Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think Dr. Holohan has totally dropped the ball here, glibly announcing that Irish people should not leave the country and should cancel any holidays already booked, without thinking through the massive implications of this for Irish tourism, aviation and assorted sectors of the economy, not to mention the ordinary consumer.

He's speaking about this as if it is a minor sector of the economy such as nail varnishing or landscape gardening. It's no wonder his comments have caused total confusion in the travel and airline industry.

It's not his job to think about the economy. The clue is in his title. He's a doctor. Everything he says is based on medicine.

I can't believe the number of people who can't get it into their thick skulls that a medical professional will give medical advice.

The government, on the other hand, can choose to accept, reject or modify his advice. The previous government conveniently hid behind medical advice when it suited them. They were also forced to act at times when the weight of evidence was presented to them.

In summary, *Doctor* Holohan is doing his job and decisions on travel need to be made by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

faceman wrote: »
    Tbf it’s not their job to be thinking of economic implications. But you’re right, direct and indirect economic implications are huge and it’s not just tourism.

I agree the economic aspect is not his concern, but it seems he made the announcement last night without scarcely even thinking through the consequences of what he was saying. Travel and tourism is worth billions to the economy.....he spoke about it as if he was commenting on the opening of nail bars or pizza parlours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dr Holohan is dead right to advise against non essential travel. He is the expert, he sees all the reports and stats.

We are happy to take his opinion over politicians or god save us, randomers on boards.

We? Speak for yourself. The same guy that was twice asked to resign over his behaviour during the cervical smear scandal. I can of place where his opinion would best be placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭RoryMac

faceman wrote: »
    Tbf it’s not their job to be thinking of economic implications. But you’re right, direct and indirect economic implications are huge and it’s not just tourism.

Unless I'm missing something it looks like Holohan took down his tweets from yesterday warning people not to travel abroad, he had a few tweets on it yesterday but appear to be gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

We? Speak for yourself. The same guy that was twice asked to resign over his behaviour during the cervical smear scandal. I can of place where his opinion would best be placed.

People seem to angry they don’t get their week away in costa Del whatever.

I would ask those ppl to sit down tonight and watch the RTÉ documentary on covid 19 in the hospitals.

I promise you, it will give you all some perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's not his job to think about the economy. The clue is in his title. He's a doctor. Everything he says is based on medicine.

I can't believe the number of people who can't get it into their thick skulls that a medical professional will give medical advice.

The government, on the other hand, can choose to accept, reject or modify his advice. The previous government conveniently hid behind medical advice when it suited them. They were also forced to act at times when the weight of evidence was presented to them.

In summary, *Doctor* Holohan is doing his job and decisions on travel need to be made by the government.

Steady on with the rhetoric there : this is a civilised discussion.

People seem to angry they don’t get their week away in costa Del whatever.

I would ask those ppl to sit down tonight and watch the RTÉ documentary on covid 19 in the hospitals.

I promise you, it will give you all some perspective.

I see by your reply you are going to behave on this thread in the same manner as you do on others. I won't be indulging you further.

I see by your reply you are going to behave on this thread in the same manner as you do on others. I won't be indulging you further.

Please plumb, PLEASE, watch that show tonight.

I promise you, it will give you perspective and it’ll make issues such as “will I get over to Santa pintza” completely irelevant. Trust me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Department of foreign affairs released a statement this afternoon that it is still looking and working on a road map for the resumption of international travel.
    The department declined to comment on Dr Holohans comments on the matter.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Department of foreign affairs released a statement this afternoon that it is still looking and working on a road map for the resumption of international travel.

So on issues of whether to travel in a pandemic you would trust the chancers in ivy house over ya know, the actual chief medical officer....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

True, I find it amazing how some are willing to acquiesce the feelings and opinions of an unelected senior HSE official, they must have very very short memories of the past 10 years of his reign... Cervical smear test scandal, the results of 2nd smear tests not appearing due to an "I.T Glitch", the hospital trolley scandal and every other HSE mess up which all in all has caused death and misery for many thousands of Irish people and their families..
    In any other country with an advanced healthcare system and strong democracy someone like Holohan would have been fired or jailed, but like the bankers who caused the collapse of the Irish economy of which we are all still paying for, and are now walking free.

Only in Ireland!

ZX7R wrote: »

I suspect the Dr is being advised that there is a government in place that is no longer willing or able to hide behind him. Decisions outside of a medical consideration have to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I suspect the Dr is being advised that there is a government in place that is no longer willing or able to hide behind him. Decisions outside of a medical consideration have to be made.

Just unreal, is it lack of leadership, democracy, or just the Irish way of running things?

This pretty much sums up the sort of things the Irish people have had to live with.. and die with over the past 10 years:
    Communication failures surrounding CervicalCheck and other scandals illustrate how poorly information flows throughout the health system.

More than a week after Vicky Phelan brought the cervical cancer issue to public attention, a grossly inefficient HSE is still unable to provide definitive numbers, and in some cases, the names of women, caught up in the fiasco.

Much of the loss of public trust which has now come to a head is generated by the repeated failures by Department of Health and the HSE to get the basics of health service provision right. There’s little point in aspirational quality initiatives around “placing the patient at the centre of care” if the reality doesn’t become part of everyday practice.

There is a strong sense that the events of the last week have breached a line in the sand as far as the public is concerned. And so they should.

We are spending €15 billion a year on a health system that is disjointed and unbalanced.

The HSE is a failed entity. And it’s high time that civil servants in the Department of Health fronted up and got their hands dirty in response to our serious national health crisis.

Please plumb, PLEASE, watch that show tonight.

I promise you, it will give you perspective and it’ll make issues such as “will I get over to Santa pintza” completely irelevant. Trust me on this.

I'll watch it. But I am still going abroad this summer. I am not going to a busy resort and also work from home so the 14 days when I get back isn't a problem. I'll not be stupid in where I go, and what I do, but I'm not going to give up the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That documentary last night about St. James hospital and the Covid ward was something else.

Now others can choose to dismiss it, but have a heart FGS if you can. Second part tonight.

It is not all about holidays or pubs but I know the rebels will do it anyway. It is worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Dante7 wrote: »
    What NPHET are doing here is setting up the ordinary punter to be the fall guy and take the blame for their lack of foresight. International travel is opening up and there are no appropriate procedures in place to deal with it. Their only solution is to cry, "don't travel, stay at home". And when the inevitable cases do arrive, it won't be the families returning from Spain and Greece that bring the cases, it will be the arrivals from Brazil, South Asia, Middle East and Africa who are still only faced with the same wishy washy 14 day self isolation advisory as the family coming from safe zones. If they were serious about reducing the risk from travel they would implement a strict ban from areas that are currently badly hit. They can **** off if they think they are going to guilt trip me into not travelling due to their lack of planning.

I wonder about it tbh and don't tend to blame NPHET myself. Afair NPHET have been commenting about travel all through this (getting louder now) and it took an age to get even the honour system 14 day thing in place and nothing else was set up really during the "lock-down" period.
    You'd think govt. would have been trying to implement stronger policies & systems to have ready for when opening started again.

I think there may be political opposition to any such policies, fear of what other countries "will think of us" and how they might react etc. (esp. US/UK given they'd be on the blacklist and people coming from there might end up being blocked/quarantined while others from EU countries are allowed in!).

Travel and air transport may be very important but there is no way employment & profits are going back to normal any time soon regardless of what Covid-19 theatre the airlines put on and they probably need to accept that.

Might be possible for them to salvage something if we open up fully to all (including I think 2 biggest markets US/UK) but that will likely spark off another large disease outbreak here and sink the rest of the economy (which is considerably larger and far more important than travel industry).
    That's on top of the unnecessary deaths of course...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    True, I find it amazing how some are willing to acquiesce the feelings and opinions of an unelected senior HSE official, they must have very very short memories of the past 10 years of his reign... Cervical smear test scandal, the results of 2nd smear tests not appearing due to an "I.T Glitch", the hospital trolley scandal and every other HSE mess up which all in all has caused death and misery for many thousands of Irish people and their families..
    In any other country with an advanced healthcare system and strong democracy someone like Holohan would have been fired or jailed, but like the bankers who caused the collapse of the Irish economy of which we are all still paying for, and are now walking free.

Only in Ireland!

Is your alter ego that Ginger and Lemon poster? Sorry now but take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Booked the weekend of 17th July there, smell ya later Buzzkill Holohan

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Not traveling abroad. Yes I will drive around Ireland a bit. I wont stay overnight anywhere public as I would be afraid of passing on the virus, I don't care about my own health that much as i am not elderly and am in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Anyone know the bed in period before a test can find it. If someone landed on a plane, went straight away and got a test to see if tey picked it up on the plane, will that work?

I know they say 4-5 days to show symptoms but will the test pick up the virus before that?

Also, anyone had an antibody test? Seem liffymedical do them for 75 euro...do they work well? I don't mind the 75 euro jus to find out if i had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So on issues of whether to travel in a pandemic you would trust the chancers in ivy house over ya know, the actual chief medical officer....?

All factors have to be taken into account.
    Medical, economic and political.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Anyone know the bed in period before a test can find it. If someone landed on a plane, went straight away and got a test to see if tey picked it up on the plane, will that work?

I know they say 4-5 days to show symptoms but will the test pick up the virus before that?

Also, anyone had an antibody test? Seem liffymedical do them for 75 euro...do they work well? I don't mind the 75 euro jus to find out if i had it.

This, honestly cannot understand why testing at the airports isn’t a thing! Regardless of how you feel about those travelling it would be a massive help imo.

bladespin wrote: »
    This, honestly cannot understand why testing at the airports isn’t a thing! Regardless of how you feel about those travelling it would be a massive help imo.

I've people coming from London end of July. Happy to drive them straight from the Airport for a test to see if they got it on the plane but will that be too fast.

Will it show after just a few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I've people coming from London end of July. Happy to drive them straight from the Airport for a test to see if they got it on the plane but will that be too fast.

Will it show after just a few hours?

No idea tbh but it would be a great catch for those already carrying, would at least reduce active mobile cases.

I’d be happy to have it done. Have some very outstanding work in the UK and wouldn’t say no to a hol either. Hopefully someone could answer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For anyone travelling, are you concerned or do you care that you won't have valid travel insurance (serious question)?

For anyone travelling, are you concerned or do you care that you won't have valid travel insurance (serious question)?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Nope. Travel insurance covers very little anyways once excess comes into play. Ehic card will suffice.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Nope. Travel insurance covers very little anyways once excess comes into play. Ehic card will suffice.

Unless your whole holiday is cancelled and covered. That will depend on the travel advisory. Covid might not be covered either.

And EHIC is great for EU members thankfully, but heaven forbid it will not cover repatriation of a deceased person either. Think about it.

It is not always just about a broken leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I've a long weekend away in the south of France booked since January to a place I've been going to every year for the past decade. It's for the end of August. I expect the situation on travel will be much clearer by then but I do expect to travel unless there is a flare up here or in France., which I think should be the general advice going forward in this new normal. I believe this is the purpose of skybridges.

The main issue I have with Dr. Holohan's opinion and our government's delay in issuing clear guidance is that it is contrary to the overall EU approach of opening internal borders. If the EU still recommended closed borders, I would understand Dr. Holohan's recent comments. But I'm sure the EU hasn't made that decision lightly. I'd also wager that as CMO he has access to the same research and expert advice that the EU used to help make the decision to reopen borders.

Also, he said 2020 is the year for staycation. But there is no guarantee a vaccine will be found in 2021 or 2022. If that is the case, does he expect international travel to/from Ireland to remain at 1% of normal levels for years while our European neighbours continue to fly around the continent.

Travel isn't just so people can lie in the sun for a week. There are so many people with family and friends around Europe, not to mention the millions that depend on tourism for their livelihood.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    No idea tbh but it would be a great catch for those already carrying, would at least reduce active mobile cases.

I’d be happy to have it done. Have some very outstanding work in the UK and wouldn’t say no to a hol either. Hopefully someone could answer.

This seems a very logical and critical question and one I am amazed I have been unable to find an answer too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement