Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Yes yes yes, here I am sucking lemons. I've been going to Croke Park for the last ten years when the Dublin fans were at home saying their Hail Martys. I thought he was actually going to get down on his knees at the full time whistle and start sucking the Dublin players off.

The better team did NOT win yesterday. How Could Dublin be legitimate winners. They lived off scraps. And fair dues to them for taking their scores when they came. One can only applaud them. Brogan had two points from play- Gooch had 6. Donaghy kicked the score of the game. Have a look at the free count.

You cannot stand back and say the best team won.

Midfield- Kerry.
    Backs- Kerry
    Forwards- Kerry.

Most of Dublin's scores came from turnovers- 1 Goal, 3 points or the ref- 6 points. Two were cracking scores- Flynn and Brogan that Dublin won primary possession.

And the Media and Apes here say -oh wow, go Dublin, but not one person is saying that Dublin were dominant- they weren't - Kerry hammered them and were robbed. The striking yesterday was a disgrace but sure if the CHC are goint to overturn any Dublin red cards I'd be handing out lumps aswell.

And Galvin was crap for the record. Totally unprepared for the intensity of a final

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

But Kerry were the better team for the first 10 minutes, and almost the entire second half:confused:

Almost...is the key word.

Let's be honest, when Kerry were 4 points ahead with just 7 minutes left I was expecting them to romp home. That's what they do to most teams.

However, Dublin were just that bit fitter than most teams and seemed to have more desire than Kerry yesterday.

Jack O' Connor was very gracious in defeat and I'm sure he will rebuild a new team for next year.

Congratulations to both teams who helped to make the final the great spectacle it turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

ha ha ha ha!!!

just a tad bitter Incognito?

Your biased view of the game is laughable

Have some class and be a gracious loser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I thought he was actually going to get down on his knees at the full time whistle and start sucking the Dublin players off.

Thats well out of order and disgusting. I'm all for a bit of banter but grow up.

You're just making it worse for yourself and sweeter for the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes yes yes, here I am sucking lemons. I've been going to Croke Park for the last ten years when the Dublin fans were at home saying their Hail Martys. I thought he was actually going to get down on his knees at the full time whistle and start sucking the Dublin players off.

The better team did NOT win yesterday. How Could Dublin be legitimate winners. They lived off scraps. And fair dues to them for taking their scores when they came. One can only applaud them. Brogan had two points from play- Gooch had 6. Donaghy kicked the score of the game. Have a look at the free count.

Midfield- Kerry.
    Backs- Kerry
    Forwards- Kerry.

Most of Dublin's scores came from turnovers- 1 Goal, 3 points or the ref- 6 points. Two were cracking scores- Flynn and Brogan that Dublin won primary possession.

And the Media and Apes here say -oh wow, go Dublin, but not one person is saying that Dublin were dominant- they weren't - Kerry hammered them and were robbed. The striking yesterday was a disgrace but sure if the CHC are goint to overturn any Dublin red cards I'd be handing out lumps aswell.

And Galvin was crap for the record. Totally unprepared for the intensity of a final

Venomous drivel.....

Your getting worse, at least its bringing a smile to my face :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

a great kerry side......what does that make dublin.........what a game.....super......Dublin needed a lift , and a brilliant display of football yesterday provided that , COME ON YE BOYS IN BLUE :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

It was a fitting end that Cluxton kicked the winning point over Donaghy, as Donaghy had gone straight into Cluxton when he missed his 1st free attempt to engage in some sledging. Donaghy must be doing his ref badge because he spent more time yesterday trying to ref the game, constantly telling the ref what decision he should make. Well done Dublin, their desire to win pulled them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

some analysis on the ref yesterday..

From a Dublin perspective, it might seem like sour grapes to focus on the performance of the man in the middle, but one can’t ignore the fact that Joe McQuillan got a number of crucial calls wrong at headquarters yesterday.

It was an issue that was exacerbated on The Sunday Game last night and although the helter-skelter nature of proceedings and the difficulty of making such crucial decisions in the heat of the moment must be considered, McQuillan must take some responsibility for his poor decisions, the majority of which seemed to go against the losers.

Joe McQuillan didn't have his best day at the office yesterday

Off the top of our heads, frees awarded to Barry Cahill and Ger Brennan in the first half and against Eoin Brosnan in the second half looked a tad controversial, while the free that gave Stephen Cluxton the opportunity to win the All-Ireland was generous considering that the luckless Barry John Keane stood his ground and made no move towards the onrushing Kevin McManamon.

When they eventually reflect on what must have been a soul-destroying loss, the Kerry players and management will look back on a few calls that didn’t go their way in a questionable refereeing performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Midfield- Kerry.
    Backs- Kerry
    Forwards- Kerry.

Of all the nonsense in your above post I feel only the following needs to be said
    Kerry hammered them and were robbed.

They scored only 3 times in the first half and you call this a hammering?
    How Could Dublin be legitimate winners.

Beacuse they had a higher score when the final whistle was blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stopped reading after this.

You have no class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Where to start.

Firstly- the better team lost. .

Absolute tosh. Kerry and Dublin were almost neck and neck, and the result was decided by an ice-cool strike from distance. Claiming that one team was "better" is rubbish, especially in light of the fact that Kerry scored 1-2 in the first half. Both teams had purple patches, it was just the case that Dublin took more scores. Thus, when such a game is neck and neck, the team which takes most scoring chances is entitled to claim an entitlement to the crown.
    I had my head in my hands as soon as I took my seat and saw the programme and saw McQuillan was ref- he is utterly awful. Even if you don't agree he was biased you can hopefully agree he was pathetic. My favourite retarded decision of the day was awarding Dublin a free in from 10 yards after Brosnan kicked the ball off the turf with gesticulations that he handled it- If he handled it it should have been a penalty. Awful stuff. .

As did I. Kerrymen would not be the only ones worried at the prospect of McQuillen. However, Dublin also had Coldrick on the line with McEaneney to contend with from the sideline. As far as I was concerned, this was the Anti-Dream Team from a Dublin perspective. After the Tyrone game, we knew McQuillan was whistle happy, and not always in favour of Dublin
    Kerry won practically every midfield kick out, created more chances, took better scores and scored from distance..

Great attempt at revisionism to prove your point. Clearly you dont remember the points by Bernard Brogan, Kevin Nolan, both Cluxton points and Alan Brogan's second. These were good scoring opportunites, from distance, and Dublin sank them. Equally, when the majority of kick-outs were not straight shoot-outs between the respective midfields, it renders you benchmark somewhat null and void.
    Dublin had 1-12. They also had 6 points from frees.

Kerry hat 1-11 They had 4 points from frees- All in the second half...

Utterly irrelevant, unless you are trying to suggest that points from frees should count for less?
    Kerry did not get ONE free inside 50 yards in the first half. And not due to Dublin's defence, which was excellent all day, but due to the ref refusing to call anything at all. Dublin should have had at least two men sent off yesterday but the ref bottled it. Declan O Sullivan gave away the handpass that lead to the goal but the poor lad was laid out clean with a face to face elbow to the head and that was only a yellow apparantly....

First, the Brennan incident looks different from every angle. Most members of the commentariat would agree that there was little he could do, as O'Sullivan was going to ground, and Brennan's momentum was unlikely to prevent such a collision. Im not sure who the other players who should have been sent off were, but the incidents cannot have been that serious as I cannot really remember them. Blaming the Brennan incident for McManamon's fine goal is simply pathetic. In fact, I would claim it is the most pathetic excuse I have heard on this board. Perhaps you should just give credit to A.Brogan, and McManamon for a fine goal?
    Brogan, so called player of the year kicked 2 points from play and was Dublin's top scorer. Dublin's tactic in the second half when Kerry were dominant was put the head down and run into a tackle and the ref would blow for a free. Useless.....

Again, blaming opponants tactics for one's teams own failings is nonsense. If Kerry were as good as the pundits, and the amateur commentariat told us they were, Dublin would not have got a sniff in the game. For the second year in a row, Kerry have failed to take Sam. This has not occurred since the barren spell between 2000-2004. This would suggest that Kerry may need to consider the employment of a new system, and thus resiling from their adherence to the old style of play which was common-place before the likes of Westmeath and Tyrone enjoyed varying degrees of success with a different system.
    I am hurt and ashamed when a useless scrag of a ref like this can decide the Final. These players sacrifice everything for the game- It is not Dublin's fault- they took their chances when it was given to them and gladly, and fair dues to them- they had the bottle and the nerve to come back but a lot of the Dublin supporters will look at that game and know that Kerry were robbed plain and simple..

Not at all. Dublin will not "know" anything. Kerry had a four point lead with 5 mins to go. If anything, Kerry robbed themselves. If the roles had been reversed, people would be gloating about how Dublin "bottled it". We would not have been given the chance to complain about the referee, and we would have been told to accept the fact that the team "wasnt good enough".

Dublin will be there for the next 6-7 years, players like Thomas O Shea deserved to retire with dignity that their play deserved without some clown from Cavan gifting Dublin scores and refusing to take any sanctions against strikes to the head.

Remember 2007 when Galvin was beating the head of Paul Casey in the AI Semi Final? Remember Kennelly in 2009? Remember Aiden O'Mahoney's showmanship in 2008 against Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Midfield- Kerry.
    Backs- Kerry
    Forwards- Kerry.

Wow. This is really getting pathetic.

Cut the meagre amount of false modesty. It is not going to cut any ice.

Dublin:

All Ireland Champions 2011.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

some analysis on the ref yesterday..

Analysis? One sided mealy mouthed rubbish isn't analysis. Half of it doesn't even make sense, if you are going to try and stick in long words you should look up their actual meaning.

Met some great gracious Kerry people last night and after the game, people should remember that every county has their few bad apples and not take the posts on boards as true representation of a counties attitude in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I was cheering on Kerry as being from Kildare living in Dublin I'm never going to shout for the dubs. Nothing against Dublin, I admire their players and I said at the start of the year this All ireland was between Cork and Dublin with the injuries that decimated Cork ending their challenge.

A couple of things I took from the game:

- Kerry should have won as they had the 4 point lead with 10 mins to go and Dublin had reverted to stupid fouling like Cork last year.
    - At the same time Dublin should have been up by 5 points at half time as B Brogan blew a simple free and Alan Brogan missed a one on one pointblank goal chance.
    - Kevin Mcmanamon was the difference between Dublin as All ireland champions and dublin of old. He won the Semi and the Final for Dublin and is a huge weapon to bring off the bench and unlease on a tiring team. How a lad that good can't make the first fifteen shows that this Dublin team have serious depth.
    - Kerry should have got more scores from Donaghy's presence as he dominated O'Carroll. Kerry should have played it more directly.
    - Dublin were favoured by the ref slightly, although the last free Cluxton kicked looked to be a trip in fairness.
    - Donaghy lost a hop ball in the lead up to Dublins winner, it was a good indication of how hungry Dublin were when the game was back in the melting pot in the final 5 mins. Donaghy is 6ft5' and has a background in Basketball, he nearly always wins hopballs.
    - Dublin and Cork are the new order when it comes to GAA, Kerry are probably going to lose 4 defenders over the next 1-2 years and don't seem to have the talent coming through, although someone in Kerry would be better able to answer that. Darragh O'se is also still a hole that Kerry have yet to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

what I would have given to have been sitting beside Icognito in the last 7 minutes,.

No wait, he probably wasnt there and was watching the soccer in some Pub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

lads I heard that the Dublin players (some anyway) are still in Coppers?? Any truth in this? Hilarious if it is :D

I'd like to prefix this by saying any Kerry supporters that I met in person were genuinely gracious in defeat because they understand the game and that sometimes they win and sometimes they'll lose but either way they'll be back and I salute that. One thing that bothers me about a lot of Kerry supporters in here though is the offering of congratulations to Dublin on one hand and then negating it by ranting about the ref. We don't need or want your crumbs of congratulation, you either congratulate or don't but if you do then leave it at that. We are Champions of Ireland and throughly deserve it. Let us enjoy our victory in a bit of peace, lord knows we've had to do the same to so many other teams over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Galtee wrote: »
    I'd like to prefix this by saying any Kerry supporters that I met in person were genuinely gracious in defeat because they understand the game and that sometimes they win and sometimes they'll lose but either way they'll be back and I salute that.

Keyboard warriors say allot of things.

Winning an all-ireland would mean allot to any supporter and it's been a long wait for Dublin. Whilst I have my reservations about some of the things I saw after the game, it would be a mean soul that wasn't affected by the massive relief and joy at the final whistle. I was sitting beside a sound out lad who was shaking for most of the game. Shook his hand and wished him a great night before leaving.

Ye have to be magnanimous in victory and defeat. There are always exceptions but any Kerry supporter I know who goes to matches (bar one) takes it as a given that you have to lose gracefully.
    One thing that bothers me about a lot of Kerry supporters in here though is the offering of congratulations to Dublin on one hand and then negating it by ranting about the ref. We don't need or want your crumbs of congratulation, you either congratulate or don't but if you do then leave it at that. We are Champions of Ireland and throughly deserve it. Let us enjoy our victory in a bit of peace, lord knows we've had to do the same to so many other teams over the years.

I don't actually agree with that, sorry. I wasn't impressed with the referee and it's something that should be analysed *later* on. I agree that wheeling it out so soon smacks of sour grapes which is why I wouldn't even mention it now.

But I think later on it deserves a mention. And it in no way denigrates or lessens Dublin's achievement. Ye went out and beat what was on front of you, on the terms of engagement that were dictated to ye. Fair play: that's all a team can do.

Dublin are the best team in Ireland and deserved All Ireland Champions. It's up to everyone else now to man up and take ye on next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Midfield- Kerry.
    Backs- Kerry
    Forwards- Kerry.
    =
    A Dublin win

Kerry are the most cynical shower of tacklers in the game.
    If you are gonna criticise the ref perhaps you could do us all a favour and go back through numerous games where kerry got away with murder (as mentioned here numerous times- The Kenneally incident against Cork) then come back on here and start to have a balanced view.
    You were beaten - perhaps at your own game - and it's not going down too well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

lads I heard that the Dublin players (some anyway) are still in Coppers?? Any truth in this? Hilarious if it is :D

I'd say there was rooms put on for them upstairs - them and their groupies.
    .. the offering of congratulations to Dublin on one hand and then negating it by ranting about the ref

Theres a lot of 'Congratulations but....' and 'No sour grapes but.. <sour grapes>

Also "Dublin put a lot of effort in to getting here" "They worked hard" "They're well organised".

Imagine what we could do if we could play football as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Ger Brennan was on Today FM outside Coppers just after 9 this morning. Ray D'Arcy asked him what time he got to Coppers at...... Brennan responded 'At about half 2 or a quarter to 4!!' :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

flanzer wrote: »
    Ger Brennan was on Today FM outside Coppers just after 9 this morning. Ray D'Arcy asked him what time he got to Coppers at...... Brennan responded 'At about half 2 or a quarter to 4!!' :D:D

Ha, would have liked to have heard that, although any interview involving sports people done by Tubridy or Darcy is always a cringe fest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Midfield- Kerry.
    Backs- Kerry
    Forwards- Kerry.

Completely inappropriate. Particularly the bit in bold. Infraction given.

quad_red wrote: »

Winning an all-ireland would mean allot to any supporter and it's been a long wait for Dublin. Whilst I have my reservations about some of the things I saw after the game, it would be a mean soul that wasn't affected by the massive relief and joy at the final whistle. I was sitting beside a sound out lad who was shaking for most of the game. Shook his hand and wished him a great night before leaving.

Ye have to be magnanimous in victory and defeat. There are always exceptions but any Kerry supporter I know who goes to matches (bar one) takes it as a given that you have to lose gracefully.

I don't actually agree with that, sorry. I wasn't impressed with the referee and it's something that should be analysed *later* on. I agree that wheeling it out so soon smacks of sour grapes which is why I wouldn't even mention it now.

But I think later on it deserves a mention. And it in no way denigrates or lessens Dublin's achievement. Ye went out and beat what was on front of you, on the terms of engagement that were dictated to ye. Fair play: that's all a team can do.

Dublin are the best team in Ireland and deserved All Ireland Champions. It's up to everyone else now to man up and take ye on next year.
    Agreed.
    I wasn't impressed with the referee and it's something that should be analysed *later* on.

I don't see the point in retro anaysing this, it's not going to change the result so either offer congrates for the game and forget about it or don't and analyse it.

To me this is a little contradictory considering your intention to retrospecitvely analyse the refs performance. Magnanimous, yet still going to pick holes in the ref?

The ref did make bad decisions for both teams as previousy mentioned. I understand that usually which ever team loses will try and pick holes in whatever they can (usually the ref) and if Dublin had lost maybe the shoe would be on the other foot but I genuinely try and look at the game as fairly as I can and in my honest opinion I think the refs decisions evened out over both sides and as such neither side could have any real grievence with how the match was refereed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone else a little disappointed in Cullen's Sam Maguire winning speech yesterday?

I know it was brief and to the point, but Dublin hasn't won for 16 years. I was expecting something a little more from him to be honest.

Didnt thank Vodafone either, who bankrolled the whole thing, wouldn;t say they were happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The ref did make bad decisions for both teams as previousy mentioned. I understand that usually which ever team loses will try and pick holes in whatever they can (usually the ref) and if Dublin had lost maybe the shoe would be on the other foot but I genuinely try and look at the game as fairly as I can and in my honest opinion I think the refs decisions evened out over both sides and as such neither side could have any real grievence with how the match was refereed.

Have to agree with you here, Joe McQuillan was equally abysmal for both teams.

Some blatant frees were let go, whilst some very soft ones were blown up and even resulted in yellow cards.

Very much out of his depth. But this is what we come to expect from the GAA. Regardless of past performances of referee's, the same ones will be out again next week getting the big matches.

Joe McQuillan is not an intercounty standard referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

As a culchie, I never like seeing Dublin do well of course but I can still say fair play to the team and their fans.

Joe Brolly came across as very bitter about Dublin winning yesterday. Anytime the other lads had anything positive to say about Dublin he turned it into an argument.

Colm O'Rourke said he had been at other All-Ireland Finals, Champions League finals, Heineken Cup finals, etc and he had never seen so many fans staying so long after the final whistle. Brolly responded by saying "well its easy for the Dubs because they live close to the stadium not like Chelsea or Kerry fans.":rolleyes: Technically correct, but why say it?

Before the game the guys were saying it would be good for Dublin if they won the GAA as it would encourage more people to play GAA rather than Soccer or Rugby and again Joe Brolly couldn't accept this and kept arguing saying it wouldn't be good for the game. He started the same argument afterwards when Pat Spillane made the same comment.

Then when Pat and Colm were saying this is a young Dublin team that could go on and win plenty more All-Ireland, Joe disagreed said that this Dublin team would be remembered as one which struggled to score against Donegal in the semi-finals!! Eh, they won the game!

I've honestly never seen so much bitterness from one man, and he's supposed to be an unbiased pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

DUBLIN WIN THE ALL IRELAND I CANT ****ING BELIEVE IT :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Was at the game yesterday and I must say I really enjoyed it, The Hill in full voice is something very special. Both teams went hell for leather in what was a very sporting contest. Kerry people will be scratching their heads in disbelief at how they lost, I know a few posters on here have complained about the ref, but lads when yer 4 points up and in control of a game with 7 minutes to go ye should've closed it out. Any team that concedes 1-3 in the final few minutes of a game doesn't deserve to win. Fair play to Dublin though, I thought the game was up as well but they dug deep and pulled it out of the fire. Leaders were needed and Brogan, Cluxton and Mc Menamin stepped up. He hasn't got much of a mention but I thought Michael Daragh Mc Cauley was outstanding, won alot of dirty ball Paul Galvin style. The atmosphere in the ground at the end was electric, grown men reduced to tears. Pillar Caffrey was just in front of us on the pitch and he was going bezerk, it was a great win for the Dubs and richly deserved. Congratulations and enjoy the celebrations, it's been a long time coming. I was there last year when we won and the feeling was just fantastic, was disappointed we collapsed against Mayo but that's sport. Bring on 2012!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

whycliff wrote: »
    Anyone else a little disappointed in Cullen's Sam Maguire winning speech yesterday?

I know it was brief and to the point, but Dublin hasn't won for 16 years. I was expecting something a little more from him to be honest.

Didnt thank Vodafone either, who bankrolled the whole thing, wouldn;t say they were happy.
    I think the fans where also waiting for a thank you.
    I genuinely think he was a bit overwhelmed

Advertisement