Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Gogan leaving 2fm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

He's 84, Im amazed hes still working or that they let him work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I don't think being a DJ really suited him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I don't get this, he's moving to 2fm digital. He's still going to be employed by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

But he ain't leaving, he still has a 1pm slot online weekdays....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Will they bring him back on to play the first Xmas song in December?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Jesus, what part of 'leaving 2fm' do people not understand?

Anyway, here's a photo gallery of the man himself. A genuine legend of Irish radio, and (let's face it), way more suited to RTE Gold, so let's hope he has a few more years left in him.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0108/1021876-in-pictures-the-legendary-career-of-larry-gogan/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jesus, what part of 'leaving 2fm' do people not understand?

Anyway, here's a photo gallery of the man himself. A genuine legend of Irish radio, and (let's face it), way more suited to RTE Gold, so let's hope he has a few more years left in him.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0108/1021876-in-pictures-the-legendary-career-of-larry-gogan/

Leaving 2fm yes but does sort of sound like retirement but isn't as he is staying on.

I think it should be opened up to younger people to be honest he has done his but now let someone else have a go.

I did see as I read the story but just commented on he isn't actually leaving rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think, without being facetious, he's as good as gone. What's the listenership for RTE Gold?

My Dad always had him on in the car picking us up from school in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I did see as I read the story but just commented on he isn't actually leaving rte.

Whatever contract he has it must be absolutely bulletproof :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 72,251 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

After all these years, it seems that Dan Healy and Dee Forbes have finally listened to us boardises, and moved Larry to where he is much better suited.

An absolute gent, and always good to listen to.

I’ll be tuning in :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

He's 84, Im amazed hes still working or that they let him work.

No different to Gay Byrne! A job in RTE is no different to Irish politics.
    You're guaranteed a job for life unless of course your a female! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Is there nothing people on the radio forum won't sh*t all over?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

"Digital" seems to be where they put them out to pasture these days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Not really a fan of Larry's but when RTE Radio 2/2FM started back in 1979 who could have possibly thought that Larry would remain there longer than anyone else (apart from Dave Fanning).

Larry and John Bowman must be RTE's longest serving staff at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Larry is a contractor not staff

Larry is a contractor not staff

Would he do an attic conversion for me....:D

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Not really a fan of Larry's but when RTE Radio 2/2FM started back in 1979 who could have possibly thought that Larry would remain there longer than anyone else (apart from Dave Fanning).

Larry and John Bowman must be RTE's longest serving staff at this stage.

Would have thought Gaybo was there longer....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Would have thought Gaybo was there longer....:confused:
    Yes, Gaybo goes back further than anyone. However, he is not currently on air.

Having him back on radio would be mega :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

RTÉ have this article of the funny answers on the Just-A-Minute quiz.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0108/1021955-comedy-gold-the-ten-best-just-a-minute-answers/

Looks like someone just googled funny quiz answers and had a go at Photoshop. I left a comment pointing out that the last one (bird with a long neck) is from Family Fortunes. I doubt my comment will be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RTE should replace Larry's time slot with Dave Fanning with his chat show and also playing the best of indie and dance over the past 40 years. Sort of a 2FM Greatest Hits.

But we all know it will be one of the youth presenters that has been filling in for Larry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

love larry.
    hope he has a long happy retirement.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

love larry.
    hope he has a long happy retirement.

Larry: Complete the saying "As happy as...

Contestant: Emmm...

Larry: Think of me...

Contestant: A pig in sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Austin Mayo

Laura Fox is replacing Larry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Laura Fox is replacing Larry

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Austin Mayo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who?

She is a former entertainment reporter with Goss.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

"End of an era – Larry Gogan’s Just a Minute Quiz won’t feature on Golden Hour on RTE Gold" is the headline on Entertainment>Radio article.

Reading the above article published on Independent.ie online and I thought for a brief moment that "GOLD FM" was a new radio station altogether as "RTÉ Gold" is regarded as a digital only station and is NOT officially available on FM unless you happen to be listening to a simulcast of it's output when RTÉ Radio 1 broadcasts a segment called: "RTE Gold on RTE Radio 1" between 03:00 - 05:30am.

I gather that Larry's shows will probably be pre-recorded or perhaps some old archive material of Larry's shows might be re-broadcast on RTÉ Gold if they are avoiding live interaction with listeners on the "Just-A-Minute, the 60 Second Quiz!

Larry Gogan - such a legend in pop music broadcasting down through the years and was a cornerstone of RTÉ Radio 2FM since day one way back in 1979!

https://gold.rte.ie/

http://av.rasset.ie/av/live/radio/gold.m3u

Irish Radioplayer app for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

RTÉ Radio Player App for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

on DAB (if you have a DAB receiver) which is available to listeners living in Dublin and the North East, Cork city and Limerick city.

Saorview LCN: 208

Text/WHATSAPP: 087 3 771 771

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/end-of-an-era-larry-gogans-just-a-minute-quiz-wont-feature-on-golden-hour-on-rte-gold-37691576.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Even when you look at a photo of Larry when he was young, he still looked old!

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Even when you look at a photo of Larry when he was young, he still looked old!

..says the oldest looking man ever......:P

Advertisement