Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Watch
    What a pile of pants. Wish I had of looked into this one.
    Unexpected twist,
    Fecking Aliens
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Basq wrote: »
    Compliance (2012)

IMDb wrote:
    When a prank caller convinces a fast food restaurant manager to interrogate an innocent young employee, no-one is left unharmed. Based on true events.

Since I was aware of the original story it was based on, it never really treaded new ground. The original story is more shocking if anything since
    the prank caller was acquitted of all charges, yet the restaurant manager's fiancee got 5 years in prison for sexual assault

Performances are all decent.. in that they can make you believe some people could be that idiotic.

Not a bad film persé.. but not much new in there - especially if, like me, you were familiar with the original story.

the original story? Jesus where did this happen?
    the movie was unbelievable, as in how the hell could this happen?
    the movie is freaky. especially since you know its based on true events. well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Also watched Compliance

Excellent film, I'm glad I got the reccomendation from here
    I hadn't heard of this story so was all new to me

Extremely messed up what happened

And what happened afterwards is even more messed up
    From wiki the assistant manager sued McDonald's for failing to warn her of the previous hoaxes, asking for $50 million.
    She was awarded 1.1 million which later got reduced.
    The nerve to even dare to sue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

I too watched Compliance and thought it was excellent but it was tough viewing in parts. Cringe behind the chair tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Regarding Compliance - am glad to bring the movie to more people's attention.

Here's a Wiki link on the Strip Search Prank Call Scam - the movie deals with the Kentucky, Mount Washington case specifically.

Here's a 20/20 report on the true story behind it and also has snippets of security camera footage from the incident: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=655_1204546764

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Stephen Tobolowsky's Birthday Party

You might know him as "Needlenose" Ned "The Head" Ryerson from Groundhog Day or any other number of films and TV shows he's appeared in. Anyway, this lighthearted doc shows the man preparing a birthday celebration and regaling the camera with stories from his colourful life. The man is something of a raconteur it seems and tells interesting tales such as being caught up in an armed robbery and swimming with killer sharks. Highly recommended. Check it out if you can find it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 BigCatInJapan

Footsteps in the fog, killer mystery about a rich man whose wife dies and his maid blackmails him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In The Loop - I'm working through the superb The Thick of It (hopefully will be finished before series four kicks off on Saturday) so it was a welcome opportunity to revisit this worthy spin-off. I tend to avoid superlatives where possible, but I think this makes a very, very strong case to be labelled the funniest comedy of recent years. Achieves a perfect balance between crude, obscenity-laced humour and clever yet accessible political satire. In a world where most mainstream cinematic comedy has gone to the dogs, In the Loop proudly earns its belly laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

truth or dare.
    its a ruin of the mill British horror. if you have nothing else to watch its worth a viewing. its one of those movies that starts off very good and meh towards the end.
    judge for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Basq wrote: »
    Regarding Compliance - am glad to bring the movie to more people's attention.

Here's a Wiki link on the Strip Search Prank Call Scam - the movie deals with the Kentucky, Mount Washington case specifically.

Here's a 20/20 report on the true story behind it and also has snippets of security camera footage from the incident: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=655_1204546764
    Good film, hard to watch some spots.

anyone recognise the cop at the end being the face and voice of Max Payne. iI recognised the voice before I realised who it was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

In The Loop - I'm working through the superb The Thick of It (hopefully will be finished before series four kicks off on Saturday) so it was a welcome opportunity to revisit this worthy spin-off. I tend to avoid superlatives where possible, but I think this makes a very, very strong case to be labelled the funniest comedy of recent years. Achieves a perfect balance between crude, obscenity-laced humour and clever yet accessible political satire. In a world where most mainstream cinematic comedy has gone to the dogs, In the Loop proudly earns its belly laughs.

love TTOI but didn't really take to in the loop
    the scenes in america just felt so... wrong

Oldboy. still awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched 3 movies at the weekend since I was at my parents and there wasn't much on:
    Collateral Damage: Boring attempt at an action movie that makes no real sense.
    Teen Wolf: Haven't seen it in a long time. Enjoyable. And it's true, an extra does flash the camera at the end.
    Charlotte's Web(Live action): Awwwwwww.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Paranormal Activity'

Absurdly successful when released in 2009, 'Paranormal Activity' is a found footage ghost story, shot entirely in "wobbly cam", featuring a total cast of four and shot on a budget of 2 shillings and 6 pence.

It's effective in some places, but mostly it falls very flat indeed and is dreadfully boring for many of its minutes. It also has two tedious and unlikeable people at the heart of its story.

It's quite bewildering to me how this made so much money and spawned not only one sequel, but three! Actually, they're prequels, but whatever.

You just keep expecting that little bit more to be happening.

'Grave Encounters'

Another "found/documentary footage" film, like 'Paranormal Activity', but slightly more entertaining. This story follows the activity of a film crew as they shoot for a cheap Reality TV show, named 'Grave Encounters'. The crew is led by the suitably obnoxious presenter, Lance Preston (Sean Rogerson) who guides them through an abandoned mental asylum "looking" for ghostly apparitions and other such nonsense. Along the way he pays some people to lie about their experience, films various hokey footage and interviews a bogus "medium" guest star, until some real creepy things start happening. The crew have locked themselves into the asylum for dramatic effect and find that they cannot get out, once things start to go awry.

'Grave Encounters' initially irritating premise actually builds into an ok film. There is a slight problem with the actors showing a little too much "acting" in their performances and it can take you out of the film. Some of the effects too are a bit "off" and don't necessarily suit. But, some scenes are very effective and can be quite jumpy, if you're in the right frame of mind. The asylum itself is quite a spooky place too and is a great setting for the film.

Worth a look.

'The Innkeepers'

Tedious ghost story about a hotel that is about to close and the discoveries that two employees, Claire (Sarah Paxton) and Luke (Pat Healy), make about the establishment during the final week, including the suicide of a young woman, Madeline O'Malley. They look into the story closer and find out that all is not right with the hotel and this leads to some creepy goings on.

Unfortunately, 'The Innkeepers' does nothing at all for such a long time, that when it gets to the point of the film, few people care. There's just so little going on, that it becomes tiresome.

It could have been a good film, if the producers had spiced up the proceedings a bit, but as it stands, 'The Innkeepers' moves way too slowly and does very little, that it's hard to recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Andersonville

Set in the US Civil War and about horrific conditions in a prisoner of war camp.
    Most of it based on events that happened

You may have seen the other Ted Turner films about the civil war so this is along the same lines

Obscure actors, I've never seen them before or since but they did a good job.
    Well there was one I recognized, the hotel owner from HBO's Deadwood

When things get tough it's survival of fittest and often your worst enemies are your former comrades who would kill you for a slice of bread or a pair of shoes.

Nearly three hours long, if you liked the other Ted Turner films you'd like this.
    It's not a documentary, more a made for TV film

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Watched Faster the other night. Nothing spectacular but a solid action film to kill a few hours. Predictable enough plot but a nice cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Lego: The Movie I didn't know what to make of it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Lego: The Movie I didn't know what to make of it to be honest.

In bits was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

nicklauski wrote: »
    In bits was it?

It's all over the place. I'm still trying to piece it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

Saw Shadow Dancer at the weekend. Very solid thriller. Slow paced but it quite tense. Great performances and good to see Irish locations being used (Ballymun one of the most recognisable). Andrea Riseborough and Domhnall Gleeson are as good as ever and the ending packs a bit of a punch.
    Solid 4 out of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

It's all over the place. I'm still trying to piece it together.

Touché :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anton Corbjin: Inside Out - documentary profile of photographer to the stars (U2, Arcade Fire, many other musicians of record) and sometimes film-maker (Control, The American). It's pretty good - Corbjin is a modest, likeable individual, and the filmmakers capture much of what makes him so popular with countless talented people. It's mostly filmed in an observant and understated style. The second half lays on the 'insular, lonely, transient artist' angle too strongly - there's several shots of Corbjin walking reflectively away from camera when it seems like its going to fade to black, but followed by more shots of Corbjin walking reflectively away from camera. Definitely feels like it was stretched out to just about hit feature length. But it's a solid documentary - nothing groundbreaking, but its affectionate and respectful without resorting to the hyperbole other such profiles would.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

This is England: One of them films that ive had on the to watch list for some time considerig how much id heard about it, just finished watching it and it certainly is powerful and I did enjoy it. One id certainly recommend great performance by Stephen Graham as Combo and Thomas Turgoose as Shaun who is especially impressive given his age when it was filmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

The possession

If you are into horrors then it's worth a watch but stay away othetwIse. They really don't make horrors like they used to!

The watch:

Where has it all gone wrong for Ben stiller and Vince Vaughan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Next (2007)
    Certainly not Nic Cage's best movie :pac: But its worth a watch. He plays a man who can see 2 minutes into the future. Its the type of movie if you aint doing anything it'll pass 90 mintues.

Event Horizon (1997)
    Watched it a few times over the years. Still a nice little 'Horror in space' movie.

(I know someone will blast me for this one :pac:)

But The Avengers...
    Its just not as good as people say. Like, its still an entertaining movie. Its just all this talk of "10/10" - "best movie of the year!" - for me its not. My girlfriend said something interesting about it as well ... that while the movie is ok. Each characters movie was better than the combined Avengers movie. Captain America the first avenger was a better film IMO.

Next (2007)
    Certainly not Nic Cage's best movie :pac: But its worth a watch. He plays a man who can see 2 minutes into the future. Its the type of movie if you aint doing anything it'll pass 90 mintues.

Event Horizon (1997)
    Watched it a few times over the years. Still a nice little 'Horror in space' movie.

(I know someone will blast me for this one :pac:)

But The Avengers...
    Its just not as good as people say. Like, its still an entertaining movie. Its just all this talk of "10/10" - "best movie of the year!" - for me its not. My girlfriend said something interesting about it as well ... that while the movie is ok. Each characters movie was better than the combined Avengers movie. Captain America the first avenger was a better film IMO.

A few people have said to me that in individual movies were better but I disagree. I thought thor and captain America were poor and as for the hulk movies!

I did enjoy the iron mans though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

The Prestige, really enjoyed it

Question
    If Bales double was a natural twin, why was the keyword to his diary tesla, the guy who made the cloning machine

nuxxx wrote: »

Question
    If Bales double was a natural twin, why was the keyword to his diary tesla, the guy who made the cloning machine
    Question: Was Christopher Bale's character a twin or a "clone" made by Telsa's machine? (Because Bale's keyword for his diary is "TESLA" and when Hugh Jackman's character actually goes to see Tesla, he states that he knows he made a similar machine for his competitor. Bale??)
    Answer: They were twins. Tesla didn't make a matching machine for Borden - all he made for the twins was a machine that made some light and noise to enhance their trick. The Borden brothers sent Angier off to see Tesla on what they thought would be a wild goose chase, just to get him out of the way for a while - they would never actually give away the real secret to their trick. They never anticipated that Tesla could actually have built the machine in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ spoilers? Plenty of people havent seen the prestige yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Haven't posted here in a while as a i'm making my way through some tv Series at the minute. On the recommendations of a few above I watched Compliance and I have to say I was a little disappointed, maybe because my expectations were quite high.

It was a truly weird case and the main feeling i got from the film was why are these people doing this? Once you get over that there's not much else to it. As stated before though the actual cases themselves made very interesting reading.

Might have benefited by developing the character of the perpetrator a bit more or by providing a better exposition of the links between the behavior of those involved and the phenomenon of compliance itself. Have to say that it did provoke some discomfort in parts and my other half couldn't watch all of it through.

From a film point of view I didn't think the cast were up to much although there was a nice minimalist feel to it. Overall a decent made for tv movie. 6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

nuxxx wrote: »

Question

Well I believe it was because
    Bale knew Jackman's character went to America to enlist Tesla's help. As such it would be the very last thing Jackman would guess. Which is kinda what you want from a password when you think of it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement