Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Zagato wrote: »
    You can't back up the ROM with Titanium, what you want is to either back up the entire ROM -which you should do through the recovery menu, or back up your apps and their data (Titanium). I do not back up system data with Titanium, as it should be in the new ROM that is flashed. I also back up texts separately with 'SMS backup and restore' and my contacts are on Google.

Went into Recovery and then tried to back up and it said that it 'Can't mount backup path'

I have used Titanium to restore my phone back to litening rom previously so not sure why cannot do it now?

Sounds like your going to have to do a wipe then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Did a batch backup but deselected all the items in the list that where in red. When I was backing up it was stopping at busy box and so removed that.

Few users on the same Rom having the same issue. Other than Titanium is there any other application that can back up a Rom so if I do move to another Rom and maybe want to return to this Rom I can restore it?

Even keep restore saved on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Did a batch backup but deselected all the items in the list that where in red. When I was backing up it was stopping at busy box and so removed that.

Few users on the same Rom having the same issue. Other than Titanium is there any other application that can back up a Rom so if I do move to another Rom and maybe want to return to this Rom I can restore it?

Even keep restore saved on PC?

ClockworkMod Rom Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ok I'm tired of Villain Rom and want to check out CheckRom. But I'm still not sure about this whole kernel thing and it's made all the more confusing as my new kernel isn't KXX at all but 2.65.35.11 ninphetamine 2.0.5+ How do I know if this is compatible? And should I flash a kernel first?

(HTC Hero was so much easier :D )

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ok I'm tired of Villain Rom and want to check out CheckRom. But I'm still not sure about this whole kernel thing and it's made all the more confusing as my new kernel isn't KXX at all but 2.65.35.11 ninphetamine 2.0.5+ How do I know if this is compatible? And should I flash a kernel first?

(HTC Hero was so much easier :D )

Usually flash kernel after flashing ROM

• Advertisement

Cool any idea what kernel as these ones seem to be renamed, ninphetamine etc... Anyone a link to a resource explaining them? I get the KI4 or KG8 one's but these... woosh.

Cool any idea what kernel as these ones seem to be renamed, ninphetamine etc... Anyone a link to a resource explaining them? I get the KI4 or KG8 one's but these... woosh.

Yeah, it doesn't matter that much, when you're using a stock ROM, it makes sense to use the kernel that Samsung have matched to it.

For modded ROMs and Modded kernels it's a bit more like trial and error as to which works best (hopefully someone else will already have done the trials and advise which kernel to use with the ROM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Shooter, do a full wipe and install checkrom v4. Boot into it and go to the kitchen pro app. Select Siyah ver2.3 in the kernel section and mark for download. Press menu and then select apply. When the kernel is finished downloading reboot to clockwork mod and flash the kernel. It's in download> checkrom. Reboot and you'll have the best kernel and rom combination. Anyone else messing with roms should try this. It's fantastic for smoothness and battery life, the best rom and kernel I've used.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Shooter, do a full wipe and install checkrom v4. Boot into it and go to the kitchen pro app. Select Siyah ver2.3 in the kernel section and mark for download. Press menu and then select apply. When the kernel is finished downloading reboot to clockwork mod and flash the kernel. It's in download> checkrom. Reboot and you'll have the best kernel and rom combination. Anyone else messing with roms should try this. It's fantastic for smoothness and battery life, the best rom and kernel I've used.

You see, you didn't even have to go looking for someone who's tried some kernels, they found you :D:D:D:D

Got the modding sorted and it looks sweet, installed vertimus ics theme and it's gorgeous though I did download big banghd's one too and stole the lock screen icons out of and am using chrome ones which again look goos.

Anyone try out the sonysketch font as well? I have it on and I like the futuristic style to it.

image from someone else on xda
    d0362782-564b-708b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Been trying a few different ROMs recently - mostly used Lite'ning (the lack of development and a few crashes have put me off - regularly got 2 days out of it though) but also tried VillianROM (battery lasting a day and nothing special about it one way or the other) and Clear and Simple (or something similar - even with a good battery kernel I was lucky to get 12 hours or so out of it).

Installed the quoted combo tonight, lets see how we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

How can I upgrade Swype on my phone to the latest 3.26 beta?

seanp_25 wrote: »
    How can I upgrade Swype on my phone to the latest 3.26 beta?

If you are registered for beta testing, you can then download the latest installer, and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Hi Griffdaddy. Currently on Villainrom but the battery life seems to be getting worse even with everything unsynced. Do you do all this through Odin or CWM?
    I assume there is an up to date modem included in the firmware?

Hi Griffdaddy. Currently on Villainrom but the battery life seems to be getting worse even with everything unsynced. Do you do all this through Odin or CWM?
    I assume there is an up to date modem included in the firmware?
    Hi Ellinguistico, flash the rom through Cwm, and then you can download the kernel in the kitchen pro app that's included with the rom. Flash it using Cwm and you're ready to go. There's a kernel with the rom, but I went straight to Siyah 2.3 as it seems to be the most popular choice for the rom. Siyah 2.4 is out now as well but I haven't tried it. The kitchen pro app is also brilliant for themes etc and is well worth a look around. It's usually best to download from there and flash directly from Cwm though, as there can be issues if you flash straight from the kitchen.

Hi Ellinguistico, flash the rom through Cwm, and then you can download the kernel in the kitchen pro app that's included with the rom. Flash it using Cwm and you're ready to go. There's a kernel with the rom, but I went straight to Siyah 2.3 as it seems to be the most popular choice for the rom. Siyah 2.4 is out now as well but I haven't tried it. The kitchen pro app is also brilliant for themes etc and is well worth a look around. It's usually best to download from there and flash directly from Cwm though, as there can be issues if you flash straight from the kitchen.

Only flashed this all last night but seriously impressed so far, battery is running down at maybe a little over 1% an hour despite auto background syncing and being on a data connection rather than wifi.

great thanks, will have a stab at doing this later when i have time
    From having a quick snoop on xda it seems important i flash the wipe version?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

If you are registered for beta testing, you can then download the latest installer, and take it from there

This won't work with the stock ROM.

Swype Installer says something like "Sorry Swype Beta isn't available for phones with Swype pre-installed."

hey there, I have flashed checkrom and in the kitchen pro the only siyah option is 2.4 which i have 'marked for installation' but how do you actually download it so i can go into recovery and flash? doesn't seem to be giving me an option to do so.

Got as far as enjoying the ROM for a bit then tried to flash ICS via CWM and it is stuck on a bootloop. Do i have to re-do everything now again i wonder i.e there is no way to 'un-flash' that theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Perhaps i missed a lot, could not google out how to root SGS2 on macos? help will be appreciated

• Advertisement

rai555 wrote: »
    Perhaps i missed a lot, could not google out how to root SGS2 on macos? help will be appreciated

As far as I know, it's not possible.

hey there, I have flashed checkrom and in the kitchen pro the only siyah option is 2.4 which i have 'marked for installation' but how do you actually download it so i can go into recovery and flash? doesn't seem to be giving me an option to do so.

Got as far as enjoying the ROM for a bit then tried to flash ICS via CWM and it is stuck on a bootloop. Do i have to re-do everything now again i wonder i.e there is no way to 'un-flash' that theme?
    You probably already fixed this but you can just reflash the rom. Was it an ics theme or an actual ics rom? If it was the rom you need to flash it twice before you boot

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Improbable wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's not possible.

I believe you can run virtual machine on mac and have win running, would be nice to do it straight

You probably already fixed this but you can just reflash the rom. Was it an ics theme or an actual ics rom? If it was the rom you need to flash it twice before you boot

Thanks, it was an ICS theme and tried everything (installing from kitchen pro, re flashing through CWM, clearing caches and reflashing and continuous bootloop) but eventually gave up and stuck another on it. Smashing ROM, like it very much. fairly extensive use on first cycle including a 48 minute phone call and still at 37% after 18 hours.

The little adjustment (JKays deluxe settings) are great but it would be even better if there was a toggle to stick it into GSM when on the move, although i do use the data toggle quite a bit. For me the absolute key was to stop the Android OS bug in VillianRom which was accounting for anything up to 50% of my battery usage.

I ended up flashing the Siyah 2.4.1 kernal as i didn't see the one you mentioned listed in Kitchen Pro. I'm seeing speedmod get a lot of love too on some forums.
    Cheers again for the heads-up

rai555 wrote: »
    I believe you can run virtual machine on mac and have win running, would be nice to do it straight

From what I've seen, there are driver recognition issues when you try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

This thread seems really daunting.....

Does the phone have to be "rooted" first to install a ROM?
    All I really want is to change the look of the Icons and interface and remove a lot of the rubbish apps Three seem to think I need and won't let me remove.

Is there a simple process for the short attention spanned or does it involve really making an effort to learn all the techy terms and brain frazzling procedures?

Thanks for any help.....even if the news is bad for me! :o

This thread seems really daunting.....

Does the phone have to be "rooted" first to install a ROM?
    All I really want is to change the look of the Icons and interface and remove a lot of the rubbish apps Three seem to think I need and won't let me remove.

Is there a simple process for the short attention spanned or does it involve really making an effort to learn all the techy terms and brain frazzling procedures?

Thanks for any help.....even if the news is bad for me! :o

Yes, the phone needs to be rooted. I thought it was very daunting too but after a bit of reading, I got my head around it. It's really not as complicated as you think at first.

Try having a read HERE. If you're still finding it too complicated, post again here and I'll walk you through it in more simple terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

There is Heimdall for OSX (and Linux possibly not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

Lads,

Just looking for some advice.

Fairly comfortable with most modding but noticed something few days ago.

Downloaded a LIVE WALLPAPER and went to set it as my wallpaper but didn't have that option.

Hold down on the HOMESCREEN and the ADD TO SCREEN menu popped up.

Selected WALLPAPER but no option then to select live wallpapers.

I'm running SENSATION ROM 1.9,ANDROID 2.35,GO LAUNCHER EX,SIYAH 2.4.2 KERNAL.

All help greatly apprecaited.

• Advertisement

Anyone else had any issues with battery drain while on wifi? Flashed to CheckRom with Siyah 2.4.1 and KI4 modem recently and the battery life is amazing on data but it eats battery on wifi - see someone on XDA started a thread on the same topic but with no answer as of yet. Suggestions?

Advertisement