Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

I'm off to get old Krusty my favorite wanksock,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

*closes laptop*

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Well that was ... wet.

It's all in the timing, eh ak!?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's all in the timing, eh ak!?

Hey, if everyone wants to think I was talking about that, who am I stop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

GTA 5 online confuses me. What's the goal?

• Advertisement

You've already lost.

To not admit playing video games past your 16th bday would be my guess

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To not admit playing video games past your 16th bday would be my guess

Jaysus, games are great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Yeah I've never understood why games get a hard time as an art form. People say they are a waste of time and then watch Geordie shore for hours on end.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Yeah I've never understood why games get a hard time as an art form. People say they are a waste of time and then watch Geordie shore for hours on end.

I'd rather play the feckin games than watch that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah come on, an art form? A hobby maybe, but I wouldn't call GTA or CoD art! Then again, a lot of "art" I wouldn't call art either... :rolleyes:

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah come on, an art form? A hobby maybe, but I wouldn't call GTA or CoD art! Then again, a lot of "art" I wouldn't call art either... :rolleyes:

Well if you are calling a tv show art then surely games fall into that category? I'd agree on COD but something like gta has a huge amount of depth, a good story, and character development. It's no more or less a waste of time then any movie or tv show, there's good and bad in every entertainment medium.

Zzippy wrote: »

Games are like books and movies.

awec wrote: »
    Games are like books and movies.

In the fact that they are visual, but that's where the similarities end imo

Loads of today's games have movie-like storylines. They are even moving toward using actual actors in them.

Kevin Spacey is in Call of Duty:

kevin-spacey.jpg?itok=jWQN_bgh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Far from it, a lot of games these days have intricate story lines and plots themselves.

Games are entertainment, media, etc. Not too sure about art, but some game developers certainly take it to that level in terms of what they love, but for the majority it's just a cash cow.

I'm an avid gamer, nor am I afraid to admit it. MSII is just jealous because all they have in the south-west to entertain themselves is real life GTA. ;)

But seriously, I'm not as big into gaming as I once was - it was a good part of my job as I sold PC components so I was very much into it, and I am now what we used to refer to as a 'casual gamer', someone you used to look down upon when you were deep in the world of PC gaming. :P Now adays I find gaming a great form of escapism, and why not? Some people like to shut out the outside world (read: girlfriend) by delving into a book, or watching a movie. Gaming offers the same thing, a chance to shut out the outside world and play through a story or challenge yourself to distraction. After a stressful day at the office it can be nice to unwind for an hour with a joypad in your hand.

To compare Kevin Spacey in that, acting by numbers gig, as opposed to The Usual Suspects, or GG Ross is not on.
    Actors bring out the best in their craft when interacting with others and it enhances the viewers pleasure. You know you're watching a masterpiece...games, while they have nice graphics, and lots of bang bang noises, aren't even close to being the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I used to be fairly into gaming in my 20s. I was never big into it, but I enjoyed it. The last few years I've tried a number of games that I've started but haven't finished. I get them as present for birthdays or Christmas. But I've found so many of them so repetitive and/or so utterly uninspiring that I'll have given up on them pretty quickly.

There are games that have a coherent plot and narrative like Heavy Rain for example or even the Drake series. Real characters and real storytelling is an art form. But most games simply don't have that. Most are just a series of excuses for action sequences or whatever. The CoD, Battlefield and MoH games just get re-released again and again with slight differences that barely register.

A lot of the games that are hugely popular at the moment are, IMO, mind rot in the same way that the likes of Geordie Shore are mind rot. And if you've loads of free time and want to indulge in that then that's fine. To each their own. But I wouldn't be looking down on those reality TV shows from the lofty heights of something like the CoD franchse.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

PC all the way, but I can't WAIT to get my hands on this: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-forge-tv

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

molloyjh wrote: »
    I used to be fairly into gaming in my 20s. I was never big into it, but I enjoyed it. The last few years I've tried a number of games that I've started but haven't finished. I get them as present for birthdays or Christmas. But I've found so many of them so repetitive and/or so utterly uninspiring that I'll have given up on them pretty quickly.

There are games that have a coherent plot and narrative like Heavy Rain for example or even the Drake series. Real characters and real storytelling is an art form. But most games simply don't have that. Most are just a series of excuses for action sequences or whatever. The CoD, Battlefield and MoH games just get re-released again and again with slight differences that barely register.

A lot of the games that are hugely popular at the moment are, IMO, mind rot in the same way that the likes of Geordie Shore are mind rot. And if you've loads of free time and want to indulge in that then that's fine. To each their own. But I wouldn't be looking down on those reality TV shows from the lofty heights of something like the CoD franchse.

Was thinking just this as I installed Windows 3.1 inside Dos Box to play Sim Tower a couple of days ago... what the HELL did I spend so much time playing in my youth >_<

GTA San Andreas was on sale for Xbox last week for like 3 quid or something.

Bought it and it brought back loads of memories!

I think the last game I bought was Fifa2001

I got it too, absolutely fantastic. Still stands up today even with the dated graphics.

I think the last game I bought was Fifa2001

My first game ever iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Dismissing as creative a platform as gaming as mere bangs and whistles shows a mindset limited, perhaps, by a generation gap. There are plenty of awful games that are little more than shovelware but you are looking in the wrong places if that's all you see. There are also plenty of popcorn games that aren't meant to be anything more than fun time fillers. You're going to get that from the big developers who at the end of the day are out to make a buck however indie developers are regularly releasing games that have as much artistic merit as your favourite painter or director.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

GTA 5 was my first GTA game. I was blown away at the level of detail. The effort and budget for the game must have been insane. Brilliant characters, storyline, humour etc.

It was very clever by rockstar to wait a year before releasing the current gen versions. I'm sure millions, like me, have both previous and current gen releases.

GTA 5 is my favourite game now, but MGS is still my favorite series! For a storyline within a game, nothing beat MGS1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Teferi wrote: »
    Dismissing as creative a platform as gaming as mere bangs and whistles shows a mindset limited, perhaps, by a generation gap. There are plenty of awful games that are little more than shovelware but you are looking in the wrong places if that's all you see. There are also plenty of popcorn games that aren't meant to be anything more than fun time fillers. You're going to get that from the big developers who at the end of the day are out to make a buck however indie developers are regularly releasing games that have as much artistic merit as your favourite painter or director.

It probably is a generation gap thing - I was never into gaming and am a bit old now to bother. But I just chuckle when I hear gaming and art in the same sentence... I don't call it art when I go fishing, even though I'm out in beautiful landscapes and casting a beautiful line - Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It was rubbish by comparison ;) - it's just fishing, a hobby. Gaming is a hobby and the platform is digital code - I fail to see how that could be construed as art.

GTA 5 was my first GTA game. I was blown away at the level of detail. The effort and budget for the game must have been insane. Brilliant characters, storyline, humour etc.

It was very clever by rockstar to wait a year before releasing the current gen versions. I'm sure millions, like me, have both previous and current gen releases.

GTA 5 is my favourite game now, but MGS is still my favorite series! For a storyline within a game, nothing beat MGS1.

I must have completed the first MGS about 20 times when I was younger.

Remember ye had to change discs at one point? :D

Also, for GTA I think San Andreas is the most expansive one of the lot. But the missions in older GTAs were more annoying because if you died or failed you had to redo it from the very start. There were also a lot more dull missions compared to GTA5.

• Advertisement

My first game ever iirc.

I'm too old to be cool :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement