Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Why I did not report my rapist"

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

i dislike liking the posts above, i wish it was different,

what is giving me great hope that some women can see the kindness,empathic,humans that are men

in my soul thats a true feminist

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Omackeral wrote: »

I honestly find it very insulting tbh. Rape culture is not a thing here in Ireland. We imprison rapists. We as a people do not accept rape. I bet she can't name one Irish case of rape in today's society where everyone in Ireland said 'She asked for it' or 'Ah well' or where the victim was bashed unequivocally over her rapist and to top it off, the rapist served no jail time. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have yet to come across that.

I'm gonna go deeper on this. I work as a Prison Officer. Rapists in prison are seen as the lowest of the low. They are scum. Murderers are miles above them. What does that tell you? Apart from Subversive Republicans (and that's largely political), Sex Offenders are the only category of prisoner requiring their own prison. Imagine that, their own prison because even the dregs of decent society won't accept them. Rapists aren't accepted in decent society and are just as much not accpeted in indecent society.

There ya go radfems, I just dispelled your rape culture theory.

+1!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LightlyGo

Well it's back to business as usual. Prentending to care about eating disorders while body shaming models.

What was the body shaming?

I looked on her twitter and saw she shared a pic of a Zara ad? Was that it? If so I don't think she was body shaming them. I think it was more a comment on the expectations advertising places on women. I for one would like to see the average woman and the average man better represented in our media and advertising.

I'm not addressing this at you Jameorahiely.

She isn't all bad or the worst person who has ever lived or anything though. I think she made a massive mistake with the rape thing and has some off the wall views but you could pick through any of our online presences over a course of years and create a self serving monster and a hypocrite with enough careful editing.
    I think she can make some salient points on some issues from what I've seen looking through the last few days in terms of mental health awareness and body positivity. She's far from a perfect person though. She's not what's wrong with the modern world herself though, that people are tuning in desperate for views of just anyone off the street with a phone is what's wrong.

It's probably hypocritical of me myself but I think that maybe we can disagree with her views without requiring a complete denouncement of her entire character or her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Skyfarm wrote: »

what is giving me great hope that some women can see the kindness,empathic,humans that are men

Secured in the notion of a "rape culture" is the stipulation that considers all men to be rapists. I do not want to live in a society which sees my brother, father, and boyfriend as rapists. This rape culture theory disgusts me. Something needs to happen as it's a seriously damaging supposition and one that I do not subscribe to.

But to oppose of such an unfair concept means I'm betraying women apparently, and denouncing my gender. I've been called a Man's Rights Activist by RMC because I oppose her views. I'm not a MRA,(or am I? Who knows) but if I was, is that meant to be an insult? I don't get it. Do men not have rights that need advocating as well? Or is it always just women whom are treated unfairly/oppressed/exploited?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

anna080 wrote: »

But to oppose of such an unfair concept means I'm betraying women apparently, and denouncing my gender. I've been called a Man's Rights Activist by RMC because I oppose her views. I'm not a MRA, but if I was, is that meant to be an insult? I don't get it. Do men not have rights that need advocating as well?

Spot on as usual. Is someone looking for Father's rights an MRA? If so, stick me in that bracket.

• Advertisement

I find that a problem with these type of people is that they are obsessed with throwing out labels. In reality, people's interests can overlap. Not everything has to be definitive or has to have extremes, shades of gray can be fine...up to and including 50 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jthreehats

She replied to a YouTube comment on her page, a video called 'positive vibes only'
    Comment:
    "Didn't you recently block a heap of people on a recent thread of yours because they didn't share the same opinion as you and your followers?
    Jump on and step outside the echo chamber you've built "

Her response:
    "Actually no, I didn't – I blocked a few people on Twitter who (a) had never interacted with me before and (b) got involved in a discussion I was upset about and tired of, approx five days after the discussion had (to my mind) ended. I'm perfectly happy to have the chats with people, but at a certain point, people tweeting "you're confused about consent and clearly made this up" aren't trying to have a discussion, they're just trying to shout me down – and I'm not obliged to listen. (They can keep shouting though; blocking someone on Twitter isn't cutting off their right to free speech, it's just exercising my right not to listen.)

I also deleted one person's – ONE – comment on an Instagram post, because it went something like "you are a narcissistic, self-obsessed dickhead with a victim complex". Again, not contributing to any discussion and just rude.

After much thought, I deleted two whole POSTS from my Instagram account, as I decided they were ill-advised (pictures of me crying, the more people said they were ridiculous, the more cringe I felt so decided it was wise to remove them). I then got accused of deleting them in order to get rid of the comments, which wasn't the case.

I haven't deleted any comments on my blog or Facebook page, and have replied to a few clarifying similar points that you're bringing up. I did hide ONE comment on my Facebook page, for less than 24 hours, before un-hiding it. I didn't delete a single one.

Like I said, I was perfectly happy to have a few civilised back and forths with people. However, I won't be getting involved in discussions where anonymous people hide behind usernames and feel free to say whatever they want – that's not debate IMO, which is why I haven't got involved in the Boards discussion. (As it happens, I haven't posted on boards in a couple of months, for that very reason.)

I get that people are angry that I shared my perspective on something that happened in my life, and they are free to disagree with said perspective, but I'm not obliged to answer questions about it, especially when the majority of them seem to be: "Did you kiss him? How long did you kiss him for? Why didn't you shout? Could you not have asked for help?"

I hope that clears things up."

(total lies btw as I've watched her delete loads of posts including my own.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I just rolled my eyes so hard I'm hoping it doesn't bring on an epileptic seizure

I find it ignorant that she said "I blocked people five days after the discussion had ended".. Maybe some people didn't read it straight away? Is there a time limit where we can only discuss it for one day maximum? Can people only be offended by something for 24hrs? Irresponsible of her to suggest people can't approach her for clarification on something so offensive and morally ambiguous because she's over talking about it after 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

pilly wrote: »
    Very measured and thought out post Jack except for the bit I've highlighted. What you're effectively saying is we should believe anyone who says they were raped?

No. What I'm saying is that I'm not going to contradict someone who tells me they have been raped. It's not the same thing as saying I believe them at all. What anyone else does when someone tells them they've been raped, is up to them.

pilly wrote: »
    So lets just say hypothetically a woman whom you've had consensual sex with in the past all of a sudden says you raped her? Do you still believe that you can't tell her she hasn't been raped because she "says" that she has been?

Doesn't hold water when all of sudden it's you, your son, your best friend etc.

No need to be hypothetical about it, it happens:

The person who is innocent could remind you that you are responsible for your own thoughts. That is of course if they actually cared enough about gossip, rumours and speculation that judged them to be guilty outside of a court of law. When I was falsely accused, there were people so 'wary' of me that I was coming home one night from work and was set upon by a mob looking to "teach me a lesson". What started as a girl trying to gain favour among her peer group by telling them she had slept with me, ended up with her being pressured into accusing me of rape. I knew the case would go nowhere because I had been in work at the time she was suggesting the events had taken place, so I didn't have any worries about being able to prove my innocence in court.

I didn't entertain speculation, rumours and gossip even among people who were my friends at the time, one of whom even suggested "does she know you're gay?", hell that was the first I'd heard of it either, but their assumption too was based upon what they knew of gay men (I walk with a limp because of a birth defect, not because I had a busy weekend!).

It didn't however "ruin my life", and the episode didn't ruin the girls life who falsely accused me of rape. We've actually since put the episode behind us and become friends, because I had no interest in seeing her condemned by anyone for her actions either.

There's always far more to these scenarios and situations in real life than the simplistic scenario laid out by the OP and if anyone were "wary" of me for because I was accused of rape and the case went nowhere, I genuinely wouldn't care that much as that person just wouldn't be worth my time.

And not once did I ever utter the words - "You weren't raped".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Secured in the notion of a "rape culture" is the stipulation that considers all men to be rapists. I do not want to live in a society which sees my brother, father, and boyfriend as rapists. This rape culture theory disgusts me. Something needs to happen as it's a seriously damaging supposition and one that I do not subscribe to.

But to oppose of such an unfair concept means I'm betraying women apparently, and denouncing my gender. I've been called a Man's Rights Activist by RMC because I oppose her views. I'm not a MRA,(or am I? Who knows) but if I was, is that meant to be an insult? I don't get it. Do men not have rights that need advocating as well? Or is it always just women whom are treated unfairly/oppressed/exploited?

While Mans Rights Activist should not be a pejorative, unfortunately the actions of the men in that movement make it so. Usually, MRA is used as an insult, and is often thrown at women who take the male side of the argument in online gender war debates. You usually find this a lot on Twitter or on Reddit because it is mostly an American thing. That was why I found it strange that MRA be used to shut down discussion on an Irish forum, because to the best of my knowledge the MRA don't really exist in Ireland in any official or unofficial form. At most, there are a few MGTOW (a sub group) or "Red Pillers" (another sub-group) scattered around the country who have bought into American culture wars a bit too heavy, and these would mostly be keyboard activists. So, while I have no doubt there are heads in this country who subscribe to it, they would not be an active movement as such and very few in number.

I think things like fathers rights are really important issues. However, the MRA are to men, what Tumblr feminism is to women. Does more harm than good, and is mostly lead by a bunch of numptys with axes to grind. They certainly don't do much for fathers rights in the US where they do have a presence. I am not sure how big fathers rights movements are in this country (aside from the Rose of Tralee stage invasion) but they don't seem to get much airtime (if any). That is a shame and something that needs to be looked at.

Just as an aside, the MRA are what happens when a movement suppresses dissent and enters its own self congratulating echo chamber. What happened was, back the 1970s, the MLM (Mens Liberation Movement) was founded by academics in the US and its aim was to be an egalitarian movement set up to emancipate men from traditional gender roles. The founders of the movement knew that society was going to change when women started joining the workforce, hence it was hoped the movement could offer an outlet for young men who might need guidance in a world where traditional norms were changing. I must add, at this stage, the MLM would have been on pretty good terms with feminist groupings as both wished to further the cause of their respective genders by working together.

So far so good, right?

Anyways, sometime around 1975-76 the more conservative factions of the MLM started causing a bit of internal strife in the movement. The move towards proper egalitarianism was a big no-no for them. In essence, they wanted male supremacy. This caused a split within the MLM between conservatives and liberals. The pro-feminist liberal elements split off, but instead of forming another grouping, most absorbed themselves into various 70s feminist movements. The conservatives went on to become the MRA. Hence, todays MRA is what you get when you have 40 years of an echo chamber for male supremacist "ideas". The MRA exist today in a wide subset of groupings (manosphere, red pill, MGTOW, Return of Kings etc), but all these can trace their lineage back to the split in the 70s of the MLM. They all spout the same tired tropes and warped "philosophies" with a few odd changes thrown in here and there.

TLDR? Being called an MRA is not a compliment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

LightlyGo wrote: »
    What was the body shaming?

I looked on her twitter and saw she shared a pic of a Zara ad? Was that it? If so I don't think she was body shaming them. I think it was more a comment on the expectations advertising places on women. I for one would like to see the average woman and the average man better represented in our media and advertising.

I'm not addressing this at you Jameorahiely.

She isn't all bad or the worst person who has ever lived or anything though. I think she made a massive mistake with the rape thing and has some off the wall views but you could pick through any of our online presences over a course of years and create a self serving monster and a hypocrite with enough careful editing.
    I think she can make some salient points on some issues from what I've seen looking through the last few days in terms of mental health awareness and body positivity. She's far from a perfect person though. She's not what's wrong with the modern world herself though, that people are tuning in desperate for views of just anyone off the street with a phone is what's wrong.

It's probably hypocritical of me myself but I think that maybe we can disagree with her views without requiring a complete denouncement of her entire character or her career.

I mostly agree with your post except for the bit in bold.
    Obviously, she's not what's wrong with the modern world, but by going along with what's wrong, by indulging in all that cráp, and spreading it around as a public figure, she's part of the problem.

And to come back to the blog post being discussed here, look at what she spread.
    It caused a lot of upset, and rightly so.

I would really like to think that yes, she's a nice girl just going about her business, and she comes across as a nice girl, but I find it hard to blank such a serious post, and the constant new feminist rehashing of notions that have the potential to mess up young girls, and society in general.

Now of course she would view my words as the MRA (I didn't even know what that was before looking at this thread ! A little chuffed with myself for knowing some of the initials now :)) or the "enemy" putting her back into her gender role. You know, young lady, play with your blog on fashion and make up by all means, but don't talk about more serious issues.

That's not the case, I think she'd be great at tackling serious issues, she would definitely have a positive impact, and on even more followers imo, if she were able to "zoom out" from the crater she is in, where all the new feminists live. Deprogram herself, and take in more than the funnel view she's in right now.

I greatly admire journalists who are able to debate and highlight serious issues with the professionalism to keep their opinions to themselves. Sometimes you get hints and clues about their personal beliefs from an article on the side, or an oops moment in a heated debate, and it's great when that happens (for pure gossipy gratification), but it's a relief when they're able to put it aside and let their readers/viewers decide for themselves.

I've only looked at a small sample of what she does, but it looks to me as if she's attempting to do that at times, but then all that group think sticky gunk pulls her back in. The Stranger Things gunk thingy type.

However here we have been supplied with all the necessary facts and context by the person involved in a publicly shared article that I assume she deliberated over and tweaked until it reflected exactly what she needed it to say. She placed it in the public domain for the inevitable scrutiny that comes with that, aware that her story can influence also so scrutiny by a reader is even more important.

All the "necessary facts"? What was presented was a half-baked, garbled stream-of-consciousness, incoherent type musing that realistically, gave us fcukall in terms of what actually happened leading up to, or including the events of the night in question. I'd need a hell of a lot more "necessary facts" before I would be able to form any sort of an opinion as to credibility either way. To form an opinion requires that I wouldn't just take what she's written at face value, there's a hell of a lot she hasn't written in that account too. I tried yesterday going through some of her previous writings and oh dear god but fcuk me it's like looking inside the mind of an Angry Bird. It's empty. I really don't ever want to have to do that again.

Here's an account I wrote not so long ago myself. You'll probably notice I too leave out quite a lot of the details. I wish I'd wrote it better and I'm still disgusted and ashamed with myself that I read back on it and I went through that poster for a shortcut.

Now, that's still not to say that something did or didn't happen, but there's no way to determine what actually happemed, so again - I'm not prepared to tell her she wasn't raped, if she says she was.

Would you feel the same way if the man involved being labelled rapist was your brother/father/son ?

Yes I would.

I wouldn't call them a rapist myself though.

Would you feel that any person should be able to call them a rapist without question, even after they have admittedly consented to sex?

People are going to believe what they want anyway, and do what they want. That's why we have laws in place to deal with that kind of behaviour, particularly if a person actually cares enough about someone else calling them a rapist. It's up to the person calling them a rapist to make a complaint and then appear as a witness at any trial if there is found to be any merit to their claims. If the other person actually feels that badly affected by it, then if they can demonstrate they were defamed in some way, and they had deep pockets...

Such a move might be counter-productive though too and could easily backfire on them spectacularly. It would be ill-advised IMO to entertain such speculation.

The thing is while laying question at the door of a victim or someone who feels the victim of an assualt is a very unpleasant, counter intuitiive thing to do for most of us, there is another party who can bear injury once the word "rapist" is used. Saying you were raped is not like saying you are gay or ill or trans or something painful that no one else's life may be irreparably influenced by, instead it has very real consequences for another person and their family and life chances. Assuming the mantle of rape victim cannot be done just because you feel like the concept fits your reaction to an encounter. It has to retain the aspect of lack of consent, or intimidation or coercion into sex for it have any resonance. That is to the benefit of everyone ever planning to have sex and for rape victims.

LG I understand what you're saying, but here's my take on it - someone can do, and say what they like, I'm not going to stop them, they're going to do it anyway. To actually have any real consequences though for anyone but themselves, it's up to that person to make a complaint to the authorities. Without that, there's only speculation, rumours and gossip. If all your friends are speculating that you're a rapist, you need a better set of friends.

And yes, this guy should've stopped at the first no and if she continued kissing he should have clarified exactly what she wanted. He was no blameless here. He bore half the responsibility, but it doesn't make him a rapist.

Genuinely, people here are getting too hung up on a guy for which there isn't a shred of evidence he even exists.

I find it ignorant that she said "I blocked people five days after the discussion had ended".. Maybe some people didn't read it straight away? Is there a time limit where we can only discuss it for one day maximum? Can people only be offended by something for 24hrs? Irresponsible of her to suggest people can't approach her for clarification on something so offensive and morally ambiguous because she's over talking about it after 24hrs.

Yet all of this is from 15 years ago. Seems hypocritical.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like I said, I was perfectly happy to have a few civilised back and forths with people. However, I won't be getting involved in discussions where anonymous people hide behind usernames and feel free to say whatever they want – that's not debate IMO, which is why I haven't got involved in the Boards discussion. (As it happens, I haven't posted on boards in a couple of months, for that very reason.)
    Anonymous or no, people are not free to "say whatever they want" on Boards. That is false and at best a deflection. IMH it is utter BS on her part. There are near hourly examples of posters who get official top down correction if they stray into personal abuse or general rants. Indeed Boards.ie gets static all over the place precisely because it isn't a free for all.

I translate that as she doesn't want to debate, all she wants is agreement on her position anonymously or not. I'd bet the farm if someone with an anonymous Twitter handle praised her as #sobrave she'd not delete it. Debate my hoop.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Skyfarm wrote: »

women are sometimes their own worst enemy.
    I remember being part of a club abroad, and all of the members were given nicknames. All of the women were given sexually suggestive nicknames and the men were not. I didn't like this. One of the girls came to me and told me she was really upset about her nickname. I went to the chairman and complained, and what did that woman do when it was brought to the men, she didn't want to complain, she said that it was fine and just a joke.
    If you can't stand up to people you are helping no-one.

women are sometimes their own worst enemy.
    I remember being part of a club abroad, and all of the members were given nicknames. All of the women were given sexually suggestive nicknames and the men were not. I didn't like this. One of the girls came to me and told me she was really upset about her nickname. I went to the chairman and complained, and what did that woman do when it was brought to the men, she didn't want to complain, she said that it was fine and just a joke.
    If you can't stand up to people you are helping no-one.

What you were dealing with there midlandmissus, was an idiot.

They don't tend to be gender-specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I've been called a Man's Rights Activist by RMC because I oppose her views. I'm not a MRA,(or am I? Who knows) but if I was, is that meant to be an insult? I don't get it. Do men not have rights that need advocating as well? Or is it always just women whom are treated unfairly/oppressed/exploited?

I said this before, If the MRA is the male equivalent of modern day feminism then I would want nothing to do with it.

Calling out hypocrisy, double standards, misandry, plot holes in feminist victim stories does not make you an misogynist, troll or a member of the MRA.

She replied to a shed load of comments on that YouTube video.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm closing this thread now. This thread was an eye-opener and there was alot of informative discussion that took place on the subject.
    As I see it now, the thread has trickled off and the posts are more about the person and their online presence and how they are using social media, rather than the initial topic.

Please let me know if you have any queries about this, please PM myself or any of the other AH mod team.

We also have a Blogs/Social Media forum where you can discuss the merits of an online presence which is where this thread is currently at. Please pay attention to the charter if you choose to post there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement