Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

tinner777 wrote: »
    Ballyvourney?? Similar distance for you?

Give them a call they are nice people to deal with

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Jees lads! I've decided to try and move from coal to wood for our stove but I didnt realise it was going to be this tricky :D

We have a Stanley Erin stove with a back boiler. Been burning coal for long time but its just a mess. Coal dust in the garage, coal dust in the house at times, pretty bad suit build up in stove and chimney.

So figure its time to give wood a shot. Always had it in my head that wood would burn too quick and not give us the same heat to the water and the room, and would be more expensive. We usually get 12 x 40kg bags of coal for around €190 and light the fire nearly every day at the minute.

What I want to do is get a small enough order initially to see how we get on and then order a bigger crate if we're happy with it. Storage isnt much of an issue as we have a big enough shed.

Some great advice on this thread. Gearing towards Ash and some Rocket Blaze logs. Just need to find the best place to order now. We're based up outside Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Used some of the Thorntons Eco Blaze logs last night in the big stove. Great heat of them and quick to take off but the dont last long. Great for getting a fire going and when water temp in back boiler is up, switch to dry timber and briquettes to keep the heat going. I would not likme to see 5-6 of those Eco logs ablaze in a stove, id say they would be lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Ordered the hardwood option here for €245 delivered.

https://surefirewood.ie/collections/surefire-special-offers/products/kiln-dried-firewood-super-jumbo-4-kindling-savers?variant=30983665516598

Just built a firewood rack under the outdoor lean to, €20 for the timber and an hour putting it together. Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

chris_ie wrote: »

What I want to do is get a small enough order initially to see how we get on and then order a bigger crate if we're happy with it. Storage isnt much of an issue as we have a big enough shed.

Some great advice on this thread. Gearing towards Ash and some Rocket Blaze logs. Just need to find the best place to order now. We're based up outside Letterkenny.

The company Surefirewood is in Fermanagh and have lots of different sizes of bags of ash if you just want to start off with a test order. They deliver nationally anyway. If you look back up the thread from about 2 weeks back theres a few suppliers of rocket blazers mentioned too.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The company Surefirewood is in Fermanagh and have lots of different sizes of bags of ash if you just want to start off with a test order. They deliver nationally anyway. If you look back up the thread from about 2 weeks back theres a few suppliers of rocket blazers mentioned too.

Cheers, I see the bags they have seem to be mixes? I've seen that Birch can be quite sparky therefore not ideal for stoves (how true that is, I'm not sure).

I've ordered the sample pack of Rocket Blaze from EcoLogs.

Cheers, I see the bags they have seem to be mixes? I've seen that Birch can be quite sparky therefore not ideal for stoves (how true that is, I'm not sure).

yeah I think they are mixes but there isnt a lot between oak and ash when it comes to the heat it produces and how long it burns. And yeah birch can be sparky when the bark of it burns and it burns quicker than oak or ash. If you want ash only then the likes of Co-op, Topline, Monahans seem all to deliver nationally. Avoid buying net bags from petrol stations or garden centres as a tester, they are typically not the best wood and wont give you a good idea of whats what.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

The mix that I got from surefire wood contained no birch whatsoever . Ash, beech, oak and chestnut, all good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Would anyone take a guess at the weight of the 80x80 bags from monahans? I've been buying 10kg bags of Ash at 6euro a bag but they were going quickly testing out the fire recently. I would only tend to light it one or 2 nights a week and would easily use a bag and a bit over an evening.

Rather than having a heap sat up that might not be used for over a year I was thinking of the 80x80 but trying to compare it v buying the 6euro 10kg bags as needed, or should I just be looking at the 1.2m crate and figuring out where to store it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

2.2 arrived from Bio Glow this morning. All stacked in the garage now. Deluge came on as soon as the driver left so some got a bit wet.

Internal dimensions 175 x 99 x 101. I had imagined there would be more in the load. They're good at the camera angles in the promo shots.

The vary in size. About a third, possibly up to half are too big for my stoves, which is a problem.

That's 96 bales of Rocket Blaze and the 2.2 of oak in. We'll see how that goes, hopefully it's enough.

Same delivery driver for both. Fair play to him, he drove down the steep incline into my driveway with this forty foot and had a difficult turning but he got the pallets right to my garage door.

Thanks to everyone in here who gave adivce. First time going with wood and got great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Got 1.2m of kiln dried beech from tj omahony. €220 delivered. Looks like they deliver to about a dozen counties. Normally get ash but am happy with this. Also the logs have a lovely golden colour when stacked inside the house.

Would echo what previous posters have said that birch burns very well but quickly and the bark peels all over the place.
    Not a huge fan of oak because the flame is not as bright as ash or beech and oak seems to splinter a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Heighway61 wrote: »
    2.2 arrived from Bio Glow this morning. All stacked in the garage now. Deluge came on as soon as the driver left so some got a bit wet.

Internal dimensions 175 x 99 x 101. I had imagined there would be more in the load. They're good at the camera angles in the promo shots.

The vary in size. About a third, possibly up to half are too big for my stoves, which is a problem.

That's 96 bales of Rocket Blaze and the 2.2 of oak in. We'll see how that goes, hopefully it's enough.

Same delivery driver for both. Fair play to him, he drove down the steep incline into my driveway with this forty foot and had a difficult turning but he got the pallets right to my garage door.

Thanks to everyone in here who gave adivce. First time going with wood and got great help.

Did you pay €390 for the timber? I calculated that at 1.74 cbm, I think that’s expensive v Monahan’s

Can I ask where you got the rocket blaze? Cheers

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Got 1.2m of kiln dried beech from tj omahony. €220 delivered. Looks like they deliver to about a dozen counties. Normally get ash but am happy with this. Also the logs have a lovely golden colour when stacked inside the house.

Would echo what previous posters have said that birch burns very well but quickly and the bark peels all over the place.
    Not a huge fan of oak because the flame is not as bright as ash or beech and oak seems to splinter a lot.

In terms of burning how does beech compare to ash?

5500 wrote: »
    Would anyone take a guess at the weight of the 80x80 bags from monahans? I've been buying 10kg bags of Ash at 6euro a bag but they were going quickly testing out the fire recently. I would only tend to light it one or 2 nights a week and would easily use a bag and a bit over an evening.

Rather than having a heap sat up that might not be used for over a year I was thinking of the 80x80 but trying to compare it v buying the 6euro 10kg bags as needed, or should I just be looking at the 1.2m crate and figuring out where to store it

This is only a rough guess and I would ring up Monahans to ask them the weight so you can be sure on your comparison. But some fuel sites advertise a Im3 crate as being 400kg of logs. An 80x80x80 bag is 0.5m3. But I think its best to ring up to get a weight as there are variables such as how much fresh air is in the bag due to the logs not being hand stacked and they would be with a crate.

I think though you need more wood that a 80cm bulk bag. I burn two fires a week with three the odd week if its very cold and last winter I had a 1.2m3 crate which just lasted me until Paddys Day and then I didnt buy anymore. I think if burning two fires a week then you will need a crate, if you order a bulk bag you'll be ordering another one in mid January or so.

Thanks for the advice, crate it is so, just need to decide between Tj's beech for 220 or monahans ash/oak at 270

vicwatson wrote: »
    Did you pay €390 for the timber? I calculated that at 1.74 cbm, I think that’s expensive v Monahan’s

Can I ask where you got the rocket blaze? Cheers
    Yep, 390. Could have got it cheaper had I been quicker, or probably elsewhere but needed to buy.

Got the Rocket Blaze from ecologs.ie

Thats one thing I have a slight concern over, is delivery. We have plenty space in the garage for a pallet. We have gravel driveway (poor shape at the bottom) but concrete around the house. If they can get to the concrete then all is good. Depends on the size of the lorry delivering!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Has anyone tried these all star premium stove logs

https://www.allstarheating.ie/collections/eco-fuel

I got a starter pack from topline out of boredom, the heat output wasn’t great and the log didn’t last long at all, it reminded me of the euro fire logs from spar

The internet isn’t for everyone

Thats one thing I have a slight concern over, is delivery. We have plenty space in the garage for a pallet. We have gravel driveway (poor shape at the bottom) but concrete around the house. If they can get to the concrete then all is good. Depends on the size of the lorry delivering!
    Had the same concern. Both places I bought from said no unusual driveways/spaces etc, that the pallet would be left at the kerb in that case. I have a steep incline down into my gravel drive and was resigned to having the pallet left on the road.

The driver was great and drove his 40-foot down and got the pallets right next to my garage door. He did have a bit of bother with the fork lift on the gravel for a bit.

You're in Donegal? Duffy's will probably be delivering to you. That's who delivered to me and they were great, as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Any recommendations for 1m3 of kiln dried oak delivered? My usual two suppliers are out of stock and I'm hesitant in taking a gamble elsewhere without a recommendation, given some terrible experiences in the past with poor quality fuel. I am based in Dublin if that makes a difference. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ciarsd wrote: »
    Any recommendations for 1m3 of kiln dried oak delivered? My usual two suppliers are out of stock and I'm hesitant in taking a gamble elsewhere without a recommendation, given some terrible experiences in the past with poor quality fuel. I am based in Dublin if that makes a difference. Thanks

Would you go 2cbm? If so then monahans

Or Monahans also has 1.2m3 crates of oak or ash for 270, I would recommend them for wood quality anyway, had no problems with how the order last winter burnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Thanks I will give them a call tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »
    doesn't seem to be online, but the limerick coopstore had 2 of these for €360

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Crate-Of-Kiln-Dried-Beech-Logs-430kg-0051916

this is still available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

5500 wrote: »
    In terms of burning how does beech compare to ash?

Seems similar to me. The logs are a little smaller so have to turn down the air a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Stallingrad, how did your rack for holding timber turn out, any photos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Garden-Storage/Outdoor-Storage/Toomax-Storer-Plus-Xl--1270l-1799445

Bought this yesterday.

Is it safe to order 1.3 m3 of woods for this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cyborg

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Garden-Storage/Outdoor-Storage/Toomax-Storer-Plus-Xl--1270l-1799445

Bought this yesterday.

If stacked carefully it should be OK, I wouldn't be throwing the blocks into it as you will damage the sides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Bought this yesterday.

Dimensions translate to roughly 1.5m3, so like cyborg said, stacked neatly should fit easy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Bought this yesterday.

Have the keter version great job for storing blocks but some advice try and stack as much as you can with the doors closed because when you go higher the blocks will widen the structure doors wouldn't close for me.. Had to empty and re stack with doors closed

Advertisement