Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in the Wall Gang ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Probably some loyalist gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

mickdw wrote: »
    Older diggers were not too fussy re keys either.

They're easy to hot wire anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

touts wrote:
    "They haven't gone away you know".

PSNI have said dissident IRA not involved-but sure don't concern yourself with the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mickdw wrote: »
    Older diggers were not too fussy re keys either.

They're easy to hot wire anyway.

Yes. Some of the newer stuff not so easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think given the level of sophistication and the specific manpower requirements for carrying out these crimes.... it is obvious to me that the perpetrators are always either one step ahead or one step behind the efforts of both the Gardaí and the PSNI.

With this in mind, it is highly likely that the gang are in fact a team of Time Travellers... from in this instance I feel the past. It would easily explain how they have managed to vanish without a trace in each instance. Time travellers are well renowned for their distinct ability to leave the actual time-zone they are in, to enable them to avoid detection.

Given the current rates of inflation it is highly unlikely that they would get the correct spending power out of the stolen money in the future. However by bringing the stolen cash back 10 or 15 years they could be getting a lot more bang for their buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So they've struck again...they're brazen whoever they are....so that what..nine atm's so far..and whats the average an atm would hold..10k? so thats 90k?

surely its only a matter of before they slip up

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I reckon ATMs may become extinct in the near future, because the same card that you use to withdraw cash can be used for cashless transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

I reckon ATMs may become extinct in the near future, because the same card that you use to withdraw cash can be used for cashless transactions.

Get in on the action before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

can they not attach an alarm system to these ATM's so when their attacked a signal will go to a security centre? signalling where it is located and then call the nearest police station??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

frosty123 wrote: »
    can they not attach an alarm system to these ATM's so when their attacked a signal will go to a security centre? signalling where it is located and then call the nearest police station??
    They probably do, but sure the thing is out of the wall and on the back of the flatbed in 60 seconds, then gone. Lads in the back throw a big tarp over it, doesn't look like an ATM.

They could park it up in a yard literally around the corner without suspicion and wait for the cops to leave. Not sure about tracking devices, they probably don't have them installed. But they're easily jammed anyway.

I wasn't really getting why the media in the Republic were getting so obsessed about ATM robberies up north, but I guess if it's paramilitary stuff then that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

They wont. There is still huge investment from banks and from private companies in them.

Internet banking (not mobile app banking) will become extinct next.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    They wont. There is still huge investment from banks and from private companies in them.
    We'll start seeing ATM charges being brought in, which will kill their usage stone dead.

We actually have a very high uptake of payment terminals in Ireland. Very rare to encounter even a tiny business that doesn't have one. Petrol stations and shops like having ATMs so people can take out cash to pay, but since it's basically impossible to get a bank card that doesn't have a chip, these are becoming more and more irrelevant.
    Internet banking (not mobile app banking) will become extinct next.

-_-

....but....they're the same thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Any sign of the gang getting caught yet? They have done a lot of these robberies on both sides of the border by now. Probably the police are too afraid to go near them. You would think in this day and age technology could solve it.

janfebmar wrote: »
    You would think in this day and age technology could solve it.

i would have thought so too in this age of CCTV, tracking devices etc

Would it be that difficult to put a motion sensor that activates the die into the machines? You open the door to fill machine putting in code to deactivate sensor. Fill machine up and then code in to activate again.

When a digger drags the atm it would activate the die.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

they have it built in those cash cases those delivery transit drivers use, so why not atm's?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Two machines ripped from different banks in Kells last night. Happy Easter indeed !.

Edit : two th the north also.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Two machines ripped from different banks in Kells last night. Happy Easter indeed !.

2, and I'll raise you another 2.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0419/1043533-atm-kells/

You'd nearly think the "Lads" were putting together a fighting fund for events further down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

septictank wrote: »
    2, and I'll raise you another 2.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0419/1043533-atm-kells/

You'd nearly think the "Lads" were putting together a fighting fund for events further down the road.

That is why it is important to catch them. Thete was poor woman shot in Derry last night too you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think it's the banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I think it's the banks.

You're so funny.

For (too) many posters in this thread there is a general 'no harm done' vibe to these robberies.

Well, there are repurcussions, someone pays in the final analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

imme wrote: »
    You're so funny.

For (too) many posters in this thread there is a general 'no harm done' vibe to these robberies.

Well, there are repurcussions, someone pays in the final analysis.

I think it's because people are apathetic. You've got two police forces either side of the border that can't put a stop to it and then you've got the banks, who will just pass on the cost of the insurance premium increases to the customer. Which is all relative because they have been overcharging us for decades. Whole thing is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How come these guys never get caught in the act? You would have expected their luck to run out at some point......robbing one or two machines is one thing but we seem to be well into double figures at this stage.

Surely somebody is going to spot a digger being driven along a road in the middle of the night and think 'what the hell?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,744 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Geez it's the travellers , the ones the government put on a pedestal. It's why you won't hear any more of it, they seem to be above the law.
    They were raided in Cork yesterday, lots of cash seized, and now they had their quick revenge hours later, it's not rocket science.

Who else leaves a mess like that, it's the act of the simply minded and you need to be pretty full of yourself and brazen to carry out these caveman robberies.
    Who could it be..............
    WTF
    It will be brushed under the carpet pretty quick by the government. It's their culture, same olde excuse every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Geez it's the travellers , the ones the government put on a pedestal. It's why you won't hear any more of it, they seem to be above the law.
    They were raided in Cork yesterday, lots of cash seized, and now they had their quick revenge hours later, it's not rocket science.

if they are above the law then why were they raided in cork yesterday?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Lets have a poll!

Is it the "Boys" or is it the "Lads"?

I think it's the "Lads" because if it was the "Boys", the lads would be looking for their cut and there would be a few "Boys" limping a bit.

Seriously though, the owners of the diggers around the country should have them secured a lot better.

Some just park them in the nearest field and walk away. should be a propper immobilizer, like in a car.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    if they are above the law then why were they raided in cork yesterday?:confused:

Because it was a case of to be seeing to be doing something about them.They just went out and robbed all the money back they lost yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Because it was a case of to be seeing to be doing something about them.They just went out and robbed all the money back they lost yesterday.

But they seized money, cars etc they did something about it. the gardai and cab are doing their job.

The Criminal Assets Bureau seized 10 vehicles, four Rolex watches, and more than €30,000 in cash in a series of early-morning raids targeting a Cork-based organised crime gang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

septictank wrote: »
    Lets have a poll!

Is it the "Boys" or is it the "Lads"?

I think it's the "Lads" because if it was the "Boys", the lads would be looking for their cut and there would be a few "Boys" limping a bit.

Seriously though, the owners of the diggers around the country should have them secured a lot better.

Some just park them in the nearest field and walk away. should be a propper immobilizer, like in a car.

FFS we cant carry them to bed with us , there not like a tractor that you can park them in a lock up shed after your days work.

Advertisement