Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Once a day could be an option going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Once a day could be an option going forward

Cell count is the problem there. Got the bright idea to only milk once a day after calving for the few busy weeks in spring this year, just couldn't control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Rather milk 15 less cows than calve cows in autumn I believe ....would u milk 15/20 or more l les cows than your currently milking in spring milk is what I’m getting at ,like most I’m sure u have financial commitments to meet and expanded based on bern able to milk that number ....milking less cows ,selling less milk might not be viable for lots .no issue supplying more milk at shoulders and there’s winter schemes and early /late bonuses for it in a lot of coops it’s an avenue that’ll have to be explored for many

Milk 15 less and supply what we're allowed with a mature herd would be my preferred option

Calving cows in the autumn is a PIA if you've no labour, been there, got the t-shirt. Its just work work work, no let up

But saying that not happy at all, we pushed hard here - as did many others , to make room for another wage while paying a hefty land loan and all the extra expense of developing a farm from scratch to what was required for what we're at now

This all comes about now just as we're just about to get good return from all we've spent, we had reckoned we'd supply a good bit more with same cows through maturity/better genetics and culling some poor performers

Very peed off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Milk 15 less and supply what we're allowed with a mature herd would be my preferred option

Calving cows in the autumn is a PIA if you've no labour, been there, got the t-shirt. Its just work work work, no let up

But saying that not happy at all, we pushed hard here - as did many others , to make room for another wage while paying a hefty land loan and all the extra expense of developing a farm from scratch to what was required for what we're at now

This all comes about now just as we're just about to get good return from all we've spent, we had reckoned we'd supply a good bit more with same cows through maturity/better genetics and culling some poor performers

Very peed off

Fully understand and empathise with u on that ,I’d be beyond pissed off ....solutions at farm level will have to be found tho because I can see this an taisce issue going on for a long time yet .

Fully understand and empathise with u on that ,I’d be beyond pissed off ....solutions at farm level will have to be found tho because I can see this an taisce issue going on for a long time yet .

Yep they're out to prove a point now despite them saying the opposite

If its here to stay calving year round is only way to get around it, but that comes at a cost too, that system works in UK and elsewhere because cows are milkier and stale cows respond to feeding indoors
    Where as our herd her has been bred for solids not yield for a long time, different kettle of fish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Very peed off

Why couldn't you just calve a bunch of what would be surplus cows for a 4 week period from the middle of June to early July, can't wrap my head around what money has been pumped into parlours and sheds by lads who now are point blank refusing to do the above cause god forbid they won't get the 6 weeks of at winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'll offer odds of 2/1 that the judgement stands.
    There's all these 54 or whatever objections but they're really just to waste time.

Yep they're out to prove a point now despite them saying the opposite

If its here to stay calving year round is only way to get around it, but that comes at a cost too, that system works in UK and elsewhere because cows are milkier and stale cows respond to feeding indoors
    Where as our herd her has been bred for solids not yield for a long time, different kettle of fish

Winter milk scheme that rewards solids ...coops will now have to put there money where there mouth is .....Glanbia have said there’s no restriction on milk outside of April to June ...if it came to it I’d just leave the bull with the cows April may calvers will milk well into back end and start calving from 10 January ...not ideal but it is what it is

There's all these 54 or whatever objections but they're really just to waste time.

Even if it dose I think I read somewhere that the court case won’t be heard till late spring early summer 22

If they are able and prepared to appeal it to Europe all bets are off, if they exhaust all Irish courts which is one more roll of the dice in the supreme Court is that it, our can they drag it out for years by going to the European Court of justice

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm don't think your right there, the retirement form we got said it would pay us 75k over 5yrs. And don't for one second let anyone think Glanbia are paying that, it comes out of an extra levy on continuing suppliers.

Max payment per annum 15k for 5yrs which is 75,000 and yes glanbia are not paying for it we are

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Even if it dose I think I read somewhere that the court case won’t be heard till late spring early summer 22

2024. Is the best I can come up with and that's if they could start building now.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Why couldn't you just calve a bunch of what would be surplus cows for a 4 week period from the middle of June to early July, can't wrap my head around what money has been pumped into parlours and sheds by lads who now are point blank refusing to do the above cause god forbid they won't get the 6 weeks of at winter

Not refusing Jay but you need a break too, my parents sacrificed my youth working every hour given to get themselves somewhere I don't want to make the same sacrifice with my own kids if I can help it just for a few extra cows

We're dry for 4 weeks here and it's great go just get the break despite the heavy workload in the spring

I still wouldn't be at scale enough to employ full time labour and its hard got even if you can justify some one

It's easy say just calve and milk on but it's the bigger picture, and I have the benefit of being there and witnessing it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

jaymla627 wrote: »
    If they are able and prepared to appeal it to Europe all bets are off, if they exhaust all Irish courts which is one more roll of the dice in the supreme Court is that it, our can they drag it out for years by going to the European Court of justice

The high court have to give them leave to appeal, if they don't that's it. May take time for that to happen tho.

Climate action thing is open to submissions till may 18. More of a survey type format but no harm filling it out. Prob no harm getting on to the local TD either asking of they'll be fighting our corner

• Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    The high court have to give them leave to appeal, if they don't that's it. May take time for that to happen tho.

Meanwhile glanbia continue to take on new entrants....

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Meanwhile glanbia continue to take on new entrants....

It's ridiculous at this stage, there's a new entrant being taken on next year and they are only building a parlour now. Why should suppliers who supplied for decades and farmed with quotas now have to reduce the cow numbers they have this year back to last year's level, just to facilitate that happening.

Even if an taisce appeal failed and they gave up last year best case scenario was probably plant operational 2024. The board had to have seen this problem coming a long time ago. New entrants should have been stopped long ago.

I'd make no apology for protecting long time suppliers, sure it was us that paid for and put the stainless steel in place and struggled through quotas trying to buy some to expand a little. It was our coop and we should have been put first.

It's ridiculous at this stage, there's a new entrant being taken on next year and they are only building a parlour now. Why should suppliers who supplied for decades and farmed with quotas now have to reduce the cow numbers they have this year back to last year's level, just to facilitate that happening.

Even if an taisce appeal failed and they gave up last year best case scenario was probably plant operational 2024. The board had to have seen this problem coming a long time ago. New entrants should have been stopped long ago.

I'd make no apology for protecting long time suppliers, sure it was us that paid for and put the stainless steel in place and struggled through quotas trying to buy some to expand a little. It was our coop and we should have been put first.

The long term suppliers surrendered any control they had with the share spinouts and theirs big lads in the sh**t now at the time that championed the spinouts and subsequent lose of majority control that kept the plc somewhat on the leash, was called out as a crank on here when I warned at the time what was going to take place with the loss of board influence with the spinouts

The long term suppliers surrendered any control they had with the share spinouts and theirs big lads in the sh**t now at the time that championed the spinouts and subsequent lose of majority control that kept the plc somewhat on the leash, was called out as a crank on here when I warned at the time what was going to take place with the loss of board influence with the spinouts

I was talking to a lad yesterday who told me he only paid off the last of his superlevy bill last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

on a more positive note, a great weekend of growth, badly needed here in the west, still giving silage to the cows, but they weren't pushed about it this morning, motoring away at 27-28l mark, improving again, took a dip to around 25 a week ago with bad frost and 2 very bad night rain. Down to 13 cows to inseminate, great year for breeding, very few repeats and really strong heats.

Yes growth is great and cows are responding here in the East too
    Some wetter farms could do with a dryer spell now though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Fcuking milking machine went on the fritz this morning. Fair play to my electrician, I called him at 5.45 and he was in my yard at 6.10. Machine going at 6.30. Some service to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Grueller wrote: »
    Fcuking milking machine went on the fritz this morning. Fair play to my electrician, I called him at 5.45 and he was in my yard at 6.10. Machine going at 6.30. Some service to be fair.

What was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

whelan2 wrote: »
    What was wrong?

Vacuum pump motor capacitor goosed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Those of ye on once away ai,what kind a conception ye normally get.just over 50% here and would like it better

K.G. wrote: »
    Those of ye on once away ai,what kind a conception ye normally get.just over 50% here and would like it better

Must go thru last years figures to find out. 50 to 55 for cows I suppose. Have you noted the time heat came on, night or evening and which cows held or not in relation to the oad ai? DIY here but from talking to a couple of tech's at the busy times they'd be hard pushed to make the same farm twice a day. If I had better drafting facilities I'd prob go back to twice a day and go after milking,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The High Court has given An Taisce two weeks to justify their appeal.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/high-court-gives-an-taisce-two-weeks-to-justify-belview-appeal-622474

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Must go thru last years figures to find out. 50 to 55 for cows I suppose. Have you noted the time heat came on, night or evening and which cows held or not in relation to the oad ai? DIY here but from talking to a couple of tech's at the busy times they'd be hard pushed to make the same farm twice a day. If I had better drafting facilities I'd prob go back to twice a day and go after milking,

Tech lands late in the evening(9 to 11) and does everything seen that day.i thought you should be getting 60% conception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

Once a day here. 80% conception rate at the end of week 6 usually. But a couple of them wouldn't make it to week 12 after for example. Just do 3 weeks Ai and release the bull here

Advertisement