Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Out of Africa.

A movie that everyone expects you to have seen and hear about so much you feel you've seen it when you haven't. No idea why I waited so long but it was truly a stunning movie. The cinematography, score and set's created some of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen in a movie

Perfect for a Sunday afternoon with a bit of a hangover, if you haven't seen it. do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Ondine" (2009) Last night on RTE as part of its 'Ireland on Screen' season. A movie with Colin Farrell, the delectable Alicja Bachleda and superb West Cork scenery - what more could you ask for? A fisherman hauls up a mermaid in his net....
    and the movie has a happy ending!

MV5BMTg0NDAxNjA4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODc1MjAyMw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Crimson Tide

Tense, mutiny scenario on board a modern day nuclear sub. Gene Hackman & Denzel Washington. Seen it a few times but really like it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Ted.:D

Thought it was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011 US Version): Great movie, I haven't seen the Swedish original but I loved this version. Looking forward to the 2nd and 3rd movies.

The Expendables 2: This was over the top, ridiculous, and cheesy.....and it was the most entertaining movie I've seen in ages. Much better than the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

EnterNow wrote: »
    Crimson Tide

Tense, mutiny scenario on board a modern day nuclear sub. Gene Hackman & Denzel Washington. Seen it a few times but really like it

love that movie,its cool to see a film with both the main characters are protagonist and antagonist at the same time,and both are wrong while being right in their decisions. Quentin Tarantino had a hand in polishing the script, hence all the pop culture references and the Silver Surfer argument :pac: Hans Zimmers score is excellent as well.

krudler wrote: »
    love that movie,its cool to see a film with both the main characters are protagonist and antagonist at the same time,and both are wrong while being right in their decisions. Quentin Tarantino had a hand in polishing the script, hence all the pop culture references and the Silver Surfer argument :pac: Hans Zimmers score is excellent as well.

Spot on. Never knew that about Tarantino either. Really great film. Another mutiny film for tonight methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

krudler wrote: »

i always assumed when watching that film that he was responsible for the conversation about horses, kind of fits the bill with the whole racial undertones thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The Expendables 2: This was over the top, ridiculous, and cheesy.....and it was the most entertaining movie I've seen in ages. Much better than the first.

Was Chuck Norris awesome in it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Deja vu-Flawed film I thought,actually is their a thread for it here,I searched but nothing cropped up,interesting to read ppl's views

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Erper wrote: »
    Drive is not good movie...
    For the most of the movie i fell asleep...

The only good movie that ryan has been good was the one with the guy from 40y old virgin

If you fell asleep during Drive then how do you know if it was a good film or not? If you think that Crazy, Stupid Love is the only good Ryan Gosling film then you haven't seen all of Ryan Gosling's films.

I hope you don't feel like I'm attacking you, it's just that I felt like being pedantic and there's nobody at home for me to be pedantic to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

indough wrote: »
    i always assumed when watching that film that he was responsible for the conversation about horses, kind of fits the bill with the whole racial undertones thing

I love that part, and Hackman's little joke at the end harking back to that argument, must give it a watch again sometime soon, great supporting cast too, James Gandolfini, Viggo Mortensen, and a young Steve Zahn and Ryan Phillipe in there. Hackman is on top form in it, sucks that he retired from making films, he's always a great scenery chewing villain.

The Bounty

Has been on my rewatch list for literally years, & got around to it last night. Anthony Hopkins & a very young Mel Gibson play the roles of Captain Blithe & Fletcher Christian respectivel, on the ships ill-fated {mutiny} journey to Tahiti to bring breadfruit plants to Jamaica.

I thought Hopkins was excellent in it, & was two hours thoroughly well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Cold Weather

A very low budget, mumblecore, detecive mystery that's utterly charming, and has a realy low key hilarity to it.

It's light hearted and noirish all at the same tiime. Might feel like a slog to some as it takes it's time despite only being just over 90 mins

Surprisingly brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More people need to watch Cold Weather (even if some will hate it). So good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jackpot - After enjoying Headhunters earlier this week said I'd check this out while it was still knocking around in cinemas. Bad idea. Very poor film - the flaws of Headhunters fatally exaggerated and with a far weaker central narrative about four Norwegian lads winning the lotto (murder follows). The plot is way too contrived, and while there's a few unusual twists, largely overfamiliar. Not funny enough to work as black comedy, not thrilling enough to be particularly suspenseful. Perfunctory directions helps little, especially after cruelly teasing with a relatively stylish opening segment. The characters and settings are schlocky, seedy and unlikeable - much like the film itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Britannic" (2000) Last night on TV. Poor espionage TV drama set in 1916 aboard a sister ship of the Titanic. Low budget special effects and the shots of the actual ship should have been left on the cutting room floor. Even the periscope of a stalking German submarine looked like it was a school project. Implausible plot, poor cast and worse script. At least I didn't waste any of my life watching it as I was online at the same time. 1/10 - avoid!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr49rDY1F_GPpikI5-VIAinVl96kvsyTgm5G9unTqTgJ8bLWY28A&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Watched Zombieland. Much better than I expected. 8/10. As close as you can get to 'feelgood' zombie flick.

Irreversible. Camerwork was a big turn off for me. Clever but I genuinely felt dizzy. Brutal but boring for me.

Red tails.
    Terrible acting ruined a good story but at least you get to see
    262's in action

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Moment to remember

Woo sung jung is a hell of an actor. film reminded me a lot of rainbow song. same kind of a blend of happiness and sadness plus I'll never be able to watch it during the day time or I'll just spend the rest of the day in a depressed funk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Love Exposure on Johnny Ultimate's recommendation.

Still trying to take it all in. Utterly mad.

Hilarious, depressing, moving, violent and just about any other adjective you want to throw at it.

Watch it. Whether you enjoy it or not this mammoth film is a rare experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jackpot - After enjoying Headhunters earlier this week said I'd check this out while it was still knocking around in cinemas. Bad idea. Very poor film - the flaws of Headhunters fatally exaggerated and with a far weaker central narrative about four Norwegian lads winning the lotto (murder follows). The plot is way too contrived, and while there's a few unusual twists, largely overfamiliar. Not funny enough to work as black comedy, not thrilling enough to be particularly suspenseful. Perfunctory directions helps little, especially after cruelly teasing with a relatively stylish opening segment. The characters and settings are schlocky, seedy and unlikeable - much like the film itself.
    I was going back and forth about whether to go see this today. But I think I'll give it a miss now.
    A Moment to remember

Woo sung jung is a hell of an actor. film reminded me a lot of rainbow song. same kind of a blend of happiness and sadness plus I'll never be able to watch it during the day time or I'll just spend the rest of the day in a depressed funk.
    Woo is great, but did you not find the film excessively schmaltzy to the point of being unwatchable?

Hilarious, depressing, moving, violent and just about any other adjective you want to throw at it.

Watched Love Exposure for the second time on Blu-ray the other day. Amazing film from start to finish. The time flies! And the last 30-40 minutes is pretty powerful. If you liked it make sure you check out Sono's other films, which thankfully aren't as long. He's quickly become one of my favourite directors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Woo is great, but did you not find the film excessively schmaltzy to the point of being unwatchable?

I know what you mean but I actually loved that about it

if a film grabs me early on I just get into the vibe and it has to do something pretty spectacular for me to fault it. maybe if i'd been in a different mood last night I'd have been turned off by how 'perfect' their love was but at the time it just worked and I went along for the ride.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Bourne Legacy:Watched it last night and thought it was very meh. It felt like after 60mins the writers ran completely out of steam and bluffed their way through the rest of the movie.

Did nothing to expand the Bourne Universe. They should have left it alone with the Matt Damon trilogy of Bourne Films. 4/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

the samaritan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1867093/

sam jackson and irish actress ruth negga.its not bad its worth a watch, but it has been done before.
    fair play to ruth negga shes gonna be big.she was very good in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

livinsane wrote: »
    Just watched Paddy Considine's offering Tyrannosaur. Really really good film. Some seriously gritty scenes, had to hold back the tears for one or two. Just a perfect character driven piece with a fabulous cast.

olivia colman is just incredible in that movie.both of the leads are.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Silent Bob & Jay Get Old (2012) - I like Kevin Smith and his "Evening With's.." but this London centric 75 minute-talk was not good at all. While I appreciate Jason Mewes as the character of Jay, he's NOT a particularly witty guy. Little movie talk and just 2 - 3 boring stories revolving around Jay and his drug addiction. Not good.. don't bother!

The Woman (2011) - I quite liked this actually. The alternative soundtrack has divided people over IMDb.. and while it was strange, I do think it kind of worked. Lucky McKee has a certain flair as a director IMO.. although after this and 'The Girl Next Door', can't help but think Jack Ketchum's writing definitely is very much geared against woman.

The Avengers (2012) - One of the best popcorn movies of the year (yep, even ahead of 'The Dark Knight Rises') and it stands up very well to a rewatch. Whedon's writing and direction is superb - and it's refreshing to see an action scene with a shi*eload of lens flare (take note JJ!). Not a weak link in that cast and can't wait for more!

Cabin In The Woods (2012) - another one that ranks highly in my movies of the year. A balls-to-the-wall inventive and refreshing horror movie. We've probably all seen the "it re-invents the horror genre" - it does, and yet now that it's done.. it's not an idea that can be tweaked or re-used. Fantastic idea with some damn fine writing from Whedon and Goddard!

My work here is done *disappears in puff of smoke* :pac: Glad you enjoyed / appreciated it - 'tis some piece of work.
    I was going back and forth about whether to go see this today. But I think I'll give it a miss now.

Some reviewers were positive about it - but watching it in close proximity to Headhunters really showed up its flaws in everything from pacing to script. Thought it was an interesting case study in how two quite similar films in a lot of ways can vary wildly in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Jurassic Park

Got this on Blu-ray a few days ago and said I'd give it a whirl....haven't seen it in years and looked forward to seeing it again. Holds up very well for the most part..one or two iffy CGI shots but the action\adventure element is top class.

The kids are more annoying than I remember them (I was their age when it came out first so I thought they were cool) but a great showing by the rest of the cast.

The transfer to Blu-ray was overall good but some scenes were very very grainy and probably could've been done better. It does have however a **** load of extras which I'll dip in and out of

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

I brought my girlfriend to see Jurassic Park when it was re-released in the cinema. She hadn't seen it and I hadn't seen it in quite a while. It was a busy screening and was as good as the first time I saw it. Easy to forget just how good a popcorn movies it is with the substandard copies/sequels. Ditto JAWS, which I saw when it was re-released too. Just great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Carve Her Name With Pride'

Second World Drama about Violette Szabo, who joined the SOE, after her Husband was killed in El Alamein.

Based on a true story, 'Carve Her Name With Pride' is a classic old British war film, that's done the rounds on many a Sunday afternoon for years. Starring the pretty Virginia McKenna in the lead role, the story follows many of the conventions that British films of the 50's exhibited, but it still remains a very entertaining look at the subject. It also benefits from the input of Odette Hallowes, a former SOE agent, who was the subject of a film about her own operations during the war, 'Odette'.

There's obviously some fictionalised elements here and there, but it doesn't take from the film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement