Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Guy just called today to inform us, works out expensive for someone only throwing rubbish out once every 3 weeks or so

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Got that leaflet in today as well. Awful deal. Especially complicated because this is a house converted into several flats, so would one bin even be enough? Who's going to have to pay the charge, one of the tenants, or the landlord?

And what do I do with the bags I've already paid for? That's the guts of €20 down the drain for me. "bin the bags" they say, the bags you've already taken my money for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

david75 wrote: »

This will just lead to more fly tipping.

Bin charges is a false economy. It most cost the council more to pick up all the illegally dumped rubbish than it would to collect people's bins for free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone any experience of ecoway?
    They left us in a leaflet this morning and sound ideal for the occasional rubbish bag person.

http://ecoway.ie/services/bag-intro/domestic-bag/

€2.50 a bag for rubbish, €1 for recycling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No collection by Greyhound this week in my neighbourhood (off Cork Street). So the costly bag will be recycled for next week and the old rubbish goes around the corner.

That is a useful thing to remember with Greyhound and other bag selling wasters - always put the rubbish in to smaller bags (ie. the black binliners sold in pound shops) so when and if they fail to show you can re-use the branded bag and still flytip in a tidy manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭Patser

No collection by Greyhound this week in my neighbourhood (off Cork Street). So the costly bag will be recycled for next week and the old rubbish goes around the corner.

That is a useful thing to remember with Greyhound and other bag selling wasters - always put the rubbish in to smaller bags (ie. the black binliners sold in pound shops) so when and if they fail to show you can re-use the branded bag and still flytip in a tidy manner.

Good man yourself. It's always handy to know that dumping your rubbish on someone else's street is a more cost effective option than just keeping it til next week in its heavy duty bags. I mean it's not like there'll be a need for a new bag anyway for the new rubbish building up over that week, especially if it had been collected. Far more sociably conscious to simple dump big, cheap black bags just around the corner from your own street.

Have you rang/contacted Greyhound to complain? Checked if there was a breakdown and a replacement collection arranged? Or just dumped first, and made an online whine instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I live on a narrow street that only has bin bags at the moment. We had some sales chap from greyhound around the other day that said the bags are no longer allowed by Dublin CC, so wheelie bins are compulsory.
    Anyone know if there is any truth in this (wouldn't be surprised if Greyhound were lying)

Turns out they were lying as I suspected. I heard from Abbey Waste and they said it's only greyhound that are moving to wheelie bins. All other providers will continue to do bags.
    They came around with forms making people think they had no choice but to go to Greyhound wheelie bins, regardless of current company
    Scumbags of the highest order, I'm sure some old people will fall for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Patser wrote: »
    Good man yourself. It's always handy to know that dumping your rubbish on someone else's street is a more cost effective option than just keeping it til next week in its heavy duty bags. I mean it's not like there'll be a need for a new bag anyway for the new rubbish building up over that week, especially if it had been collected. Far more sociably conscious to simple dump big, cheap black bags just around the corner from your own street.

Have you rang/contacted Greyhound to complain? Checked if there was a breakdown and a replacement collection arranged? Or just dumped first, and made an online whine instead.

Nothing collected on the street around the corner either. It makes it easier for DCC to collect the waste on Monday morning. I don't spend money making phone calls to failures. As for a social conscience, I give as much of a toss about society as it gives about me.
    As for "heavy duty bags", how is life on Mars ?

Turns out they were lying as I suspected. I heard from Abbey Waste and they said it's only greyhound that are moving to wheelie bins. All other providers will continue to do bags.
    They came around with forms making people think they had no choice but to go to Greyhound wheelie bins, regardless of current company

I had a similar experience, exchanging correspondence with both companies. Greyhound will link a Statutory Instrument they claim will make bins compulsory in July of this year. Abbey disagree. For now anyway I have just switched to AW bags, will see what happens in a few months.

Ditto - was as I suspected as well when phoning around a few companies.
    Moved/moving to Abbey, cheaper, especially the recycling bags.

Greyhound should be reported for their hard sales tactics at the door and misselling

• Advertisement

The Statutory Instrument I mentioned above is now getting media coverage.

http://www.thejournal.ie/public-paying-recycling-first-time-bins-2577692-Feb2016/

I wonder how Abbey Waste and others will respond to this. I live in an area in the centre of Dublin, terraced houses, but there are gardens, so we probably won't get the exemption. But I don't want to go form paying €3 a month(one bag out a month) to €15 for two lifts of bins I won't fill or a couple of months.

MrMorooka wrote: »
    The Statutory Instrument I mentioned above is now getting media coverage.

http://www.thejournal.ie/public-paying-recycling-first-time-bins-2577692-Feb2016/

I wonder how Abbey Waste and others will respond to this. I live in an area in the centre of Dublin, terraced houses, but there are gardens, so we probably won't get the exemption. But I don't want to go form paying €3 a month(one bag out a month) to €15 for two lifts of bins I won't fill or a couple of months.
    Also live in a terrace, with a small front garden. So it's either leave them out front where they will magically fill themselves or drag them through the house mud, snow and everything
    I don't think Abbey have anything to collect bins in our area, they only trucks I've seen are ones for just throwing bags into.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A Greyhound guy turned up at my door today to give me the bad news.

I only put a bag out maybe every four or five weeks (if even that) so he offered a 49.50 per year charge with a charge per lift (can't remember but it wasn't huge) for black bin and will also cover recycling and a brown bin if I want it. Sounds alright tbh.

Has anyone come across anything better?

I really, really don't want three bins clogging up my postage stamp of a front garden, but looks like the writing is on the wall :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I only put a bag out maybe every four or five weeks (if even that) so he offered a 49.50 per year charge with a charge per lift (can't remember but it wasn't huge) for black bin and will also cover recycling and a brown bin if I want it. Sounds alright tbh.

I really, really don't want three bins clogging up my postage stamp of a front garden, but looks like the writing is on the wall :mad:

We are going with ecoway.ie €2.50 a bag and we already bring our recycling to the city council centres for free.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I just switched to buying Abbey Waste bags. Easiest solution.

Judging by the number of AW bags on the road last Tuesday and the lack of any new Greyhound bins, looks like it's what most people on my street did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But the greyhound fella was insistent that come July there will be no bag collection, by anyone, as a result of the legislation.

Was he spoofing?

I'd pay extra not too have wheelie bins in my front garden!

Don't particularly want to tie myself to one of the still-collecting -bags companies, only to find that have to give it up in summer anyway. ...

You'e not tying yourself to anything- there's no contract, just go to the local shop and buy the bags as needed, leave them out on collection day. Then you can wait it out and see what happens in July. You're not losing anything by waiting, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Hi, I'm living in Stoneybatter at the moment and was just wondering will the next new weighted bin charges cost more than the Greyhound bin bags. A month which are €10.95? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Note: previous post moved to Bin megathread for better coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi All,

I paid an for annual collect last October with Greyhound. Turns out I will get refunded (into my Greyhound account) the remainder of the year from July. Has anyone done some research into the best offers out there?

Living in Glasnevin.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

• Advertisement
Advertisement