Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in the Wall Gang ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

All the effort criminals went to with trying to rob cash in transit vans when all they needed to do was rob the machine itself that the vans were delivering this cash to, I'd say there's a few people in Mountjoy tonight feeling like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

All the effort criminals went to with trying to rob cash in transit vans when all they needed to do was rob the machine itself that the vans were delivering this cash to, I'd say there's a few people in Mountjoy tonight feeling like idiots.

Or just rip the van open with an excavator

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/03/gang-steals-23m-government-security-van-italy-ripping-back-open/

Anyway from their point of view it's better than tiger kidnapping of bank managers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I watched the old episodes of Crimewatch UK on YouTube( I know I'm odd).
    The cash in transit robbers used be great. They often showed the members of the public chasing the gang. They robbe4d generally had a Ford Orion!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The cash in transit van i seen lately had a sticker on the van saying glue pack or something like that on whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Enjoying the doughnuts and coffee or is it a chicken burger :D

Hilarious. No I'm not a guard, I just don't get how people expect guards to be at the scene of every crime instantly, almost before it happens when there are clearly not enough of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Well in fairness the station was only 500 yards down the road... And they took 2 out of the walls on either side of the road... They were'nt exactly gone in 60 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

If you were being kicked to death on O Connell street they'd be nowhere to be seen either. Plenty around checking for tax/nct though

I don't usually frequent the area, but I've walked up O'Connell street a dozen times this year. Each time I've seen at least one garda standing at the junction of Henry street or outside the GPO.

None of them were stopping cars for tax/nct either.

scamalert wrote: »
    But as said if someone manages to get truck low loader,digger etc why bother with atms, 60k think is the max could be stored then again you never know how much will be left after a day. yet machinery like that could run easily 20k.

ATMs are filled to the brim the night before a bank holiday weekend. That way no bank worker is required to come in and refill it on their 'bank holiday'. This is especially true on Holy Thursday with 4 days of cash needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't usually frequent the area, but I've walked up O'Connell street a dozen times this year. Each time I've seen at least one garda standing at the junction of Henry street or outside the GPO.

None of them were stopping cars for tax/nct either.
    There is meant to be one on stance there but not always there.

They do absolutely nothing.

There is meant to be one on stance there but not always there.

They do absolutely nothing.

If you were being kicked to death would "they do absolutely nothing"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Oops! wrote: »
    Well in fairness the station was only 500 yards down the road... And they took 2 out of the walls on either side of the road... They were'nt exactly gone in 60 seconds.

Who's to say they were in the station at that time and not somewhere else. Unless the guards are notified immediately when the gang arrive, the gang will always have a substantial head start.

Who's to say they were in the station at that time and not somewhere else. Unless the guards are notified immediately when the gang arrive, the gang will always have a substantial head start.

I reckon they were watching the station until the squad car left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Volume105 wrote: »
    If I were robbing a an atm on a town main street I'd create misdirection. For example, an hour before the planned robbery set a car on fire somewhere that would be awkward and time consuming for the guardai, then have the route back obstructed with a chopped down tree.

Back in the town have a series of manned posts strategically placed to ready to cause further distractions.

You and 20 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Why don't they have security bollards in front of the machine?

Because the arm on a track machine would just reach over it and rip out the machine. It's like holding a dwarf at arms length and punching him with your other hand.

Most machines are easily accessible for theft and unfortunately part of the design process for installing them didn't factor in that they'd be ripped from the wall using a track machine with a huge arm.

Also most of the older machines are very easily started...a Lucas key or a screwdriver and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Could be that we're about to see a new bank on the market run by 'the boys'.

On another note, I look forward to the day they are caught in the act and one or all of them are shot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

no.8 wrote: »
    Could be that we're about to see a new bank on the market run by 'the boys'.

On another note, I look forward to the day they are caught in the act and one or all of them are shot

Wow, now you seem a charm altogether.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The banks need to remodel to stop this.
    Better locations for machines and better installs.
    Looking at one yesterday, the machine was installed in an old door opening. Even left the overhead glass panel in place it seems. Talk about making it straight forward for the digger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you were being kicked to death would "they do absolutely nothing"?

Knowing my luck most likely as I've been attacked in work numerous times and seen others attacked in the city and they drive on by.

The armed units are as much use as a chocolate engine in as far as the most I see them do is tapping away at their phones or on calls.

You can actually get away with any traffic infringement from what I see daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Edgware wrote: »
    Why not just withdraw use of the A.T.M.s for a few months. Let the innocent suffer as usual

Sure cash is only used by criminals and money launderers these days. Ban cash transactions and we'll see these ATM thefts fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

highdef wrote: »
    Why the need to say "machine" twice in succession? It's like saying PIN Number.
    😂

Are you trying to get me to give you my personal PIN number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose unless 100 ATM's are stolen in a year it won't become an issue that the banks will want to invest in a proper solution for, the cost wouldn't be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mickdw wrote: »
    I've a feeling the gardai are not in any hurry to the scene of these robberies.
    Given who it is thought are involved, they are likely armed and dangerous.
    It is an unsafe situation for an unarmed ordinary garda to walk into.

yep, the garda station in kells is just up the road and yet they didn't get there in time???...
    The garda station is just over 500 metres away from John Street but gardaí said they arrived at the scene within minutes of receiving the call

RTE link

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

There are 3200 atm's in the republic, not sure how many are outside at banks, which I haven't used in years or inside ones at supermarkets which I use the odd time.

Don't think there's a need to have so many, they'll become like public phones, just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is it a traveller gang or a republican group that are carrying out these robberies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I suppose unless 100 ATM's are stolen in a year it won't become an issue that the banks will want to invest in a proper solution for, the cost wouldn't be justified.
    Do the banks self insure for this (lost cash + damage) or do they insure through an external insurance provider ?

If self insured they will only act on a cost / benefit basis. If externally insured the risk must be rapidly reaching the point of being uninsurable either by rising premium or outright refusal to cover the risk at which point it's back to cost / benefit.

At the current rate of ATM robberies the number of easy targets must be reducing fairly quickly though how easy the culprits make it appear must increase the risk of copycat robberies - four in one night is hardly the work of one gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is it a traveller gang or a republican group that are carrying out these robberies?
    One hand washes the other.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

mfceiling wrote: »
    . It's like holding a dwarf at arms length and punching him with your other hand.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

What i don't get, the alarm was raised at 4 AM. the Gardai station is 500 metres away yet they arrive on the scene 20 minutes later, thats why these fellahs have not been caught, they are offsky at 4.05 AM giving about 15 to twenty miles head start of the Guards. Although I can't imagine Kells having an active crack team waiting to pounce when the alarm goes off.

The Guards were at the scene in 3 minutes

scamalert wrote: »
    well definitely not worth risk, but shows that response time is a joke, as station is few minutes away, most likely 1 person sitting thou.Then add to that that any more units would be 15-20min away at best, so no wonder they get away.

Response time was 3 mins

• Advertisement

Oops! wrote: »

Believe it or not they were gone in just over 3 minutes

Advertisement