Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in the Wall Gang ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭amber2

ATMs should have a dye capsule that stains and marks the notes should the atms cassettes be tampered with,would deter this type of thing.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

they have it built in those cash cases those delivery transit drivers use, so why not atm's?
    Until a few months ago, ATM's didn't get removed before being forced open.
    Should be an easy retrofit option though, I'm surprised the banks haven't done it yet.

Strazdas wrote: »
    How come these guys never get caught in the act? You would have expected their luck to run out at some point......robbing one or two machines is one thing but we seem to be well into double figures at this stage.

Surely somebody is going to spot a digger being driven along a road in the middle of the night and think 'what the hell?'.
    You try stopping a 5 tonne digger in one squad car, it needs intelligence to find out where the next raid is and go in with suitable vehicles (& Armed unit as backup) to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

amber2 wrote: »
    ATMs should have a dye capsule that stains and marks the notes should the atms cassettes be tampered with,would deter this type of thing.

they do but they freeze the dye before they open them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Would it be rocket science to fit every atm with a tracking device so you could at least see where they all ended up?

• Advertisement

Great to see such enterprising spirit, such get up and go, such "we can do this" gumption, alive and well in the border area. I was hoping it wasn't restricted to that Monaghan Fine Gael councillor in the Prime Time programme a few years ago.

I remember when all that these lads had was smuggling and cockfights to organise. Look at them now, beating the big financial boys down in Dublin and they never even did the Group Cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

4 in the one night .. seems like 3 different outfits in action last night .. maybe all part of one larger group .
    Mostly a northern thing but so many towns and villages in the south with no Garda presence you’d think there’s a lot of easy pickings down here .. you can even do 2 ATMs in the one town like Kells ??.. plus in the south if you somehow got caught you’d only get a suspended sentence ffs

Would it be rocket science to fit every atm with a tracking device so you could at least see where they all ended up?
    What's the point, unless you have a SWAT squad on standby, by the time they've tracked it the short distance the robbers take it, it'll be empty and the robbers gone in different directions.

How do they get past all the secure frame to insert a freezing agent, they would have to achieve this before moving it, otherwise the tilt switch would activate the dye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

4 ATMS in one night, 2 in NI and 2 in ROI.

The gangs are getting more sophisticated as they gain confidence of never getting caught.

Placing home made spikes outside Kells Garda station is a new one to impede or delay Garda response.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0419/1043533-atm-kells/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

What's the point, unless you have a SWAT squad on standby, by the time they've tracked it the short distance the robbers take it, it'll be empty and the robbers gone in different directions.

How long does it take to break into them?

Good point btw, you would imagine that GPS or tracker systems technology would already have been installed in ATMS, especially vulnerable ones in remote villages around Ireland with no Garda stations nearby.

Whats the solution so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

kravmaga wrote: »
    Placing home made spikes outside Kells Garda station is a new one to impede or delay Garda response.

Neil McCauley would approve.

What's the solution so?
    Either fit dye systems that activate when the cabinet is disturbed/moved or move the machines to an interior courtyard or inside a building where a big digger can't be used.

In reality, I expect the exposed ATM will soon be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its either the provo's, loyalists (unlikely as they rarely come south) or are good friends the travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like very sklilful work done in Kells, certainly not someone using a digger for the first time...

0011ef68-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Its different up there in the border counties, I'm from the west of Ireland and had a girlfriend from Castleblaney.
    She was telling me that the best approach up there was keep doing what's in front of you

If you think you might witness something illegal or see something going on, turn around and say nothing.

In fairness if i was driving through a border town and seen a digger working the night shift, id drive by as if i seen nothing.

Seen nothing officer I had my eyes on the road.

Never ever be a tout or tell on anyone up there because you'll be excommunicated and probably have to emigrate, squeelers and rat's are not in existence...

The guards won't be able to give someone 24 hour protection. Because that's what you'd need if you said anything.

So id say if any of the locals heard a digger at 3am they'll just turn over and continue sleeping.

That's right Mick tell them nothing....

^^^^^^^^^^^^

the price of peace?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

the price of peace?

What would you do in those situations?

Im not undermining your comment, it's just each person for themselves.

Unfortunately some communities are tough and I don't think anyone's living in fear or ignorance up there.
    Its just the way the cookie crumbles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

4 ATMS in one night, 2 in NI and 2 in ROI.

The gangs are getting more sophisticated as they gain confidence of never getting caught.

Gardai were probably wrecked after breathalysing those going to evening mass in Kells

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

looking forward to the day i hear they are caught.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    looking forward to the day i hear they are caught.

They'll be caught eventually, probably get too brave thinking they're invincible or invisible.

Its probably all the one gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The gardai will catch them. Its just a pity the justice system gives silly jail terms. Few years must of it suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Where is the garda helicopter and the aru?

Maybe the overtime ban is kicking. Guards should be out in full force in early hours of the morning.

If the psni did the same they would be caught sharpish.

The power vacuum in the North isnt helping either.

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Its different up there in the border counties, I'm from the west of Ireland and had a girlfriend from Castleblaney.
    She was telling me that the best approach up there was keep doing what's in front of you

If you think you might witness something illegal or see something going on, turn around and say nothing.

In fairness if i was driving through a border town and seen a digger working the night shift, id drive by as if i seen nothing.

Seen nothing officer I had my eyes on the road.

Never ever be a tout or tell on anyone up there because you'll be excommunicated and probably have to emigrate, squeelers and rat's are not in existence...

The guards won't be able to give someone 24 hour protection. Because that's what you'd need if you said anything.

So id say if any of the locals heard a digger at 3am they'll just turn over and continue sleeping.

That's right Mick tell them nothing....

Poor attitude, sit on the fence type person, weak , no morals

^^^^^^^^^^^^

the price of peace?
    Hedgelayer wrote: »
    What would you do in those situations?

Im not undermining your comment, it's just each person for themselves.

Unfortunately some communities are tough and I don't think anyone's living in fear or ignorance up there.
    Its just the way the cookie crumbles.

yes i know, the words of this song sums it up perfectly

Poor attitude, sit on the fence type person, weak , no morals

I tell you what, you move up to the border counties and play sherlock homes or the famous five....

Let us know how you get on.

Ive a moral compas alright I know the difference between living in a border town and village in a sleepy village in North Clare.

You know what you can do with your remark about my morals.

Its easy for you to judge my moral compas from a keyboard.

Off with you now and you head on up to the borders and preach about having no back bone and being spineless.

Well see who's side of the fence you'll be playing with...

yes i know, the words of this song sums it up perfectly

Excellent, that sums it up.

Like the time I was at a pub quiz in Scotland and one of the lads couldn't answer a question, an exe English squaddie said that's right Paddy tell them nothing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Update from Kells Gardaí
    Gardaí were alerted to the incident and immediately proceeded to the scene, however metal spikes had been positioned outside Kells Garda Station in efforts to impede the Garda response. The vehicles used by the culprits were also parked across the street in an effort to obstruct responding vehicles.

Pretty well planned.

Advertisement