Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Gogan leaving 2fm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Complete this phrase "Beware the Ides of ....?"

"In the Eye of the Beholder"

• Registered Users Posts: 72,114 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘Arena’ Grande?

God bless you, Larry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Abba - Dancing Queen. 3:22 on a week day god bless anyone tuning in for Pump up the slump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This is nice, some proper old songs on the Golden Hour.

I feel like Grandpa Simpson and his buddies when the Retirement Home let them watch Matlock on the Television.

Aslan, followed by Joe Dolan :)

• Advertisement

HE’S NOT RETIRING!!

*hic*

Complete the title of this TV show: “Midsomer...?”

“Night’s Dream.”

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

Aslan, followed by Joe Dolan :)

We will NEVER, EVER hear Joe Dolan on 2fm again!

Like Clockwork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Heard a lot of Irish bands. Did he play the Cranberries?

• Advertisement

Heard a lot of Irish bands. Did he play the Cranberries?

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He could have done a golden hour afternoon!! Was a great hour

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I liked McDermott playing audio of Larry reading a letter from a 17 year in the seventies giving out about songs with lyrics that are pure filth, then playing 'Don't Ya' by the Pussycat Dolls straight after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

gamecube wrote: »
    First time Ian Dempsey has been heard on 2fm since 1998

not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ride her like horse

The last golden hour was great but I didn't like how they rehashed the same kind tribute that was done on liveline a few weeks ago again on the Tracy Clifford show, Larry clearly isn't in the best of health and I think it was a bit too much for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Ah crikey - just saw the clip of Larry's exit from 2FM on the News. The poor auld divil is on a zimmerframe. That shook me. I always thought of Larry Gogan as a sort of fossil suspended in Amber .... spared from the ugliness of the aging process. G'wan Larry - ya good thing ya. Long life & happiness to you.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

The last golden hour was great but I didn't like how they rehashed the same kind tribute that was done on liveline a few weeks ago again on the Tracy Clifford show, Larry clearly isn't in the best of health and I think it was a bit too much for him.

Agreed...the Liveline show was far better - and Tracy Clifford was a bit over the top, trying to shoehorn the word ‘legend’ in at every opportunity. This must be the way ‘yoof’ dj’s talk nowadays. :(

DEkBaru.jpg

cena wrote: »
    2fm have chris and ciara going around the country so people can a leaving card for larry.

You would think he is leaving the radio for good, when he isn't

I'd imagine it's a pretty safe bet that they'll be using his back catalogue of golden hours on RTE Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Ah crikey - just saw the clip of Larry's exit from 2FM on the News. The poor auld divil is on a zimmerframe. That shook me. I always thought of Larry Gogan as a sort of fossil suspended in Amber .... spared from the ugliness of the aging process. G'wan Larry - ya good thing ya. Long life & happiness to you.

Yeah it surprised me too. He's frail but his voice and mind are as sharp as ever. Still sounds exactly the same as 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Larry was more than The Golden Hour and the Just a Minute quiz everyone seems to be referring to.

He has presented a good few TV programmes with the showbands and dancing type shows in the 60s and 70s.
    And the video Golden Hour in the early 90s.

Not forgetting the Irish Chart shows on Radio Eireann and 2FM right up to when Tony Fenton took over in 2001 era (Think Larry returned to the charts when Tony left for Today FM). I know Larry did a one off chart show just last year on 2FM.

Is Larry on 2FM this weekend?

My first memory of Larry was him doing a chart count down on Radio 1, on a Sunday , then the charts got suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭bureau2009

When 2FM started back in 1979 with Larry on the opening show he had already spent 18 years with RTE Radio!

Before Radio 2/2FM started there were almost no pop music shows on radio.

However, one of the highlights of the week was Larry Gogan's Disc-a-Gogan show on RTE Radio on Thursdays at 7pm. Larry played snippets of new releases, everything from David Bowie to Big Tom and then went on to do the Top 10 chart singles - which often included showband acts along with all the songs that were charting in the UK.

Top of the Pops was also on Thursdays at 7.30 pm so many people listened to Discs-a-Gogan until 7.30 pm and then switched to BBC TV. Scheduling was never RTE's strongest point!

Larry was billed as Ireland's leading DJ back in the day. I think he used to DJ in the TV Club in Harcourt Street back a very long time ago.

Other broadcasting giants from Larry's era left RTE Radio without much celebration and under a cloud, Val, Brendan, Donnacha

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Other broadcasting giants from Larry's era left RTE Radio without much celebration and under a cloud, Val, Brendan, Donnacha

They weren’t there as long as Lorcan.

Tubs pretty much said to Larry, you are going to die soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Listen back to 10 minute interview with Larry Gogan about his career to date
    https://tunein.com/podcasts/News--Politics-Podcasts/RT---Drivetime-p856/

on RTÉ Gold
    Programme title: "The Classic Album"
    7:00-7:45pm Sunday evening 3rd February
    A listen to some of the best loved albums of all time.
    Presented by Larry Gogan.

Larry is also to present a show called "Larry at Lunchtime" on RTÉ Gold starting Tuesday February 12th at 1:00pm
    https://www.facebook.com/rtegoldradio/

TEXT/WHATSAPP 087 3 771 771

Ways to listen to digital-only radio station: RTÉ Gold:

http://av.rasset.ie/av/live/radio/gold.m3u
    Saorview Channel Nbr: LCN 208
    on DAB (using DAB receiver) for those listeners based in Dublin and the North East, Cork city and Limerick city.
    on the Irish Radioplayer app for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
    on the RTÉ Radio Player App for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
    https://tunein.com/radio/RT-Gold-s66886/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Tubs pretty much said to Larry, you are going to die soon

The light deft touch of the skilled interviewer there............

RINO87 wrote: »
    We will NEVER, EVER hear Joe Dolan on 2fm again!

Agreed. We will never hear a good few of those songs Larry played on his final 2FM show.

Like when John Clarke finished up the biggest jukebox on 2FM a few years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

This is the longest goodbye in history in fairness and he is'nt actually even gone FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

In fairness to Larry, if you heard him interviewed on Thursday 31st January when 2FM dedicated Larry's last day on the station as: "LarryGoganFM" he was clearly very uncomfortable about RTÉ going over the top as he made no secret of the fact that he was moving over to RTÉ Gold and not retiring. It looks like Larry had little or no input directly into it. He comes across as a very humble man who really enjoyed entertaining his audience down through the years. A lot of artists and bands from at home & abroad across various music genres paid warm tributes to Larry for promoting them in their early days. I also hope that Larry's move to RTÉ Gold will result in more & more listeners tuning into that station leading to it becoming more of a presence in the years ahead.

• Advertisement

Larry's historic final show on 2FM here:....an obvious choice to play 'Like Clockwork' as his last tune!!

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b1%5F10995119%5F1023%5F31%2D01%2D2019%5F

Advertisement