Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat full of carbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

As of this morning I am 77kgs. I haven't seen that since the trip in the Pyrenees, happy days and without much effort either.

The world is really fecking mental, how wrong is this pic:

EASD2.jpg

http://www.dietdoctor.com/breakfast-europes-biggest-diabetes-conference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Yeah, the amount of people I see that pick up a bottle of orange juice, some cereal and a crossaint as a 'healthy breakfast' is astonishing....

Today's breakfast was scrambled eggs with bacon and for lunch some of the leg lamb with salad and feta cheese. Dinner was tuna with mayo and some grapes.

I didn't do anything on the bike today as I had planned, but I finished putting my new tubs on the wheels so I might give it a try tomorrow. Apart from that I went for a half an hour running around the local park.

I also found two nice pages with desserts I could have, although one of them uses a bit too much artificial sweeteners.
    http://www.mariannslchf.com/category/dessert-recipe/
    http://dietketo.com/keto-dessert-recipe-recommendations/

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Just as an early heads-up. Barry Murray and I may be doing a seminar on a lot of the performance and LCHF type things for cycling. Probably towards the end of October and in Dublin.

Awesome, keep us updated on dates Ryan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

where will info be for this? twitter.. etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

where will info be for this? twitter.. etc?

Smoke signals, like a proper hunter gather would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Smoke signals, like a proper hunter gather would do.

Will have something here, twitter etc. (if it happens).

Breakfast was an apple with brie and two slices of bacon. Lunch was two fillets of seabass with spinach and mayo. Before gym I had some cheese with ham and few nuts and nothing for dinner after gym, just a glass of milk with a scoop of protein.

Training was 1h in the gym, full core workout, painful but enjoyable. I understand that's the second time I am saying this, so I am a bit worried that I find this kind of pain enjoyable :p. Tomorrow morning I plan an early morning ride around 50k, I hope it's dry :)

• Advertisement

Didn't do much regarding training friday and sat. Today I went to the first official orwell winter spin, bloody hell there were a ****load of people. I started with the fast group but it was obvious that my legs were not there so on the first hill I goodbye them before my HR exploded and waited for the less fast group which pace was acceptable. Still did around 70k at almost 28.something average and the 30k was by myself.

Food remains high fat, todays breakfast was eggs, bacon and gluten free sausage. On the bike I only had few nuts to eat. Lunch was just a bit of cheese and salami and dinner was steak with prawns and salad. I also had 2 scoops of ice cream after quite some time, it felt so but so sweet.

The 30 bananas a day monkey is having a go on Lustig

All the common questions gathered for low carb diets with simple, easy to understand answers followed by sources.

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-things-dietitians-say-about-low-carb-diets/

I need to do something about my recovery. Last time I was on the bike was Sunday. It's now wednesday I haven't done any exercise the last two days and still my quads were sore getting up the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I know you're very committed to the low-carb approach and I know it's paying off in terms of weight control and body composition etc. but...

The basic mechanism of low-carb diets is insulin control, specifically the avoidance of insulin spikes that signal cells to absorb blood glucose and (oh-noes) maybe lay down some dreaded adipose. But I think that's a bit too simplistic - insulin isn't just a message saying "get fat now" to your tissues, it's also a signal to heal, to grow, to recover.

I've been low-carb for a little while now (not generally as strict as you) and have done a fair few long spins (140km+) with little or no CHO. My body seems to have adapted fairly well to burning fat as fuel for long easy to moderate efforts but just because fat works as fuel doesn't mean it can work for recovery - re-fuelling maybe, but to trigger than cellular response and start that whole enzymatic process you need the insulin, and that means you need the carbs.

It makes sense to me in terms of the science (an accords with my reasons for avoiding carbs the rest of the time while not doing really intense training) and it has worked for me anecdotally. A long spin without a recovery shake of sugar and protein wipes me out for a day or two - tiredness rather than muscle pain, but if I have a 2:1 or 3:1 CHO:Protein shake with maybe 30g or 40g of sugars I recover better, have better energy level and feel ready to train again much sooner.

Cheers Tom, I need to try that as it doesn't feel right to be tired 3 days later. I think I ll go back to the chocolate milk/protein combo after the exercise for a few days and see how it goes.

FDA Finally Admits Chicken Meat Contains Cancer-Causing Arsenic
    Even worse, the FDA says its own research shows that the arsenic added to the chicken feed ends up in the chicken meat where it is consumed by humans. So for the last sixty years, American consumers who eat conventional chicken have been swallowing arsenic, a known cancer-causing chemical

I am just interested to see what they'll find in the veg crops in a few years now that they are controlled by a handful of companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I had a hard training session last night.
    3*8 mins at super threshold with some anaerobic intervals.

Today I treated myself to a lemon tart & hot chocolate in Paris Bakery.

I feel great.

Didn't do any training yesterday either. I wanted the muscles to fully recover before I head back to the gym tonight.

Breakfast yesterday was cheese, chicken and nuts, lunch was a small bit of pork with salad and carrots and for dinner I had chicken satay. Bit more carbs than normal.

Now, read a very interesting article about brain training: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/how-to-build-mental-muscle?page=single

Those sore quads of yours are the wrath of God. Not enough prayer in your recovery routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Those sore quads of yours are the wrath of God. Not enough prayer in your recovery routine.

Yeah. After all, the menu at the last supper wasn't bacon and eggs...

I am glad that my religious beliefs are matched by my diet haha

So breakfast today was turkey with cheddar and brazil nuts. I had more hazelnuts later for lunch as I wasn't hungry. Around 5 I had eggs with sausages and went to gym at 8. I had protein with chocolate milk after, interested to see if there is going to be any difference.

I spent an hour in the gym doing 3mins intervals of various core/upper body exercise. Arms definitely feel tired now.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

I've been following your log with great interest and thanks for sharing it with us! I just had one comment to make, if that's ok, that you don't seem to be eating very much. It's interesting that you've lost weight but I wonder if it is attributed to this diet or because you don't seem to be eating much at all....
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    nothing for dinner after gym, just a glass of milk with a scoop of protein.
    no lunch (wasn't hungry)
    Food wise I wasn't eating much all week
    I had more hazelnuts later for lunch as I wasn't hungry.

Calories wise I am eating sufficiently, because I am eating a lot of fat. I am also eating a lot of protein. I think the combination of these make me full and keep me happy while before with the insulin spikes I needed a snack all the freaking time. It also depends on the day, some days I am eating a lot more, some less, I am just following what body asks for. For example this morning I was feeling hungry, so I had 3 slices of thick bacon, with 2 sausages fried in butter and brie chese. I would have an egg too but I didn't have one :D For lunch I am going to have fish with vegs and see how the dinner will go, I might snack at dinner time with some cheese and salami and that could make me full for the rest of the night. Funny enough the weight is back up to 78 today.

It appears to people from the outside looking in that you are somehow starving yourself doing Paleo/LHCF, but it's not that. I don't have the mental fortitude to deny hunger. What happens is you get a proper sense of hunger and only really eat when you need to. You are not driven by 3/4 hour blood sugar dips.

Contrary to traditional eating advice, I eat enormous meals but don't eat that often. Well it varies. Some days I might have 4 or 5 meals. Some days I might have 2. Also contrary to most advice I eat much more at night than I do in the morning. But it's not a conscious effort. I just eat when I feel like it. I tend to eat more in the days after hard training or if I feel a slightly run down. I don't consciously eat a set amount of calories per day or maintain a calorie deficit as some days you need more food than other days.

So if I feel hungry, I eat. If I don't, I don't. Much simpler than counting calories or keeping a food diary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

As a parent to three relatively young kids (one aged 9 and two aged 5) is that that is similar to how kids eat.

They find it difficult to eat regularly.
    Some days they have huge dinners and other days they eat relatively little.
    Some days they snack other days try dont.

I have given up trying to get them to eat having realised it was stressful parties - I know that when they are hungry they do actually eat.

Maybe that is how it supposed to be?

ROK ON wrote: »
    Maybe that is how it supposed to be?
    I also exercise more like a child now. i.e. only when I feel like it and not driven by a schedule. Though sometimes I'll be cajoled into it against my will.

Weight has never been as stable & predictable since I was a teenager. It's so easy it's laughable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

:pac::pac::pac:
    Looks tasty though........

1385269_10151896801097866_80560075_n_zps107f4fdb.jpeg

• Advertisement

Bacon is grand :p

So yesterday's breakfast was a beef steak from the previous night dinner topped with a fried egg and some cheddar cheese. Lunch was IKEA meatballs with peas and dinner was just some cheese. Spending 3hours in IKEA is enough to call it training!

Today's breakfast was a pork chop with an egg and two sausages. Had a chocolate milk with protein after the spin and nibbled at ham and cheese until dinner was ready. Which was fried sliced zucchinis, sweet potato oven chips and chicken and pork casserole something.

Training was a flat 80k cycle at around 29kms/h. My HR was very high at a few points, still winter though, we ll see how it goes.

Advertisement