Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,259 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gary Wilson can feel hard done by his pot success was 92% and long pots 78%

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Gary Wilson can feel hard done by his pot success was 92% and long pots 78%

Was a good match, lots saying how great dave gilbert played yesterday and he was 92% as well. Kyren was just that bit more ruthless in punishing mistakes i think, that was probably the difference. Decent performance from him.

Was a good match, lots saying how great dave gilbert played yesterday and he was 92% as well. Kyren was just that bit more ruthless in punishing mistakes i think, that was probably the difference. Decent performance from him.

Kyren seems to be able to up it at the right times. He tries really hard probably too hard at times, and emotion can get the better of him as we saw last year.

There is definitely a few world titles in him imo.

Kyren seems to be able to up it at the right times. He tries really hard probably too hard at times, and emotion can get the better of him as we saw last year.

There is definitely a few world titles in him imo.

There's no guarantees but he's definitely not a million miles away, for sure. I was watching an interview with him the other day and it did strike me how he was still apologising for that fluked green against mcgill 8 months on. Talking about that match like he lost it. Just reminded me how much he was already beaten before last years final and i still think he has to develop that ruthless streak before he can be a champion. Emotions definitely a big part of it, maybe he's too nice a fella sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Some players who are out and who will go out in this first round will feel hard done by, having played well. Particularly when they see John Higgins through having played rancid stuff. He says he feels "embarrassed", rightly so, he should. I was embarrassed watching it. Tian had him for the taking, then fell apart himself.

• Advertisement

Two big misses with the rest by lisowski in that frame. I'd wonder whether that isnt at least partly a consequence of playing so many shots right handed, you just never develop the necessary confidence if you're purposely avoiding having to use it. Not even as if he's any more reliable righthanded either.

Just cannot believe jack putting ali back in there, made no sense with a straightforward safety shot on. Deserves to lose the frame.

And now ali messes up, what a mistake. Nervy match this.

I see Barry Hearn retirement announced, eddie to take over as matchroom chairman. Wish him long and happy retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Lisowski - Carter looks like a 10-9 in some shape or form. Haven't had one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hard to see Barry retired but he's been talking like that for a while

• Advertisement

There's no guarantees but he's definitely not a million miles away, for sure. I was watching an interview with him the other day and it did strike me how he was still apologising for that fluked green against mcgill 8 months on. Talking about that match like he lost it. Just reminded me how much he was already beaten before last years final and i still think he has to develop that ruthless streak before he can be a champion. Emotions definitely a big part of it, maybe he's too nice a fella sometimes!
    And now ali messes up, what a mistake. Nervy match this.

I see Barry Hearn retirement announced, eddie to take over as matchroom chairman. Wish him long and happy retirement.

Kyren seems like a bit of a softie I suppose.

I couldn't imagine Barry Hearn 'Barry Earn' having that approach. I remember I heard it said of Hearn when he was taking appearance requests, for Steve Davis he would think of a figure and treble it!

It will be interesting to see if the prize money for 147's changes under a new chairman. Seems to be a gripe for the players, especially one in particular who is 'not boovered now mate'.
    You had to get the 20th in a season to get a 1m.

A max at this years World Championship only gets 40k. Over 20 years ago it was 147k plus the high break prize which pushed it to 150k/160k which was huge money back then and even now.

Kyren seems like a bit of a softie I suppose.

I couldn't imagine Barry Hearn 'Barry Earn' having that approach. I remember I heard it said of Hearn when he was taking appearance requests, for Steve Davis he would think of a figure and treble it!

It will be interesting to see if the prize money for 147's changes under a new chairman. Seems to be a gripe for the players, especially one in particular who is 'not boovered now mate'.
    You had to get the 20th in a season to get a 1m.

A max at this years World Championship only gets 40k. Over 20 years ago it was 147k plus the high break prize which pushed it to 150k/160k which was huge money back then and even now.

If eddie is new world snooker chairman, i'm not sure how much would change, maybe he'll be keen to put his own mark on things. There's loads of stuff I'd love to see being done differently, like the calendar and uk championship as well as prize money for those lower down for example, but i doubt any of those things will happen anytime soon. The 147 bonus isnt something that unduly bothers me tbh, they've become so common i don't know what the optimum figure should be anymore. 40k seems reasonable enough, but maybe not everyone is happy.

Edit: new chairman of WS is Steve Dawson, not Eddie, dont know much about him but being with hearn a long time.

Think carters going to want to blow up that right middle pocket after this match, left some amount of balls hanging on the edge this morning.

And another miss to the middle from carter....to the opposite side this time.

If eddie is new world snooker chairman, i'm not sure how much would change, maybe he'll be keen to put his own mark on things. There's loads of stuff I'd love to see being done differently, like the calendar and uk championship as well as prize money for those lower down for example, but i doubt any of those things will happen anytime soon. The 147 bonus isnt something that unduly bothers me tbh, they've become so common i don't know what the optimum figure should be anymore. 40k seems reasonable enough, but maybe not everyone is happy.

Edit: new chairman of WS is Steve Dawson, not Eddie, dont know much about him but being with hearn a long time.

I was thinking they should bring in a special prize for the same player getting three 147's in a row in the same match. It would make fellas go for it especially if they are getting well beaten in long matches.

Saw a stat there on Lisowski his long potting is only at 50%. Most of his other match stats are on a par with Carter though.

Some shot that lisowski. Can he finish it?

I'd say he definitely played that x double but jack should have snookered him on that shot, wasnt a difficult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

I'd say he definitely played that x double but jack should have snookered him on that shot, wasnt a difficult one.

and not a word from commentary when he did it.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    and not a word from commentary when he did it.

Dom did call it on eurosport anyway. Jack actually had 2 gos to get the snooker behind the pink but failed both times. Just not good enough really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Come on Jack

ooh...final frame drama....here we go

265-264 balls potted. Just underscores how even the match has been.

I wouldn't call this over yet by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I wouldn't call this over yet by a long way.

It is now.

Fair play to him for getting it done, the type of match he often struggles to win. Have to admit i didnt fancy him for it much personally. Got to give him some confidence going forward.

if mark allen keeps up this level he'll be very hard beat.

Fair play to him for getting it done, the type of match he often struggles to win. Have to admit i didnt fancy him for it much personally. Got to give him some confidence going forward.

Well the big Lisowski shut me up. I thought he was going to crumble as usual. Has he finally found 'bottle' as John Parrott loves to call it?

Well the big Lisowski shut me up. I thought he was going to crumble as usual. Has he finally found 'bottle' as John Parrott loves to call it?

Definitely showed some bottle those last 2 frames. Overall though, it wasnt a great quality affair. That level wouldnt live with Robertson, but then again he'll be big underdog for that match so that might help him settle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

dougm1970 wrote: »
    if mark allen keeps up this level he'll be very hard beat.

That's the thing about Allen, when he gets firing he can build breaks as well as anyone in the game.

His patience will have to be tested at some point this week but he's a good shout for any competition he plays in if he's potting the way he has today.

Advertisement