Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Bit baffeled by Saoirse's comments on The Late Late Show.....going on about not being anti Aer Lingus.

I didn't think anyone accused her of being anti Aer Lingus!

I was never anti Aer Lingus - until I flew to Atlanta and back on Delta and they absolutely stuffed me with grub. Very decent stuff too. Now I'm anti Aer Lingus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Good post, flaneur, but I would quibble about this part. It seems to me that our Hiberno-English set of phonics has been changing through my lifetime, and is we are less good at approximating Gaelic phonemes than we were in the past.

"SEER-shah" is a near-miss of the best pronunciation of the Gaelic word, because the effect of the "ao" has been jettisoned. It might be represented by "SaEER-shah"

Depends on where and who you're talking to. Phonetics change and also they're not entirely uniform across Ireland (by a long shot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

In any of the adverts for it, it is pronounced Sayr-view. You're pronouncing it wrong.

Well if an ad said it, it MUST be true! As we have learned from this thread, it can be pronounced two ways. Sayr seems more common in Dublin. It makes sense then that sayr will most likely be the pronunciation used in the ad. Another part of the country, it would most likely be seer. :cool:

I’ve been studiously avoiding both ads and RTÉ as much as possible for at least five or six years. I never saw ads for it. Therefore I pronounced it the way I was taught to pronounce saor in school. And I’m far from the only one. Anyone who ever taught me Irish would say seerview. But, sure, what would they know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Saorview is an odd kludge of a portmanteau anyway.

The one that I find causes issues abroad is Eir. Very few people will pronounce that "Air".

I've had people call or "Ear" and "Err"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Bit baffeled by Saoirse's comments on The Late Late Show.....going on about not being anti Aer Lingus.

I didn't think anyone accused her of being anti Aer Lingus!

I was never anti Aer Lingus - until I flew to Atlanta and back on Delta and they absolutely stuffed me with grub. Very decent stuff too. Now I'm anti Aer Lingus!
    I just think it wasn't something she'd given a lot of thought about, logically enough (what wit Oscar stuff etc)

Re Sketch: Could only watch it in fast fwd mode. Very weak and sloppy direction, hit n miss script. The dog thing is more England that Ireland. Couple of good concept elements (hinting double entendre then stating the obvious, but only ONCE, not twice, which they did. Writers on this one, nope, fail.)

Re Monologue. Meh. Overall, nothing of consequence bad wise.

But in terms of Irish exposure, pretty good. Great to see it, even if it was wobbly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Great little Ambassadress for Ireland. Highly regarded as an actress. Eff the begrudgers!

Advertisement