Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Shamrock Rovers lining up a game in Paris in a few weeks, Dundalk are playing in Scotland on Friday night and then England next week

Id say they have been given assurances they can travel

The players were getting tested regularly but that's stopped now

I’m not so sure. The new government isn’t in long enough for them to be coordinating assurances. And given the noise from the travel industry there doesn’t appear to be meetings happening behind closed doors yet

There’s no way the U.K. will be on a recommended list for some time

Although I suspect France will be one of the first countries to get the proverbial green light

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

faceman wrote: »
    I’m not so sure. The new government isn’t in long enough for them to be coordinating assurances. And given the noise from the travel industry there doesn’t appear to be meetings happening behind closed doors yet

There’s no way the U.K. will be on a recommended list for some time

Although I suspect France will be one of the first countries to get the proverbial green light

I can jump on the boat to England in a few hours if I fancy it and come back this evening the same way. They could also be travelling from Belfast, ive no idea I just know they have a game in Edinburgh on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dublin Airport reported to be much busier this morning, not at normal levels but a very steady flow of passengers in the airport.

2 friends of mine flew out this morning through T1 and said the queue at security was 10-15 mins and wasn't as busy as it would have been before March but still more than they expected to be there. But overall very steady flow of people arriving into the airport this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Shamrock Rovers lining up a game in Paris in a few weeks, Dundalk are playing in Scotland on Friday night and then England next week

Id say they have been given assurances they can travel

The players were getting tested regularly but that's stopped now

Also an EU summit in Brussels in a couple of weeks...that's probably enough to sink the quarantine hotel idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Dr Holohan's advice seems to be tainted by (relevant or irrelevant) criticism of Cervical screening problems in the past and/or that he doesn't or shouldn't have the authority to go on a solo run.

My view on Dr Holohan is he is giving his genuine medical opinion but I do think the lines of communication are wrong. To use that terrible phrase "advisors advise, ministers decide", I think Dr Holohan should be communicating his advice to Govt who take it on board, weigh it up against all other economic, social and political matters that are relevant and then announce policy in one clear and co-ordinated voice, that is why we elect them.

Pre social media this is exactly how things worked but now the volume of opinions is just leading to confusion. At times like this strong clearly communicated leadership is needed and right now it's missing.

Does anyone know a HSE frontline worker who is planning to travel overseas with their family this summer?

For me this is a far better way to assess whether we should be going or not. If the people on the front line who see the consequences of Covid 19 and put their own lives at risk dealing with it are prepared to travel with their families I would use their informed judgment as a proxy for making my own decision.

I've asked a few family members (nurses and ambulance crew) and none of them would consider international travel at this time.

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of Dr Holohan's advice I'm personally going to take my cue from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭boetstark

Guys in fairness , the only people travelling on foreign holidays are the ones that just do not give a crap about others health. Selfish.
    This bull about I'm losing thousands in I don't travel. We had booked and paid aer lingus on July 24th gran canara. Offered a voucher or different dates free of charge. As it turns out flight was cancelled this morning.
    Travelling abroad we are putting ourselves in the firing line of some of worst countries in Europe for c19. And possibility of bringing it back here then. Whats so difficult to understand.
    Nobody is immune from this virus . I love my cold beer and sunshine as much as anyone but the health of my family and friends comes first. Not that complicated really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

heading to spain on 14th July, parents have an apaprtment over there (theyre in Dublin now).

will be taking precautions, masks etc. but i would rather sit in an apartment in spain for ten days with the family than sit here, again, with the kids and wife for the 10 days, ive done ****ing 13 weeks with them at home, i deserve a break! the annual leave has to be used also, ****ed if im spending it here.
    ill work from home for 2 weeks when i return to be safe.

boetstark wrote: »
    Guys in fairness , the only people travelling on foreign holidays are the ones that just do not give a crap about others health. Selfish.
    This bull about I'm losing thousands in I don't travel. We had booked and paid aer lingus on July 24th gran canara. Offered a voucher or different dates free of charge. As it turns out flight was cancelled this morning.
    Travelling abroad we are putting ourselves in the firing line of some of worst countries in Europe for c19. And possibility of bringing it back here then. Whats so difficult to understand.
    Nobody is immune from this virus . I love my cold beer and sunshine as much as anyone but the health of my family and friends comes first. Not that complicated really.

I have as much chance of contacting it in Portugal than I do have here. Portugals alot safer as face masks are mandotary, social distancing is observed and the police are everywhere ensuring rules are adhered too, the opposite to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I have as much chance of contacting it in Portugal than I do have here. Portugals alot safer as face masks are mandotary, social distancing is observed and the police are everywhere ensuring rules are adhered too, the opposite to Ireland

Portugal has over 13,000 active cases of Covid compared to less than 400 in Ireland.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Portugal has over 13,000 active cases of Covid compared to less than 400 in Ireland.

In the Algarve it does not have 13,000 active cases. It's why everywhere in Algarve is back open

Portugal has 6th highest tests done per 100,000 in the world.

If Ireland had the testing and tracing set up (like we were promised months ago) we would have alot more cases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

copeyhagen wrote: »
    heading to spain on 14th July, parents have an apaprtment over there (theyre in Dublin now).

will be taking precautions, masks etc. but i would rather sit in an apartment in spain for ten days with the family than sit here, again, with the kids and wife for the 10 days, ive done ****ing 13 weeks with them at home, i deserve a break! the annual leave has to be used also, ****ed if im spending it here.
    Personally I wouldn't be justifying myself to anyone here. Enjoy your holiday, ignore the critics. The virus is going nowhere life needs to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

In the Algarve it does not have 13,000 active cases. It's why everywhere in Algarve is back open

The Algarve region is around 500 currently - not far off our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Personally I wouldn't be justifying myself to anyone here. Enjoy your holiday, ignore the critics. The virus is going nowhere life needs to move on.

my thoughts exactly on the moving on, living with it.

chances are there wont be a vaccinne enxt summer, are people still going to be living in bubbles then.

the thread is 'will you travel' so just giving my 0.2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Professor jack Lambert of medicine at the mater hospital.
    On an interview rte morning Ireland he believes looking at the current evidence.
    He believes it is safe for people to holiday provided take and use appropriate precautions in place , masks hygiene ECT.

Dr jack said although there is no end to covid-19 at present ,there is an end point for the economy and for people in lockdown.
    He said we need practical solutions and not off the cuff calls for baning all flights.
    I'm not suggesting open up all border restrictions but place proper protocols in place.
    Asked would he go on a foreign holiday,his reply was yes if a travel bridge was to a country that has the same infection rate as us as the chances of catching covid-19 would be no greater than catching it here.
    But I would not be or recommend travel to America or similar places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Or the ones capable of logical thinking and independent thought.

I’ll correct your post:
    The only people travelling on foreign holidays and not quarantining on their return are the ones that just do not give a crap about others health.

Me and many others have been clear that we will self isolate upon return. I WFH and have a garden, so no problems with that at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Quite frankly if I was Ryanair right now I would consider closing the Dublin hub. And if I was IAG, I would let Aer Lingus go. Ryanair would serve Dublin minimally from other hubs for the moment (and perhaps look to reopen again) and IAG would have no wish to resurrect it. This is not hyperbole.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ZX7R wrote: »
    On an interview rte morning Ireland he believes looking at the current evidence.
    He believes it is safe for people to holiday provided take and use appropriate precautions in place , masks hygiene ECT.

Dr jack said although there is no end to covid-19 at present ,there is an end point for the economy and for people in lockdown.
    He said we need practical solutions and not off the cuff calls for baning all flights.
    I'm not suggesting open up all border restrictions but place proper protocols in place.
    Asked would he go on a foreign holiday,his reply was yes if a travel bridge was to a country that has the same infection rate as us as the chances of catching covid-19 would be no greater than catching it here.

Simon Harris is spitting bricks about that interview;

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1278221198976077824

EDIT: Actually it turns out he may be spitting bricks about a slightly earlier interview with a rep from Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭RoryMac

copeyhagen wrote: »

Similar to yourself I'm going to my parents house in Spain in mid August, I have access to a car there so no need for public transport. I don't see a big risk in going there, we'll wear masks outside and shopping, beaches sectioned off woth staff ensuring social distance is being observed. Very few active cases in the area and we won't have much contact with others apart from airport and flight.

I'm looking forward to a few days in the sun, I've worked through since March and have had a few nights in hotels around Ireland in the last few weeks with work and tbh the idea of poor weather leaving me spending my time off in a cramped overpriced hotel room here doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

And yesterday morning, Dr Gabriel Scally said he would be happy with direct flights to destinations that have similar or lower levels of Covid 19 to Ireland, seems sensible to me anyway

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »

Indeed. The former Minister for Health and the current Minister for educating our Future intellectual emigrants

And yesterday morning, Dr Gabriel Scally said he would be happy with direct flights to destinations that have similar or lower levels of Covid 19 to Ireland, seems sensible to me anyway

Scally has been misquoted by the media previously that he was 100% in favour of quarantining the country - that is his ideal scenario but he as enough cop on to see the writing in the wall and look for the next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm off to Spain to stay with my folks on Saturday, and probably to work from home there for a while. I may not come back till September, will see how things pan out. I don't really see a problem if I'm wearing a mask and I quarantine when I get home, which wont be a problem. And I live alone.
    The snobbishness towards Spanish holiday destinations here is ridiculous by the way! Not all of us want to go wine tasting in the Duoro Valley! Although I did do that 2 years ago...

Portugal has 6th highest tests done per 100,000 in the world.

If Ireland had the testing and tracing set up (like we were promised months ago) we would have alot more cases

The tests per capita are quite similar, Ireland has tested 90k per million and Portugal has tested 115k per million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

To those who agree with Dr. Holohan, how do you reconcile the fact that his advice about keeping international travel to the bare minimum is not congruent with the rest of the EU which have mostly reopened borders.

From https://reopen.europa.eu/en
    The European Union, and all of its member states, are planning for a safe re-opening of Europe. While protecting the public health remains our priority, we want everyone to enjoy their holidays, to reunite with family and friends, and to be able to travel for any purpose. This interactive tool provides you with the information that you need to confidently plan your European travel and holidays, while staying healthy and safe.

I would be much more hesitant about travel within Europe if the rest of the EU was saying the same as Dr. Holohan but that doesn't seem to be the case.

To those who agree with Dr. Holohan, how do you reconcile the fact that his advice about keeping international travel to the bare minimum is not congruent with the rest of the EU which have mostly reopened borders.

From https://reopen.europa.eu/en

I would be much more hesitant about travel within Europe if the rest of the EU was saying the same as Dr. Holohan but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I imagine a lot of it has to do with the fact that you have to get on a plane to travel to another EU country from Ireland, which isn't the case anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

spockety wrote: »

EDIT: Actually it turns out he may be spitting bricks about a slightly earlier interview with a rep from Ryanair.

Simon Harris should be more clear who he was shouting at....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

snotboogie wrote: »
    I imagine a lot of it has to do with the fact that you have to get on a plane to travel to another EU country from Ireland, which isn't the case anywhere else.

What about ferries?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think that what we've been seeing in recent days from Dr Holohan, now Dr Lambert and also Dr Scally's chopping and changing reflects the uncertainty that has arisen with the new government.
    The new Taoiseach and Minister for Health may believe that there are better candidates for the CMO role and this might have been a factor in Dr Holohan's decision to instruct the citizens of the country directly.

Apart from any role in the Cervical Screening Scandal, Dr Holohan has also incorrect initially with the advice that masks were only useful for frontline HSE workers.
    He may have been influenced by the shortage of PPE at the time, but it was bad advice.
    One only has to read back over the initial pages of the Masks thread to see how many people bought into the "Tony says..." story blindly and completely.
    Any reasonable counter arguments posted about established mast best practices from countries with more experience than ours were disregarded.

Peer review is critical in the medical world and we should treat the CMOs advice about travel similarly by comparing his recommendations with those from other countries with a similarly Covid 19 profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'll fly back into Ireland in a couple of weeks. I live in France and have travelled a lot these last few weeks, including twice to Italy. In both of these countries the disease is very much under control and life is mostly back to normal. It's time Ireland stops cowering under the duvet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement