Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

mgn wrote: »
    What were the doing at 3pm today when the announced that a deal was done.
    Having their mask-free/social distancing free Christmas party?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What were the doing at 3pm today when the announced that a deal was done.

Don't know.

Just posted the FYI to let you know about the extended news.

Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

elperello wrote: »
    Don't know.

Just posted the FYI to let you know about the extended news.

Happy Christmas.

The dident extend the News either.

jmcc wrote: »
    Having their mask-free/social distancing free Christmas party?

Regards...jmcc

That's allowed, RTE are exempt from rules.

The dident extend the News either.

I was trying to help by posting when the announcer said they were extending the bulletin.

The news was listed from 6.01 to 6.15 including weather. It ran until about 6.30 plus weather.

That's an extension IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I was trying to help by posting when the announcer said they were extending the bulletin.

The news was listed from 6.01 to 6.15 including weather. It ran until about 6.30 plus weather.

That's actualy gas. Happy Christmas.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    That's actualy gas. Happy Christmas.

Many happy returns :)

And do you think a 30 minute News is good enough for the day that's in it.

Its not something that came out of the blue, it was well flagged last night that a deal was more or less done so the had plenty of time to get their act together.

If this happened last week it would have being wall to wall coverage for the day.

But we cant upset our RTE superstars by asking them to come in today for a few hours can we.

Its not something that came out of the blue, it was well flagged last night that a deal was more or less done so the had plenty of time to get their act together.

If this happened last week it would have being wall to wall coverage for the day.

But we cant upset our RTE superstars by asking them to come in today for a few hours can we.

I was just trying to help you out by posting the info. about the extended Six One News.

I suppose that like myself you tuned into a news channel when the deal was announced and picked up most of what was relevant.

RTE added reports from Dublin, London and Brussels and an interview with An Taoiseach.

TBH on Christmas Eve that will do me.

I'll get back to the detail later.

Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I was just trying to help you out by posting the info. about the extended Six One News.

I suppose that like myself you tuned into a news channel when the deal was announced and picked up most of what was relevant.

RTE added reports from Dublin, London and Brussels and an interview with An Taoiseach.

TBH on Christmas Eve that will do me.

I'll get back to the detail later.

Happy Christmas.

RTÉ started their news break on Monday, ditching the normal hour long six-one, very few companies shutdown on the 21dec.

Imagine if they had to run a 24 hour news channel... Oh wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

RTÉ says it's striving to improve Player amid complaints about 'frustrating' and 'ridiculous' service
    When asked about the issues raised by viewers, a spokesperson for RTÉ said the Player has a support team “that works 365 days a year and logs all feedback on the service”.

“These issues are then escalated to our technical teams,” they added.

The spokesperson also noted: “We constantly strive to improve the user experience both technically and by adding new content through live exclusives, box sets and longer catch-up rights from TV broadcast.”

tenor.gif

retalivity wrote: »

We are going to continue to buy in 25m or more worth of content that would be better spent on a robust player, oh and if you want a doriean garraighy totes funny experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Player is a joke, I've long since given up on it as its just not worth the frustration. Its like they put 90% of their resources into making sure the ads play well (and often) and forgot about the rest of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

The BBC didn't even bother putting the news out on BBC1 at the time it broke and they didn't even bother bringing back BBC News Channel presenters instead keeping with the BBC World News simulcast so no BBC News Channel presenters were asked to return

Nobody covered it as they would have last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

RTE is running on auto in the most important time ever for our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

RTE is running on auto in the most important time ever for our country.

Couldn't agree more, we're are all it's highly paid correspondents, we're are all the overly paid presenters, it's an annual disgraceful set of affairs. I get people entitled to holidays but this year takes the biscuit on abandonment given what is going on in the country. Of course it could be argued none of them actually necessary, the Team carrying RTE at the moment doing an admiral job at present.

As an aside, also worth pointing out the appalling Sh*** across their channels this year, woeful stuff especially that T**l Baz on the hunt for Fungi, mother of God just awful muck altogether.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They’re going all in on your man Baz thanks to the success he had on Sky with that show he did with his mother.....

He’s their flavour of the decade now and as such, will churn out show after show with him front and center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

They’re going all in on your man Baz thanks to the success he had on Sky with that show he did with his mother.....

He’s their flavour of the decade now and as such, will churn out show after show with him front and center.

Baz has had a million chances already ffs, remember breakfast radio with Baz and Lucy? Wanderlust was another and must be 15 years old if not 20. Plus countless other crap.

But he’s with Noel Kelly so he’ll be set for life. And he won’t let the nasty fraudsters take your money.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, we're are all it's highly paid correspondents, we're are all the overly paid presenters, it's an annual disgraceful set of affairs. I get people entitled to holidays but this year takes the biscuit on abandonment given what is going on in the country. Of course it could be argued none of them actually necessary, the Team carrying RTE at the moment doing an admiral job at present.

As an aside, also worth pointing out the appalling Sh*** across their channels this year, woeful stuff especially that T**l Baz on the hunt for Fungi, mother of God just awful muck altogether.

The hunt for Fungi !. Are you kidding ?
    BTW you're right,he is a tool

The hunt for Fungi !. Are you kidding ?
    BTW you're right,he is a tool

Not kidding, Baz sent to Dingle (he'd actually had never been there before) kind of said it all really. I see the morning Ireland crew also reduced the show to one hour, giving that even bigger T*** Leaky Leo a full 20 minutes to further patronise the nation.

• Advertisement

Just turned on the TV there and on RTÉ 1 we have a movie, followed by Fair City.

Over on RTÉ 2 we have Junior Masterchef......2014

It’s like they are goading us for some reason...

Just turned on the TV there and on RTÉ 1 we have a movie, followed by Fair City.

Gosh it's bad when tele shopping more interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nah, that’s just foreplay. My favourite was Mrs. Brown’s Boys Christmas Special - in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Nah, that’s just foreplay. My favourite was Mrs. Brown’s Boys Christmas Special - in August.

My favourite is people actually pay a licence fee!

Why arent they protesting like they were for water charges....

RTE presenters (Noel Kellys b*tches) all on over 100k thinking they can do f#ck all over the christmas....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

retalivity wrote: »

The RTE Player was launched on the 21st of April 2009 and has been complete dog sh1t since day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The RTE Player was launched on the 21st of April 2009 and has been complete dog sh1t since day one.

They even had an advert with that Jennifer McGuire witch to tell us all it was 'new and improved'...

It was more broken than ever before. Well done.

Turned on RTE 2 there-as they're showing the animated film, The Breadwinner. The one that was nominated for an Oscar for best animated feature (tho that doesnt' count for much-the Oscars never watch animated films).

It's in Irish, as Gaeilge....with no subtitles...

Why pay to even show it at all if one can't understand it?

Why is Morning Ireland reduced to one hour this week? And the rest of this week’s schedule is all over the place. Claire Byrne, Ryan Tubridy, Ray D’Arcy, all MIA. If we can do without them now, we can do without them for the rest of the year.

Noel Kelly must be some fierce negotiator, to get these breaks for his Talent.

Why is Morning Ireland reduced to one hour this week? And the rest of this week’s schedule is all over the place. Claire Byrne, Ryan Tubridy, Ray D’Arcy, all MIA. If we can do without them now, we can do without them for the rest of the year.

Talent ?

He has to know where there are many many bodies buried. That's the only explanation I can figure.

Hit the nail on the head...i listened to abit of marty morrisey this morning...he was filling in for tubridy....
    It was fairly sh1te but far less annoying than the DLB....

Alot cheaper too....just get rid of anyone in RTE over 200k...

• Advertisement

Talent ?

He has to know where there are many many bodies buried. That's the only explanation I can figure.

Some durrrty pictures of folks currently sitting in the Dail would be my only explanation.

Few politicians with white lines on the table, one or two of em with a leather fetish...

Only explanation, tbh.

Hit the nail on the head...i listened to abit of marty morrisey this morning...he was filling in for tubridy....
    It was fairly sh1te but far less annoying than the DLB....

Alot cheaper too....just get rid of anyone in RTE over 200k...

Lyric for me for the past get weeks. Radio one would want to make you top yourself

Im actually listening to RTE Gold on smart speaker.....

Theres no DJs whatsoever....its the only way radio should be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They've been putting Gold on radio 1 a few times over xmas as they did during the early lockdown. Bit heavy on the 80s cheesy stuff but anything is better than the usual doom and gloom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd rather step in dogshít than try to watch something on RTE player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

A harbinger of doom (aka RTE presenter) was trying to goad Leo Varadkar this morning on RTE to admit that there would be 3,000 Covid cases per day very soon in Ireland and we would have to shut down the schools again. They only let up on him when he said that we would probably be in this lockdown for the next 3 months. Even though it was on RTE radio, I could sense the evil rubbing of the hands by the presenter at this admission.

What in the holy fluck are RTE going to do when everyone's vaccinated in Ireland and Covid becomes a non-story later this year? They must be really worried that if they cannot focus the nation on Armageddon-type events, then the public may just start to focus on the purveyors of gloom (aka RTE) instead. At the moment, attention is not on them and their wasteful/inefficient/intolerable-service ways and the television license millionaires in Donnybrook, but soon that may change.

• Advertisement

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6335969/rte-dee-forbes-wage-bill-plummet/

RTE boss Dee Forbes has defended the massive wage bill at Montrose
    She said: “Audiences expect RTE to attract the best broadcasters, something which is also essential to allow RTE to generate commercial revenue which we are so reliant on.

"However, these fees are under constant review. As previously announced, we reduced the overall fees paid to our ten highest earning presenters by 15 per cent at the start of the year.”

“Market forces dictate how much certain people are paid which is why many sectors pay more than the Taoiseach.

“Nonetheless, I understand why people raise the question, and we do try to balance the commercial reality against that public concern.”

Any one expect these presenters and their wages?
    RTE will publish its top 10 earners for the past three years shortly
    The DG explained: “We have carried over the publication of details of our highest earners to early 2021 to allow us to prepare complete figures for 2017, 2018 and 2019, all of which will be published simultaneously.

“RTE gave a public commitment in 2008 to publish details of its 10 highest earners, which we have been doing since then.

“The Director-General’s earnings and expenses are also published in RTE’s annual report and staff salary bands are published on RTE.ie.”

So the top ten earners have had the publication of their wages published 2 years after the fact since at least 2003, if not 2005.

This is the 3rd occasion that RTÉ have not published those figures on time.

https://www.rte.ie/documents/about/top10payments_2004.pdf
    https://www.rte.ie/documents/about/2005highearnersonanearningsbasis.pdf
    https://www.rte.ie/documents/about/top_pay_2007_2008.pdf (2007 and 2008 publish in 2009)
    http://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/top-10-table-27-03-2013.pdf (2009, 2010 and 2011 published in 2013, I Think)
    https://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/final-rte-top-ten-highest-paid-press-release-table-dec-2015-final.pdf (2012, 2013 and 2014 in 2015)

Regardless her defense and reasoning is nuts (for want of a better word, but I can't be arsed).

Happy Christmas all.

Kivaro wrote: »
    A harbinger of doom (aka RTE presenter) was trying to goad Leo Varadkar this morning on RTE to admit that there would be 3,000 Covid cases per day very soon in Ireland and we would have to shut down the schools again. They only let up on him when he said that we would probably be in this lockdown for the next 3 months. Even though it was on RTE radio, I could sense the evil rubbing of the hands by the presenter at this admission.

What in the holy fluck are RTE going to do when everyone's vaccinated in Ireland and Covid becomes a non-story later this year? They must be really worried that if they cannot focus the nation on Armageddon-type events, then the public may just start to focus on the purveyors of gloom (aka RTE) instead. At the moment, attention is not on them and their wasteful/inefficient/intolerable-service ways and the television license millionaires in Donnybrook, but soon that may change.

Easy-they'll scare people again with 'not everyone got the vaccine' or 'the vaccine is only 'so-many-percentage' effective. Or Clare Byrne will come out with 'did you get a placebo instead of the vaccine?' 'What to do if you don't qualify to get the vaccine'.
    Or the humdinger-'HeShe was vaccinated-but he/she still got COVID!!!'

Well, yeah-a vaccine is a preventative. But even if you get the disease, you'll get a much milder form. Same as the flu. Or the mumps.

In fairness Vigin Media's attack today in the same paper is just as nuts.

Bill Malone formerly of RTÉ2 (a channel devoid of any content outside of sport, and largely destroyed on his watch) suggests that it was RTÉ's schedule that cause the fall of Red Rock, not the absolute muck that aired before the soap or the bad scheduling of the series by TV3 going on long breaks, turning it into 10 seasons of a 2 season show. No, the downfall was RTÉ's 10 weeks of Operation Transformation that got it. And in no way did the takeover of both TV3 and UTV Ireland by Virgin Media cause them to axe the show on the return of Coro St and Emmerdale.

I got to ask him what did he think would happen to TV3 when UTV Ireland started broadcasting. No insight what so ever.

I then tell him my thoughts, saying that it will be divided down the middle with TV3 getting 7% and UTV Ireland and UTV getting 7% (at the time TV3 had 10% and UTV proper had 4%). And because UTV Ireland had no sport and because TV3 had lost the soaps but had sport and weekend ITV that largely it would be divided between both.

He said it's to early to say. I said it was quite obvious. And it was TV3 retain 7%, UTV Ireland had 6% and UTV retained 1%. Virgin Media ONE now has 10 - 13% a month!

pinch of salt when reading.... News largely made up of former Ireland Live producers and it shows.... VM News is much better than TV3 News, and that's due to Ireland Live staffers. IMO.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/6339615/virgin-media-rte-boss-irish-tv-business/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Very pleasant news presenter on 6.1 this evening. She didn't look like a robot doomsayer like the rest of them. There is no way in hell that RTE would have her there permanently, as she is far too relatable and actually smiles (in a genuine manner).
    Eileen is her name or I'd say maybe Eibhlin since I've seen her on TG4 too.

On a side note, George Lee was waaaaaaay too gleeful presenting his "exponential" projections for the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Very pleasant news presenter on 6.1 this evening. She didn't look like a robot doomsayer like the rest of them. There is no way in hell that RTE would have her there permanently, as she is far too relatable and actually smiles (in a genuine manner).

On a side note, George Lee was waaaaaaay too gleeful presenting his "exponential" projections for the coming weeks.

X 1,000

• Advertisement

Eibhlín Ní Choistealbha, methinks.

And I agree with your sentiments, too. I worry she’s not in Noel Kelly’s talent stable :D

How can any of those RTE personalities be in any way objective when they are getting courtesy cars and cash endorsements from private business.
    If BMW or Audi are giving you a free new car on loan every year how will you report objectively on emission cheating...or exploitative employment practices by fashion retailers.
    Even The Late Late Show was sponsored by Renault at a time when their software was cheating emissions. Sky Broadband sponsor them now I believe.
    In other Countries this sponsorship of employees and shows would be prohibited or strictly controlled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have all the big name presenters got ALL of Xmas off?

They are all notable by their absence this last week.

Nice job if you can get it.

NIMAN wrote: »

You probably won’t see any of them until at least January 4th!!

The are a complete joke for a public service, the always had the excuse that Christmas was a quite time of the year, News wise.

This year the have being caught out with Brexit and Covid figures gone through the roof and shown up for what a joke of a so called public service the provide,

Lottie's always available... I'm sure she'd be happy to have ANYONE call her...

....she did 'win' Dancing with the Stars...

...despite being the last person anyone calls for a presenting role on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

It's some boys club alright or should I say girls club.
    It's the same at any holiday time the usual gang of lickar8es vanish.
    Then they wheel out the better and probably more qualified presenters but because they don't have the same connections they are only used to cover when the STARS are on holidays.

RTÉ 1 currently showing ‘The Francis Street Photographer’....

You know, just in case anyone missed it when they showed it yesterday.

#Christmas #Schedule

RTÉ 1 currently showing ‘The Francis Street Photographer’....

You know, just in case anyone missed it when they showed it yesterday.

#Christmas #Schedule

What did you think of it?

Well worth a watch if you missed it.

I think that and The Real Field which was also on RTE last night were two of the best documentaries that I have seen on any channel this year

I had a licence fee man calling to the door a few weeks ago because the house is a new build and he was looking for a name....

I said "no thanks" and closed the door....

Tubridy on 500k taking holidays like he is a teacher....(teachers deserve their break)

No chance i am contributing to that disgusting level of remuneration for someone so unbelivably undeserving of it....

Imagine getting Covid 19 and then proceeding to lecture the nation weekly on the importance of not getting it....

The neck of him...

• Advertisement
Advertisement