Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Andrew Campbell

Greyhound eventually took away my bins the other day (after about a year) and no money changed hands :-) Stick with it and they eventually will collect for free. The T&C's that are being quoted here from their website do not apply if your current contract with them (if you have one at all) was made before they introduced the T&C's that say they will charge for returning bins

• Registered Users Posts: 9 friday girl

my problem is that they have 50 euro of mine - credit. this is the 3rd time they have taken 50 from my card this year!! so they can just deduct the 40 and refund the rest rather that refund the 50 as I have asked .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

my problem is that they have 50 euro of mine - credit. this is the 3rd time they have taken 50 from my card this year!! so they can just deduct the 40 and refund the rest rather that refund the 50 as I have asked .

Might be worth mentioning to them that you are going to call the National Consumer Centre to query the legality of these charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I don't know why they all charge so much for the compost bin, doesn't encourage people to use it when it costs more than the general waste bin.
    Should be free like the green/recycling one. Or at least cheaper than general waste

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Are waste companies licensed by DCC? Can you make a complaint to them about a waste companies operating practices?

Since they have changed so that companies collect in the same area on the same day Greyhound have been collecting at ridiculous times on my road. In the last month it's being getting later each week - 11.20 pm, 11.45pm and last night it was 12.20am. I don't mind be woken occasionally but it looks like a pattern now.

Why can't they collect during the day like other companies?? :mad:

• Advertisement

Greyhound are a law onto themselves ....don't have to follow the rules because they are "special".
    I have happily moved to citi bin. They collect at same time every Monday - around 8am. the bins are left back tidly and the cost is one quarter of what I used to pay.
    Happy days

Greyhound are a law onto themselves ....don't have to follow the rules because they are "special".
    I have happily moved to citi bin. They collect at same time every Monday - around 8am. the bins are left back tidly and the cost is one quarter of what I used to pay.
    Happy days

I left Greyhound a year ago but some of my neighbours are still with them. As you say CityBin are so much better I'm a lot happier with them. Unfortunately due to a free marketplace I still have to put up with nonsense from Greyhound. :(

That's a pain .
    My neighbours were quite shocked when I told them of the cost difference . several of them have moved . last year there was only one set of red bins , now the majority on the road are red.Takes time for folk to become aware of the savingsin money & stress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Are waste companies licensed by DCC? Can you make a complaint to them about a waste companies operating practices?

Since they have changed so that companies collect in the same area on the same day Greyhound have been collecting at ridiculous times on my road. In the last month it's being getting later each week - 11.20 pm, 11.45pm and last night it was 12.20am. I don't mind be woken occasionally but it looks like a pattern now.

Why can't they collect during the day like other companies?? :mad:

For what it's worth ... DCC waste bye laws

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/WASTE/Pages/WasteBye-Laws.aspx
    6.b: Within the Central Commercial District a holder shall not present
    waste for collection before 5:00pm on the designated collection day,
    unless otherwise approved in writing by an appointed person

7.d: An authorised waste collector shall only collect household waste
    or commercial waste within the Central Commercial District on the
    designated collection day between the hours of 7.00pm to 12.00
    midnight, unless otherwise approved in writing by an appointed person.

This conflicts with the summary on the web page because somebody thought that 12:00pm was midnight!
    Within the Central Commercial District (CCD) waste collection is only to take place between 7pm & 12pm on collection day. Waste is not to be presented for collection before 5pm

I presume that if you have an issue with the practices of a waste operator then you contact DCC in the first instance?

However in your case it looks like they were at worst 20 mins late/beyond the "watershed" so it might be a bit rash to complain unless they do this on a regular basis? Just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

TM wrote: »
    However in your case it looks like they were at worst 20 mins late/beyond the "watershed" so it might be a bit rash to complain unless they do this on a regular basis? Just my opinion...

But for a residential area the hours finish much earlier, so Greyhound are out of order
    Outside the CCD collections are only to take place between 6.00 am & 9.00 pm. This is restricted to 8.00 am to 8.00 pm at weekends and Bank Holidays. Waste is not to be presented for collection before 6pm on the day before collection.

• Advertisement

TM wrote: »
    For what it's worth ... DCC waste bye laws

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/WASTE/Pages/WasteBye-Laws.aspx

This conflicts with the summary on the web page because somebody thought that 12:00pm was midnight!

I presume that if you have an issue with the practices of a waste operator then you contact DCC in the first instance?

Thanks for that. I just checked the bye-laws and the central commercial area is confined to the city centre. Outside that area (section 7(c)) the collection times are 6am-9pm Mon to Fri and 8am-8pm Sat/Sun. I'll ring DCC to make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

wench wrote: »
    But for a residential area the hours finish much earlier, so Greyhound are out of order

Ah - OK - I didn't notice that.

DCC are as bad as Greyhound. I rang the waste management unit but they don't deal with complaints and gave me a number for the waste regulations unit. So I rang them but only got a voice recording giving me an email address to apply for a permit. I eventually got someone on the main customer services number they said they had a lot of complaints about Greyhound but didn't know who was dealing with it (reshuffle of departmental responsibilities apparently :rolleyes:). She said she would add my complaint to the list. Hopefully I see some local election candidates so I can bend their ear about it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Moved into new house which have 4 old DCC bins and I signed up with Thorntons so now have 7 bins in my garden!!!! Anyone know if Greyhound will collect the old bins as we don't have a contract with them and if so will they want 30e (and is it per bin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

way back all most 3yrs ago I sent greyhound an email stating that " Im contacting you with regard to YOUR waste bins which I want removed from MY property" & so on, they collected them within a week & no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

lensman wrote: »
    way back all most 3yrs ago I sent greyhound an email stating that " Im contacting you with regard to YOUR waste bins which I want removed from MY property" & so on, they collected them within a week & no charge.

I told them basically the same thing and a month later the bins were still in my front garden. I gave them to family members for use as coal bins and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ The artistic renaissance of the future will be starting back in NCAD in a few weeks. Greyhound bins as found objects sounds like the start of a sculpture project.
    Cue the beginning of the "layabout art students nicking my bin" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

I want to move from Greyhound but I've looked at the DCC website and none of the other companies seem to serve our area. Some of them serve other streets nearby but all the neighbours on our street have Greyhound bins. We are in Dublin 4. Is it possible that there are no competitors in the area??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Arbie wrote: »
    I want to move from Greyhound but I've looked at the DCC website and none of the other companies seem to serve our area. Some of them serve other streets nearby but all the neighbours on our street have Greyhound bins. We are in Dublin 4. Is it possible that there are no competitors in the area??

Seems unlikely, phone the usual suspects (Thorntons, Oxygen, Citibin, maybe more) and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Arbie wrote: »

I'm in Dublin 4 and we're with City Bin, as are loads of our neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

City Bin don't cover our road, even though they collect from houses 10 metres around the corner. I've called every company listed by DCC and the only other option is Thorntons but they are 1.5x the price of Greyhound.

I live on a narrow street that only has bin bags at the moment. We had some sales chap from greyhound around the other day that said the bags are no longer allowed by Dublin CC, so wheelie bins are compulsory.
    Anyone know if there is any truth in this (wouldn't be surprised if Greyhound were lying)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I live on a narrow street that only has bin bags at the moment. We had some sales chap from greyhound around the other day that said the bags are no longer allowed by Dublin CC, so wheelie bins are compulsory.
    Anyone know if there is any truth in this (wouldn't be surprised if Greyhound were lying)

New one on me, dont want the bins

fritzelly wrote: »
    New one on me, dont want the bins
    Seems to be lies all right, is there nothing these scumbags won't do for business (burn competitors trucks etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nothing to do with the council, as such, but I have heard of areas where they're being blamed for litter, eg being ripped open etc

https://greyhound.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/B2B.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah feck, hope this isn't true.

Definitely don't want a bin(s), and bags are FAR cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Nothing to do with the council, as such, but I have heard of areas where they're being blamed for litter, eg being ripped open etc

https://greyhound.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/B2B.png

The only such litter issue I've seen is from dumped bags that around for a week been ripped open
    Though the price doesnt seem too bad except I only use 1 bag every 3 weeks or so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fritzelly wrote: »
    The only such litter issue I've seen is from dumped bags that around for a week been ripped open
    Though the price doesnt seem too bad except I only use 1 bag every 3 weeks or so

We do the same and bring our recycling for free to the depot, plus occasionally dropping a black bag there too. Bins wouldn't work on our street, which has terraced houses straight onto a narrow footpath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I switched from Greyhound to Citybin (and am very happy with CB)

Greyhound still continue to bug me though by when they come down my road to collect my neighbours bin they flip in my car mirror - but don't bother to flip it back out.

City Bin on the other hand send down a mini bin lorry (I live on a narrow street) and don't need to go near anyone's mirrors. And of course they put my bin back to exactly where I left it!

Advertisement