Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭rrs

I'd drop Conor Smith. I think Madden would Dublin give more of a handful with his size, its one thing the Dublin full back line and Cluxton don't like is a high ball going in.
    Obviously wouldn't be sending in high all the time as that would be predictable , but would be an option with Madden there

When Fermangh played Dublin a few years ago. Sean Quigley caused hassle under the high ball and scored 2 goals from dropping balls

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

rrs wrote: »
    I'd drop Conor Smith. I think Madden would Dublin give more of a handful with his size, its one thing the Dublin full back line and Cluxton don't like is a high ball going in.
    Obviously wouldn't be sending in high all the time as that would be predictable , but would be an option with Madden there

When Fermangh played Dublin a few years ago. Sean Quigley caused hassle under the high ball and scored 2 goals from dropping balls

I assume we will see James Smith/ Thomas Galligan rotate between midfield and full forward, offering an aerial threat. It's not exactly the biggest ever Dublin full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I don’t know though about dropping our biggest asset in terms of pace from the forward line. Smith could be invaluable for handy marks in the wide space of Croke Park where he could get out in front of his marker.

I might get a lot of criticism but arguably I’d drop Martin Reilly to keep as an impact sub and play Madden & Smith inside. That won’t happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If Madden was to start then who would be the impact sub?

If Madden was to start then who would be the impact sub?

Martin Reilly in my plan above. Stephen Murray would also possibly be back by then. He’s a huge player to have to bring in to run at defences.

Liam Buchanan is also on the bench if you wanted a big man to throw in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Martin Reilly in my plan above. Stephen Murray would also possibly be back by then. He’s a huge player to have to bring in to run at defences.

Liam Buchanan is also on the bench if you wanted a big man to throw in there.

Is Barry Reilly in the panel?
    Always liked him.

Is Barry Reilly in the panel?
    Always liked him.

Nope. Hasn’t played for Cavan in years. Busy dairy farmer.

I see Tony McEntee appointed manager of Sligo. They must be paying good mileage.
    Mickey Harte with Louth, Enda McGinley with Antrim.
    Terry Hyland Leitrim. That will be a competive Division 4 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I’ve re watched the game 5/6 times at this stage. Martin Reilly’s performance was phenomenal. He was everywhere, he was winning balls inside, he was picking up breaks in the half back line, he was tracking back to full back, he was an outlet when we won ball deep in full back. We need that energy to compete, he’s absolutely essential.

Stephen Murray was a fantastic impact sub, has he a serious injury?

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    I’ve re watched the game 5/6 times at this stage. Martin Reilly’s performance was phenomenal. He was everywhere, he was winning balls inside, he was picking up breaks in the half back line, he was tracking back to full back, he was an outlet when we won ball deep in full back. We need that energy to compete, he’s absolutely essential.

Stephen Murray was a fantastic impact sub, has he a serious injury?

I don’t think so. Mickey said the final was coming a week too soon for him so he must be expected back soon.

Conor Brady is another with an unknown injury status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Yevon wrote: »
    I think Conor Smith has a lot to prove to show he deserves to be a consistent starter for Cavan. He won one or two balls out in front against Donegal, he had one very wayward shot on goal and turned over possession in the last few minutes. He was on and off a lot and he's still young so not being harsh on him, looks like he has the tools to get to the required level if he sticks at it and gets a bit of luck with injury.

Nothing will change now personnel wise but going into next year Mickey and Co will need to develop some sort of plan to provide a better consistent scoring threat from the inside forward line. We won't get heroics from our middle third players every game and getting out of Division 3 will be tough if we can't depend on scores from our full forwards.

In all fairness they should walk out of Div 3. Only teams that would worry you would be Longford, Tipp and Down. Win your home games and the rest and you should be promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

willabur wrote: »
    In all fairness they should walk out of Div 3. Only teams that would worry you would be Longford, Tipp and Down. Win your home games and the rest and you should be promoted

Division 3

Group North: Cavan, Derry, Fermanagh, Longford.

Group South: Limerick, Offaly, Tipperary, Wicklow.

Down are gone up to Divison 2. It will only be a short league so not much room for poor results.

Hammar wrote: »
    I assume we will see James Smith/ Thomas Galligan rotate between midfield and full forward, offering an aerial threat. It's not exactly the biggest ever Dublin full back line.

James looks like a modern midfielder, an athlete with oodles of football in him. Very excited to see him progress. Not sure I would put him in the full forward line, great option at 10 when you need big men out around the middle.

One thing I looked up yesterday was the dimensions of Croke Park Vs Armagh Gaelic Grounds. Alot of people talking about the wide open spaces in Croke Park and that a tight pitch like Armagh suits Cavan.

Armagh 143 x 88 m
    Croker 145 x 88m

Not a whole lot of difference there.

The speed of the pitch is huge though, the ball skips on the ground rather than bounces.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I think Conor Smith has a lot to prove to show he deserves to be a consistent starter for Cavan. He won one or two balls out in front against Donegal, he had one very wayward shot on goal and turned over possession in the last few minutes. He was on and off a lot and he's still young so not being harsh on him, looks like he has the tools to get to the required level if he sticks at it and gets a bit of luck with injury.

Nothing will change now personnel wise but going into next year Mickey and Co will need to develop some sort of plan to provide a better consistent scoring threat from the inside forward line. We won't get heroics from our middle third players every game and getting out of Division 3 will be tough if we can't depend on scores from our full forwards.

I think I'm correct in saying that was his Championship debut, solid display, need to give these lads a chance.

I don’t know though about dropping our biggest asset in terms of pace from the forward line. Smith could be invaluable for handy marks in the wide space of Croke Park where he could get out in front of his marker.

I might get a lot of criticism but arguably I’d drop Martin Reilly to keep as an impact sub and play Madden & Smith inside. That won’t happen though.

Conor Smith has good pace alright. Its just against Dublin you have to to take your chances, Madden has scored 1-5
    from play in the last 2 games, missed a few too but would be Cavans biggest scoring threat inside.

Smith and Madden inside would be interesting, but hard to see who you'd drop.
    Hopefully Cavan are competing with Dublin and can throw Madden on as an impact sub, if they don't start him.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KIB4Life

James looks like a modern midfielder, an athlete with oodles of football in him. Very excited to see him progress. Not sure I would put him in the full forward line, great option at 10 when you need big men out around the middle.

One thing I looked up yesterday was the dimensions of Croke Park Vs Armagh Gaelic Grounds. Alot of people talking about the wide open spaces in Croke Park and that a tight pitch like Armagh suits Cavan.

Armagh 143 x 88 m
    Croker 145 x 88m

Not a whole lot of difference there.

The speed of the pitch is huge though, the ball skips on the ground rather than bounces.

Yeah it’s a myth about Croke Park and the wide up spaces. GAA pitches have to between 130-145m in length and 80-90 m in width so there is not going to be a huge difference in the pitch sizes in most grounds, there are bigger pitches in width and length then Croke Park, but probably not as good a surface in the country and as you said that the ball is going to skids on the surface particularly if it’s a wet day and there is a wet ball.

It’s probably because how a big a stadium Croke Park is that makes it look bigger then it and makes it look bigger on the TV. I have been in the lower tiers in both the Hogan and Cusack Stand in Croke Park and also in the Upper Tiers and when your up in the upper tiers the pitch looks bigger, while whenever I have been in the lower Tiers the pitch looks remarkably smaller in both length and width which I suppose is probably stating the obvious but I can’t believe people and analysts get to
    constantly throw out something that is factually incorrect when saying the wide open spaces in Croke Park, like they say about the tightness of grounds that are actually bigger and wider then Croke Park so it just shows the level of preparation or lack of preparation by these so called analysts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

celt262 wrote: »

Division 3

Group North: Cavan, Derry, Fermanagh, Longford.

Group South: Limerick, Offaly, Tipperary, Wicklow.

Down are gone up to Divison 2. It will only be a short league so not much room for poor results.
    Is that confirmed it's split into groups?

Is that confirmed it's split into groups?

It's not . But going by geography looks the most likely.

Will it be playerd as home /away.? They plan to start the League on February 23th, making it more regional because of covid.

No pre competitions in the future. Championship to start in April.

Will it be playerd as home /away.? They plan to start the League on February 23th, making it more regional because of covid.

No pre competitions in the future. Championship to start in April.

No Single rounds. With top 2 in semi final and bottom 2 relegation play off.

I seen an article on it earlier i will try dig it out.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaas-revamped-2021-season-to-get-green-light-39797427.html

• Advertisement

KIB4Life wrote: »
      Yeah it’s a myth about Croke Park and the wide up spaces. GAA pitches have to between 130-145m in length and 80-90 m in width so there is not going to be a huge difference in the pitch sizes in most grounds, there are bigger pitches in width and length then Croke Park, but probably not as good a surface in the country and as you said that the ball is going to skids on the surface particularly if it’s a wet day and there is a wet ball.

It’s probably because how a big a stadium Croke Park is that makes it look bigger then it and makes it look bigger on the TV. I have been in the lower tiers in both the Hogan and Cusack Stand in Croke Park and also in the Upper Tiers and when your up in the upper tiers the pitch looks bigger, while whenever I have been in the lower Tiers the pitch looks remarkably smaller in both length and width which I suppose is probably stating the obvious but I can’t believe people and analysts get to
      constantly throw out something that is factually incorrect when saying the wide open spaces in Croke Park, like they say about the tightness of grounds that are actually bigger and wider then Croke Park so it just shows the level of preparation or lack of preparation by these so called analysts.

Had a chat with Tony Browne from Waterford a good few years back. Asked him why waterford could beat teams regularly but had such a terrible record in croke park. He said a couple of things. The pitch in Croker is 10 yards shorted than the one in thurles and in hurling with the long puck out this meant the world of difference with how important your half back lines was. Extra couple of yards meant you had more space in thurles.

The other thing he mentioned was if you draw a line between the black spots the pitch falls away to both sides in croke park. He said you cannot see it on TV but it does make a difference when you are playing.

Now wikipedia tells me that croker and thurles are the same length but narrower by 2 metres. So not sure about that

And the second point while it is true it slopes, its hard to imagine it makes that much difference.

I think the point made about playing against the backdrop of a 83k seater stadium probably gets into your head until you play there so often that you don't even think about it any more

The big thing about personnel though is that you have solid young players like Caoimhin McGovern, Cormac Timoney, Oisin Brady & Danny Cusack coming through. They will really add to the panel going forward. The panel also seems to be back to 40 after it had been reduced due to costs at the start of the year and that is good to see. Now that they've had that win, I can't see it being reduced again.

Let's not forget you have Niall Murray to come into the equation as well when fully fit. He can take a score.

I wouldn't agree re Division 3. We should be getting out of it regardless of having a marquee forward. Over the years we seem to play a distinct style where we attack and defend as a team. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a marquee forward but we have a lot of players who will chip away with 2-3 points per game and it all adds up.

We're putting up decent score lines in most games and that is what counts. There's still plenty of improvement in Cormac O'Reilly, Pierson & Conor Smith too - just look at how Thomas Galligan, Dara McVeety and Niall Murray have improved over the years.

I still think if we are going to build on this win and get another Ulster title in the next few years and get back to the top Divisions, we will need more from our inside line. It's been extremely blunt this year a lot of the time. If that comes from a big improvement from Cormac O'Reilly or Smith or Pierson then great, but I have yet to see anything from those 3 to suggest they will get there. The Ulster win this year doesn't negate how often lack of quality finishers in the team has let us down in the past.
      If McVeety came back that's a quick fix but that can't be counted on. Madden is still improving but inconsistent.

Will be interesting to see where Caoimhin McGovern ends up playing, he's still so young it's hard to tell how athletic he is. Where does Oisin Brady play? Is he still in St. Pats?

I think Brady plays between the half back and half forward line. Killygarry had him starting as a half forward in championship I believe and taking frees. As far as I know he's first year in college.

There's no reason an attempt couldn't be made to change one of these lads who play in the half forwards into an inside forward. Martin Reilly seems to spend a lot of his time in the full forward line now, which is where he started out for Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

With that attitude we'll limp out of Division 3 into Division 4. One brilliant result against Donegal doesn't give us the right to be over confident. Remember these same players lost to Clare in the league and were losing badly to Down & Monaghan at half time. Not to mention really struggling to put Antrim away. If we approach the league with the wrong attitude we will be in trouble - all the teams we play will now be really up for it and looking to take us down a peg or two.

Anyhow there is no point in worrying about that now as we prepare to face the Dublin juggernaut. I really hope we show them zero respect and bring a controlled physicality to the match. Kerry tried 4 or 5 high balls into the square at the start of the replay last year and Dublin dealt with each ball comfortably working the ball up the pitch to rush into 0-04 to 0-00 lead within minutes. The fact that they are weak under the high ball is essentially a myth. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try it but we need support players following in as the Dublin full back line will not allow Galligan or Madden to catch clean ball. They'll break it every time and have a sweeper waiting to mop up the loose ball and begin the counter attack.

The drawn Co final in Cavan this year, was as good as any County final live on TV this year. Some of those players didn't commit, but going forward that could change
      Patrick Lynch, Mark Stuart.

I don't think Ramor have a player on the panel bar Liam Brady? James Brady would probaly be thereabouts if willing to commit.

That's not to knock who's on the panel, but you often see in other counties when a team gets success, it makes it more appealing to play.

The way County football will be going forward its going to be a shorter season, not as drawn out as previously with training for months.

treade1 wrote: »
      . That doesn't mean we shouldn't try it but we need support players following in as the Dublin full back line will not allow Galligan or Madden to catch clean ball. They'll break it every time and have a sweeper waiting to mop up the loose ball and begin the counter attack.

Do you honestly think there is a man in this country who would be fit to stop Galligan from catching a big high one? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

celt262 wrote: »
      Do you honestly think there is a man in this country who would be fit to stop Galligan from catching a big high one? :pac:

Here here , they reckon he walked across swan lake today aswell , the mans a god

The drawn Co final in Cavan this year, was as good as any County final live on TV this year. Some of those players didn't commit, but going forward that could change
      Patrick Lynch, Mark Stuart.

I don't think Ramor have a player on the panel bar Liam Brady? James Brady would probaly be thereabouts if willing to commit.

That's not to knock who's on the panel, but you often see in other counties when a team gets success, it makes it more appealing to play.

The way County football will be going forward its going to be a shorter season, not as drawn out as previously with training for months.

Fook me, only in Cavan could we have 41 players committed to Cavan football win an Ulster championship and supporters are still talking about lads not on the panel! It’s beyond ridiculous.

These lads have worked unbelievably bad and deserve our respect and support.

Ah would you give it a rest. I'm not critical of the 41 players in there it, obviously it's a big commitment.

I'm just saying success can make it more appealingly. And it happens in lots of Counties. Galway, Roscommon have got lads back after winning Connacht titles.

But the Cavan management might want to stick with the panel going forward into 21 and that can be good too, for continuity and lads having a year's training done.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Fook me, only in Cavan could we have 41 players committed to Cavan football win an Ulster championship and supporters are still talking about lads not on the panel! It’s beyond ridiculous.

These lads have worked unbelievably bad and deserve our respect and support.

Amen. And be the holy lads, we’ve just won Ulster. And we have an all Ireland semi final. A semi final. Which means we are one of the 4 teams left in the All Ireland.

Excuse me if I don’t think this is peak Cavan to be looking to next year, the league and lads coming back.

We have a fairly big game next weekend. Could we for once as Cavan lads enjoy the now. We know from experience it doesn’t come around that often.

Next year will take care of Itself. We have an All Ireland final to look towards.

Advertisement