Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They look fairly poorly organized at the back. Considering most of these lads played together last season they really should be doing better at the back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Football in Galway is hamstrung by people in power who put their own interests above all else.

I thought there is a coop now and a board in place that is drawn from all interested parties in Galway ?

Utd lost 3 very good players from last year Manning Barrett Conneely and have not replaced them with as good quality in addition to the need to add depth to squad. O leary looks decent, and Cunningham also when he came on. The other new faces are yet to convince .
    Badly need a couple of good results to get the Galway sporting bandwagon behind them, terryland is a great stadium /venue . First 25 mins v good last Fri but they shot themselves in the foot for second week running very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Teams like Sligo do better than us because Rovers are the number 1 gig in town. Likewise in Dundalk and for most of the year, Cork too. Connacht Rugby has taken off and we're directly competing with that. On top of this, Galway's sporting public is notoriously fair-weather (myself included tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Wally, what you said above is correct, but worrying about other codes and teams in other regions won't help. Galway United could thrive if it was given a proper chance.

Bemoaning the fact that people won't come to see them does nothing. I know you were probably just pointing it out all the same.

Galway United needs to be a club and something even vaguely resembling Ruud Dokter's plans needs to happen in Galway.

At the moment, with all due respect to the overwhelming majority of people that are involved, who are genuine (and respect is due), it's more ONE CITY, ONE COUNTY, NO CLUB, than anything and it's advantageous to a handful of people in Galway and the FAI to keep it that way.

Lots of people working hard for Galway United, as they always have, with no say in anything.

Wally, what you said above is correct, but worrying about other codes and teams in other regions won't help. Galway United could thrive if it was given a proper chance.

Bemoaning the fact that people won't come to see them does nothing. I know you were probably just pointing it out all the same.

Galway United needs to be a club and something even vaguely resembling Ruud Dokter's plans needs to happen in Galway.

At the moment, with all due respect to the overwhelming majority of people that are involved, who are genuine (and respect is due), it's more ONE CITY, ONE COUNTY, NO CLUB, than anything and it's advantageous to a handful of people in Galway and the FAI to keep it that way.

Lots of people working hard for Galway United, as they always have, with no say in anything.

What are Ruud Dokters plans?

WHat difference would they make ? And why do you say there are problems?? I am confused thought the Co-op and like was designed to get all parties on board. From the outside looking in GUFC looks like a well run club, big sponsor,great facilities, needs to add a few decent players ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

youngrun wrote: »
    What are Ruud Dokters plans?

WHat difference would they make ? And why do you say there are problems?? I am confused thought the Co-op and like was designed to get all parties on board. From the outside looking in GUFC looks like a well run club, big sponsor,great facilities, needs to add a few decent players ??

We are not Man City or Chelsea, we need to stick to a budget which will see us through the season, not one that goes tits up after two months.

We are not Man City or Chelsea, we need to stick to a budget which will see us through the season, not one that goes tits up after two months.

Does that mean the squad will be as is for coming season? Whats the youth set up like, anything coming through a la Manning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

As always the manager will take credit/blame for performances. How did he end up with a situation whereby his squad has nobody older than 29? United must not be an attractive proposition. Are there no players available in the city who would like to play for United and who are good enough for that level? Where is all the talent?

bobbyss wrote: »
    As always the manager will take credit/blame for performances. How did he end up with a situation whereby his squad has nobody older than 29? United must not be an attractive proposition. Are there no players available in the city who would like to play for United and who are good enough for that level? Where is all the talent?

Lost a good few of the squad from last yr, especially top end players like Manning-was going to go anyway, Barrett, Faherty, Conneely, derek O brien . Bought in 3/4 outsiders rather than local additions ? I dont know if there are prospects with Mervue/SDFC etc that can make the jump although am sure Dunne is always looking?

There is a half decent team there at minute, wonder if the like of Faherty or Alan Murphy could be tempted back to add a bit of extra nous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Lost a good few of the squad from last yr, especially top end players like Manning-was going to go anyway, Barrett, Faherty, Conneely, derek O brien . Bought in 3/4 outsiders rather than local additions ? I dont know if there are prospects with Mervue/SDFC etc that can make the jump although am sure Dunne is always looking?

There is a half decent team there at minute, wonder if the like of Faherty or Alan Murphy could be tempted back to add a bit of extra nous.

They would certainly add experience though Faherty's goal scoring record isn't Shearesque. I don't know what his record is per games played for United? He would be good at ... eh holding the ball up and doing up his bandana. Murphy certainly could bring something. Where are they both now?

• Advertisement

Murphy was past it four years ago so no thanks, theres nobody currently playing in Galway with the necessary desire to play and Vinny is playing with Limerick and wouldnt offer much different to what we have.

Murphy was past it four years ago so no thanks, theres nobody currently playing in Galway with the necessary desire to play and Vinny is playing with Limerick and wouldnt offer much different to what we have.

Faherty looked dangerous last season , 8 goals without too many full games ?

Are there players good enough locally to play , interesting comment on desire to play ?!

Faherty looked dangerous last season , 8 goals without too many full games ?

Are there players good enough locally to play , interesting comment on desire to play ?!

Desire has always been the issue with local players. There are many talented footballers in Galway but for numerous reasons they dont want to be travelling up and down the country on a part time basis for 6/7 months of the year while not guaranteed money or playing time, perfectly understandable. Vinny is a perfectly good player, but he didnt have a huge effect last season and he that was in the First Division also, the budget was better off being used elsewhere.

Desire has always been the issue with local players. There are many talented footballers in Galway but for numerous reasons they dont want to be travelling up and down the country on a part time basis for 6/7 months of the year while not guaranteed money or playing time, perfectly understandable. Vinny is a perfectly good player, but he didnt have a huge effect last season and he that was in the First Division also, the budget was better off being used elsewhere.

Where are these players??!
    Is there not an agreed budget and funding in place already for this season ( and next ) via main sponsor?
    I take your point and know from other sports involvement the difficulties in getting amateur and unreimbursed sportspeople to travel/compete even at national level events.

Where are these players??!
    Is there not an agreed budget and funding in place already for this season ( and next ) via main sponsor?
    I take your point and know from other sports involvement the difficulties in getting amateur and unreimbursed sportspeople to travel/compete even at national level events.

The budget was agreed pre season, this was then used to form a squad, thats where we are right now. Additions were made to the squad e.g. Oji, Raftery, Garcia, Winn, O'Leary and a couple of young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I don't think there's anything to worry about squad-wise. They're fairly young alright but they've been competitive in every game and ironically, Oji (our most experienced defender) has been sent off twice and Walsh (another with plenty of PD experience) has been sent off also. We'd probably have gone on to win on Friday night if it wasn't for the 2nd brainfart in the space of a week.
    The target this season was always to stay up, consolidate our position in the PD. I'm confident that will happen, Bray and Limerick look to be in trouble and I personally don't think Longford are up to much. I would have predicted 9th or 10th at the start of the season and I'd stand by that still.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

Many heading up to Tallaght on Friday? I'm bringing a car load up with me and I think there's already 25+ names down for the supporters bus. Hopefully we can try and get 100+ Galway lads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

After watching Soccer Republic this week, and seeing several of United's games this season, I think Gleeson, in goals, is one of the weaker links in the team. He seems to have no confidence in going for crosses, and that in turn causes defenders to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

After watching Soccer Republic this week, and seeing several of United's games this season, I think Gleeson, in goals, is one of the weaker links in the team. He seems to have no confidence in going for crosses, and that in turn causes defenders to panic.

Conor Winn was in goals last week.

Ger Hanley is back from injury and available for the first time this season tomorrow.

I think Gleeson, in goals, is one of the weaker links in the team. He seems to have no confidence in going for crosses, and that in turn causes defenders to panic.

A far better choice than Winn though. Hanley should give him proper competition when he's back. He's in contention for tomorrow night, according to the preview anyway.

Oji and Walsh suspended, O'Leary injured in training and Cantwell and McDonagh still a few weeks away.

Oji is only down for a single match ban, but maybe the disciplinary committee hadnt met before the suspensions for this week were decided. Will know either way next Monday I suppose.

People were talking about an appeal over Oji's other sending off, but it specifically states in the rules that decisions cannot be appealed.
    RULE 114. EXPULSION

3. A direct or indirect red card incurs a one (1) match automatic suspension.

This automatic suspension is not subject to appeal unless in the case of mistaken identity as provided for in Rule 114.11

Shamrock Rovers match preview

• Advertisement

Conor Winn was in goals last week.

Ger Hanley is back from injury and available for the first team this season tomorrow.

Cheers, my mistake, I see now that Gleeson played against Cork and Winn played against Longford. Thought Winn could have done better for both goals in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

People were talking about an appeal over Oji's other sending off, but it specifically states in the rules that decisions cannot be appealed.

That rule seems to be in line with UEFA's stance on appeals (e.g. Ibrahimovic's red vs Chelsea).

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

ConConKing wrote: »
    Many heading up to Tallaght on Friday? I'm bringing a car load up with me and I think there's already 25+ names down for the supporters bus. Hopefully we can try and get 100+ Galway lads there.
    I will go if you sell me a rake of drink

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Galway shooting themselves in the foot a lot this season. They're really showing inexperience with these sending offs. It's annoying me. I don't mind losing too much but Christ...just keep 11 men. Give us a hope.

Galway shooting themselves in the foot a lot this season. They're really showing inexperience with these sending offs. It's annoying me. I don't mind losing too much but Christ...just keep 11 men. Give us a hope.

Given the standard of refereeing in the league i wouldnt be surprised if one or both of the yellow cards Ludden got were harsh or just wrong. Oji's first sending off has already been proven to have been a shocking decision.

Given the standard of refereeing in the league i wouldnt be surprised if one or both of the yellow cards Ludden got were harsh or just wrong. Oji's first sending off has already been proven to have been a shocking decision.

Absolutely. It's not a particularly dirty league, but referees have been throwing out red cards like confetti this season. Four red cards in the four games yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

First of three home matches in a row at Eamonn Deacy Park this afternoon against Cockhill Celtic.

Got to be beating these and having a good run in the cup

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

OJ should be fined by Management , he headbutted the Longford player , I know that Longford player hit him first , there is no excuse , he is our highest paid player , also he is 29 years , he should know better .

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement