Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

robwen wrote: »
    What does he mean they would flip it?

Flip it in Dublin means go mad, not change the opponent. As in, the UFC would be pissed if he revealed the opponent, probably because they're trying to keep it quiet as leverage in negotiations. If Conor said who he's fighting, the UFC lose leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

To stop conor having the same power he used to have.

He's their heel now, not the golden boy.

Cobblers ...if he starts fighting again they'll bend over any which way, he elevated the sport up there with basketball/football in states and on a wider world level

like it or loathe it the UFC or mma has gone back to where it was before him, an undercard sport

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Cobblers ...if he starts fighting again they'll bend over any which way, he elevated the sport up there with basketball/football in states and on a wider world level

like it or loathe it the UFC or mma has gone back to where it was before him, an undercard sport

I'm not so sure. IMO the pub incident was probably one incident too far for a lot of fans, it's hard to see him commanding anywhere near the same amount of hype or rabid support the next time around. Could be wrong obviously, but from the UFC's point of view it's all about the draw of fans to their events, and it remains to be seen whether the draw will still be there after everything that's happened to sully his reputation.

Let's wait and see what the buildup to the next fight is like. I'll still watch it but I can't imagine it attracting the same kind of intense media frenzy they have in the past. Whether that means the UFC will no longer consider him their jewel in the crown remains to be seen. At the end of the day, someone could be the best fighter and put on the most entertaining bouts in the world, but if people aren't buying PPVs because of other factors, all the UFC will see is a former cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s good to see Conor back drinking the finest of Ethiopian coffee. The Proper 12 whiskey can wait until the post fight press conference.
    I think this is a new and improved Conor we have witnessed in Moscow. Roll on 2020 and the glory it will bring.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm not so sure. IMO the pub incident was probably one incident too far for a lot of fans, it's hard to see him commanding anywhere near the same amount of hype or rabid support the next time around. Could be wrong obviously, but from the UFC's point of view it's all about the draw of fans to their events, and it remains to be seen whether the draw will still be there after everything that's happened to sully his reputation.

Let's wait and see what the buildup to the next fight is like. I'll still watch it but I can't imagine it attracting the same kind of intense media frenzy they have in the past. Whether that means the UFC will no longer consider him their jewel in the crown remains to be seen. At the end of the day, someone could be the best fighter and put on the most entertaining bouts in the world, but if people aren't buying PPVs because of other factors, all the UFC will see is a former cash cow.

I don't think his popularity and ability to draw numbers will be affected too much. If he fights in the next 6 months, I'd say his PPV buys will still be well above any one else in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I don't think his popularity and ability to draw numbers will be affected too much. If he fights in the next 6 months, I'd say his PPV buys will still be well above any one else in the UFC.

I’d say his popularity is near zero. People will tune in though, the question isn’t whether they want him to lose, it’s what they want to happen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He'll still pull big numbers as people will either want to see if he's still good and watch the comeback, or want to see him get a beating.
    Either way, they'll be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,556 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BDI wrote:
    I’d say his popularity is near zero.
    You are clueless based on thus statement. He is the biggest star in the history of MMA. He has millions of fans, he has other sports star copying his strut after scoring/winning in their sport.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are clueless based on thus statement. He is the biggest star in the history of MMA. He has millions of fans, he has other sports star copying his strut after scoring/winning in their sport.

Is this the only forum you read?

he has other sports star copying his strut after scoring/winning in their sport.

You mean the one he copied from Vince McMahon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

BDI wrote: »
    Saying Conor has near zero support is a ridiculous statement. Where are you getting your numbers. What are you basing this off.

Saying Conor has near zero support is a ridiculous statement. Where are you getting your numbers. What are you basing this off.

I don’t think I can say here

Tazzimus wrote:
    You mean the one he copied from Vince McMahon?
    It doesn't matter, it's his strut now according to almost everybody.

It doesn't matter, it's his strut now according to almost everybody.

Of course it matters, he copied it, just like the others copy him doing it. He even called it the Billy strut..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He is still hugely popular worldwide, just far less so in Ireland.

Mike Tyson, a convicted rapist, is still hugely popular, and pretty much never lost his popularity at all.

Biting Holyfield's ear off only increased his popularity.

BDI wrote:
    I'd love to know why you ask?
    How many mma stars got to fight a boxing match and get paid $85 million for it. What mma fighter is more famous than Conor McGregor? Have you heard of proper 12 whiskey and if so then how? Just so you know, his whiskey sold out a six month allocation for the US in 10 days. If he wasn't a hugely popular figure that would never happen. There was a huge growth in sales of Irish whiskey in the US and at the same time a slow down in growth of the biggest seller Jameson.

Tazzimus wrote:
    Of course it matters, he copied it, just like the others copy him doing it. He even called it the Billy strut..
    Yes but others are copying him not Vince McMahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yes but others are copying him not Vince McMahon.

Greg from love island invented that walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Video of a bottle being chucked at him at presser earlier today, in response to his comments on Dagestan yesterday (in short, saying they're cowardly).

Daft stuff to be spouting on about, dafter still for someone to be reactionary. But one thing is apparent to everyone at this stage: the Dagestani people take that kind of sh1t extremely seriously. Wouldn't be surprised if this grows legs...

He had a tweet up about his whereabouts yesterday that was subsequently taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

BDI wrote: »
    I’d say his popularity is near zero. People will tune in though, the question isn’t whether they want him to lose, it’s what they want to happen to him.

PPV buys don't count fans or non fans......it's the numbers that count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Haha. I think you are underestimating what Conor is capable of doing. In this game nobody is unbeatable not even Khabib.

No, everyone gets beaten at some time.

McGregor just doesn't seem to have the same fire as before.

He is on the verge of pushing Jameson off the top Irish Whiskey position in America, a billion of whiskey sold already this year.

Think his mind is elsewhere.

He is on the way to being a billionaire.

Hard to leave silk sheets at 4am to go running on the rain as one famous boxer said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Video of a bottle being chucked at him at presser earlier today, in response to his comments on Dagestan yesterday (in short, saying they're cowardly).

Where's the video

Edit, just seen it now
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10167712791882037&id=11971032036

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Non MMA talk (whiskey etc) in the off topic forum

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Don't know why he is fighting at all tbh. Has it made and its highly unlikely he can beat the best in the game anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Danzy wrote: »
    No, everyone gets beaten at some time.

McGregor just doesn't seem to have the same fire as before.

He is on the verge of pushing Jameson off the top Irish Whiskey position in America, a billion of whiskey sold already this year.

Think his mind is elsewhere.

He is on the way to being a billionaire.

Hard to leave silk sheets at 4am to go running on the rain as one famous boxer said.

Well that’s not remotely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Kinda weird that certain Conor talk isn’t allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

kippy wrote: »
    Don't know why he is fighting at all tbh. Has it made and its highly unlikely he can beat the best in the game anymore.

I doubt he will be fighting anytime soon, but by saying he will he gets the media machine of MMA, from the UFC to podcasters, licking up to him and the for the attention and money he brings, and this is a good distraction from other stories which have been popping up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

George Bush level reactions that ....

https://twitter.com/ConOfCombat/status/1187834267088424963

kippy wrote:
    How on earth do you know it's highly unlikely he can beat the best.
    I have my own opinion on who I'd fancy would beat him but the man has won titles at two weights, he hasn't had many tough fights so his body should be in good shape.
    For all the not nice stuff he does he has never been one to make up excuses for a loss. It looked pretty evident to me that he was injured going into the Khabib fight but he has never mentioned it to the best of my knowledge.
    Anyways its a wait and see time, he seems to want to come back..He has had a nice break and as we've seen recently, with Nate and the California kid, a break can be very good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

McGregor is bigger than MMA that is a fact. He's the most watched fight, the most money made, biggest gate, most ppv sold , most google searches, first double champ fighter ect Hes the biggest story this week an he has 2 fights in 3 years

Not even a fanboy anymore (I was circa 2015).

Advertisement