Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

hots wrote: »
    Oh, also I have a slight yearning for us to draft Isiah Simmons... It makes no sense and isn't a need, but damn him and Jamal ****ing around causing havoc under MadGregg, it would be incredible.

Hadn't see your latest post but 100% agree. If Simmons is there at 11 absolutely take him. Can't have Adams as your top QB sacker! Super talent - I would be very surprised if he was there for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I'd love it if they got Thomas, but I can see the top 4 tackles making it outside the top 10. Wouldnt mind them taking Josh Jones at 11 either, I dont think he's as big a drop of from the top 4 as people are making out, he might not have the ceiling of Becton but I think he'd be a better day 1 starter.

I wouldnt be massively upset if they went wr at 11 as long as its Jeudy or Lamb, I dont think Ruggs would do to well in a Gase led offense

If they go d-line, i think I'll cry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Hoping for Thomas myself but I'd be shocked if he's still there. Bit of talk yesterday from Connor Hughes that the Bucs are looking to jump us for a Tackle, if that happens you'd imagine the big 4 are gone and my preference would be Lamb/Jeudy or trade back and take one of the other tackles with hopefully an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Offensive tackle at 11 and I'll be happy. Looked at Matt Millers 7 round mock on bleacher report today and you be very happy if it turned out like that for the Jets. The only weakness is he only takes 1 WR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

That'll do, absolute mountain of a man. That O Line has to be looking much more dangerous now, maybe bell won't be hit before the los every run this year 😅

• Advertisement

That'll do, absolute mountain of a man. That O Line has to be looking much more dangerous now, maybe bell won't be hit before the los every run this year ��

I think getting a tackle at 11 was the number 1 objective. Becton will definitely need to be coached up, lets hope they have the staff to do this

Can't complain about Becton at 11. Hopefully can hold down LT for the long term. 3 more picks today I think. Hopefully at least 1 WR and maybe an interior offensive lineman and a CB.

Can't complain about Becton at 11. Hopefully can hold down LT for the long term. 3 more picks today I think. Hopefully at least 1 WR and maybe an interior offensive lineman and a CB.

Personally I'd love a double WR dip with our next two picks now (depending on who's available). A rebuilt line (in progress), a new possession WR, a new 'big' WR, solid slot in Crowder and wildcard burner in Perriman and hopefully a refreshed Bell. Would have been a big offseason if we can manage that.

Draft is finally over for the Jets who took 10 players including the trade for Quincy Wilson. It's hard to know what the strategy was on day 2 and 3. Trading back worked to get extra picks but at the end of it all the Jets probably only got 3 immediate starters from the 10 including the punter. Hopefully 3 or 4 of the others will turn into solid contributors. Overall it looks like the roster has been strengthened and some depth added. My main disappointment is only taking 1 WR in a very talented class and adding a developmental QB who was drafted way too early when more important positions could be filled. Bryce Hall could be the steal of the draft if he can regain full health. I would also wonder about trading the last pick for yet another Colts cornerback. I don't remember their secondary being that good at any stage and now we have 3 of their cast offs. Anyway I am happy enough with draft and overall would give it a B-.

While a lot of the picks are high potential guys, I dont have any faith in Gase unlocking said potential. Especially for the offensive picks.
    Douglas said the pretty much took what the board gave them, so I guess he wasnt as high on the WRs in the mid/late rounds as the media seemed to be.
    I loved Wilson coming out of college, but Colts fans seem to be very happy to see him gone. I'll be interested to see what Williams can do with him

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    While a lot of the picks are high potential guys, I dont have any faith in Gase unlocking said potential. Especially for the offensive picks.
    Douglas said the pretty much took what the board gave them, so I guess he wasnt as high on the WRs in the mid/late rounds as the media seemed to be.
    I loved Wilson coming out of college, but Colts fans seem to be very happy to see him gone. I'll be interested to see what Williams can do with him

Agreed on Gase getting the potential, but really he'll only impact Mims, Perine and the UDFAs. I'd have much more faith in Gregg putting together some good looks with the defensive side of the draft.

Overall probably a B grade from me, some good talent picked up, lots of depth, but 1 or 2 offensive pieces less than I wanted. We're going to have to win with the defense in a lot of games this year imo.

Our cuts are going to be interesting, we must have about 15 DBs on the roster now, bearing in mind we've traded or spent decent capital on some of them I'm surprised we went after them as UDFAs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I have it on good authority that the Jets are signing Lamar Jackson.

He's already signed afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah, AJ Green to the Browns, too.

Some interesting UDFAs signed but will be very hard for them to make any impact with no OTAs and probably no rookie minicamps this year. Even training camp and preseason could be curtailed/delayed and I have heard mention of a shortened season. Hopefully there will be some football to watch in the Autumn/Winter.

Looking back at the draft again I wish we drafted another Guard/Center and another WR. He could have achieved this in round 4 particularly instead of Perine and Morgan. Anyway I still think it was a solid draft but might only yield 3 day 1 starters including the punter.

Some interesting UDFAs signed but will be very hard for them to make any impact with no OTAs and probably no rookie minicamps this year. Even training camp and preseason could be curtailed/delayed and I have heard mention of a shortened season. Hopefully there will be some football to watch in the Autumn/Winter.

Looking back at the draft again I wish we drafted another Guard/Center and another WR. He could have achieved this in round 4 particularly instead of Perine and Morgan. Anyway I still think it was a solid draft but might only yield 3 day 1 starters including the punter.

Yeah I certainly would have wanted one more WR at least. iOL I think is fine for this year after the off-season additions, especially when we now have a couple of tackles that could move inside in Edoga and Clarke (he's listed as a guard already on nfl.com weirdly).

When you look at the roster now, we have to be nailing the defensive side of the game, and then really hoping that Bell, Perine and presumably someone else will establish a really strong run game. Sam will have much more time to throw but still only a good slot receiver and and a strong rookie to aim for, with a poor coach to utilise them :o

Interesting that Gase's son was wearing a #26 Bell jersey during the draft. At least that's one person in the household who's fond of Bell!

franglan wrote: »
    Interesting that Gase's son was wearing a #26 Bell jersey during the draft. At least that's one person in the household who's fond of Bell!

He's also the real genius, solved a rubics cube in a round with a lunatic beside him!

Schedule is out, not bad in terms of a spread, there's no killer run of 4 unwinnable games in a row or anything. First 8 are tough enough and really we need to be getting some wins from the Bills, Broncos and Cardinals games, maybe 49ers (they're a better team but their strengths play into ours a bit) and Chargers too. Chiefs will batter us and I think the Colts will be decent this year.

Back to back Miami games is a bit funky, Pats-Dolphins-Bye-Dolphins-Raiders... you need to take 3 wins out of that to get to a respectable win number this year I think. The run in is tough, Brown and Patriots hopefully winnable to end the season.

Only bad thing about the schedule is we're going to get off to a rocky start again, no momentum to build and media/fans on the back right from the start.

Super-Optimistic prediction 10 wins
    Realistic 7
    Pessimistic 4.

Sack Gase on anything less than an 8-8.

Dont see them winning any games on the west coast, they've a horrendous recorded on that front. Throw the Chiefs and 49ers into the loss bracket as well and thats 5 Ls, there is no way they win all 6 AFCE games and the Broncos, Colts and Browns are another tough 3 games.
    I know there's always teams that over/under perform when the season actually starts but at this moment in time I dont see them getting more than 5/6 wins
    After the Patriots, they have the hardest strength of schedule so I can see the excuses rolling in for Gase already

• Advertisement

Dont see them winning any games on the west coast, they've a horrendous recorded on that front. Throw the Chiefs and 49ers into the loss bracket as well and thats 5 Ls, there is no way they win all 6 AFCE games and the Broncos, Colts and Browns are another tough 3 games.
    I know there's always teams that over/under perform when the season actually starts but at this moment in time I dont see them getting more than 5/6 wins
    After the Patriots, they have the hardest strength of schedule so I can see the excuses rolling in for Gase already

I think there's a lot of games that are close enough that you can say Gase (and Williams on D) should shoulder a lot more responsibility I think.

I reckon Seahawks and Chiefs are no hopes (although Seahawks aren't as strong at home as they used to be even). Both LA games pretty similar but small chance of an upset.

I reckon 4 out of 6 would be good enough for our division, a double over the patriots or dolphins would be sweet.

49ers (H) > Colts (A) > Browns (H) > Broncos (H) > Cardinals (H) > Raiders (H) are all differing levels of winnable, but certainly 4 of those could be feasible imo.

I think if the excuses for Gase are "he missed the playoffs but tough SOS" fair enough, but if it's "Jets are picking top 5 in the draft next year, tough SOS" f/ck that.

Would have to put the Jets at 5 or 6 wins based on the schedule. Stories being planted already saying Darnold needs to step up this season. Obviously he does but the offensive game plan needs to improve as well. Gase needs to adapt more to Sam instead of trying to make him into a pocket passer. It would be a shame to see the Jets give up on Sam if the season goes poorly. Worse case scenario would be the Jets going 3-13 blaming the SOS and Sam, and then keeping Gase after we have been forced to watch 39yr old Frank Gore average 2 yds per carry with Bell getting 9 touches a game. My post draft optimism hasn't lasted long this year.

Jets just signed Joe Flacco as a back up QB. No harm having an experienced back up when Sam misses the first 4 games with Covid 19!

Very good move tbh. That puts a nice fire underneath Sam. The guy backing up has a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

franglan wrote: »
    Very good move tbh. That puts a nice fire underneath Sam. The guy backing up has a ring.

I just read up on him ,not the best injury record and is out with a neck injury ATM.

Yep probably won't get much of a preseason due to it. For 1.5 mil it's better than David Fales.

So no Adams then by the looks of it. Massive loss to the team but he's behaving like a complete tool, I just hope we still get something half decent from the Cowboys for it.

It also makes the Davis pick far more understandable, an insurance pick that's now going to have to be cashed in. A Safety pairing of him and Maye could be fine in fairness, but what we'll struggle to replace is the QB pressure Adams was generating.

So no Adams then by the looks of it. Massive loss to the team but he's behaving like a complete tool, I just hope we still get something half decent from the Cowboys for it.

It also makes the Davis pick far more understandable, an insurance pick that's now going to have to be cashed in. A Safety pairing of him and Maye could be fine in fairness, but what we'll struggle to replace is the QB pressure Adams was generating.

Seems like a bit of a **** show alright.
    I think Maye and Davies are both stronger at FS, so I'm not sure how that would work out

Seems like a bit of a **** show alright.
    I think Maye and Davies are both stronger at FS, so I'm not sure how that would work out

I'm expecting Maye to be FS as a safetey (:o) blanket, and Davis more free to move around, it sounded as though he has played some CB and nickel when needed in college and is going to be less reliable than Maye to begin. It's a shame, I was really looking forward to seeing the three of them lining up in weird packages.

• Advertisement

So the Jamal Adams saga has ended

Pros: 2 firsts a third and a player is a serious haul for a player that has openly said they want to leave NY for the last 6 months
    I dont think Adams would have made a huge difference to the amount of games won or lost over the next two years
    Dont have to deal with any hold out drama

Cons: Have lost an All pro talent
    Next years draft is still up in the air seen as there may not be a college season this year
    Tipping point seemed to come after Adams publicly gave out about Gase/Johnsons (I'd always side with the player when its between and these 3 idiots!)

Advertisement