Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

1323334353638»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ecowise wrote: »
    This is an intriguing suggestion so I looked it up and came across pics here
    http://theinquisition.eu/wordpress/2010/dublin/marshalsea/

as well as an assertion that they were demolished n the 60's so sadly not the place unless there were other buildings in the complex.

Archiseek says 1975.

http://archiseek.com/2012/1775-the-marshalsea-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 On Dive

Hello,

To me that looks like the married quarters of Griffith Barracks, formerly Wellington Barracks, now Griffith College on the South Circular Road near Leonards Corner. The married quarters were to left of the barracks as you face it. The site is now occupied by a health centre or clinic of some type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

On Dive wrote: »
    Hello,

To me that looks like the married quarters of Griffith Barracks, formerly Wellington Barracks, now Griffith College on the South Circular Road near Leonards Corner. The married quarters were to left of the barracks as you face it. The site is now occupied by a health centre or clinic of some type.

It is a nursing home, Bellevue. Currently closed and under renovation at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

On Dive wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks for suggestion. It is an outside possibility as I lived quite close to Griffith Barracks but I don't recall ever going inside. I think there was a barrier across the SC Rd entrance as far as I can remember so it was probably a manned entrance. I am still inclined to think it was Thomas St/James St area or somewhere close to the south Quays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

FunkyDa2 wrote: »

Funland is there. Surely not the same one that was/is on O'Connell st beside Henry st to this day (or at least recently) ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

My great grandfather's leather shop at no. 45 James's Street, Dublin, sometime between 1919 & 1940. It's a Centra store now. If there's anyone who still remembers this, they would probably be in their late 80s by now. Maybe someone would remember their parents talking about this shop?

20170503_141812_zpsmwzykln3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

More info on the previous owner, Christopher Burgess, here.

420007.jpg

http://photopol.com/james_st/no_45.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

Thanks for that. I came across the Burgess photo a few years ago and was in contact with Pól O' Dwyer (Christy Burgess was his GG) to see if he had any more info/stories about my GG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 littlesnippets

CuppaCocoa wrote: »
    Big ask but would anyone have any pics of The Monument Creameries Cafe, particularly the one in Ranelagh? They were in operation from the 20s until 1966 when they went into voluntary liquidation. I lived over the cafe until 1970 but don't have a pic of the shopfront :(

My mother, Kitty White was manageress of the Monument Creamery in Ranelagh during the 1950’s, according to family ledgend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I don't know how to upload photos since Photobucket changed things. But you may find what you are looking for HERE

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,558 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rashers wrote: »
    I don't know how to upload photos since Photobucket changed things. But you may find what you are looking for HERE

Best of luck

It would appear they have already posted there, either that or another resident of the same flat did.

The Duchas image collection and the Dublin City Libraries site would be the first two places I'd recommend digging./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Does any have, or know if photis of the Markievicz Baths when they were first opened from the outside?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Bumping an old thread but have a cool pic of my granddad and his brother.

qqaQ3Kw.jpg

Is it just me or is an extremely handsome fella? I love the girls face in the back, I think there used to be photographers or something around the city who would take random pics of passers by and then sell them.

Edit: Thank you Mr. Arthur Field for this picture. What a great role he played in capturing the lives of people in this city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

An extremely handsome fella it must be said. I love the girls face in the back, I think there used to be photographers or something around the city who would take random pics of passers by and then sell them.

He was Arthur Field, the man on O'Connell Bridge..

http://www.manonbridge.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

that's unreal. Think I've heard about him before now that you said his name. something so enchanting about it. I have raglan road, marino walz and rare auld times and just weeping.Strange longing for Dubliners I never even knew. Maybe it's what they represent :) They are all part of our collective past as Dubs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement