Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat full of carbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Breakfast was lots of different hams and cheeses (bought some great Spanish ones), lunch was pork and chicken with sweet potatoes (yesterday's left overs). I had more ham, cheese and olives later. After the gym I had strawberry milk with protein.

A very hard session at the gym today. The warmup was around 50 press ups, both wide and triceps ones and then we had 3 sets of 2mins intervals of 8 exercises with the worst of all being the one with the huge ropes that you have to move up and down, no idea how it's called but it was brutal, it left me breathless in less than 30secs.

The carbs after the workouts now seem to work, my legs were in much better shape today than last week. It might also be that was on a high cadence for most of the duration of the spin, around 100.

Hungry day today with lots of beef! 2 sausages, 2 bacon slices, 2 eggs and cheese for breakfast. Some brazil nuts before lunch which was sirloin steak with broccoli and carrots with butter on top. After around an hour I had jerky beef, more cheese and more nuts. Dinner was angus fillet steak with hollandaise sauce, salad and an apple.

No training today.

So yesterday breakfast was cheese, brazil nuts, an egg and two slices of bacon. Lunch was smoked cod with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce and peas. For dinner I had chicken with spinach salad.

Training was 40k very slow spin.

Today's breakfast was 5 different types of cheeses and 4 different types of ham along with some nuts. Lunch was 6 angus beef sausages and then I fell off the wagon quite spectacularly, first time I started the diet like this. I had sugar cravings all week that I was trying to fight, I guess because I reintroduced chocolate milk and protein? Anyway, I had two chocolate brioche with nutella, a flapjack with marshmellows and a redbull before the gym. Now I am having milk with protein.. With that much sugar and the redbull after so long, I expect not to sleep at all today lol.

Training was an hour in the gym in a very hard session again, lots and lots of pullups, pressups and core work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Have you noticed much difference since you started, in weight, strength, stamina etc..?

Since I started the diet or since I started the gym?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Sorry I meant the diet

Weight has come down 3kgs and has stabilized at 78kgs at the moment. Bodyfat is down 5% and I am looking more lean. But I wouldn't say I 've seen any difference in strength or stamina on the bike, I am only out 2 times a week, so I don't expect any miracles at this time of year. My cycling is still adapting on the fat burning, I have a lot of work in order to train it like that. Good news is that on the last Sundays spin which was 80k I didn't eat anything at all, although I had a massive steak and egg breakfast.

In other news I was supposed to have done blood tests last week, but my gp annoyed the hell out of me telling me that I am going to die from cholesterol and i only need to see HDL and LDL without even hearing my arguments, so I waved him goodbye and going to find another one who's at least willing to hear me out and do the proper testing. You know you 've gone too far when you argue with doctors about what's right and wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I had sugar cravings all week

Clear out your PMs - am going to PM you something about that.

Done :D

Not much to update, after the carb fiasco I was back to my normal lchf stuff. I went to the cx race yesterday, I wasn't doing great not even before my crash, but was happy enough as I had fun.

Anyway, yesterday this was created in the house.. and I am not even sorry that I had 2 pieces.. Chocolate Soufflé, for some things you have to sin hehe

58913d1382375461-official-fagitothread-foodlab-soufle.jpg

• Advertisement

I am wearing some jeans today that I haven't put for a long time because they were very tight on the thighs and the stomach. Now they were very loose in the stomach and loose on the thighs. Not sure if that's a good thing..

So yesterday something weird happened, I wasn't hungry at all. For breakfast I had like 6-7 brazil nuts at around 11am, a bit of cheese and ham around 4 and that was about it for the whole day. I also went for 30k easy spin. Weird

Today was another story though, 4 slices of bacon, 2eggs and 3 slices of cheddar. Had some nuts and few grapes later and 4 lamb chops with feta cheese and some salad. Now after the gym I am having chocolate milk with protein.

So the gym session started with squats, squats jumps, wide feet squats, one leg lunges and then a 4min burpees interval. I managed to do 44 and I died, hate those things. After that was a 600m sprint and then 1min intervals with ropes, triceps etc. Now the amazing part is that I managed to do 5 reps of 140kg dead lift. The trainers were left with the mouth open, as they thought I was taking the piss when I said I am going to do it. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

So is it Recovery Time or Recovery Drink?

There is probably a pun here I am missing :p it's just a drink, since I reintroduced carbs after the workout I feel much better the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

There is probably a pun here I am missing :p it's just a drink, since I reintroduced carbs after the workout I feel much better the next day.

As an aside I thought I'd add in my own experience of late.
    As well as cycling and my job I also run the small family farm, which includes 20 acres of forestry.
    A higher fat diet has made all three activities much easier. Long cycles with no food, long spells in car without needing to stop but the biggest change is in wood.
    Last Saturday after a breakfast consisting of fruit and greek yoghurt followed by bacon, eggs and black pudding I worked for 7 hrs without any break. At 3pm because it was handy I had lunch but wasn't really hungry.
    The work is all chainsaw and logging. Very physical. Fat diet seems ideal for this type of work.
    Interested in your 140kg lift as although 6 yrs older at 38 than when I started first thinning cycle I've never felt stronger

Sorry I meant that given you were obviously performing well last night, would you put it down to the post exercise recovery drinks or the fact you haven't done hard exercise since Sunday? or have you done some? when's the last time you did Crossfit?
    (obviously I am still pushing my do-less agenda.)

I actually did more this week. Monday I was in the the gym again for an hour, tuesday one hour spin, wed one hour spin and last night to the gym.

I had the recovery drink only on monday, I didn't get tired in those 1h spins, they were very relaxed just to spin the legs. The trainers were sure that the reason I could lift so much was exactly because of cycling, strong glutes and hamstrings.

Alright, seems to be going well for you now. Hope it keeps up.

The gym goes well, the bike I am not so sure, I seem to be getting slower getting up hills.

• Advertisement

I 've been suffering from sugar cravings and I don't know why, especially late in night. I haven't changed anything in the diet apart from adding milk and protein after the trainings. For example yesterday I had bacon, eggs and cheese for breakfast, chicken with salad for lunch and pork fillet cooked in coconut oil and milk and stir fried vegs and also oven baked cauliflower with olive oil, salt pepper and grated parmesan on top. After 10-20mins of what was a really good meal and with plenty of fat I had the urge for something sweet and had an apple, but that wasn't enough. The same thing has been happening the last week or so, not sure what's going on :o

Oh.. I also decided that each Tuesday I would be going up the sally gap for as long as there is no ice, I need to HTFU :) It's only 25k from my house to the crossroads so there's no excuse of why I shouldn't be doing it.

As I had a big dinner last night I needed no breakfast this morning, I had a bit of lamb in the work canteen but it was bad so I went and bought some jerky beef with cheese and nuts. Got to the gym for an hour of pullups and 40kgs thrusters (I fecking hate those things). Had some milk with protein and that's all for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Only if it was cooked in butter (or coconut oil) :)

So I was talking to my father about the diet and how lately I feel the need for something sweet and he pointed me to something that I had in the house (and had forgotten) and it's originally made in my fathers island.

zakynthos-mantolato.jpg

Tha name is Mantolato (I think it might be called nugat in english? ) and it's only, egg whites, almonds and pure honey. (yes I know there is sugar in honey but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Nougat.

It's a bit carby. I was looking at some meringue type dessert things and having the same sinful thoughts - sure it's basically just egg whites, cream etc. but it feels like a slippery slope. A delicious slippery slope which is the worst kind.

It is indeed a slippery slope, I think it's a good choice for emergencies.

But my question comes back to.. why do I get sugar cravings? I can think of three things:

1) It's much harder to get rid of years of bad habits
    2) I am not eating as ideal as I think I am
    3) My body is not adapted fully to the new diet

Maybe all of the above maybe none of the above. I am fighting it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

FWIW I've always assumed that people who have gone keto and then claimed to never have sugar cravings are either a) weirdos or b) liars.

niceonetom wrote: »
    FWIW I've always assumed that people who have gone keto and then claimed to never have sugar cravings are either a) weirdos or b) liars.

I am a) so.

I get them very very rarely. only during long exercise and occasionally post exercise. otherwise not at all. I am not in ketosis. I'm exercising very sparsely, you lads are exercising a lot. Maybe that has something to do with it.

There is a box of milk tray on our kitchen table since last thursday, unopened. 10 months ago they wouldn't have lasted an evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

niceonetom wrote: »

Used to occasionally binge on chocolate and est a lot of granola with honey prior to trying this diet.
    Since I've increased fat in diet I have zero interest in processed sugar products.

Eat no pasta rice potatoes bread etc and don't get sugar cravings irrespective of exercise level.

Eat quite a bit of fruit most days, don't know what category that puts me in...

Advertisement