Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

The Dark Knight Rises
    Really enjoyed this movie, it built to a great end and pulled in threads from the previous two movies. The role really suits Bale, Anne Hathaway was quite good as Catwoman. Not a lot of Batman in the film, there was a lot of people to fit in and was probably difficult to give the all air time. it will be interesting where the franchise goes from here.

Spiderman 3D
    This was much better than I expected. The 3D worked very well in places. Good story, not sure if I believed Garfield and Stone as high school students. Set up nicely for a follow up.

Ek Tha Tiger
    Bollywood come to Dublin. I found this be a very uneven movie, good in parts other places it dragged. The opening scence was a big action sequence set in Iraq and it was like it was straight out of the (good) Bourne movies. I enjoyed the Dublin scences, the luas section was very good. I found the non action scences and the love story a bit creaky. Salman Khan got a round of applause when he appeared for the first time.

The Impostor
    Read the review of this and did not believe it could actually be a true story. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction. An absorbing documentary, highly recommend it.

Total Recall
    Went to this with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Not a patch on the Arnie version but enjoyable none the less. The action sequences were pretty impressive, the story less so.

The Last of the Mohicans
    Was inspired to watch this as I am currently enjoying Madeline Stowes turn as Victoria Grayson in Revenge. I had forgot how great this movie was. The story, the acting, the scenery, the brilliant music. A great blast from the past.

The Bourne Legacy
    Dissapointing. Really enjoyed the Matt Damon version but this had nothing that made the previous three such great movies IMO. I think it was nearly hour before we had the first fight scence. Even the final motorbike chase didn't really engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Menemto

i cant believe i didnt see this till now. i thought it was brilliant. Guy Pearce is awesome in it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Cold Weather

A young man comes back to his small rainy Portland OR town after dropping out of a college forensics course, hangs out with his sister, makes friends at the ice factory and takes it upon himself to investigate the sudden, strange disappearance of an old flame.

This film, I think, was mis-marketed as a thriller which it really isn't. It's mainly a low key indie dramedy with a relatively small portion of the film dedicated to the 'thriller' aspect. Watch it if you like matter-of-fact, slice of life indies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Blind Side

Saw it when it came out, few years later decided to watch again

Liked it a lot

It's not memorable but it's a enjoyable film, thumbs up

On a waaaaay offtopic note when this was released it was in the USA in October and didn't hit Europe until February. Any wonder people pirate films?? I wanted to pay to see it and could not.
    Stupid executives.
    Sorry, off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭8mv

Not a movie, but just finished watching the final episode of Life On Mars with the kids. If only all drama series ended as well as this one does. Not every episode is a classic, but over the two seasons we end up caring very much about the main characters and the finale didn't dissapoint. Intelligent and moving. We shall miss Sam Tyler.

This was on DVD obviously, we have a lot of catching up to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Give 'Ashes To Ashes' a shot... not as good 'Life On Mars' but the final season of it is superb!

Watched Dark Shadows (2012) - and it just wasn't anything new from Burton. It just felt like an amalgamation of a few of his other movies. It was dark (as to be expected) but quite dull and humourless.

It's worth a shot if there's nothing else on, but don't expect too much from it.

Burton just continues to disappoint me.. I enjoyed 2007's "Sweeney Todd" but not much else in recent years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mikemac1 wrote: »
    On a waaaaay offtopic note when this was released it was in the USA in October and didn't hit Europe until February. Any wonder people pirate films?? I wanted to pay to see it and could not.
    Stupid executives.
    Sorry, off topic

I think in this case it was actually semi-understandable though. The film was never really intended to appeal to a mass international audience given its subject matter (American football) and ideologies (Christian conservative). The fact that it became a massive sleeper hit (and amongst a very specific American demographic) was somewhat unexpected, and the buzz it attracted overseas was a further unforseen side effect. For the studio to organise an international release, along with marketing and distribution campaigns that attempted to cash in on the reception in the States, was not something that could be done overnight. Not to mention the Christmas period is quite a risky period to release a non-blockbuster.

I'm usually less forgiving of delayed releases, but with The Blind Side I can somewhat understand the gap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Singin' in the Rain - pretty much Hollywood's peak :P Terrific fun - energetic, vibrant and all in all a pretty thrilling celebration of cinema. The three leads give it everything, and it's their charisma and enthusiasm that really helps define this as timeless. As far as Hollywood excess goes, this might just be the most joyfully excessive of 'em all.

Oh, and the music is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

@8MV, , I just finished Life on Mars on Wednesday night too. I loved it. I'd heard the ending was good before and had managed to avoid it thank God. Apparently Ashes to Ashes is equally good. It has a better ending but is slower to start. All on Netflix too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭8mv

jack_edson wrote: »
    @8MV, , I just finished Life on Mars on Wednesday night too. I loved it. I'd heard the ending was good before and had managed to avoid it thank God. Apparently Ashes to Ashes is equally good. It has a better ending but is slower to start. All on Netflix too :-)
    Strangely enough, Jack I've seen the last season of Ashes to Ashes! It's what made me go back to LOM. Didn't spoil my enjoyment of Life on Mars at all. I'm going to begin watching Ashes from the start next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Moon: This is a fantastic tight thriller. It's set in the future on a manned space station on the Moon, with a great twist that you don't see coming. Also the acting by Sam Rockwell is outstanding. Recommend it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Remember the Titans

Disney film, good but not great
    Worth watching though

Lots of young talent, many of the actors went on to better things

The linebacker went on to Sons of Anarchy.
    The defensive end became Avon Barksdale in the Wire
    The black doctor from Scrubs was in this
    I forget the name of the little girl but she has been in lots of films

Denzil Washington did a good job, sort of role he's done many times before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

The Five Year Engagement

Jason Segel and Emily Blunt (mmmmmmmmmmmm Emily Blunt)

Film centre on Segel and Blunt getting engaged and the problems they have trying to get married. Something happens every time (hence the 5 year engagement ;) )

Started off well, with some good laughs. Felt it slowed in the middle and went on for about 40 minutes too long.

Fairly meh to be honest.

4/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Blade:Trinity (2004, Detective/Thriller) RTE 2 tonight for about 30 seconds until I found the remote. What a pile of crap, who on earth watches this utter bilge? And then good old RTE 1 then put on "The Outlaw Josey Wales" at 23.55 - great scheduling. :rolleyes:

From http://entertainment.ie/tv/tonight.asp The fearless warrior's blood-sucking foes frame him for murder, forcing him to go on the run from the FBI while his enemies resurrect the first and most powerful of their kind - Dracula himself. Joining forces with a team of human vampire slayers, Blade embarks on a quest to wipe out the undead menace once and for all. Action thriller sequel, with Wesley Snipes, Jessica Biel, Ryan Reynolds, Parker Posey, Kris Kristofferson and Dominic Purcell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lollers wrote: »
    Moon: This is a fantastic tight thriller. It's set in the future on a manned space station on the Moon, with a great twist that you don't see coming. Also the acting by Sam Rockwell is outstanding. Recommend it to anyone.

That's an excellent film. Great solid story and it's hard to go wrong with Sam Rockwell. He's a fine, fine actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Blade:Trinity (2004, Detective/Thriller) RTE 2 tonight for about 30 seconds until I found the remote. What a pile of crap, who on earth watches this utter bilge? And then good old RTE 1 then put on "The Outlaw Josey Wales" at 23.55 - great scheduling. :rolleyes:

From http://entertainment.ie/tv/tonight.asp The fearless warrior's blood-sucking foes frame him for murder, forcing him to go on the run from the FBI while his enemies resurrect the first and most powerful of their kind - Dracula himself. Joining forces with a team of human vampire slayers, Blade embarks on a quest to wipe out the undead menace once and for all. Action thriller sequel, with Wesley Snipes, Jessica Biel, Ryan Reynolds, Parker Posey, Kris Kristofferson and Dominic Purcell.

Blade Trinity is absolutely terrible, pity because Blade 2 is superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

got a bad rating on imdb, buy watched it anyway, pleasantly surprised, enjoyable film with colm meany and ray winstone, some funny scenes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

snow white and the huntsman - its not bad, id give it 3/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Dennis: It's a Danish short(18 mins), it was kind of an awkward movie(story), but I have to say I enjoyed every minute of it, fed up with the typical Hollywood BS and their predictable, tired story lines.

Then I watched the full featured film based on Dennis, Teddy Bear, enjoyed it a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ninja Assassin - Does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Depending on the mood could range from crap to genius.
    Suited my mood on the night and I kinda loved it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Labyrinth'

Muppet maestro Jim Henson and faeries expert Brian Froud collaborated on this more family friendly effort, after the success of their last project, 'The Dark Crystal' was marred a little by some reviewers complaining about its tone. Semi scripted by Terry Jones, although with many revisions by others, 'Labyrinth' is the story of a young teenage girl Sarah (Jennifer Connolly) who, kind of, invites goblins to take her baby brother Toby (Toby Froud) as she is frustrated with having to babysit him. Immediately regretting her decision, she must then travel through a labyrinth in order to get to the lair of Jareth, the Goblin King (David Bowie) and try to get her brother back.

Right off the bat, the inclusion of Bowie, seems at first and turns out to be, a very bad idea. Laden with his insipid 80's pop, his presence and music wears the whole film down terribly and ages it horribly. It would have been fine if Bowie had simply been cast in a speaking role only, despite the fact the his instantly recognisable face and voice brings the viewer out of the fantasy completely. But, the musical numbers are so wretched that they mute everything else about the picture.

Trying to combat Bowie's music though, are excellent sets and fantastic creature designs, with 1st prize going to Hoggle, an expertly created dwarf puppet that is very believable standing next to Jennifer Connolly, who is one of only five human characters and has the lion's share of the screen time. Other goblins and faeries, straight out of Froud's head are rendered beautifully and the charming puppetry (muppetry?) is a joy to watch.

'Labyrinth' is way too long though, even at 100 minutes, and it runs out of umph badly towards the end. 10 minutes and the musical numbers could have been cut and it would have improved the film immensely.

As an aside, Brian Froud and Alan Lee's 'Faeries' is an excellent book with some great artwork.

Faeries.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

Dredd - Gritty, violent, sci-fi actioner from the comic book. Very good IMHO. Sticks closer to the comics than the "other" one and is much better for it. Deserves a sequel

Premium Rush - Silly fun. Solid enough and nice performances from JGL and especially from Michael Shannon who chews up the scenery. Ending is a little Jarring though

Looper - Brilliant. Highly recommend it to everyone. The less you know the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

Dredd – Okay I’ve already went into a bit of detail on the thread for this movie. I loved it and think it’s a gem of a film.

The Wicker Man (2006) – So I was in the mood for a bit of rage Cage and viewed this as a comic batshit movie with a bare resemblance to the original. It’s actually quite slow for the first and second act (with some absurd fuckin things going on) until the third act where it’s like Nic Cage’s character ate a bag of cocaine and then he felt the urge to scream at kids and roundhouse some bitches. I actually thought the director might throw a curveball and
    have Cage escape from the Wickerman, but no, he just let him burn!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Shadow Dancer

I saw it last night and was a bit surprised there wasn't a thread on here about it. It's well made (even if you can pick out that it's made in Dublin and not Belfast, if you've not been to the two cities you wouldn't notice though), well acted, and the story line is interesting.

It's about a woman who is recruited by MI5 to be an informer on the IRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Secret of Boyne Castle" (1969) - a Walt Disney Production - need I say more! That said, it was three hours of good escapist stuff shot in an Ireland that few would recognise today. Liptons, the Munster & Leinster Bank, no traffic.....A tale from the days when foreign spies had the good grace to have dodgy accents and wear mackintoshes and trilby hats. An 18 year-old Kurt Russell is the star of the movie with Niall Tobin and Godfrey Quigley providing Irish interest in the gang of foreign agents. Co-star Patrick Dawson ended up playing Seamus Mannion in Fair City while Kurt Russell has a movie career. :D

Get hold of a copy if you can and enjoy. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

I watched "The Hunger Games" last night. I won't say I was disappointed as I wasn't expecting it to be any good but I was in no way pleasantly surprised at all. Pure muck IMO as I expected it to be.

Pacing is all wrong, stupidly fast at the beginning, the relationships just get to different levels without anything actually happening between the characters to develop the relationships, and then stupidly slow during the games. Half an hour up a tree FFS!

Then you have the crap rip off story (Battle Royale, 1984, Romeo and Juliet), terrible effects, woeful costumes and bland action. All in all a movie that I wish I never had the misfortune of seeing.

1/10 - The lead actress was okay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Stan_the_man

The Dark knight Rises - finally saw this yesterday, was decent.

Batman Returns was better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Shadow Dancer

I saw it last night and was a bit surprised there wasn't a thread on here about it. It's well made (even if you can pick out that it's made in Dublin and not Belfast, if you've not been to the two cities you wouldn't notice though), well acted, and the story line is interesting.

It's about a woman who is recruited by MI5 to be an informer on the IRA.

There is:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79853893

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Watched Se7en and 12 Monkeys for the first time ever yesterday, Se7en was very good, made even better by a stunning ending.

12 Monkeys was good too but preferred Se7en.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Men in Black 3 It was fine. I've already forgotten about it which is weird because I definetely wasn't drunk watching it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement