Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I only question why the cops went up at night time to search. They should have gone this morning when they are all in their bed

I would love to know the reasoning behind this also, was the first thing we said this morning when we heard - should've done it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Berserker wrote:
    How were they a thing of the past? There was a car bomb in the city not so long ago.

Generally speaking the city had moved on from the dark ages of the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,072 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nancy Pallozi (sp?) was at Magee yesterday along with many others commemorating the Good Friday agreement.

Obviously the intelligence was correct as there was at least one illegal firearm which murdered Lyra.

It struck me yesterday as Pellosi was talking that there are far too many people still clapping themselves and select others on the back for the GFA.

Your word 'commemorating' is apposite because the GFA is dead atm. And it has stagnated and failed to deliver fully. One of the reasons a lot have been left behind.
    This killing is the culmination of stagnation that far too many have been willing to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Cousins still put up with **** from the RUC *ahem* sorry, PSNI.

The people I dealt with in Belfast, from both sides of the divide, didn't have any friction with the PSNI. They all respected the police and interacted with them, as needed. May it be the case that the issue here lives with the people themselves rather than the police force?
    It struck me yesterday as Pellosi was talking that there are far too many people still clapping themselves and select others on the back for the GFA.

Your word 'commemorating' is apposite because the GFA is dead atm. And it has stagnated and failed to deliver fully. One of the reasons a lot have been left behind. This killing is the culmination of stagnation that far too many have been willing to ignore.

Have to say that I agree with you 100% Francie. Watched some of the coverage and it was one of the greatest exercises in back-patting that I've seen in many a year. The GFA has been off the rails for years now and people, on both sides of the political divide, seem unwilling to acknowledge this for fear or damaging their legacies, in my opinion. They worked hard to broker that agreement and it worked to a certain extent but it needs to be reviewed and re-worked now. Jamie Bryson called this on BBC and RTE a few years back and he was bang on. I'm guessing you are not his biggest fan but he's bang on about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Berserker wrote:
    Spent a lot of time in Belfast for work a few years back and the people there were incredible, far nicer than Dublin. I stayed in and frequented the east of the city most of the time, so my primary interactions were with the Unionist people but one of my closest work colleagues was a Nationalist. Both sides just got on with their lives. Derry/Londonderry and the border counties appear to be a different beast. These areas appear to have an unhealthily large section of their communities, who want to engage in terrorism; a very convenient mask for criminality in my opinion. None of the people I knew in Belfast, from either side, had a positive view of Derry/Londonderry and the border counties.

Have you spent any time in Derry, or are you basing your belief on what you're hearing from people who live an hour and a half away?

I'm not saying you are right or wrong by the way, but in my opinion, the same can be said of the people of Derry. The vast majority live in harmony, but there will always be a few who long for the troubles of the past, and on both sides.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    The people I dealt with in Belfast, from both sides of the divide, didn't have any friction with the PSNI. They all respected the police and interacted with them, as needed. May it be the case that the issue here lives with the people themselves rather than the police force?

Aye, guy never arrested, never had anything to do with criminal activities getting pulled over in his work van at least once a week. Cheek of him.
    Maybe it's different in different areas but most people I know giving out about the PSNI are the kind who should be having no dealings with them, the ones I know or strongly suspect of having shady stuff going on get no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Your word 'commemorating' is apposite because the GFA is dead atm. And it has stagnated and failed to deliver fully. One of the reasons a lot have been left behind.
    This killing is the culmination of stagnation that far too many have been willing to ignore.

Indeed, a lot of people have been dining out on their participation in the GFA for a couple of decades.

She was a talented young woman by all accounts. One non-fiction book in the bag and a novel to be published next year all before the age of 30. Sad to see her taken like this - who knows what she would have gone on to achieve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What a horrible thing to wake up to. Hopefully the killers are brought to justice.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Aye, guy never arrested, never had anything to do with criminal activities getting pulled over in his work van at least once a week. Cheek of him.
    Maybe it's different in different areas but most people I know giving out about the PSNI are the kind who should be having no dealings with them, the ones I know or strongly suspect of having shady stuff going on get no hassle.

Around the border counties? Mad cos two lads who come down here for work live there and they never have an issue. We pop up to Newry or Portadown every few weeks for a bit of shopping and we've never had a moments bother. Might just be some "difficult" cops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

First of all, and most importantly, my deepest sympathies to the Family of poor Lyra McKee - May She Rest In Peace.

An outrageous act of senseless violence, and carried out by a group who represent a tiny percentage of the overall population up here.

• Advertisement

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Have you spent any time in Derry, or are you basing your belief on what you're hearing from people who live an hour and a half away?

I'm not saying you are right or wrong by the way, but in my opinion, the same can be said of the people of Derry. The vast majority live in harmony, but there will always be a few who long for the troubles of the past, and on both sides.

I’d agree. I love Derry and I’ve happily gone there hundreds of times without a care in the world. My daughter went to Magee and lived on the fringes of Creggan and her neighbors were regular families who would say hello, talk about the weather and get on with their lives in peace.

Apologies for taking the discussion slightly off track, but I cannot help but make comment on some of the sweeping generalizations made on the pages of this discussion about the North, on the basis of this one incident. For people here to link this one outrage to the stereotypical view of the North shows the intellect of some of those typing. One even made reference to the standard of driving up here!

Good grief! Is that really the standard of what passes for debate on the pages of this forum nowadays?

Apologies for taking the discussion slightly off track, but I cannot help but make comment on some of the sweeping generalizations made on the pages of this discussion about the North, on the basis of this one incident. For people here to link this one outrage to the stereotypical view of the North shows the intellect of some of those typing. One even made reference to the standard of driving up here!

Good grief! Is that really the standard of what passes for debate on the pages of this forum nowadays?
    Ah sure NI is grand and has no issues. Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Where did they say that? :confused:

Agreed J Cheever - "Northern Ireland is a sh1thole" is just puerile.

But more importantly, the poor woman and her loved ones. Haven't a clue what community she is from or that of the scumbag who killed her - just shocked and saddened and disgusted, and very worried now about a return to the dark days. :-/

Derry 1916 Easter commemoration on Monday has been cancelled but they couldn’t help but say in their statement that this was an accidental killing.

Disgusted by that part.

I’d go Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Derry 1916 Easter commemoration on Monday has been cancelled but they couldn’t help but say in their statement that this was an accidental killing.

Disgusted by that part.

What part of shooting indiscriminately into a crowd in the dark,is accidental ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,631 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This has been brewing for some time and in other areas too.
    There is a void with the closing of Stormount and the inactivity of the politicians on both sides. The DUP and SF are offering nothing to the young polarized communities. In fact they gain by it. Having barstool flag-wavers most of whom are poorly educated and who are easily led is how they get their votes. They keep them in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

What part of shooting indiscriminately into a crowd in the dark,is accidental ?

Or what part of carrying a gun is accidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

kellygop wrote: »
    Not being smart or whatever, but I have tickets for the LOI game in Derry tonight, would it be safe to go?

I dunno can the Rovers fans behave themselves :PAC:

No you will be fine just remember pins don't open here until 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

This has been brewing for some time and in other areas too.
    There is a void with the closing of Stormount and the inactivity of the politicians on both sides. The DUP and SF are offering nothing to the young polarized communities. In fact they gain by it. Having barstool flag-wavers most of whom are poorly educated and who are easily led is how they get their votes. They keep them in power.

Well the council elections at the start of May will show if the failure of Stormont has changed some ingrained loyalties. It'll be the first big chance for the public to show the politicians what they think of them.

(I'm not being naive here. I expect nothing to change at all.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,400 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Berserker wrote: »
    Spent a lot of time in Belfast for work a few years back and the people there were incredible, far nicer than Dublin. I stayed in and frequented the east of the city most of the time, so my primary interactions were with the Unionist people but one of my closest work colleagues was a Nationalist. Both sides just got on with their lives. Derry/Londonderry and the border counties appear to be a different beast. These areas appear to have an unhealthily large section of their communities, who want to engage in terrorism; a very convenient mask for criminality in my opinion. None of the people I knew in Belfast, from either side, had a positive view of Derry/Londonderry and the border counties.

I'd move to Belfast in the morning, it's a city in which I'd quite happily raise my children. Think that says an awful lot about Belfast as a city.
    This comment is absolutely outrageous. If you've spent any time in Derry, you would know that they're no better or worse than those in Belfast, Dublin, London, or any other city on these islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Saying the cops found nothing in the search when someone pulls out an illegal firearm and kills some one seems to have gone over their fecking heads. Brain dead people

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

There are no words to describe this statement,and the smug grin on their leader in the Dail the other day ,listening to Nancy Pelosi.!
    Turns my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There are no words to describe this statement,and the smug grin on their leader in the Dail the other day ,listening to Nancy Pelosi.!
    Turns my stomach.

The leader of Saoradh was in the Dail? Find that hard to believe. Do you have a link?

I'm afraid this is the standard of the debate I was referring to.

Yes, there are issues of concern but they are far outweighed by the many positives, in terms of both the people and the place itself.

Do you reckon you yourself would be capable of recognizing that, or is everything simply black and white in your world?

• Advertisement

I'm afraid this is the standard of the debate I was referring to.

Yes, there are issues of concern but they are far outweighed by the many positives, in terms of both the people and the place itself.

Do you reckon you yourself would be capable of recognizing that, or is everything simply black and white in your world?

NI is worse than the South, how's that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement