Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay

• 25-06-2019 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Mowing down 10 acres today. I am considering making it into small hay bales. Weather isn't looking to bad but its giving a bit of rain for Saturday.
    I mad hay of the same fields last year but it was no problem as the good weather just kept going.
    Would you risk it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think with hay, it helps to have the ground dry before you mow. Waiting an extra day after all that rain can help a lot.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

going to risk cutting 15/20 acres later today , hoping for the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I think with hay, it helps to have the ground dry before you mow. Waiting an extra day after all that rain can help a lot.

Spot on Patsy. Conditioner mower will also help dry it out and the ground between the rows. Will be a struggle to save it. Very close. It will need until next week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Ground makes a huge difference.
    Had corcas land and would always be damp under neath.
    Then on the up land no problem ground dry as a bone and when turned always dry underneath.
    The only thing going for the corcas low land it was so open no ditches always got the breeze and sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Cut 15 acres today, going to chance it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

Got hay saved on Saturday and more down now, weather looks good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ground very damp and soft here, be tough making hay with that much moisture under it.
    Even if it were hot it would sweat onto the back of mown grass rather than dry away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Cut last night on the gamble that would avoid the rain which we did. Ground is wet enough and crop is heavy. Will be tight enough for Friday I’d say.

once it’s watched it can always be wrapped up anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

893bet wrote: »
    Cut last night on the gamble that would avoid the rain which we did. Ground is wet enough and crop is heavy. Will be tight enough for Friday I’d say.

Rain that was promised for Saturday here seems to have disappeared off the radar today. Hopefully it will stay gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭somofagun

Went home from work yesterday and the grass was mowed. Got the haybob out and had her sitting ready to go this morning at 6am to turn it over. I have chickened out, its a heavy crop and will take a fair bit of sun to get it dried and i dont think 2-3 days window that we have will be enough. As said before on here the ground really needs to be dry on ours is soft at the minute. Will let it sit now till Friday/Saturday and round bale it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

somofagun wrote: »
    Went home from work yesterday and the grass was mowed. Got the haybob out and had her sitting ready to go this morning at 6am to turn it over. I have chickened out, its a heavy crop and will take a fair bit of sun to get it dried and i dont think 2-3 days window that we have will be enough. As said before on here the ground really needs to be dry on ours is soft at the minute. Will let it sit now till Friday/Saturday and round bale it.

Was out in the fields this morning and a very heavy dew out. Seems to be no drying at night. MT giving heavy downpours on Saturday for Midlands and east. Too tight a window I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

somofagun wrote: »

As a rule, you'd be wasting your time out turning hay at 6am. You'd need to give it a few hours for the day to lift up a bit. Maybe if you are just kicking it out of the swarth and there is no dew out you could somehow justify it, but I'd be inclined to wait a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Cut a few acres last evening. ...and then it poured rain for 10 mins. Going to be tight I'd say for hay. Never saw any point turning hay until at least midday

Was on a job earlier and one guy has 6acres down for hay. Was cut yesterday 4pm.

It was still wet to handle at 12 when he went home to check on it. Has baler and wrapper booked for tomorrow but not sure it may be Friday when they make it as so much on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 blue.dub4sam

Met eireann have issued a heat warning for tomorrow.
    27°. Get out the forks.

Met eireann have issued a heat warning for tomorrow.
    27°. Get out the forks.

Going to see will I get mine on Saturday afternoon. Will need all to go right. Knocked yesterday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Going to see will I get mine on Saturday afternoon. Will need all to go right. Knocked yesterday evening.

That's less than 4 days, surely you couldn't save hay in 4 days? :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

Cut some Monday evening and turned last night and turning at the minute. Savage drying out. Going to go cut another 8 acres later. Hopefully the weather holds till monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Cut mine lunchtime yesterday. Good drying today. It’ll be a close call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Would anyone know how much an acre of hay is making ? Sold standing in the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reggie. wrote: »
    MT giving heavy downpours on Saturday for Midlands and east. Too tight a window I think.

You're probably right. 4 acres knocked and kicked out . Maybe we'll be lucky. If you don't mow it you won't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Ours dried a lot today in limerick. A scorcher tomorrow.

Be grand on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Would anyone know how much an acre of hay is making ? Sold standing in the field

too early to tell I think, maybe 22-25 a bale off the field ?

Good breeze with sun this morning. Will help dry stuff quickly.

Just an update. Went home from work yesterday and the ole man had the field turned after telling me i would be mad to try an make hay of it. It is still fairly wet so much so that if i lift a bit that is under the sward you could still squeeze water out of it. Will turn it over today again and see how it is looking this evening before a call is made on whether to round bale it or keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

would ye normally shake once a day everyday until its ready for bailing or do you shake twice a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I wouldn't panic if ihay is not fit in the next day or two...There's a decent spell of weather again next week I believe, so if not fit leave it off til then. Have about 3 acres cut myself and am hoping for hay middle of next week. If weather goes bad I'll just wrap it as haylage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

RobinBanks wrote: »
    would ye normally shake once a day everyday until its ready for bailing or do you shake twice a day?

If you are trying to get hay fit fast then absolutely turn twice in the day....

If weather is crap no amount of turning will help, you are just thrashing the stuff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

davidk1394 wrote: »

I have taken meadows from 3 different farmers 9 acres field @ €100 an acre field reseeded about 6 -7 years ago, strong grass and wouldn't be suitable for hay - very green
    26 acres in 4 fields at €130 an acre (good heavy meadow and nice new grass about 4 years reseeded)
    15 acre field €1,600 old meadow grass but very heavy. All 3 are more or less beside each other and going to put them into the pit weekend after next. With heavy crops and the broken weather there isn't much demand for meadows up our way this year, you couldn't get a sniff at one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

Savage hay weather here in Kilkenny. Hopefully it lasts another 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I have taken meadows from 3 different farmers 9 acres field @ €100 an acre field reseeded about 6 -7 years ago, strong grass and wouldn't be suitable for hay - very green
    26 acres in 4 fields at €130 an acre (good heavy meadow and nice new grass about 4 years reseeded)
    15 acre field €1,600 old meadow grass but very heavy. All 3 are more or less beside each other and going to put them into the pit weekend after next. With heavy crops and the broken weather there isn't much demand for meadows up our way this year, you couldn't get a sniff at one last year.

Just a slight diversion but how much would you get per standing field pr acre for silage?

Looking above it seems less than for hay. Why the difference?

It was turned twice yesterday, lunch time and evening. Ole man is gona turn it shortly and i will turn it again when i get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Great hay weather here atm. Looks like that rain ain't coming sat either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Great hay weather here atm. Looks like that rain ain't coming sat either

You're a fully fledged contractor alright. ;)

How much are ya betting?

Screenshot-2019-06-27-19-24-37.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

You're a fully fledged contractor alright. ;)

How much are ya betting?

Screenshot-2019-06-27-19-24-37.png

Not everyone on here lives in the east. That bit of light rain is only clipping south Leinster afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭alps

No Rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

How much are ya betting?

This yellow belly is holding out till after Saturday anyway

Not everyone on here lives in the east. That bit of light rain is only clipping south Leinster afaik

It's a cold front coming in across the country from the west tomorrow. It'll be in the east on Saturday.

Rainfall amounts unknown till it happens.

Edit: Cold fronts coming into warm air usually produce either misty conditions or high high level thunderstorms.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    This yellow belly is holding out till after Saturday anyway

And you'd be right.
    We haven't a hope in the open space of Croke Park. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

hoping twill be good tomorrow as today I've 13 acres ready to bale, to the man asking about getting hay ready quick we often ray it up the day before for the day and shake it out for the night again then shake it out the day of baling and when fit ray it up again before baling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

And you'd be right.
    We haven't a hope in the open space of Croke Park. :rolleyes:

Drop the blades on Sunday cut the hay next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Cut 8 acres yesterday and kicked it out late last night. Turned 4 times today. 3 fields 2 are light crops so acting well the other very heavy fit hay. I think we’ll get it though

Anyone that knows how the lightningmaps website works.

This is what's currently happening where that cold front off the west of Ireland is rubbing up against this warm plume.

Screenshot-2019-06-27-22-47-07.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Drop the blades on Sunday cut the hay next week

I'm hoping to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cloudy in the SW tomorrow, not sure of showers.

Water John wrote: »
    Cloudy in the SW tomorrow, not sure of showers.

There's a chance of flooding tomorrow in Clare and Galway.

Check out yr.no and our own weather forum on boards.

There's a quare lot of doubting Thomas's on here. :rolleyes:
    You think you'd be a bit excited about the thought of all those thunderstorms. :p

Also physics like I posted about a cold front into this very warm plume. Mist or bangers.

Sat24 for keeping an eye on it's progress.

There's a chance of flooding tomorrow in Clare and Galway.

Check out yr.no and our own weather forum on boards.

There's a quare lot of doubting Thomas's on here. :rolleyes:
    You think you'd be a bit excited about the thought of all those thunderstorms. :p

Also physics like I posted about a cold front into this very warm plume. Mist or bangers.

Sat24 for keeping an eye on it's progress.

Seen that. Will have 3 fields fit tomorrow evening. But yr.no showing 35mm rain between 12 and 6. B0LLIX. Other 2 fields would need until Sat evening but could be Tuesday before it dries out again. YR acting the Mick the last few months so hopefully it stays off form! Some weather to save hay with heat and a warm drying wind.

Seen that. Will have 3 fields fit tomorrow evening. But yr.no showing 35mm rain between 12 and 6. B0LLIX. Other 2 fields would need until Sat evening but could be Tuesday before it dries out again. YR acting the Mick the last few months so hopefully it stays off form! Some weather to save hay with heat and a warm drying wind.

If you did think it was coming in the morning.
    At least you're forewarned and forearmed and could wrap it.

Check out the radar and sat24 in the morning. It's only a slither of a front but if you're stuck underneath it you could be fishing it out of the Corrib.

Edit: I see on the weather forum they're going on about strong wind in Cork atm.
    That's a sign of a high temperature difference between places.
    Me thinks there'll be weather tomorrow that won't be agreeable to most.

If you did think it was coming in the morning.
    At least you're forewarned and forearmed and could wrap it.

Check out the radar and sat24 in the morning. It's only a slither of a front but if you're stuck underneath it you could be fishing it out of the Corrib.

What will be will be. Going to row it up early and get the square baler greased up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement