Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Men in Black 3 It was fine. I've already forgotten about it which is weird because I definetely wasn't drunk watching it.

Maybe the neuralizer worked on you?? :eek:

Or maybe it was an extremely bland sequel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Rushmore (1998) Directed by Wes Anderson, starring Bill Murray

Enjoyed it, short movie with quirky humor but a little strange as I always find Andersons movies to be so.

Murray as per usual is cool as a cucumber in it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

D'Agger wrote: »
    Rushmore (1998) Directed by Tim Burton, starring Bill Murray

Enjoyed it, short movie with quirky humor but a little strange as I always find Burtons movies to be so.

Murray as per usual is cool as a cucumber in it :)

Ehm I don't think that was Tim Burton

Was it not Wes Anderson?

Good movie though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Cool Hand Luke recently. Loved the fact that it showed the comradership between inmates rather than the strives. Cool movie, cool cast.

Also watched Chinatown. Great show, and a perfect example of classic Jack Nicholson. Furthered my admiration for Faye Dunaway also. *Note to self - watch Barfly again*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was it not Wes Anderson?

We'll say nothing.... :pac:

My bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched Se7en and 12 Monkeys for the first time ever yesterday, Se7en was very good, made even better by a stunning ending.

12 Monkeys was good too but preferred Se7en.

Both fantastic films, Se7en is one of my favourite movies, hard to believe its only Finchers 2nd film, its so well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was it not Wes Anderson?

Rushmore's a really enjoyable film. Personally speaking, it's the only Wes Anderson film that I can say that about.

Seen My Cousin Vinny the other night about two pals, two Guido types, from inner city NY who get fingered for a murder in a rural Alabama petrol station and decide to draft in a relation, Vinny - a lawyer of dubious manner, qualification and competence, to defend them.

A very fun comedy and Joe Pesci is really on form as Vinny. Also, a good turn from Marisa Tomei as Vinny's girlfriend and Ralph Macchio is fine as the accused, he doesn't get too much screen time as the film goes on and becomes more about Pesci - which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

krudler wrote: »
    Watched Se7en and 12 Monkeys for the first time ever yesterday, Se7en was very good, made even better by a stunning ending.

12 Monkeys was good too but preferred Se7en.

Both fantastic films, Se7en is one of my favourite movies, hard to believe its only Finchers 2nd film, its so well made.
    I don't think 12 Monkeys is that great tbh, I found it quite heavy handed, you could tell what was going to happen with 30 mins to go.

Se7en is solid but it suffers from a lull before the final, and excellent, 30 mins or so. I'd call it a great film, but not a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kensingtonne

Muppets take Manhattan - stupid movie but the songs are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't think 12 Monkeys is that great tbh, I found it quite heavy handed, you could tell what was going to happen with 30 mins to go.

Se7en is solid but it suffers from a lull before the final, and excellent, 30 mins or so. I'd call it a great film, but not a classic.

It does, but it needed a sort of reprieve for how dark it gets later. Imagine what the ending the studio wanted would have done to it, they wanted
    a chase ending with John Doe trying to get into Pitt's apartment and him trying to get there in time
    but both Pitt and Fincher were having none of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

The dark knight returns.
    Christopher Nolan ripped a whole lot of ideas from it. Never realised HOW much he copied even when I had read the comic as a younger man.
    Excellent cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Maybe the neuralizer worked on you?? :eek:

Or maybe it was an extremely bland sequel ;)

Just glad they didn't use the anal probe on me. Although, the scriptwriter probably was still using that trying to find the next idea for his film. (See what I did there? I implied that the scriptwriter pulls his ideas out of his arse.)

Also, I found the title a little bit racist. Surely instead of Men In Black 3 they could have went with the more p.c Men In African American Suits 3.

Batman The Dark Knight Returns Unspeakably brilliant. It's sooo good. Anybody that has read the graphic novel knows how good the story is, the makers of this movie don't ruin it. On a personal note, I thought the soundtrack was amazing. I loved it.

Sherlock Holmes A Game Of Shadows Very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Labyrinth.

Haven't seen it since I was a kid and I didn't remember any of it but, good God, it was cheesy and corny. Jennifer Connelly's acting was fairly dire, Bowie's musical numbers were horrifcally 80's and grind the film to an awkward halt.

The puppetry is it's saving grace though, with the likes of Hoggle still looking impressive.

I got a kick out of watching it as a slice of the 80's
    swisscheese.jpg

The Addams Family

Had been meaning to watch this for years since the sequel is the only one they seem to show on TV which left me remembering none of this movie.

Found it to be a lot more enjoyable and darker than I had initially thought it would be with a great cast from Raul Julia and Angelica Huston to Christopher Lloyd who completely owned the movie with his bulging expressions.

Plus, it reminded me of this song :pac::

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Watched Bad Teacher last night with Cameron Diaz, theres a good few laughs in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Watched Bad Teacher last night with Cameron Diaz, theres a good few laughs in it

I wish I got to watch a movie with Cameron Diaz, probably a scary one so she could jump onto my lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Rain Man:

Dustin Hoffman & Tom Cruise were outstanding in this film. It's a film with a sensitivity that's rarely seen in the modern-day films imo. The development of the relationship between these two brothers as each try to understand and communicate with each other, with their obvious differences, is remarkable.

I've not seen this in years but well worth a watch.

/On my day off from work today smothered with a head-cold. Thanks to lemsip; strepsils and this film, today is going okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Ghostbusters'

It's been a long time since I've revisited 'Ghostbusters', probably since it was shown in the cinema. Which is odd, as I'm as serial re-watcher of films. However, for some reason I could remember nearly every scene. Quite something, for a film I last saw in 1984.

In any case, it's lost none of it charm and I enjoyed it as much now as I had as a young boy. Even though the comedy isn't as potent as you make think, it's still good for the odd laugh, with all the best lines going to Bill Murray.

The Aykroyd penned story, which s like a comic version of Lovecraft, isn't really anything much to write home about. Three hokey "scientists" are kicked out of Columbia University and set up a ghost hunting outfit, after witnessing an actual ghost in the New York Public Library. They then proceed to rake in the business, when a whole manner of spectral goings on start happening, leading to a discovery that threatens the entire city.

The effects are a bit dodgy these days too and even for a film of its vintage, but they suffice and are entirely serviceable, with the honours going to the "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" and "Slimer".

The aforementioned Murray steals they day though and is the centre of the film, the other characters sort of seem to pale in comparison, except for Sigorney Weaver and Rick Moranis, whose role was originally going to be played by John Candy. The role of Venkman was originally meant to go to John Belushi, who died during early production. I just cannot imagine the hideously overrated Belushi doing the more subtle and cynical job that Murray did.

'Ghostbusters' made an incredible amount of money when it was released and it's return vastly outweighed its cost of $30 million. It sparked off a remarkable mania that a lot of people forget about these days and is classed as one of the most successful comedies that ever been produced.

In short, 'Ghostbusters' has aged, is not terribly funny, but still remains an excellent, hugely enjoyable film.

Where do we go Now?

A Lebanese film about a dusty rural village where Christians and Muslims live side and a period of tension that erupts between them. Some of the women in the village try different unorthodox methods to keep the peace by distracting them or pulling stunts of one sort or another.

OK film. Sort of uneven I thought. There's a fair few sub plots that don't really go anywhere and the main issue is dealt with in a meandering kind of way but the film does give a warm, witty account of Lebanese culture all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Starring Mel Gibson.
    I liked it,enjoyable film,worth a look.
    Mel shows a spark of the old Riggs.:)

If he hadn't poisoned his reputation so utterly, this lively bankrobber caper might have put Mel Gibson back on top, writes Peter Bradshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Session 9

It's one of those horror movies that keeps you guessing throughout the movie as to what's going on.

Worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I went to see three films today. Mostly stuff from last the 2 weeks that I was late getting around to.

The Imposter - very engaging documentary about an identity thief who conned a Texan family into believing he was their missing son. As the film progresses you start to wonder if he is conning the audience as well. Well crafted, enjoyable story about a fascinating character.

Samsara - a spellbinding feast for the eyes. There's no plot, no dialogue and no obvious narrative, but certain themes do become apparent. A beautiful look at humanity in all its flawed glory, told using the gorgeous, universal language of cinema. Spectacular film which Screen's rather lousy picture and sound quality doesn't do justice.

Berberian Sound Studio - stylishly crafted atmospheric horror about a sound technician in '70s Italy. Brilliantly performed and cleverly executed, one of the most memorable films of the year, although the third act decent into Lynchian nightmare aesthetics might be a bit too much even Lynch fans like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

The Pursuit of Happyness.

The whole way through I was thinking "Get a freaking job man".

Rise of the planet of the apes

To be honest I thought it was a pointless movie nothing really happens in it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mrmorgan wrote: »

Apart from the bit where
    the apes got over the Golden Gate Bridge and, y'know, set up a new society?

Birneybau wrote: »
    mrmorgan wrote: »

Apart from the bit where the apes got over the Golden Gate Bridge and, y'know, set up a new society?

Did I not say nothing really happens?????

It was a very bland movie you have to admit?

Plus that was a spoiler!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

Recently watched ...

Seeking a friend for the end of the world - awful film - really dont like Knightly.

Crazy Stupid Love - very good - worth a watch.

Men In Black III - more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be.

Dark Shadows - OK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The Grey I was very surprised at how good this film is. It was sitting on the hard drive for ages so I put it on last night, it goes quite a bit deeper than the usual survival film does, 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

!!!!!!Warning: Contains Spoilers!!!!!

'Cabin in the Woods'

Joss Whedon's sarky, tongue-in-cheek, "post Modern", "meta-horror" is the latest cut-n-paste effort that has Whedonites wetting themselves in the usual frenzied way. Not only that, but it's received generally favorable reviews from other areas too and currently holds around 90% positive on Rotten Tomatoes.

I have to say, I find the former tiresome and no less obvious from the Whedonites, but the fact that other critics are writing glowing words about it, makes the latter part nothing short of astonishing. Astonishing, because 'Cabin in the Woods' is nowhere near as smart as Whedon, or his irritating acolytes, think it is.

Although it's directed by Whedon protege, Drew Goddard, Whedon himself has taken his cue from 'Scream' and simply nicked an existing idea, tinkered with it, claimed it as his own, packaged it for his usual audience and marketed it as a revelation in film. A comedy-horror (my most hated genre after the rom-com) that'll have horror fans quivering for decades to come.

Unfortunately though, the film fails on both fronts. It isn't that funny and the horror elements are diluted badly by the attempts at comedy. Each angle is neutered by the other. But the worst thing about 'Cabin in the Woods' is that it's all been done before. The film's central reference, in a film whose raison d'etre is to function as a reference game for genre fans, is Sam Raimi's 'The Evil Dead' and that film did everything better and with better comedy (even though I personally think it's vastly overrated too).

The problem with Whedon's approach (to nearly everything he does), is that the nudge-nudge-wink-wink "did you see what I did there?", becomes tiresome quickly. The endless references to film's, that in the main are vastly superior, gets old. Everything from 'Friday the 13th', to 'Hellraiser', to 'IT', 'The Strangers', 'The Shining', 'Night of the Living Dead' and a whole host of others are mentioned in brief passing. Many of which will go flying over many peoples heads, I'm sure. The viewer needs to be a fan of horror films in order to get 'Cabin in the Woods', without which the film may come across as yet another silly slasher flick.

It's not all completely bad though. In the film's final third, everything goes haywire and there's some fun to be had trying to spot the different monsters that mangle the screen (and the people), but it's too little, too late and by the time the film is over, it's long since outstayed its welcome.

4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Grey I was very surprised at how good this film is. It was sitting on the hard drive for ages so I put it on last night, it goes quite a bit deeper than the usual survival film does, 8/10.

Might give this a go. Only ever gave it a passing interest but it's on Netflix now and is getting some decent praise on here.

• Advertisement

Chinese Coffee :

Starring Al Pacino and Jerry Orbach. Al plays a struggling writer, down on his luck in life and love, who stops by his friend's apartment late one night to sort out a few personal matters which they then debate for an hour and a half.

Decent 2 man film but a little bit overwrought in it's use of language. Probably deliberate as the fancy themselves as artistic and scholarly, and because it was already a stage play so I'm guessing the script was fully formed at the time of filming but they do take a pretty roundabout way of saying not very much at times. Worth it though because the script is peppered with Pacino's trademark outbursts, er, if you like that sort of thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement