Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Rooted my phone and loaded up ultratoxic rom and Siyah Kernal via Odin

Put in the jig to go into download mode and the screen does not show the message Download information Succeeded not showing

It shows

Factory Mode
    Product Name
    Custom Binary Download Yes (4 Counts)
    Current Binary :Custom

So the triangle does not disappear is there something I am doing wrong or need to do? Think the Current binary should be samsung so how can I get this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Rooted my phone and loaded up ultratoxic rom and Siyah Kernal via Odin

Put in the jig to go into download mode and the screen does not show the message Download information Succeeded not showing

It shows

Factory Mode
    Product Name
    Custom Binary Download Yes (4 Counts)
    Current Binary :Custom

So the triangle does not disappear is there something I am doing wrong or need to do? Think the Current binary should be samsung so how can I get this?
    Newer bootloaders have disabled the download jig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why do people actually care so much about the triangle showing you have modded the phone? Coz it invalidates the warranty? Most of the time they will repair it for you anyway. I know one person that got modded phone with hardware fault repaired without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Currently running checkrom revolution v2 with siyah v2 kernel and it is the best I have experienced so far... 2 days battery I am getting with moderate to heavy use some days...

At 62% at moment after 16 hours unplugged... I turn off data at night also, there is no need for it, well I don't need it anyway... Just sync in morning when wake up if you need to have emails etc. update...

Checkrom v3 is out now.. I will flash that in a few days...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Can't look past Cyanogen Mod really for performance, battery and feel. It's a class above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭doodio

Why am I roaming on 2g???

Whenever I switch to 2g, it shows as vodaphone network instead of 3 ire.

Never had this problem on the nexus s. tried my sim in other phones and roams 2g fine and gets edge data.

Can't get it on sg2. Tried stock 3 roms, currently on ICS MIUI.

I've tried various modem files too. Can someone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

doodio wrote: »

Never had this problem on the nexus s. tried my sim in other phones and roams 2g fine and gets edge data.

sorry can't help on the roaming but interested to hear how ICS MIUI is working out (other than this issue obivously!)

would you recommend it? didn't realise ICS was available on our S2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

i think the miui ics is just a themed rom, not an ics rom

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭doodio

nedd wrote: »
    i think the miui ics is just a themed rom, not an ics rom

It's a solid build. I think it uses ICS framework with MIUI overlay. It's not just a theme.

Everything works so far. I miss the launcher but it's very customizable. I've sorted all apps and games into folders and put on a skin that's unique. Using vortex live wallpaper, looks great. I might switch just to get a launcher back. Beware, it's meant to look like an iphone. Of course, I think the iphone gui is just gross, so use themes that move away from that if you're an android fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Jonathan wrote: »
    Newer bootloaders have disabled the download jig.

Fixed it I flashed the new modded Sammy bootloader that cant be wiped.So I flashed via Odin the old bootloader in PDA

Going ok with this Rom(UltraToxic Rom v7.2.1 - Lite'ning Themed & Siyah Kernel) and lets hope the developer keeps it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi All, This thread is pretty big so hoping someone who has already done it can give me a quick answer.

Can someone point me to a guide on how to Root the S2? Its not my phone (i have a HTC) so I haven't really been keeping up to date with this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

nedd wrote: »
    Hi All, This thread is pretty big so hoping someone who has already done it can give me a quick answer.

Can someone point me to a guide on how to Root the S2? Its not my phone (i have a HTC) so I haven't really been keeping up to date with this.

Thanks

steps 1-11 here. easy peasy :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1125414

apparently there's a tool knocking about that does a "1 click" solution but I can't vouch for it. It's on xda here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321538

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭pah

doodio wrote: »

Because you ARE roaming on vodafone. 3 is a 3G network only if you dont have coverage with three you fall back to vodafones gsm network. I had the sam on my xperia play with cyanogenmod

Hi folks could anyone give me a definitive answer as to what insecure kernel i should be going for to root my wifes sgs2? These are my details.
    HhyZ9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Can't be ars*d to look through all the pages - does anybody know how to unlock the S2?

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Can't be ars*d to look through all the pages - does anybody know how to unlock the S2?

There's an app called unlocker i think in the market

There's an app called unlocker i think in the market

Cheers. I'm in a bit of a pickle though, whenever I tilt my GS2 it goes sort of greenish/blueish tint. Is this normal? I bought it on adverts still sealed in the box so I don't think the guy knew it was faulty, but I have no receipt. Do you know if Samsung repair this with warranty from IMEI or will I just have to live with it? I need to know before I root my phone. :)

Can anyone put me right re: insecure kernels? I don't know which one to download

Cheers. I'm in a bit of a pickle though, whenever I tilt my GS2 it goes sort of greenish/blueish tint. Is this normal? I bought it on adverts still sealed in the box so I don't think the guy knew it was faulty, but I have no receipt. Do you know if Samsung repair this with warranty from IMEI or will I just have to live with it? I need to know before I root my phone. :)

No idea to be honest but that colouring doesn't sound good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Can anyone put me right re: insecure kernels? I don't know which one to download

I'd go with KH1, to match the firmware, and it is for the 2.3.4 KH1 firmware, the baseband (radio/modem) doesn't matter.

It shouldn't really matter that much.

Zagato wrote: »
    I'd go with KH1, to match the firmware, and it is for the 2.3.4 KH1 firmware, the baseband (radio/modem) doesn't matter.

It shouldn't really matter that much.

Thanks Zagato. I rooted it with the new way that has been knocking about on XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321538) and it worked fine but does not give me CWM capabilities. I just want to put Villainrom on it so even though I am rooted I can just go through the normal procedure of using that insecure kernel and the normal Odin process?

This may seem a little stupid but how do I install CWM? BUKG1 is my baseband. I'm rooted and everything and have ROM Manager but when I try reboot into recovery it goes to the stock recovery instead of clockwork. I don't see what I'm doing wrong? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

This may seem a little stupid but how do I install CWM? BUKG1 is my baseband. I'm rooted and everything and have ROM Manager but when I try reboot into recovery it goes to the stock recovery instead of clockwork. I don't see what I'm doing wrong? :confused:

rom manager sometimes fail to install CWM correctly (or try it multiple times - install CWM is the option - pick SGS2 and try it more then once! if it fails then you have to do it manualy. or by flashing kernel.

are you running costum rom? if you are about to do so i will recommend you easy way. Flash litening rom with odin version 2.0 (old) that iclude root + cwm and tehn enter CWM manualy and you can flash anything you like. easy way.

Bikerguy wrote: »
    rom manager sometimes fail to install CWM correctly (or try it multiple times - install CWM is the option - pick SGS2 and try it more then once! if it fails then you have to do it manualy. or by flashing kernel.

are you running costum rom? if you are about to do so i will recommend you easy way. Flash litening rom with odin version 2.0 (old) that iclude root + cwm and tehn enter CWM manualy and you can flash anything you like. easy way.

Cheers. Do you have a link to where I can get the litening ROM? It's a .tar yeah so I can easily flash through ODIN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Cheers. Do you have a link to where I can get the litening ROM? It's a .tar yeah so I can easily flash through ODIN?
    yes i posted to you through pM - jsut download odin + litenning 2.0 and follow the pictured instruction on the thread i posted to you. and woalla you have it - then enter CWM manualy and flash whatever you wanna mate. easy as that. :)

2.0 version is flashable through odin and yes its TAR. make sure you follow the pictures guide and also kill all kies processes in backround. well i hope you are familiar with odin. let me know how you getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 EHB

How do you go about rooting SG II if you have a macbook. I've been through the process before on a Desire but have no windows based system now. Is it possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

EHB wrote: »
    How do you go about rooting SG II if you have a macbook. I've been through the process before on a Desire but have no windows based system now. Is it possible?

Don't know if this is any use to you, may not be, but I used the following on PC, but there is a Mac script too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=18995198#post18995198
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321538
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1319653

It roots. Thats all it does though, doesn't give you CWM, but also doesn't give you the little yellow triangle and doesn't increase your flash counter. So you have your original stock with root. Not most peoples cup of tea, but thats all I wanted.

Bikerguy wrote: »
    yes i posted to you through pM - jsut download odin + litenning 2.0 and follow the pictured instruction on the thread i posted to you. and woalla you have it - then enter CWM manualy and flash whatever you wanna mate. easy as that. :)

2.0 version is flashable through odin and yes its TAR. make sure you follow the pictures guide and also kill all kies processes in backround. well i hope you are familiar with odin. let me know how you getting on.

Cusers worked a treat. For anyone who has the same problem as me in the future or anything...

Download this ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274, have Samsung Kies installed(just for drivers), and Odin then just flash the rom and boot to clockwork (up vol+home+power) then flash the rom you want from there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

For anyone interested you can install the ICS keyboard from here

http://www.techgom.com/2011/11/install-ics-keyboard-on-android-device.html

seems pretty nifty, faster and bigger buttons than what I was on!

Advertisement