Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    I just looked at the 14 day forecast and it has 9 days with rain including today.

So its changed again? Looks like the early cutters were the right ones. Alot of hay baled yeaterday

Dunedin wrote: »
    €11 I think. Well, I’ve to buy a few off a fella so I might even go €12 just to be fair!!!!

Hardly that cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Plan is for Monday- forecast still showing rain here tmrw ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hardly that cheap

I wish. €25 more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What’s the feed value ratio of a typical bale of hay to say average silage ?

Is a bale of hay at €25 better value than a bale of silage at €25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

_Brian wrote: »
    What’s the feed value ratio of a typical bale of hay to say average silage ?

Is a bale of hay at €25 better value than a bale of silage at €25

Hay would have a higher DM but s lot of hay is baled quite loosely so often bales are only 300 kgs. You get a lot of low DM silage as well made by lads and they get what they perceive to be the cheapest contractor. Buying anything depends on quality and price

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

We have 50 or more acres cut, sur why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Buying hay in the bale can be a way of getting a right codding. It is the only way I have ever seen of turning a pigs ear into a silk purse. Rank old grass that would be unpalatable standing looks awful well after 4 or 5 days drying and in a bale. There was a 90 acre farm near here 3 years ago that wasn’t grazed or mowed until August from previous October. Massive cover of half dead matted grass. It looked like the best of hay and sold like early new spuds.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Buying hay in the bale can be a way of getting a right codding. It is the only way I have ever seen of turning a pigs ear into a silk purse. Rank old grass that would be unpalatable standing looks awful well after 4 or 5 days drying and in a bale. There was a 90 acre farm near here 3 years ago that wasn’t grazed or mowed until August from previous October. Massive cover of half dead matted grass. It looked like the best of hay and sold like early new spuds.

Could the same not be said for baled silage, they’re not called “lucky dips” for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

Willfarman wrote: »

Very true Will, An awful lot of hay that is made is ****e thats been growing for 3 or 4 months+
    As regards saving hay as someone said earlier time saves hay not turning 4 times a day.
    The best hay we ever had was cut day 1, turned once day 2, left idle day 3, turned day 4, idle day 5, turned and baled day 6. The finest horse hay you would get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

If you had of said Siobhan's, i might agree.

Typical forecaster when you want a forecast he disappears
    Am I to mow or not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Typical forecaster when you want a forecast he disappears
    Am I to mow or not

Did you pay the fee yet??

Wait till Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Wait till Monday.

It's looking good for a head start?

kk.man wrote: »
    It's looking good for a head start?

Here, look at, what I look at..

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/arpege.aspx

https://youtu.be/ezOJNYgsBy8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Wait till Monday.

i will have a bale with your name on it

grassroot1 wrote: »
    i will have a bale with your name on it

I've a long name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've a long name.

Small writing, be grand:p

Jesus you’d have cost me a fortune in wrap. After been quare lucky here thank God, Hay will be rattling tomorrow but though shalt not bale on the sabbath so Monday it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnno900

All baled! After thunderstorm in Wexford ground was dry by 9am, got the shopping done in the morning, ate out for dinner, sun out at 2, so turned once, rowed, baled at 100 bales by 7. Most bales I've had on these fields in 10 years. Now onto the next 20 acres. Happy baling everyonemail ��

johnno900 wrote: »
    All baled! After thunderstorm in Wexford ground was dry by 9am, got the shopping done in the morning, ate out for dinner, sun out at 2, so turned once, rowed, baled at 100 bales by 7. Most bales I've had on these fields in 10 years. Now onto the next 20 acres. Happy baling everyonemail ��
    What day did you mow? Was it manures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 johnno900

Mowed Monday evening Will. 3 bags 18.6.12 2nd week of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Still not fit here. Hope to bale Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Made alot of rain last night for anyone that didn't get it baled yesterday. Wonder will it take the "good" out of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Rain here this morning. Hoping rest of day is dry ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Raining here too...forecast not too good

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Whats the cost of turning hay with a haybob ,is it per acre or hour ,thanks in advance.

Whats the cost of turning hay with a haybob ,is it per acre or hour ,thanks in advance.

Can be either. My tedder is €10 per acre. Big jobs are done less but that's the standard charge for small acres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭50HX

Mowed Fri evening , made a good drop of rain here last niten

See how the week goes will prob bag it.....light crop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

50HX wrote: »
    Mowed Fri evening , made a good drop of rain here last niten

See how the week goes will prob bag it.....light crop

Will you not try for Hay. No rain forecast after today till next Sunday at least

• Advertisement

I’m up north today.
    Lots of fields of damp hay on the ground. Hopefully next week will see it baked up.

Advertisement