table because of the way the results went last weekend.

The Bray game has sort of snuck up and it's actually such an important game for the club. A top 6 finish would be above anyone's expectations for the first season back I'd imagine and we're still in both cups.

We hammered Bray last time out but they're a much different side now, I still feel we'll have too much for them, 3-1 United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

Woo hoo!! A cup final!! I know it might be a distraction from the league, but it'll be a great day out, hopefully the town will get behind the lads in the run up to it!

colm-horgan-winning-penalty.png

• Advertisement

Great display by an injury ravaged squad last night. When and where is the final going to be played?

Great display by an injury ravaged squad last night. When and where is the final going to be played?

September 19th, rumour that we might be at home as that's the side of the draw ourselves and dundalk were on.Only a rumour though.

Great display by an injury ravaged squad last night.

4 subs from a possible 7 named. 3 of them were u19 players who haven't even played for that team yet (League hasn't started).

September 19th, rumour that we might be at home as that's the side of the draw ourselves and dundalk were on.Only a rumour though.

Haha typical it would be the only day in the next 2 months I can't go!

Poor result. Was some battle tho. Nice to see Ludden and Walsh are fine. Shame Vinny has thrown a wobbler on the "GUST" forum again. Means this is the best place for Galway fans.

What's the story with the forum? Had seen the initial warning but now it's offline. I hadn't seen anything too bad but I suppose I wasn't on it regularly enough to see anything.

What's the story with the forum? Had seen the initial warning but now it's offline. I hadn't seen anything too bad but I suppose I wasn't on it regularly enough to see anything.

No idea. Guess its just another hissy fit. Ya think some of those GUST lads would pop here with an excuse/explanation but nope.

Very strange. I suppose we'll have to stay here for the time being so.

Bad result last night but the injury crisis and now suspension crisis is affecting us big time. Huge game on Monday and I'm not at all confident.

Very strange. I suppose we'll have to stay here for the time being so.

Bad result last night but the injury crisis and now suspension crisis is affecting us big time. Huge game on Monday and I'm not at all confident.

Ludden and Walsh crocked and Curran suspended from lastnight alone.
    Cunninghams knee injury aswell. Running horribly short at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Shame to see the problems with the squad at this point of the season. Hoping Jake Keegan has enough in his Engine to help drive the lads on. I would think there's not that many more points required to stay up. Staying up and a good performance in the cup would be a great result

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Shame to see the problems with the squad at this point of the season. Hoping Jake Keegan has enough in his Engine to help drive the lads on. I would think there's not that many more points required to stay up. Staying up and a good performance in the cup would be a great result

Lots of points needed to stay up given Sligo and Limericks form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What did the warning say?

Huge game tonight versus Drogheda, they are in equally bad form but you'd worry that the injuries are gonna hurt us more.

What did the warning say?

Basically if people werent nice about GUST he'd pull the site. No idea what caused the warning but was quite childish.

Huge game tonight versus Drogheda, they are in equally bad form but you'd worry that the injuries are gonna hurt us more.
    Out injured are:
    Ludden
    Walsh
    Barry
    Curran (susp)
    Cunningham
    Are O'Connell & O'Laoi still injured aswell or were they just silently released like the one game wonder O'Donovan?

Basically if people werent nice about GUST he'd pull the site. No idea what caused the warning but was quite childish.
    That's not what it said at all. The lad who owns the forum was pissed off about posters making the same (admittedly not very funny) joke over and over again. Every match thread had posts along the lines of "I hope we win, but a draw wouldn't be as bad as a defeat" posted repeatedly.

Out injured are:
    Ludden
    Walsh
    Barry
    Curran (susp)
    Cunningham
    Are O'Connell & O'Laoi still injured aswell or were they just silently released like the one game wonder O'Donovan?

Ludden, Walsh, Barry, Cunningam, Connolly, Cantwell and O'Connell are injured.

C. Horgan and Curran are suspended.

That leaves us with 10 fit senior players for tonight, two of which are goalkeepers. Seven or so of the U19s have been called up to the senior squad.

That's not what it said at all. The lad who owns the forum was pissed off about posters making the same (admittedly not very funny) joke over and over again. Every match thread had posts along the lines of "I hope we win, but a draw wouldn't be as bad as a defeat" posted repeatedly.

Ludden, Walsh, Barry, Cunningam, Connolly, Cantwell and O'Connell are injured.

C. Horgan and Curran are suspended.

That leaves us with 10 fit senior players for tonight, two of which are goalkeepers. Seven or so of the U19s have been called up to the senior squad.

Still petulant and childlike from Galways "Media Officer". Like a child he didnt like how people were playing so he took his ball and went home so no one could play. Is Colm suspended for accumulation of yellows?

Still petulant and childlike from Galways "Media Officer". Like a child he didnt like how people were playing so he took his ball and went home so no one could play. Is Colm suspended for accumulation of yellows?

Yeah, 5 yellows. Byrne is 1 yellow away from the same suspension.

• Advertisement

Yeah, 5 yellows. Byrne is 1 yellow away from the same suspension.

So probably be.

Hanley/Winn
    McConnell? Oji Sinnott Raftery
    Molloy Byrne O'Leary Melody Shanahan
    Keegan

Hape of kids on bench?

1-1. Decent result all things considered. I thought the two young lads Melody and McConnell did very well.

1-1. Decent result all things considered. I thought the two young lads Melody and McConnell did very well.

Ya Melody had a good game, looked very comfortable and confident on the ball, if only he slid Gary in towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,630 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tonight was the first time I'd been up to see a match in a while. I seem to be cursed to be stuck working every time there is a home game. Thought it was a pretty good contest, though I think Drogedha would have well deserved the victory, considering all the chances they created in the second half.

This may seem like a strange question, but it was asked of me at one point this evening: why do they bother printing tickets for the game? They seem kind of pointless- You pay your money, get a ticket, go throw the turnstile and then throw the ticket away. I presume they count as an expense for the club? It seems to me that it's an unnecessary one - why not just pay at the turnstile? It's a small thing and I'm sure someone out there can enlighten me, but considering cash is not something that League of Ireland is awash with, why not cut the cost of something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Arghus wrote: »
    Tonight was the first time I'd been up to see a match in a while. I seem to be cursed to be stuck working every time there is a home game. Thought it was a pretty good contest, though I think Drogedha would have well deserved the victory, considering all the chances they created in the second half.

This may seem like a strange question, but it was asked of me at one point this evening: why do they bother printing tickets for the game? They seem kind of pointless- You pay your money, get a ticket, go throw the turnstile and then throw the ticket away. I presume they count as an expense for the club? It seems to me that it's an unnecessary one - why not just pay at the turnstile? It's a small thing and I'm sure someone out there can enlighten me, but considering cash is not something that League of Ireland is awash with, why not cut the cost of something like this?

Ticketing is an FAI licencing requirement and in turn a UEFA requirement.

Physical ticket stubs or scanned barcodes need to be available for auditing purposes. Where there is no paper trail for sales cash goes missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,630 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ticketing is an FAI licencing requirement and in turn a UEFA requirement.

Physical ticket stubs or scanned barcodes need to be available for auditing purposes. Where there is no paper trail for sales cash goes missing.

Ah, I figured there'd be some red tape fluttering about. Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Very disappointing crowd last night. Nearly half what we would normally have for a home league game. Considering Limerick had nearly 2000 at their game it is hard to put it down to solely being a Monday night.

Thought we did really well considering the injuries. The likes of Hanley, Oji and Keegan really stepped up to the mark, The U19's did as well as you could expect. The free for the Drogheda goal was a needless one and we could have Knicked the game if we were a bit more clinical. Saying that Drogheda looked a poor team and their finishing was bad.

FAI cup against Dundalk on Friday. Id be inclined to blood some more of the younger players against them. We need to focus on picking up as many points as possible in the league now and getting lads back from Injury. The relegation spot is getting uncomfortably close.

Very disappointing crowd last night. Nearly half what we would normally have for a home league game. Considering Limerick had nearly 2000 at their game it is hard to put it down to solely being a Monday night.

Thought we did really well considering the injuries. The likes of Hanley, Oji and Keegan really stepped up to the mark, The U19's did as well as you could expect. The free for the Drogheda goal was a needless one and we could have Knicked the game if we were a bit more clinical. Saying that Drogheda looked a poor team and their finishing was bad.

FAI cup against Dundalk on Friday. Id be inclined to blood some more of the younger players against them. We need to focus on picking up as many points as possible in the league now and getting lads back from Injury. The relegation spot is getting uncomfortably close.
    Given how poor, indecisive and error prone we were at the back id find it hard to say Oji stepped up, hes the highest paid player at the club and has been sub standard all season. Hanley made some good saves but again he was horribly indecisive and never came for the ball on at least three maybe four occasions that he should have.

Definitely should dismiss the FAI Cup game, the league cup has taken too much out of us as is so best to write it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

If you paid 15 quid in to either or both the last two home league games in which the fare on offer was mind numbing, I wouldn't be surprised if people decided to give it a miss on a Monday night.

Personally even though I am a season ticket holder I couldn't face a 250 Km round trip on the off chance of a good game.

Seven Worlds will Collide

If you paid 15 quid in to either or both the last two home league games in which the fare on offer was mind numbing, I wouldn't be surprised if people decided to give it a miss on a Monday night.

Personally even though I am a season ticket holder I couldn't face a 250 Km round trip on the off chance of a good game.

The Liverpool game on tv didnt help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The 7pm rain put me off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement