Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

A boat full of carbs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Yesterday
    Training: 60k roundtrip commute in a medium tempo. Energy levels were low on the way back, I was starving 10 mins away from home.

Food: 2 eggs, bacon and sausages for breakfast. Moroccan lamb with salad for lunch. Cheddar cheese with parma ham and a apple for snack after the spin. 15 Chicken wings in the oven for dinner. I had 4 spoons of ice cream just before I went to bed, I felt I need it for some reason so I didn't think it twice.

Friday

Training: Nada
    Food: Breakfast was bacon with brie, lunch was chicken curry with peas and carrots and for dinner I had pork ribs with salad.

Today:

Training: Well.. I didn't officially do anything, but I spent 3 hours working on the garden and the shed so that must account for something
    Food: Egg, bacon, gluten free sausages and brie. Lunch was a big sin, even Epic Meals would be proud of it.

58101d1379176509-official-fagitothread-foodlab-image4.jpeg

Bacon, chicken, chorizo, cheese.. so yummy but I gotten so full. A bit of cheese and grapes for dinner, way too full from that thing.

Sunday
    Training: Playing Borderlands 2 on the pc aka nada. I was planning to go out but I woke up with again heavy legs, saw the weather and entered the wimp list.

Food: Almond and coconut flour pancakes with a bit of honey, I expected worse. For lunch sirloin steak with spinach salad. For dinner I made chicken with cream, chives, coconut milk and cream cheese but I wasn't hungry so I had some cheese.

Today
    Training. 1,5h in the gym. We had the 400 today. 50 pushups, 50 burpees, 50 pullups, 50squats with 50kgs, 50 kettlebell thrusters, 50 kettlebell swings and 50 more of something that I don't remember the name. I was fresh from not doing much over the weekend so I went through all happy enough.

Food: For breakfast it was last nights chicken that I didn't have. Lunch was the other sirloin steak I cooked on Sunday and after the gym I just had some cheese, olives, salami and grapes. Ah.. I also had a spoon of nutella before gym :o

Paleo Protein

supreme-nutrition-paleo-protein-500x500.jpg

This might start becoming (if it's not already one) a sales trick. Did they start seeing that they are losing customers? What's next? Paleo offerings from McD :D

• Advertisement

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/08/chicken-mcnuggets-under-microscope.html

Holy sh!t they are even more disgusting than from what I originally thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I remember you asking for an energy bar recipe in pete's thread and thought I'd send this on to you...

http://livinghealthywithchocolate.com/desserts/paleo-blueberry-muffin-grain-free-gluten-free-low-carb-997/

I know the recipe has a bit of honey in it, which is essentially sugar, but I've halved the amount and they still turn out ok (read addictive), and a little bit of sugar while out on a long spin is no harm anyway.

Training: 60k commute with a good enough pace, was soaked to the bone, welcome back normal irish weather :) Legs felt fresh on the way out (despite yesterdays massacre in the gym) but on the way back I could feel them getting tired. Maybe it's the position too as I am on commuting with the CX bike.

Food: 2eggs, 2sausages, 2 bacon and cheese for breakfast. Pollock with spinach and broccoli for lunch. Dinner was a steak with oven cooked cauliflower (with bacon, salt, pepper, garlic and cheese on the top). I hated cauliflower but damn that was tasty.

hKydfFJ.jpg

So I tried Colm's recipe for the muffins. When I had everything done, I found out that I don't have any berries left, so instead I added a bit of vanilla extract and some cocoa nibs. I think the recipe can do with a bit of tweaking, the two spoons of coconut oil was a bit too much I think. And I also used only one spoon of honey.

7VKWsqR.jpg

Anyway there were tasty enough!

And for the grand finale of this post, the denver diet doctor in one of his lectures. You don't have to agree with him, but just listen to him.

Double post, but unfortunately Pete's thread closed down so I ask here. What's the take on adding more protein in your diet by taking whey protein?

I only did 60k on Tuesday and my legs still feel tired and heavy, and I think it's two things, I either don't get good recovery or I don't stretch enough, or both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Its generally accepted a ratio of 3 to 1, carbs to protein, is ideal for recovery after cycling, within a 30 minute window. Anything outside of that can leave you a bit sore next day. Nesquik in low fat milk hits the spot for me.

I have no idea how paleo folks fare if they are cutting out carbs during and after exercise though. Not too good I would guess. I don't think adding more protein will help you.

Yeh I found my legs felt heavier than usual after a long spin when I first started toying with LCHF, so I reintroduced some post-workout carbs and everything was good again

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I only did 60k on Tuesday and my legs still feel tired and heavy, and I think it's two things, I either don't get good recovery or I don't stretch enough, or both.

50 pushups, 50 burpees, 50 pullups, 50squats with 50kgs, 50 kettlebell thrusters, 50 kettlebell swings and 50 more of something that I don't remember the name.

That is a heavy interval session. Any more of this and you'll be on the scrap heap by Christmas.

Yesterday's training didn't happen. Heavy legs and a relatively busy day at the office gave me no mood of doing anything.

As for the food, I didn't eat much, breakfast was few pieces of Brie with greek salami at around 11am, "lunch" was around 5 and had chicken with peppers, carrots and cashews done in coconut oil. For dinner I had two muffins.

Today's training was an hour on the gym doing 40s on/off and 30s on/off intervals of squats-bag punching, pushups-boxing, burpees-boxing, two trx exercices and a balance squat.

For breakfast I had a nice fry with 2eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausages and cheddar cheese. Lunch was very small, a bit of tuna with two boiled eggs and some spinach. As a snack later I had some olives, cheese and salami and for dinner a bit of leftovers from yesterday's chicken and the two last muffins.

So Friday there was no training. I don't remember the food but it was in the usual lchf schedule.

Yesterday again no training. Food was bacon and brie for breakfast, no lunch (wasn't hungry) and unfortunately I had aromatic duck with pitas and noodles for dinner. And I am saying unfortunately because I paid dearly the carbfest this morning in the toilet, I ll spare you the details.

Today I was supposed to race cx. Well I did go there, had 3 warm up laps and started the race. Not even middle way I rolled the tub, luckily I didn't cause any major accidents and I only fell at the grass so it wasn't overly bad, apart from that I had to abandon the race. Oh well, at least it was an amazing venue and a perfect day for it.

Food, eggs with sausages and cheese for breakfast. Lunch was "light", some cheese, olives, a chorizo and some salad. I am not hungry for dinner so I think I ll be having maybe two paleo muffins I made.

I 've noticed the last few days that my appetite has gone down, although the calories are still there the quantity isn't. I just don't feel very hungry.

The weight also has gone down to 78kgs, 3kgs down since the start of August. What's also interesting is that my body fat has been reduced from 18% to 14%, or that's what my cheap-ass scale says, no idea if it stands for anything, I wouldn't personally trust it.

Man I've had that conversation about 200 times in the last 7 months. I'll just send people that vid from now on.

So back to the gym today. 1h of 3mins intervals with 1m breaks of TRX squat jumps, kb squats, kb thrusters, ball press ups and chinups. Throw in there around 50 more press ups and that's it for today. The guys in the gym also bought a fancy scale that measure body fat in 4 different parts of your body and it agreed with my cheap ass scale, my body fat is down to 14%. Well look at that, eating fat makes you lose fat.

article-3423.jpg

For breakfast I had two boiled eggs, two sausages and a piece of cheese and few nuts before lunch. Lunch was salmon with crème fraîche sauce and green leaves. The portion was small though so after an hour I had a bag of jerky beef, cheese and brazil nuts. Before the gym I had two paleo muffins and a milk protein shake after it. Again, not overly hungry.

How Grains Are Killing You Slowly
    It all boils down to this: Grains are not healthy and they are toxic to the body. That is the way they were designed. The non-digestible proteins that wreak havoc in our system allow grains to pass un-harmed through the intestines of animals and emerge victorious and in a pile of fertilizer at the other end. Good for the grains-bad for us! Studies have shown, and I have seen in my own work with clients, that a no-grain diet can lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, promote weight loss, alleviate dermatitis or acne, end digestive disturbances like heart disease, increase fertility and dramatically improve energy levels.

• Advertisement

Haven't wrote much the last few days because I was feeling crap and haven't done much. I had fever on Wednesday but now I am feeling much better. Food wise I wasn't eating much all week but it was in the same lchf spirit wiith an exception a couple of nights of the added sweet potato. Tomorrow I am going for a 80k charity spin, I plan to take it handy and remain under Z3 to optimize fat burning. Weight is still 78kgs.

Zone3 my bottom. The spin started with a hill so off I went to avoid the guys with the gaa shorts and the flat pedals. A couple of others guys joined me and off we went to never see anyone again. Nice and fast spin but definitely not zone3. I managed to go through the 70k with just brazil nuts and a slice of ham and cheese. Breakfast was good with 2eggs, 4slices of bacon and few brie pieces. I had some cheese, ham and olives when I came back and later had two burgers with salad. Dinner was just some nuts, wasn't hungry.

On another note, I 've been trying out for the last couple of months the CycleOps Powercal "hr power meter". I 've bought a lot of useless stuff for the bike, but this tops them all by far. It makes no sense in so many levels. Even as an HR strap is bad, erroneous readings and it just drops off whenever it feels like. I don't know what algorithm it uses to calculate power out of hr but it doesnt make sense. I can't be cycling along at 25km/h and have reading of 300watts at 150hr.. it just doesn't make sense. Anyway, it's going to be returned back to wiggle.

Apart from a 2hours walk there was no training today, legs felt relatively ok from yesterdays effort.

Breakfast today was scrambled eggs with bacon and grated parmesan on top. Lunch we had outside on a small Sicilian place which unfortunately had nothing but carbs, so I had the least bad thing I could get, lasagne with salad. I paid that again a couple of hours later. My digestive system doesn't like these stuff anymore, it kinda rejects them in a bad way. I had some cheese, salami and olives for snack and dinner is going to be two burgers with salad and sweet potato chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Your daily consumption is beginning to seem very boring.

On the cheese - expand your horizons beyond Brie and Parmasan.
    There are genuinely some fantastic Irish cheeses out there. Not sure if you like blue, but Cashel blue, Beara blue and Wicklow blow are all very different and yummy. Given that you like Brie so much try Cooleeny.
    Also Durrus, Milleens and Coolea from west cork are simply stunning cheeses. Goats cheese - St Tola, particularly the ash covered one is one of the best cheeses in Europe IMO.

To get more greens and salads - incorporate your HF protein into the salad - warm salads are great and filling I think.
    Make a ceasar salad without the croutons, add some streaky bacon.

The eggs - huevos rancheros. Onions, peppers, garlic, chilli and coriader stalks all fried until soft in cumin.
    In the frying pan make holes in the above mixture and crack in four eggs.
    Serve with sour cream and guacamole.
    Stunning lunch for two.

I need to cook you dinner some night - we will working on expanding what you eat and maintaining your LCHF approach.

Thanks, I am up for more ideas. I like the brie for breakfast, but I do eat a lot of various type of cheddar, I have 6 different cheeses in the fridge, 4 types of ham and two 2 salami. It's very hard to find good cold cuts without a ton of preservatives inside.

My breakfast is kinda boring. It's either an omelet or fried eggs or boiled eggs, I need to invest some time in there. Today I am planning for a leg of lamb slowly oven roasted on a bed of onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks, I am up for more ideas. I like the brie for breakfast, but I do eat a lot of various type of cheddar, I have 6 different cheeses in the fridge, 4 types of ham and two 2 salami. It's very hard to find good cold cuts without a ton of preservatives inside.

My breakfast is kinda boring. It's either an omelet or fried eggs or boiled eggs, I need to invest some time in there. Today I am planning for a leg of lamb slowly oven roasted on a bed of onions.

Had small fruit salad with a generous portion of 10% fat yoghurt.
    A plate of nuts with some chilli cheese from kilkkenny I think.
    Coffee with cream

I just had almost half of it.. and I am still drooling over looking at the pics. So.fecking.yummy.

273908.jpg

Potatoes?! Shame on you :eek:

colm_gti wrote: »
    Potatoes?! Shame on you :eek:

Not for me, the missus wants them :p

• Advertisement

Just got back from the gym which today was kettlebells in every fecking possible way.. good workout, especially for the lower back.

Advertisement