Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

sligeach wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust Ding to beat an egg. He's the perennial bottler.

It is all the more annoying when you see the effortless snooker he plays. He basically does all the hard stuff well positional stuff, shot selection, technique etc.

Concentration and fight are nowhere near the same level.

You'd feel like shaking him at times.

He is trying to prove me wrong by stealing this frame.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Class Bingham escape there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Great red from ding from a poor safety from Bingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thought double was the option there if he wanted to go for a pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Both players missing chances.

Agree with dom, very unlucky for ding to leave that. But Bingham snookers himself so still alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Yer man in the crowd shaking his head in absolute disgust at Bingham for snookering himself, gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Very enjoyable match this Ding v Bingham. Some great play under pressure from both. I can't be sure its live on the BBC, but assuming it is, strange choice to pot the blue by Ding when he needs 2 snookers in any event.

Great stuff, frame of tournament so far. Some great shots, some really bad ones. Not often you'll see a pro miss the pocket by a foot but bingham was able to see the funny side of it.

• Advertisement

Bingham misses the long red but the cue ball buries itself in the bunch. He’s had one or two nice bits of luck along the way.

Bingham misses the long red but the cue ball buries itself in the bunch. He’s had one or two nice bits of luck along the way.

Meanwhile, for Ding he pots a red and the white does the same thing, basically snookered on every colour to end a promising chance.

They do call him ballrun i suppose! Feels destined for a decider to me, but i dont fully trust either to nail their chances so who knows?

They do call him ballrun i suppose! Feels destined for a decider to me, but i dont fully trust either to nail their chances so who knows?

Will the decider be postponed til tonight? Seems harsh to make them wait to play one final frame.

Will the decider be postponed til tonight? Seems harsh to make them wait to play one final frame.

Yeah, will come back tonight if a decider. Can't start a new frame one hour before upcoming session.

Wd ding, held himself together well there i fairness. Decider tonight it is barring snookers.

• Advertisement

Yeah, will come back tonight if a decider. Can't start a new frame one hour before upcoming session.

And Bingham not one bit happy about it, asking JVH if there’s any wiggle room...

Mad that Ding/Bingham can't continue. Bingham looked annoyed/bemused.

Damn all difference in the match stats very tight.

Yes, it was interesting to compare the reactions. Ding happy enough I would say just to have a decider to play, Bingham keen to get it done and won. Horrible to have to sit out the evening alright, but its a call that has to be made to be fair to both of the evening matches and each of the audiences.

And Bingham not one bit happy about it, asking JVH if there’s any wiggle room...

Doubt there'd be any chance regardless but with all the restrictions and special arrangements to get the crowd in and out, there's absolutely no way they could let them play on as they'd be holding up two tables, not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Doubt there'd be any chance regardless but with all the restrictions and special arrangements to get the crowd in and out, there's absolutely no way they could let them play on as they'd be holding up two tables, not one.

Do they have to resume on the same table or is it whichever session finishes first?

• Advertisement

eric hoone wrote: »
    Do they have to resume on the same table or is it whichever session finishes first?

Whichever finishes first which will be table they finished on anyway as it happens!

It is like 'pot black' meets the World Championship now 1 frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

John Virgo just now on commentary: "I know people say it's not 6 inches anymore. I'm afraid it is in my world."

Is it just me or since they got the crowd back - all it takes is one person to clap at the 'wrong' time to be heard?

It wouldn't be a great shot or anything and all of a sudden you hear one person giving a little clap. And suddenly stopping with the embarrassment.

The pockets look extremely forgiving. Hawkins on BBC just now in the opening frame has played 2 shots that looked wide and yet somehow they dropped in.

That's an interesting point that Steve Davis made, about the people who bought tickets for the Ding v Bingham match this afternoon. They don't get to see the end of the match. It's not ideal for the players to be called off the table and come back now for the last frame.

The pockets look extremely forgiving. Hawkins on BBC just now in the opening frame has played 2 shots that looked wide and yet somehow they dropped in.

Someone said on here before it is the super fine cloths they have that make the difference.

That's an interesting point that Steve Davis made, about the people who bought tickets for the Ding v Bingham match this afternoon. They don't get to see the end of the match. It's not ideal for the players to be called off the table and come back now.

Jayus that is terrible I did not think of that. Davis also made the point that the crowds are even down on the permitted amounts because the Hotels are still closed.

Hawkins doing a real job on Selt 3-0 up. Could have lost all three frames.

That's some miss on the red by Bingham. You won't get an easier shot. He may have blown it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Shocking from Ding, that red just didn't go.

Another year, same old Ding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Disappointed for Ding

Ding won't sleep well tonight.... that black a few frames back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

delighted bingham got through...will really enjoy seeing him play more in this.

Rothko wrote: »
    Disappointed for Ding

Only himself to blame he had control and let it slip.

I am not saying he played badly both lads played well. But Ding had the upper hand and lost it with crucial misses at the wrong times.

Do feel for ding in that he got the draw all 16 seeds were hoping to avoid and he might have nicked it. With his class, i still feel he should be winning these matches, but do feel for him. Bingham took those well in the end, one big ballrun with the canon on the black.

Lucky Allen destroyed Lyu Haotian, or Ding and Bingham could have had a long wait to play that last frame.

• Advertisement

dougm1970 wrote: »
    delighted bingham got through...will really enjoy seeing him play more in this.

Big baldy determined head on him. He has got Jamie Jones next who he should beat on paper then the winner of Ronnie v McGill.

I was thinking to myself that Bingham's lax positional play (at times) actually helps his concentration. Sort of Ebdon like each pot becomes an 'event'.

Plus his mental strength seems very strong, he just stays in a long game.

Selt got one frame back. With a flukey last pink.

3-1

Am laughing here. They were doing one of those 'stats' things on mid-session interval on the players as usual. Was half listening/watching. It was based on Mark Allen - players comments on him etc.

Suddenly I started paying attention when I heard Ali Carter in his strong Essex accent:

'I don't fink Mark loikes me very much, and that's foine.
    I don't know him fhat well and I can't comment any further than fhat'

:D

A week ago i was talking up the chinese players, they were sweeping through qualifying and looking dangerous. But from having 12 left from the last 48 stage, they're down to a single one by the last 16. Fallen like skittles. Goes to show they're producing the numbers, but not yet the quality.

Been a good tournament for seeds so far. 11 matches completed and 9 safely through and you can add judd to make that 10. Cant see too many more surprises, though wouldnt shock me to see maflin give selby a scare.

A week ago i was talking up the chinese players, they were sweeping through qualifying and looking dangerous. But from having 12 left from the last 48 stage, they're down to a single one by the last 16. Fallen like skittles. Goes to show they're producing the numbers, but not yet the quality.

By sheer numbers they will get a Chinese breakthrough at some stage. It is sort of invenvitable.

• Advertisement

By sheer numbers they will get a Chinese breakthrough at some stage. It is sort of invenvitable.

Oh totally. Just the sheer numbers they're bringing through almost every year. For every aaron hill we've got, they've probably got a dozen just as good. It'll happen alright, just difficult to pin a precise date on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Only himself to blame he had control and let it slip.

I am not saying he played badly both lads played well. But Ding had the upper hand and lost it with crucial misses at the wrong times.

Yeah, I agree, but I was hoping that he'd get through.

Loads of talent but they can’t pot balls under pressure. The amount of easy balls missed is noticeable. People just think and function differently under pressure and with the exception of Bingtao I think it’s something they all struggle with.

Loads of talent but they can’t pot balls under pressure. The amount of easy balls missed is noticeable. People just think and function differently under pressure and with the exception of Bingtao I think it’s something they all struggle with.

I'd agree fully with that. I actually thought Lu Haoitian could give allen some trouble but deer in headlights pretty much sums up his performance. I'd guess there's nothing in china that would prepare these guys for the intensity you get at the crucible so they have to learn the hard way. And thats going to take time. Pretty sure yan will win a world title before ding ever does, but maybe not for a few years yet.

Am laughing here. They were doing one of those 'stats' things on mid-session interval on the players as usual. Was half listening/watching. It was based on Mark Allen - players comments on him etc.

Suddenly I started paying attention when I heard Ali Carter in his strong Essex accent:

'I don't fink Mark loikes me very much, and that's foine.
    I don't know him fhat well and I can't comment any further than fhat'

:D

I don’t think Mark Allen likes anybody very much, unless he can go on the lash with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement