Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Put some weight on the bar!!! They were far too controlled and easy looking to be max attempts.

Seriously good going. You'd put up a nice total now.

180/140/220 right now, probably 195-200/145/240 in march/april if you decided to give it a go!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Is that mark on your right shin (3-5 seconds into the 220kg lift) from the bar scraping up your leg?

It is funny seeing the guy standing behind you viewing the little celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

BossArky wrote: »
    Is that mark on your right shin (3-5 seconds into the 220kg lift) from the bar scraping up your leg?

Not originally. It's a 5 aside kick I got but I keep ripping the scab off with the bar when I'm deadlifting and it won't heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You could try wearing long socks for a few weeks (and a belt, get you ready for competition :pac: )

Friday 14/11/08 RE Upper

Hammer Strength Bench:
    100kg

HammerStrength LoRo
    90kg

Wide Neutral Grip Lat Pulldowns:
    75kg

Preacher Curl Machine:
    25kg
    15kg

Decided to change me RE exerc ise to the Hammerstrength just for a change.

Squat update... c'mon. I've been dying to hear how it went!

Saturday 15/11/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    125kg x 20

Pull Thrus:
    87.5kg +5kg plate (your trick works on the cable crossover too Hanley)

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5kg (full stack)

Vid of the squats:

Funnily wasn't as tough as last weeks, must have just had more energy.

THAT'S THE FCUKING STUFF!!

Seriously SICK squatting there. They looked sooooo easy!! I know from doing them that 20 reppers never feel easy, and it always feel like the next rep's a gamble, but you looked good for a **** ton more. I kid you not when I say 140 x20 there's for you be the year end.

And everyone, please take note, Kev has 20 rep'd more than me now. We did the same weight, but he did it beltless and at a lighter bodyweight.

Serious respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ladowack

Great squatting Kev, you should be fit for a 200 if not 205kg squat with a belt. you'd have the same total as me but i'm heavier, your seriously ate'in into the training, best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Hey Kev, just stopping by after someone put me onto this in the motivation thread. First off congrats on the log - your videos are inspiring!

I was just wondering what you make of doing the high-rep squats? I've been trying to follow the Starting Strength programme, have kind of hit a lull, and am looking for ideas on how to shake my training up a bit in the new year.

Also, what are your thoughts on mixing up the max effort and repetitive effort?

Thanks
    Neal

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    Hey Kev, just stopping by after someone put me onto this in the motivation thread. First off congrats on the log - your videos are inspiring!

I was just wondering what you make of doing the high-rep squats? I've been trying to follow the Starting Strength programme, have kind of hit a lull, and am looking for ideas on how to shake my training up a bit in the new year.

Also, what are your thoughts on mixing up the max effort and repetitive effort?

Thanks
    Neal

Thanks man.

As you can see I only started the 20 reppers a month ago. It's kinda my Repetitive effort now. I'm doing them to try an add mass to my legs which are my body-shape's weak point so I need it. Also they're great to get you used to grinding out tough reps, the last 5 reps all feel like I'm lifting my 1RM. I'd highly recommend them.

I don't really get the second question. Are you asking why I do the routine I do?

If so the Max effort is about putting my body under the max load it can take and getting stronger as a result and the Rep effort is about building some muscle to get stronger with. The clay to mould the statue if you like.

You're getting everyone onto the high rep squats now....

i was actually talking to a couple of the lads in Hercs and we wre saying how great high (10-12) reps were because as you get to reps 8 and 9 you really have to grind them out, but they're light enough that you can. Whereas you couldn't really grind out reps 3, 4 and 5 on a 5 repper ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Thanks for the info Kev. Question to you both - what % of say a 5x5 should you be looking at going for 12 reps? roughly - I know it's not an exact science!!

On the 2nd question, yea I'm not all that familiar with different routines to use. I started a while ago on the Starting Strength - was following it pretty well, but have slackened off a bit - the weight I was lifting then started to go backwards rather than forwards so I needed a break.
    I'll be hitting a lot more cardio over the next few weeks, but come mid-Feb I'll be looking to put on some muscle. I suppose I was just wondering how you were finding your own RE/ME programme? I've never really seen one like it, the mixing it up like that

Hanley wrote: »
    You're getting everyone onto the high rep squats now....

i was actually talking to a couple of the lads in Hercs and we wre saying how great high (10-12) reps were because as you get to reps 8 and 9 you really have to grind them out, but they're light enough that you can. Whereas you couldn't really grind out reps 3, 4 and 5 on a 5 repper ya know?

Yeah it feels great get so many grinders in one set. Like you said it's really only rep 5 in a set of 5 that makes you think you have to give it all just to get up.

joker77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Kev. Question to you both - what % of say a 5x5 should you be looking at going for 12 reps? roughly - I know it's not an exact science!!

On the 2nd question, yea I'm not all that familiar with different routines to use. I started a while ago on the Starting Strength - was following it pretty well, but have slackened off a bit - the weight I was lifting then started to go backwards rather than forwards so I needed a break.
    I'll be hitting a lot more cardio over the next few weeks, but come mid-Feb I'll be looking to put on some muscle. I suppose I was just wondering how you were finding your own RE/ME programme? I've never really seen one like it, the mixing it up like that

The % would be different for the bench, squat and deadlift. I presume you'd be talking about the squat? For one 12 rep set you'd proabably want 70 - 75 % anyway. Maybe more if you're only doing one set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

Yeah maybe these high rep squats are the way to go

Thursday 20/11/08 ME Upper

MAN FLU!!!!!!

Close grip bench
    70 x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    80 x 1 x 4
    100 x 1 x 2
    120 x 1 x 1
    130 x 1 x Miss
    122.5 x 1 x 1 Grinder

Pendlay Rows:
    70kg

JM Press
    40kg

Lat Pulldowns:
    75kg

So I missed 130 3 weeks in a row. Truth be told I shouldn't have gone for it while running a temperature and a cold sweat but I was perilously close. The 122.5kg lift was epic. I nabbed an experienced spotter who didn't take the bar off me even though from chest touch to lock out I'd say it was 10 seconds. Really got something from this workout when I could easily have been at home feeling sorry for myself drinking Lemsip.

Friday 21/11/08 ME Lower

Still have a cold

Deadlift
    120 x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    140 x 1 x 4
    160 x 1 x 3
    185 x 1 x 2
    205 x 1 x 1
    225 x 1 x 1 PR
    210 x 1 x 1
    200 x 1 x 1

Hack Squat Machine:
    100kg x 5 Holy crap that was heavy
    80kg

Good Mornings:
    102kg (picky picky)

Ab Pulldowns
    112.5kg

Great to get the pull up again. It just keeps moving for me. It is definitely belt time though I'm not feeling it in my lower back an injury would be disaster after making so much progress.

Never used a Hack Squat machine before. Loaded it up with 100kg thinking it would be similar to the leg press and nearly got nailed! I was saying to myself I'll add weight if I can do more than 15!!!! Some chance!

The "picky picky" is because TF has a few bars that are 22kg and really thick. They're muck, but I had no choice as the gym was fairly busy.

Nice work on the deads man, be interesting to see how things progress belted, might get a few extra kilos. Whats a hack squat machine look like? I tried doing them with a smith before but found it awkward as ****-maybe it was me that was awkward though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

kevpants wrote: »
    Weighted dips are one of my faves. I have one of these

Spud-Dip-Belt.jpg

Did you get that online from www.liftinglarge.com? How much?

I presume a dip belt is exactly the same as a pull up belt? I'm thinking about getting one cos there is only a certain amount of dumbbell weight I can hold between my ankles.

edit - found it on there for 40 usd. How do you tighten it?

Sunday 23/11/08 RE Upper

HS Bench 100kg
    x 4 (didn't rest long enough)

HS Lo Ro:
    90kg
    x 9x 8

HS Seated Press
    70kg

HS Bench Shrugs :confused:
    100kg

HS Bench Shrugs, otherwise known as pissing about. This was all done in 25 mins because of being late for something. It was also early enough in the morning and I hate them so a bit of a limp outing.

Skipping my RE Lower day this week, my cold set me back and I'm running into next week now. No 130 x 20 attempt on the squats until Friday so.

Doing ME Lower tonight, switching that to my first workout of the week instead of Bench because it's too hard to get a bench on a Monday and I need to go Mondays from now on.

Also going to get a little more consistent with my assistance exercises. I've been sampling anything and everything of late but I'm gonna stop chopping and changing so much now, I know what I like.

Main Upper assistances will be:
    JM Press, Triceps, So impressed with this movement from last week.
    DB Floor Press, Triceps, Another pressing tricep movement which IMO are superior to an extension movement.
    Pendlay Rows, Back, Pulling from static seems to hit my back better than from above the ground.
    Cable rows, Back, Hit me better than T-Bar's
    Lat Pulldowns, Back (Thickness), Hammerstrength machine not as good.

Lower Assistance:
    Good Mornings, Posterior Chain, Just an allround great exercise for getting out of a heavy squat or getting a heavy deadlift to move.
    Pull Thru's, Low back/ posterior, I bend right down into these and they blow my low back away. Hypers just don't do it for me.
    Hack Squat Machine, Quads.
    Oly bar Lunges, Quads/balance.
    RDL's, Hamstrings, If my hands aren't too torn up I like these.

Nice work on the deads man, be interesting to see how things progress belted, might get a few extra kilos. Whats a hack squat machine look like? I tried doing them with a smith before but found it awkward as ****-maybe it was me that was awkward though...

It's like an upside down leg press. Here's one:

I think theres 20kg built in resistance but I'm not counting that, just what I put on it. I always thought it was an expensive towel rack but my god can get some serious depth out of it.

BossArky wrote: »
    Did you get that online from www.liftinglarge.com? How much?

I presume a dip belt is exactly the same as a pull up belt? I'm thinking about getting one cos there is only a certain amount of dumbbell weight I can hold between my ankles.

edit - found it on there for 40 usd. How do you tighten it?

You don't!

It's weird it doesn't even clasp together at the front. The plates just hang off it and the way it's designed it rests against the front of your hips/top of your thighs. Can't explain it but the more weight you add the sturdier it gets. It's immensely comfortable. If you're ordering from there wait until the 27th of this month. They're having a sale. It's supposed to be for existing customers but I'll PM you with the promotional code.

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Let me know around the 27th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I think theres 20kg built in resistance but I'm not counting that, just what I put on it. I always thought it was an expensive towel rack but my god can get some serious depth out of it.

Its a bastard of a machine to use but it t ears your legs up something wonderful!

• Advertisement

Monday 24/11/08 ME Lower

Squat:
    100kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    110 x 1 x 4
    125 x 1 x 3
    140 x 1 x 2
    160 x 1 x 1
    180 x 1 x 1 PR
    170 x 1 x 1
    165 x 1 x 1

Good Mornings:
    100kg

Hack Squat Machine:
    80kg
    x 4 (Hack Squats after heavy squats are very different to after heavy deadlifts, lesson learned)
    40kg ATG touch and go

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5kg

Vid of the 180 x 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

Very strong, and no your bum does not look big ;)

Jesus kev that squat was flying! You look good for way way more. Well done man.

That's some pretty sick squatting. Looks like there was A LOT more there too.

Cheers all. Just realised Im right at the magic 3/4/5 combo

300lb bench: I'm 308
    400lb squat: I'm 397
    500lb deadlift: I'm 496

Did it beltless too just to remind you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

400lb squat: I'm 397
    500lb deadlift: I'm 496

Pfft yore 3 and 4lbs off respectively. Weakling*

*Obviously not really.

Fantastic squat kev, you make it look easy.

Wednesday 26/11/08 ME Upper

Incline Bench
    65kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    75 x 1 x 4
    85 x 1 x 3
    95 x 1 x 2
    105 x 1 x 1
    115 x 1 x 1
    125 x miss
    115 x 3 x 1

Pendlay rows:
    80kg

JM Press:
    40kg

Seated Cable Row:
    70kg

Right. I'm missing lifts all over the place on upper day. I think I need a rethink. Granted this bug has mutated from headcold to chest infection to stomach bug and I spent Wednesday puking but 115 felt strong. I got 4 singles out of it FFS. I think instead of hitting a PR on the Incline next week I'm gonna try for a few 120 singles (122.5 is my PR on it). Really Incline PR's mean nothing anyway it's all about carrying strength over to the flat bench so hopefully plenty of heavy singles will be as advantageous as a true 1RM.

Thursday 27/11/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    130kg x 20

This is all I could manage. This bug is wrecking me. The gym started spinning and I had to run back to the changing rooms because the contents of my stomach was eeking up my neck. Queue sitting staring at the floor for 20 mins trying to get the strength back to actually get changed out of my gym gear.

I need rest. No RE Upper day this week, taking Fri, Sat, Sun off and hopefully whatever is doing this to me will be purged. I'll rest easy knowing I got the 130 x 20 though.

Jesus dude if you got 130x20 done then that's a good day in itself. Hope you feel better soon, take care of yourself and try to eat well I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Thursday 27/11/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    130kg x 20

This is all I could manage. This bug is wrecking me. The gym started spinning and I had to run back to the changing rooms because the contents of my stomach was eeking up my neck. Queue sitting staring at the floor for 20 mins trying to get the strength back to actually get changed out of my gym gear.

I need rest. No RE Upper day this week, taking Fri, Sat, Sun off and hopefully whatever is doing this to me will be purged. I'll rest easy knowing I got the 130 x 20 though.

Its not a bug..............you are just turning into an animal!

130 x20... you're just showing off now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

Legend, 130 x 20. Give me your discipline

Its not a bug..............you are just turning into an animal!
    Hanley wrote: »
    130 x20... you're just showing off now!
    Legend, 130 x 20. Give me your discipline

Thanks lads. In fairness 130 x 20 is as hard for me as others doing 70 or 80 x 20 so I don't deserve any extra praise for it. It feels like a challenge now to get to 140.

Monday 1/12/08 ME Lower

Squat:
    120 x 1 x 4
    130 x 1 x 3
    150 x 1 x 2
    165 x 1 x 1
    185 x 1 x 1 PR
    170 x 2 x 1
    165 x 1 x 1

Hack Squat Machine:
    50kg

Pull Thrus:
    87.5kg + 7.5kg in plates

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5kg

Man-Flu begone!! Felt strong tonight.

Ordered my belt and singlet. Ended up going for this one instead of the Inzer Toro%20Power%20Belt%201%20(2).JPG

The reason being Inzer wanted.... $88 in shipping to send it over!!! Was it being delivered in a helicopter made entirely from diamonds!?

LiftingLarge.com are sending it and the singlet for €100 inc shipping so not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

whats your bodyweight pants? thats some uber strong suatting

• Advertisement

whats your bodyweight pants? thats some uber strong suatting

104kg last time I checked. Hoping the belt will add a few kgs as well. I'll probably just end up cracking a rib though.

na ya be fine...if i havent killed myself maxing by now you wont either...good spotters and your grand...if you cant find good spotters....find some ham's least then if you fail you will have done the world a favour and removed 2 more idiots from it...

P.S get used to the belt and you will make bits of 200kg...ive got 20kg out of a belt...

Another squat PR... that's awesome. Well done man!!

Inzer can be greedy cnuts when it comes to shipping. They send everything by courier whereas liftingarge use USPS. And they still tend to arrive after the same length of time!!

Procrastinate
    pro⋅cras⋅ti⋅nate   [proh-kras-tuh-neyt, pruh-]
    verb, -nat⋅ed, -nat⋅ing.
    –verb (used without object)
    1. to defer action; delay: to procrastinate until an opportunity is lost.
    –verb (used with object)
    2. to put off till another day or time; defer; delay.

So many workouts to put up here now. Here goes...

Thursday 04/12/08 ME Upper

Incline Bench:

60kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    70 x 1 x 4
    80 x 1 x 3
    90 x 1 x 2
    100 x 1 x 1
    110 x 1 x 1
    120 x 2 x 1
    115 x 2 x 1

Chins:
    x 2 and a meh

Military Press (strict)
    70kg

Seated DB Powercleans:
    20 kg DB's
    x 5 (too heavy, my bad elbow flaring up again)
    15kg

Incline Bench felt strong and I got plenty of heavy singles in. I drastically need my scheduled Xmas break now but if I take it now I'll feck things up time wise. Plow on so.

Friday 05/12/08 RE Lower

NEW BELT!!!

Squat:
    70g x 8
    70kg x 8
    135kg x 17 my everest!

Good mornings:
    100kg

Weighted incline situps:
    10kg plate on chest

Seems I hit my limit with the 20 reppers. Even though I made a balls of the attempt, it was my first ever set in my new belt, I don't think it cost me 3 reps. Maybe just 1 or max 2. I raced through 10 reps while paying more attention to how the belt felt than anything else. Then I stood there thinking "Bollox" and knew I was a spent force.

Gonna do a few weeks of front squatting for RE day and come back to the 20's and push for 140 x 20.

Saturday 06/12/08 RE Upper

Brothers home gym

Flat Bench:
    87.5kg

Pendlay rows:
    80kg

JM Press:
    40kg

Barbell Bicep curls:
    25kg

Elbows really badly sore again. I think sleep, mince pies and a couch are the only solution at this stage. Come on Xmas deload/sloth!

Tuesday 09/12/08 ME Lower

First heavy squats in the belt:

110 x 1 x 4
    130 x 1 x 3
    150 x 1 x 2
    170 x 1 x 1 (with belt now on)
    190 x 1 x 1 PR
    180 x 3 x 1

RDL's
    120kg
    x 7 (grip giving out)

Hack Squat Machine:
    60kg and a harder setting (6th hole on platform elevation)

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5kg

190 was so smooth. I didn't even lose it forward a bit like I ALWAYS have on my PR attempts to date. Thank you belt. It's not putting pressure on my ribs either which is nice (this may be because I am a fat fúck). I've adopted a slightly wider grip as well, my shoulder flexibility clearly sucks and is putting pressure on my elbows.

I won't be heavy squatting again until the new year but I'm going to start cycling ME lifts every 2 weeks rather than 3 and see how that goes. I think a 200kg squat is on the cards.

• Advertisement

Thursday 11/12/08 ME Upper

Incline Bench
    60kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    70 x 1 x 4
    80 x 1 x 3
    90 x 1 x 2
    105 x 1 x 1
    115 x 1 x 1
    125 x 1 x spotter touch
    120 x 1 x spotter touch

Pendlay rows:
    80kg

JM Press:
    40kg

Face Pulls: (easy on my elbows)
    60kg

Reverse Barbel Curls:15kg (elbow pain prevention attempt :o)

I'm really thinking of ditching the Incline bench as a ME exercise. All it seems to do is flare up injuries and make me miss attempts. I don't get how I easily did 2 singles on 120 last week with good bar speed to getting stuck at 125kg again!

I think my bench is going to need shaking up to get over 140kg so I may have to be creative with a new exercise.

I'm thinking of maybe introducing floor presses, buying some bands and introducing flat bench with bands or possibly flat bench pause presses. Anyone got any suggestions on what may be the best option?

The floor presses might be tricep overkill for a raw lifter considering I'm already cycling close grip presses and include JM's as part of my assistance work. The bands mightn't work with the TF benches (possible nowhere to wrap them around). I don't even know if pause benching is used as a ME exercise but it might make me stronger off the bottom with heavy weights????

EDIT: Gonna make a thread on this question

Advertisement